The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 May 2024, 01:12 PM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Precise movements from microbrands less important after smartphones?

Let's face it, by 2024, everyone has a watch in his smartphone and it's absolutely doable to go around without a watch. The time from a digital device will not be less accurate than the time from any mechanical device like a watch. Some of us even wear an electronic watch, including health trackers, on ordinary days. Further, most of us are not pilots and do not rely on wristwatches, not even fancy chronographs, to accurately track time to the last second throughout the day. (And the smartphone has a stopwatch too.)

This means one's watch is really more decorative than functional no matter what one's says. It's seen as the main item of jewelry a man can wear, something to differentiate him even in post-Covid casual dress and something to express his personality with.

If you look at the criticism against a microbrand like Kurono Tokyo, people argue the design is wonderful and the finishes are well above average, but the movement is subpar. They argue that the artistry should be equally reflected inside.

But in a smartphone age, how relevant is an inaccuracy of several seconds per day to people? Especially when you rotate watches and have to set a simpler watch like a Kurono every time you rotate into it?

Does this rightly justify just enjoying a lower price point brand like Kurono for the aesthetic when taking a break from one's Big 3 perpetual chronograph?

Discuss.
FrançoisCzapek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 04:53 PM   #2
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
You must be kidding if you ask this question on a WATCH enthusiast forum.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 04:57 PM   #3
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

I know I should be kidding, but really wonder if the thought is worth exploring especially for those starting out or those who just want to try something without a huge commitment.

If not, then the likes of Kurono will always be criticized and always placed beside a watch 100x the price.
Old 13 May 2024, 06:31 PM   #4
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Are you a sales exec with Kurono?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 07:15 PM   #5
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

no, it's just the example I can think of because they are launching something this week and I was thinking to buy. it's also exactly one that's criticized for the movement but not for the design.