The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 December 2006, 09:18 AM   #1
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Rolex, "it don't shine like it should"

Okay guys, here is another one for you. My 21 year old Sub don't (doesn't)shine like it did in the old days. I don't mean during the day, I mean at night. Actually the markers have turned a pinkish color.

My options; I could have a new Rolex dial put on my Sub......but do the new ones shine all night? I'm sure if I take it in for service and a new dial, bezel ring, and hands, I will be stareing down the barrell of $1000. The watch runs perfect, it "just don't shine like it should". I'll shell out the "one large" if when I get it back it is so bright it keeps me up at night.

.......or

I could buy some other watch, that shines like the stars on a midnight run from Tolly Point to Tilghman Island. But then........what watch should I buy?

Luminox? Pretty nice looking watch for $225, forgot the model name, ss round case, black dial, leather band.

.....or some other more pricy swiss automatic?? I mean in the $2000 max range.

So, what do you think? Should I tank the pink markings dial, or is that some collectors dream. Get a new dial, hands, etc. for the Sub and it will shine all night?

or buy?????

Help.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 09:41 AM   #2
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Keep your current watch as is, give it its routine service but I don't know if you want to change the dial and hands as RSC in the states will keep your old parts. RSC in asia are more flexible and you can request to have the old dial and hands returned to you.

As for diving and swimming, for a watch 21 years old, maybe its time for it to see less action and get pamper more.

As for getting a new watch, if you just need something to tell time and be able to go into water with.

Invicta
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=U...&creative=9325

That or a seiko monster:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=U...&creative=9325
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Well, at 21 years of age your watch should have a tritium dial. Tritium has a half life of about 12.5 years.
Tritium is a mildly radioactive substance that in an of itself does not glow. Rather, tritium is one of three components that make up the paint matrix used on older Rolex watches.
1. Tritium--the catlyst
2. Phosphor--the stuff that glows--excited by the tritium
3. the bonding agent that holds it all together--about 90% of the stuff you see.

At this point what you're experiencing is the weak "glow" of the phosphors more than anything.

As tritium emite beta particles (won't penerate the crystal) it did not need an external light source to "glow".

New dials (since circa 1998 when tritium was removed from use) use a substance called luminova. Luminova, or superluminova, needs a light source to become excited. Hence while I've experienced some lume through out the night with luminova it does not have the consistency of tritium in it's prime.

The "pinkish" color you describe is commonly refered to as "patina" This is a natural process of the break down of the bonding agent over time.

There are several theroies as to why this occurs. 1. Humidity entering the case. 2. exposure over time to UV radition. Some feel it's a drying of the bonding agent over time.

All seem to agree the proper maintance is the key to preservation.

Now, would it be possible to post a photo of the watch. A 21 year old sub could be a couple of different references. If your dial lacks WG surrounds--matt dial. 1985 might put you in the "crossover" period when Rolex switched from matt non WG to gloss WG. Replacing a matt dial might well destroy the collectability of the piece. I WOULD NOT recommend that.

Does your dial look like this? 5513 matt

Or, does it look like this 16800 matt

If not your watch has WG surrounds on a gloss dial.
It should still say "SWISS T<25" at 6 o'clock indicating less than 25 milicuries of radition--standard legend for Rolex tritium dials of the period.
While currently not AS collectable I would really hesitate replacing the dial. In my view any trit dial in decent shape is worth more to the collector than a lumi replacement.

I would insure the watch is in good working order, pressure proofed and enjoy it!

Lumminox uses a "gas light" system that does not rely on an outside source to activate. While it will glow all the time, my own experience is that it isn't quite as bright at least at first as a good luminova dial.

Now, Rolx lume is not as good in my view as other brands (Seiko is fantastic) Omega is very good. The reason for this is twofold. 1. surface area-the more Luminova the better the glow. 2. the look--Rolex mixes their luminova to appear white on the dial. Other brands sometimes have a faint greenish hue to the markers- natural for luminova-more glow, longer lasting glow.

If it were me, of course without seeing the watch, I'd leave the Rolex as is and hunt for a nice Seiko (affordable) or Omega (more upscale but within your price).
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 10:50 AM   #4
AJC
"TRF" Member

As usual,Mike our resident Rolex information man is spot on. The only thing I could add would be to check out Bill Yao's range of watches at Mk II watches if your looking for something different to the everyday watch.

They do a great range of divers watches with many customizations to suit all needs and budgets.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 11:03 AM   #5
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Are you talking about the watches that look like subs with a blank black dial?
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 11:05 AM   #6
aeroguy

"Lumminox uses a "gas light" system that does not rely on an outside source to activate. While it will glow all the time, my own experience is that it isn't quite as bright at least at first as a good luminova dial."

I actually sleep wearing a Lumminox watch. It's amazing as its brightness is uniform and... well... bright. If I charge up my new Sub, the Sub will outshine the Lummionx... for about 5 minutes.
aeroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 01:18 PM   #7
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Jim, for a benchmark, RSC Dallas just refurbished my Submariner Chronometer (a 5512 I bought in '67) for $813.50. New dial (to correct what a watchmaker did to it in '99) all 3 hands, service/regulate movement, new Triplock crown & tube, crystal, refinish case/bracelet and new bezel insert. Superb work. Of course, my Sub has a soul. Cost wasn't an object.

Another tritium dial/hands option is any of the Ball Watches. As you can see from my "signature" I own three. IMO they're excellent watches, and a great value. But then I'm old and foolish.

Tritium lost popularity due to perceived radiologocal concerns and control of the material. In the US, the NRC decided to regulate the issue, requiring vendors to be licensed. I read somewhere it took Ball USA two years to get approval for distribution.

http://www.ballwatchusa.com/index.html

http://www.ballwatch.com/

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 01:30 PM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
For another thread, but would love to hear some stories of your 5512! How and why you bought it back then, how it has held up, what have you taken it through. Was that your first service?
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2006, 02:45 PM   #9
cowboy

Watch: Rolex 16613 Black
Get an Seiko orange monster. It lumes very well and has a slightly different dial color than your sub. Price is right, too. You can find them inexpensively on eBay.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 12:42 PM   #10
jburson250
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Leopardprey, thanks for your interest.

Since this is a service-related thread, I'll answer your last question right here.

This most recent service was its sixth in forty years, although some required send-backs. The worst of these involved RSC NY in tbe '70s. That involved two send-backs and fourteen months to resolve. After that abuse, I swore I'd never put the Sub in RSC hands again.

Thirty years, and a compelling need to know that my old friend was still completely authentic led me to give Dallas a try. It was a tough lump to swallow, but I'm delighted I sent it there. The decision was influenced by several positive posts here on TRF.

Is your Explorer 1 vintage? Old or new, an extraordinary timepiece with a grand heritage.

Explorer 214270.
Sea-Dweller 126600.
Sea-Dweller Deepsea 126660 Black.
Submariner 5512.
PAM 514 Radiomir 1940.
Railmaster XXL 2806.52.37.
Speedmaster Moonphase 304.33.44.52.01.001.
RIP JJ
jburson250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2006, 02:20 PM   #11
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
No, I have a brand new Z Series sub I just bought in Honk Kong. Plan on keeping it for 40 years and then handing it on down to the next generation.

Thanks for the info. I have heard also that Rolex service in NYC is not the best, that Dallas, or Hong Kong, or Bangkok is much better..
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote