The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 17 February 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Tunacan26
Banned

Watch: Hulk, DJ, Bluesy
Abouttime.com -- This story sound legit?

Ok, you guys are the real Rolex pros, I'm a mere rookie. While I have owned one in the past and crave another one now, I know very little. Anyway, just had a long conversation with a person with abouttime.com. He tells me abouttime.com is NOT a Rolex AD, BUT his partner's store is. Thus, the watch I would buy from abouttime.com would have a real 100% genuine Rolex warranty. He prices a brand new TT Datejust (116233 -- jubilee bracelet) at $6,650. Ok, so, anyone care to chime in if this sounds "to good to be true"? Thanks so much.
Tunacan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunacan26 View Post
Ok, you guys are the real Rolex pros, I'm a mere rookie. While I have owned one in the past and crave another one now, I know very little. Anyway, just had a long conversation with a person with abouttime.com. He tells me abouttime.com is NOT a Rolex AD, BUT his partner's store is. Thus, the watch I would buy from abouttime.com would have a real 100% genuine Rolex warranty. He prices a brand new TT Datejust (116233 -- jubilee bracelet) at $6,650. Ok, so, anyone care to chime in if this sounds "to good to be true"? Thanks so much.
If the warranty is stamped by the AD and the mumbers match and the buyer is left blank it may be true. I have heard of this happening but not often.
Earl Camembert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:50 AM   #3
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Tunacan, I'm not 100% sure, but if you buy a NEW Rolex from a "GREY" dealer, i.e. abouttime.com, your warranty would be voided. IF on the other hand, that grey dealer also owned an AD store (Authorized Dealer), I guess it would be his call whether or not to honor the warranty. Some of the more seasoned vets here can tell you for sure, though.
cajunron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Tunacan26
Banned

Well, let's hope some seasoned vets step up?
Old 17 February 2010, 05:27 PM   #5
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
Hi Tunacan26,

Welcome to TRF

I have to agree with Earl here, there has been cases of blank warranty papers floating around.that 16233 would be a TT DJ from the early 90's, unless its new old stock and never worn I would say the watch would only be covered by the local warranty from the gray dealer, I would check into the history of the watch, the serial will state the year of manufacture.

I know there has been chit chat on Gray dealers on selling new Rolex watches, but i know that Rolex ar not keen on this as it does displace the first one year warranty as only a Rolex AD can present these warranties as only a Rolex RSC can give you the one year warranty after a service.

Look into this deal very carefully, check the history on the watch, remember you may not get the one year warranty from purchase, but any services you do in the future will cover you for a year.

Hope this helps a bit, I have only ever purchased from AD's in the past, but my next purchase will be through one of the great sellers here on TRF.

Dave.

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by idk01 View Post
I have to agree with Earl here,
Old 17 February 2010, 06:23 PM   #7
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
Indeed , what Earl is saying is true . It actually used to happen a lot more with the paper warranty cards . Rolex started to control more when they were getting well worn 10 year old watches in for service under warranty ...
Nowadays an AD cannot let leave a watch without the card properly filled under penalty of losing their AD status .I believe that they report the buyers name and date to RSC of the respective country as and when the watch is sold . It still happens .... believe me .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Tunacan26
Banned

Thanks for the replies, but my ignorance just doesn't quite get all this warranty card business. I mean, I know my current watch, an Omega, has a completed warranty card, completed by the AD I bought it from. So, when purchasing a gray market watch, do you just get a totally BLANK warranty card? Meaning, any work done at Rolex if needed would be out of pocket? Likely I imagine. The curious thing is the person at abouttime.com seemed to imply this was a BRAND NEW MOST CURRENT watch, coming directly from Rolex (my understanding was the partner store was an AD) for which warranty work at Rolex (if needed) would be available. I dunno, you guys are the experts here, but something sounds a little fishy to me.
Old 17 February 2010, 10:28 PM   #9
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
Don't know about the warranty issue but I'm not overly impressed by their web site. Very hard to navigate. Mostly stock pictures shown and then, only one. Thus, the buyer must ask for additional pictures. This forces one from the outset to give up all kinds of contact info. I have enough spam to contend with as is.
Old 18 February 2010, 05:45 AM   #10
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTX View Post
Mostly stock pictures shown and then, only one.
I have no direct knowledge about ANY particular gray market seller; there are different types of gray market watches. One the gray market seller buys and owns the watches from an AD; usually the AD has to move old stock to make room for new or he may be going out of business or losing his AD status so one is buying from the gray market seller's stock.

Another way is the gray market seller has a buyer for a particular Rolex watch he does not own. What he does is contact an AD that he works with as a middle man; there can be one or one hundred depending on the amount of sales the gray middle man generates. The watch is then shipped to the gray middle man or it may even be drop shipped directly from the AD to the buyer.

As you can see if a gray middle many moves a few thousand watches a year he can get a good price from his AD "partners".
Old 18 February 2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Tunacan26
Banned

Thanks for the responses. Just on a goof I stopped by an AD today. I'm not a customer, not getting any special deals. Nevertheless, he quoted me a 15% off retail price on a TT datejust. Might be a sign of the economic times....I continue to be wary of many grey market type dealers....Shouldn't be so hard to get a decent deal on a watch.
Old 18 February 2010, 08:11 AM   #12
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Just on a goof I stopped by an AD today. I'm not a customer, not getting any special deals. Nevertheless, he quoted me a 15% off retail price on a TT datejust. Might be a sign of the economic times....I continue to be wary of many grey market type dealers....Shouldn't be so hard to get a decent deal on a watch.
Rolex makes a fine watch, no question about that, but its premium value is in it's name. One pays three times the intrinsic value of the watch because of the name. Squeez a seller be it AD or eBay, make sure it is the real deal, and when the good times roll again one may actually have an investment watch.
Old 18 February 2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Tunacan26
Banned

So, I spoke at length with a co-owner of abouttime.com today. I figured she wsas the co-owner based on the name she told me, and review of their website info. Very nice person. She tells me the Rolex I buy from them WILL have an AD stamped on thier warranty doc. Unfortunately, she wouldn't tell me who that company was....Geez. Bothered me. Anyway, quoted me $6,735 (credit card) on 116233 TT (most recent Model series....) or 2% less with cash payment, incl. personal check. Certainly nice price I think....

Again, thanks for the people responding to this post, must think I'm a damn dope!
Old 18 February 2010, 10:30 PM   #14
idk01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So, I spoke at length with a co-owner of abouttime.com today. I figured she wsas the co-owner based on the name she told me, and review of their website info. Very nice person. She tells me the Rolex I buy from them WILL have an AD stamped on thier warranty doc. Unfortunately, she wouldn't tell me who that company was....Geez. Bothered me. Anyway, quoted me $6,735 (credit card) on 116233 TT (most recent Model series....) or 2% less with cash payment, incl. personal check. Certainly nice price I think....

Again, thanks for the people responding to this post, must think I'm a damn dope!
Dope??? no reason to think that at all my friend!!! I'd say they are on selling or ordering on your behalf and making a few $$$ on the deal themselves

Old 19 February 2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Tunacan26
Banned

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Old 12 April 2010, 05:56 AM   #16
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
...and -

Well Tunacan26. What happened?
Did you do the deal or neg?.
just curious.!
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 08:06 AM   #17
Tunacan26
Banned

Nope. Though not because of any ill feelings about the company.
Old 12 April 2010, 08:27 AM   #18
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Ok. thats cool.
I was just wondering how it went.
thx
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2010, 07:01 PM   #19
idk01
"TRF" Member

Chuck, Any tine you need a look into something let us know.

Best of luck on the hunt