The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 May 2024, 07:42 PM   #31
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
Answer:
I still work on Wall Street after 40+ years (LOVE the action) and over those years I have dealt with some of the uppermost 1/100th of a % richest human beings and their family offices……I have personally been invited to their homes and seen some collections that would tantalize even King Midas and Abraham Breguet!!! And several Billionaires (US, EU, ASIAN) confided to me that their “little collections” are nowhere near Mr. Stallones. Period. End of story. I will not discuss this any further…….
Geez.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:21 PM   #32
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-NJDEVILS View Post
Answer:
I still work on Wall Street after 40+ years (LOVE the action) and over those years I have dealt with some of the uppermost 1/100th of a % richest human beings and their family offices……I have personally been invited to their homes and seen some collections that would tantalize even King Midas and Abraham Breguet!!! And several Billionaires (US, EU, ASIAN) confided to me that their “little collections” are nowhere near Mr. Stallones. Period. End of story. I will not discuss this any further…….
And that is my friends why “secondary grey market is dead!”.
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:23 PM   #33
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I wonder how Patek feels about him selling these pieces. Part of me thinks they like it as it is fantastic marketing for them.
Giovannibravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 10:56 PM   #34
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

A fact of life is that there is always someone with a bigger you know what than you. That will apply to Stallone too. There are business people who have made in a year what Stallone will have made in his career.
Love the fella though and what he did with Panerai in the 90/2000s but we all need to calm down a little here. Next people will be saying he is best actor in Hollywood!
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2024, 11:12 PM   #35
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

This is an excellent PR play for everyone involved, especially considering the slowing down of demand and the now-defunct 1960s Trinity marketing campaign has run its course. The auction house and Patek will do quite nicely and generate much-needed headlines for their perspective shareholders.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:09 AM   #36
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Say what you will about Stallone, and what you might think of him now, but he's 100% self-made. You may not be a fan of his movies, but I would argue Rocky was an independent film from the standpoint of one person's vision and ambition.

He is hugely responsible for the entire action film genre, which is the main economic driver for Hollywood. So in some ways, you can credit him with being the economic engine the partially feeds independent and artsy films. Without this financial engine, independent films would have a harder time getting funded or get big name actors willing to get paid spec to be in independent films.

Anyway, he also loves BIG TIME watches. Nothing subtle about his collection. You can quibble about tastes, which is subjective, but none of his watches are "generic", if that's the right word for it.

I doubt Patek has a problem with this. Why would they? I'm sure he's responsible for a pretty substantial book of business. He's one of the guys Patek can go to and say "Hey Stallone, want a new fancy watch", and Stallone would say "Absolutely" and not even mention price.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 06:16 AM   #37
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Like Joaquin says: “the watch market is dead”. He’s cashing in. Can’t blame him. One of the smartest dummies out there ;)

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 07:29 AM   #38
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Someone online is now claiming that Sly’s Patek is a re-sealed watch.
So who’s telling the truth?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 08:50 AM   #39
FloridaBill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
I was just disappointed his Grandmaster Chime is still in the plastic wrapping. This is just plain stupid as these watches are meant to be enjoyed, not locked away for years in a hermitically sealed bag waiting for someone to pay more.
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 10:04 AM   #40
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i'm sure he ran it by patek before doing this, he knows well enough what flipping watches means. anyway, love Stallone and always found his story fascinating. it's awesome to see him still wearing the watches he bought 40-50 years ago while people are starting to chase them second hand now
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 10:16 AM   #41
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Best part to me was mentioning the late GREAT Greg Allman as his inspiration
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 01:03 PM   #42
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I wish he kept the Cartier since it’s engraved and has a great story. I passed the halfway point in life a while back and started to look at my big collection sitting in a safe and can’t help but think it’s not the right way to go.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 01:25 PM   #43
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
i'm sure he ran it by patek before doing this, he knows well enough what flipping watches means. anyway, love Stallone and always found his story fascinating. it's awesome to see him still wearing the watches he bought 40-50 years ago while people are starting to chase them second hand now

Maybe he ran it by them, but he sure seems to be concluding his watch journey. I can’t envision him reaching out to them for the next purchase even if they said ‘ok’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 02:18 PM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This thread is hilarious. He's no billionaire and I will eat my trickers with a fork and knife if he has the best collection in the world. If he did he wouldn't shy away from wearing a grand master chime. There are collectors with multiples of those gem set etc. Some collectors have bottomless pockets.
Old 9 May 2024, 02:35 PM   #45
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb-man View Post
this thread is hilarious. He's no billionaire and i will eat my trickers with a fork and knife if he has the best collection in the world. If he did he wouldn't shy away from wearing a grand master chime. There are collectors with multiples of those gem set etc. Some collectors have bottomless pockets.
100%

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 03:52 PM   #46
dlmocdm
"TRF" Member

I found quite outrageous that his Grandmaster Chime is still in the plastic wrapping. He owned it, yet he never touched it.
dlmocdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 04:41 PM   #47
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
This thread is hilarious. He's no billionaire and I will eat my trickers with a fork and knife if he has the best collection in the world. If he did he wouldn't shy away from wearing a grand master chime. There are collectors with multiples of those gem set etc. Some collectors have bottomless pockets.
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 06:24 PM   #48
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Correct and it’s as hilarious as the sale, one of the worlds biggest actors, one of the world biggest auction houses, one of the world’s biggest watch brands in one of the worlds biggest pantomimes.

Old 9 May 2024, 07:58 PM   #49
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Same thought as others - he has enough money not to care about keeping his GM Chime in plastic just so the next guy will take it out and wear it. What’s the point for him if a million or so profit isn’t going to matter after a long campaign of acquiring it. Doesn’t really make any sense with your name on the book etc. and all that work to look at it in plastic?? Plus human hands made it so, yep, it was touched before. Just not really getting it.
mjm700 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2024, 08:45 PM   #50
fozzyf18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTII,TT & SS Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Best part to me was mentioning the late GREAT Greg Allman as his inspiration
I agree.
fozzyf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 04:58 AM   #51
joa
"TRF" Member

i think he has other priorities than his "AD relationship" lol
Old 10 May 2024, 12:28 PM   #52
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 03:45 AM   #53
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmocdm View Post
I found quite outrageous that his Grandmaster Chime is still in the plastic wrapping. He owned it, yet he never touched it.
I agree it is sort of sad

I think it shows what a humble, self made man he is.

He is so proud to own it, but can’t allow himself to enjoy such a valuable piece.

Also I can’t not say some of those watches (in my opinion) are absolutely hideous. Those panerai’s and that Cartier are awful. But by comparison they do make the DD look a little…. Boring !?
kkqd1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 05:55 AM   #54
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

It's hard to listen to Sly without thinking about Kyle Dunnigan's impersonation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdg-OxxIS_o
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 06:37 AM   #55
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Patek designs generally don’t sing to me, but that grand complication is a beautiful work of art.

A true masterpiece.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 08:09 AM   #56
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
I saw him on the show with his daughters and he was wearing some nice pieces then, so knew he was a serious collector, and never heard someone quite say Reechar for Richard Mille like him, but then he knows him.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 12:22 PM   #57
unotaz
"TRF" Member

It's resealed.

His Grandmaster chime was delivered to him 2-3 years ago and it was personally delivered at Patek New York's HQ, with all of the big executives there. So there is no way for him to take delivery of the watch without ever opening the seal, it's just not possible.

Patek is pissed at him selling the watch and no, he didn't run it by them first.

So why is he selling? Because simply put, Sly is pissed at Patek.

He's been a long standing customer of Patek but he didn't receive a Tiffany blue 5711. He asked Patek and Tiffany for one repeatedly, but Patek mishandled the Tiffany 5711 situation and many truly worthy collectors like Sly didn't end up getting one. And yes, Sly was a long time Tiffany customer as well.

Instead, guys like Leo or Lebron received the Tiffany 5711 without ever having any serious Patek or Tiffany history.

You guys can make up your mind on whether this was the right move or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Someone online is now claiming that Sly’s Patek is a re-sealed watch.
So who’s telling the truth?
unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:28 PM   #58
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
It's resealed.

His Grandmaster chime was delivered to him 2-3 years ago and it was personally delivered at Patek New York's HQ, with all of the big executives there. So there is no way for him to take delivery of the watch without ever opening the seal, it's just not possible.

Patek is pissed at him selling the watch and no, he didn't run it by them first.

He's been a long standing customer of Patek but he didn't receive a Tiffany blue 5711. He asked Patek and Tiffany for one repeatedly, but Patek mishandled the Tiffany 5711 situation and many truly worthy collectors like Sly didn't end up getting one. And yes, Sly was a long time Tiffany customer as well.
Your version is the most plausible and logical version here
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 02:09 PM   #59
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
It's resealed.

Instead, guys like Leo or Lebron received the Tiffany 5711 without ever having any serious Patek or Tiffany history.

You guys can make up your mind on whether this was the right move or not.
Would be because Patek perceived Lebron and Leo to be more relevant ?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 02:49 PM   #60
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Would be because Patek perceived Lebron and Leo to be more relevant ?

I’d hazard the little arnault sent them to all his favorite A listers. Terry probably gave zero fs what they did with them. Arnault took a page out of the FHB playbook.