The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 March 2024, 10:12 PM   #1
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Going in circles

Hey Rolexforum fam,

I was not sure where to share this so I figured the general Non rolex forum should be fine.

I have developped a passion for watches sinces I was a kid. Started slow with fashion brands and the swatches then progressively gained knowledge and taste and I was blessed enough to have some professional successes on the way that made nice collecting possible.

Over the last 20 years, I have built a collection of say a dozen watches including APs, PPs, Vacheron, Moser, IWC etc. Mostly sports model as this is my style (and for the avoidance of doubt a collection that was started before the hype, when even APs or PPs were selling below retail on grey - just preempting the comments that will acuse me of having lost interest because the opportunity to make a profit decreased (I have never sold a watch).

I used to spend an unreasonable amount of time on the web, looking at novelties, thinking about the next one etc. And I found that truly amusing, a nice hobby that I shared with a few selected friends.

However for the last 2 years, my enthusiasm has gradually and drastically decreased. I still follow the market but much less so and it's a bit like I don't really care anymore.

I struggle to find new models to put on my lists that truly excite me and have lost interest in some that I really wanted to collect just a couple years ago.

I have 2 theories.

1) The 2 last watches (that today make up 80% of my wrist time) I added to the collection were really "grail" pieces for me, so maybe a part of me feels "fullfilled"

2) The market is going in circles and there isn't much new stuff coming and once you have been around for a while, you just see the same variations of the same models being launched (a new nautilus in rose gold, an AP with a slightly different dial etc...)

I still have one or two watches that I really like but there always used to be a good dozen that were on the list...

Long post, but just wanted to see if others were like me, or maybe I just need a shrink...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 10:32 PM   #2
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

I feel the exact same way. I’m not sure why.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 10:47 PM   #3
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I started about 9 years ago and I'm still very interested in watches today. I started collecting Patek (I still do because I find Patek fascinating and their new releases intrigue me year after year) and then ventured out into Journe and the other artisanal independents. Last year I traveled to Geneva and visited some independent workshops and saw how their designers design watches, watchmakers finish movement components, assemble and QC. It was enlightening and I learned a lot from the experience. I hope to visit again soon because I did not manage to meet some talented watchmakers last year.

Most independent watchmakers are friendly, humble and passionate with their crafts. I'm excited to see their new releases. At the moment, I'm waiting for 7 stunners... and the wait is excruciating.

There are too many nice watches from different manufacturers and I doubt I will ever get bored of them. Presently I focus on watches with interior angles and/or interesting handcrafts. I'm so glad I started this hobby 9 years ago.

All Hail Interior Angles.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 10:54 PM   #4
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I don’t think my enthusiasm has decreased, but I think I’m feeling more fatigue/annoyed by certain people who are now involved in watch collecting. I still like seeing new releases, and still request pieces from the ADs that I worked with.

Personally I feel that the people that one interacts really helps make the hobby enjoyable. I think some people on TRF have generally lost their ability to give honest opinions about a piece due to their association with a particular brand. If we can’t even be honest about a brand’s shortcomings as anonymous individuals here on TRF, there’s really no point having conversation about watches on here…..
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:10 PM   #5
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

@ Ichiran - I too went the independent route (or at least am looking at that market segment much more). I guess I have been very picky.

@ HMHM - you raise an interesting point. It might be that as well acutally. With the hype, the crazy price increases, maybe I just don't like the crowds and the attention this market has drawn... [EDIT] and also generally the "relationship" building, the "bundling", the AD games. I have developped good relationships with the brands I like over time (again starting before the hype) that being said all that happened obviously affects me as well and I must say I found it all ridiculous...

@ aczaja - maybe we'll find a cure ;-)
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:28 PM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
1) The 2 last watches (that today make up 80% of my wrist time) I added to the collection were really "grail" pieces for me, so maybe a part of me feels "fullfilled"
That's wonderful, and yes makes sense of course.

Quote:
2) The market is going in circles and there isn't much new stuff coming and once you have been around for a while, you just see the same variations of the same models being launched (a new nautilus in rose gold, an AP with a slightly different dial etc...)
Only speaking for myself, about 15 years ago felt that way. In recent years, tho, with H. Moser, Czapek, MB&F, Armin Strom, Trilobe, Laurent Ferrier, Vianney Halter., Gronefeld.. and so many others. Yes i see you enjoy a variety, tho perhaps take a dip into something more 'exotic' and FUN :)

Break free of the normal, even on the value side such as the CW C1 Bel Canto... or sit back for five years and enjoy what you have currently, do something else in the meantime... and when the time is right / if you choose, then come back to TRF.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 02:42 AM   #7
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
There is merit in pairing down your collection. When it becomes only about collecting watches, collecting for show, or the next new thing, something is missing. In my experience, the watch has to fit who you are and what you do.

My first watch was a Speedmaster. I felt good about wearing it as a young man around town at dinners, bars, sporting events, basically any social occasion. I took it on all of my travels, slept with it, showered with it, swam with it, I even got laid a few times wearing it. Back then only a few people knew what it was or even cared about it. But it boosted my moral. Then I got a Pepsi. Same feeling all over again. Stepped up to a gen 2 Vacheron Overseas Chrono. Felt like a big swinging dick with a way underrated (at the time) watch. Riding high.

But then I got the Patek world time 5130G, thinking it could only get better. It was a Patek after all. Except, it just didn't have the same gravitas. I couldn't DO the things I like to do with a dress watch on. Got a BP Bathyscaphe thinking a waterproof dive watch would get me back on track. Things got worse. It was ugly and plain to my eye. When I saw pictures of me wearing it, I looked like a dick without the big or the swinging part. Zenith El Primero. Same. Zenith A386 because it was vintage. Too delicate. Rolex II 42mm. Not as cool as my GMT. A few other hit and misses. Then rock bottom with Gold Daytona full cuff... admittedly I got it to flex more than really liking it, which was both immature with a clear showing of insecurity... By this time, I was collecting for the wrong reasons. I had lost sight of my watch-loving self.

This sad story sounds like an episode from drug addicts anonymous. But unlike losing yourself in drugs and alcohol, losing sight of your watch collecting purpose is a real problem.

Luckily, I've paired it down to only a select few that I actually wear. There are still pieces that I have my eye on, and may acquire at some point. In the meantime, I don't feel the urge to get every new watch that comes along. I appreciate them for what they are and know that my desire to have it will likely pass. If it doesn't pass, with enough time passed and delicate consideration, I will just blow a fat rail and go get it.

That's what I've learned.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 03:31 AM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I have been collecting for 30+ years. Starting with Rolex and other "name brands" but took a break for 10+ years with only 2-3 additions during the 10 years. Right before the pandemic, I started to look into independents and during the 2 years lock-down, I ended up adding too many pieces (IMHO) to my collection as I got caught in the craze as many have during the pandemic years.

I was starting to feel the fatigue by end of 2022. I have looked at my collection and start to see what pieces I really appreciate at this stage. So now I have enforced a 2 pieces (at most 3) per year rule on myself. Out of the two pieces, one is likely to be a FPJ (if I am lucky to get an allocation) as the aesthetics of FPJ does speak to me. The second piece will be another independent and I need to provide myself a set of good reasons for acquiring the piece. It can be for the movement design, finishing, innovation, etc.

I feel that this will give me time to appreciate each piece with the research and anticipation. Also, it will allow enough wrist time that each piece deserves.

I can see how buying the "same" watch (Nautilius, RO, etc) with difference size, complication or case material can be tiresome.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2024, 12:42 AM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I can relate to the OP and found that branching out into non-traditional and historical models helped. I like the history of Seiko and the divers from the 60's. Most have been remade now and are a fun way to stay involved and learn and not break the bank in the process. Other brands that are fun are Omega, Tissot, Hamilton, Grand Seiko, etc.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 02:08 AM   #10
nnicot
"TRF" Member

We're still in a never-before-seen watch craze which has really put a damper on the average collector's ability to buy what they like at retail. People lucky enough to own certain pieces before the hype train took off are sitting pretty, while those who might genuinely love a Naut or RO are left in the cold or forced to pay resale. Combined with all these grey market dealers on social media (why do so many of them look like ex-con men?), traditional (maybe casual) watch enthusiasts can be squeezed out of the hobby.

You did also say that you have achieved two grails--probably the perfect time to take a step back and smell the roses for the time being :D.
nnicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 03:17 AM   #11
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve had watches for quite some time, but have admittedly gotten far more in the past 5 years. I’m definitely come to the conclusion there’s a maximum number of watches for me, which really is 5 (I’m one above that number, but it’s in service).

With 5, all the watches are ones I want to wear and rotate them a lot. When I had more, some didn’t get any wrist time at all. I guess part of it was getting the watches I really viewed as realistic end game pieces, which basically means there’s not much more I want.

That said, I still like looking at new pieces, seeing and hearing about other pieces people have gotten. And for some of them I think it would be nice to—like I was looking at pictures of a 40mm Moser Pioneer that I didn’t know existed, and thought maybe. But then I thought what would it replace, and I couldn’t think of anything. So mostly I’m just content with what I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bmats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 05:54 PM   #12
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

There are way too many watches I would like, and plenty in the “grail” category.

This thread needs pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 07:35 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can sort of relate to your first point in that I’ve reached a point where I’m happy with my small collection, and I don’t feel the urge to add anything. Part of that comes from having experienced a lot of different references from different brands and knowing what works and doesn’t work.

Having said that, I’m still excited each year for the new releases.

I do miss the old Basel World trade show format and Jocke’s adventures.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 07:48 PM   #14
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
...2) The market is going in circles and there isn't much new stuff coming and once you have been around for a while, you just see the same variations of the same models being launched (a new nautilus in rose gold, an AP with a slightly different dial etc...)
Also consider a possible variation on this: once you have been around for a while, and if you have done your share of shuffling a variety of watches in/out of your collection, then you probably have actually experienced ownership of just about everything that draws your interest.

Now you know what you like best, and you own them, and you wear them often. I guess it's not a bad thing.

Some enthusiasts at this point may take up the challenge of collecting watches that are rare and/or historically important.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote