The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 March 2024, 11:11 PM   #1
Claudius
"TRF" Member

Watch: JLC Ref. Q4148480
GMT or Worldtimer

Broad question for the group:

I took a new job that entails a lot of international travel, so I am now looking for a “traveler’s watch.” I like the concept of the worldtimer, but I would prefer a “true” WT over a dual timer like the JLC MC geographic or Nomos Weltzeit.

That said, is the WT significantly more functional than a flyer GMT with a rotating 24 hour bezel?

The WTs that have grabbed my attention are the JLC Geophysic Universal Time and the Chopard Time Traveler One. What are your thoughts on those models? Ideally, I would like a sub 40mm watch, but I realize the decreased size raises legibility issues.

If price were no option, I would go for a Patek or VC, which gives you an idea of my aesthetic tastes.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 11:20 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Aesthetically I prefer the WT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240302_211930_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg (279.3 KB, 377 views)
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2024, 12:40 AM   #3
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
I have collected and used a lot of dual time and GMT watches. Also traveled millions of miles for work and adventure. I won’t consider one without a date. When traveling extensively through multiple time zones, you’re often without proper sleep, fatigued, jet-lagged, perhaps hungover, and not of optimum computing capacity. The date is a helpful complication, and I think dual time watches that lack a date are stupid. Just my opinion.

What size range of timepiece are you okay with? Appears you’re looking for more of a dress watch, less sports watch vibe?
Old 3 March 2024, 01:16 AM   #4
Claudius
"TRF" Member

I am open to either, but I tend towards dress watches. All the models I own except for the explorer 124170 are dressy. That said, I don’t want something too delicate to withstand travel through airports. I was surprised by the specs of the JLC; it appears to be fairly hardy for that sort of watch.

It sounds like you are a fan of the dual time, but with the important caveat that it include a date. What are some of your favorite watches?
Old 3 March 2024, 01:17 AM   #5
Claudius
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Aesthetically I prefer the WT.
Gorgeous grail!
Old 3 March 2024, 02:17 AM   #6
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
I have these two as my travel watches
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4329.jpeg (113.7 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_4435.jpeg (127.2 KB, 351 views)
Old 3 March 2024, 02:21 AM   #7
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I am open to either, but I tend towards dress watches. All the models I own except for the explorer 124170 are dressy. That said, I don’t want something too delicate to withstand travel through airports. I was surprised by the specs of the JLC; it appears to be fairly hardy for that sort of watch.

It sounds like you are a fan of the dual time, but with the important caveat that it include a date. What are some of your favorite watches?
JLC movements are often the best. You’ll find them in higher end watch brands like AP and VC. Yes a date and good legibility are top on my list. Trying to think of less clunky options.

Clean and legible:
JLC Q1428530 or 1428530.
Moser Heritage dual time. It is gorgeous and has can’t miss legibility

A tad clunky but more fun:
Tudor Heritage Advisor 79620TN or 79620T. Dual time with date and alarm!
Panerai Radiomir Gmt Alarm PAM 00355. Dual time, date and alarm!

Bridging the gap between sporty and dressy:
Ulysse Nardin Executive Dual Time Blue Dial 243-20-3/43, and many of its previous iterations.
Chopard L.U.C GMT One Black Limited Edition 168579-3004 (or any of them). For legibility, I like the bigger hands of the GMT.

Currently pricey but falling quickly:
AP Royal Oak Dual Time 26120ST.OO.1220ST.03 or 26120ST.OO.1220ST.01 (JLC movement which is robust, durable and accurate)
Vacheron Overseas Gen2 dual time (same JLC movement!)
Breguet Hora Mundi

Probably too clunky but awesome travel companions:
Sky-Dweller
Explorer II
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT Worldtimer
Old 3 March 2024, 03:15 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Aaaah yes, i remember all that traveling. Imho a Worldtimer, especially if you also have a lot of international clients. Had the PP 5110rg, and am very impressed with the Montblanc. The center area adds day / night darkening / lightening as well. Pretty trick and fun imho.

My wife also wears it, her custom strap.

Montblanc_Stingray_Dial.jpg

Pay careful attention to the center bit when he changes the time.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 12:50 AM   #9
GameAndWatch2018
"TRF" Member

Another vote for the LUC GMT One Black! Very underrated I think. Limited to 250 pieces, stands up to wear and tear via ceramic titanium, and feels light on the wrist. As mentioned walks the sporty and dressy line nicely with its strap and case design. Took mine to Japan and was great!
GameAndWatch2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 01:33 AM   #10
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Broad question for the group:

I took a new job that entails a lot of international travel, so I am now looking for a “traveler’s watch.” I like the concept of the worldtimer, but I would prefer a “true” WT over a dual timer like the JLC MC geographic or Nomos Weltzeit.

That said, is the WT significantly more functional than a flyer GMT with a rotating 24 hour bezel?

The WTs that have grabbed my attention are the JLC Geophysic Universal Time and the Chopard Time Traveler One. What are your thoughts on those models? Ideally, I would like a sub 40mm watch, but I realize the decreased size raises legibility issues.

If price were no option, I would go for a Patek or VC, which gives you an idea of my aesthetic tastes.
Just make sure you try on any watch you are considering to verify legibility. If you are a young man, WT's are the best, an incredibly underrated tool watch. If you are starting to lose your vision and "play trombone" with your phone a little, be careful.

I'm 52 and I can't really see the small inner dial of an Aqua Terra without readers. Renders a great watch pretty useless for me.

I also prefer the WT's that have the DST "sliding lines" to indicate DST time where applicable as well. The 5130 Patek pre owned is my dream watch someday.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 05:35 AM   #11
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

My absolute favorite dual time watches are JLC Duometre and Breguet Hora Mundi. Both are far too large for my wrists, so I went with the JLC MG. In addition to the DST markings, the world disc and second time zone can move independently of each other as well. For a watch with so many complications, it is decently legible.
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 07:19 AM   #12
agriculture&watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss Made
Worldtimer is in my opinion better choice
agriculture&watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 08:59 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Where are you going to be travelling to most frequently?

Some considerations:

1. Having to take the watch off to go through security sometimes. Sometimes security also looks at the watch and they have slippery fingers lol...

2. Some watches attract more attention than others, I prefer non-PM for this reason and no Rolex/PP/AP.

3. If you're going to humid countries or going to be in hotel pools a lot, then something with a lot of WR is nice because you can take the watch with you to the pool without worrying about theft.

4. You'll be wearing the watch a lot continuously. This is rough on leather especially in humid countries. So you'll chew through straps.

With the above in mind, I'd go with something that has a bracelet over leather, and something with good WR and shock resistance.

For me, that was a Grand Seiko GMT. My cofounder also uses a GS GMT as his travel watch. SBGE255 and SBGE275. We also have to go to a lot of sketchy places like rural China, India, and Mexico though...so your considerations may not be the same as ours. It's nice when I'm visiting one of our facilities in another country and can just tell people its a Seiko when they ask.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote