The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
Again for Rolex/magnatism

Checking again; does anyone have any experience with a Rolex being magnatised by steroes, power drills, etc?

How are Rolex sport models in general for magnetic resistance?

Thanks

Chris
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Lloyd

Watch: Rolex sub 5513
Not with a Rolex, but about 20 years ago, we used a powerfull magnetic generator to erase audio cassette tape, and much to everyones amasement, i let work about 20 min early, only to discover the following morning that my watch was 20 min ahead of my alarm clock. I seem to remember it was a quartz seiko.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 09:39 AM   #3
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
No, but I have heard that if you wear a solid gold Rollie, you become a babe magnet!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 05:57 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
No, but I have heard that if you wear a solid gold Rollie, you become a babe magnet!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Funny topic, if we will always think these things we can never wear Rolex comfortable.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Dimitris

Just get a Milgauss and you are ok.

There is a nice list with the magnetic flux density on various appliances.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/...onNumber:1.1.1
Dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 10:33 PM   #7
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris View Post
Just get a Milgauss and you are ok.

Or an Oyster Quartz.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:15 PM   #8
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Well you can find out, you still have a little time left to get this:

http://tinyurl.com/296vgs
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:49 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Checking again; does anyone have any experience with a Rolex being magnatised by steroes, power drills, etc?

How are Rolex sport models in general for magnetic resistance?

Thanks

Chris
Most modern watches today including Rolex have some magnetic Resistance.If magnetised watch will sometimes completely stop, or run very very erratic. But even if it becomes magnetised you can get them demagnetised at a watchmaker.If is not very magnetised don't even have to get the back off.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2007, 11:54 PM   #10
----

Unless you are routinely exposed to fairly high magnetic fields, I would not be too concerned. In my job I have worked with/installed induction hardening systems that create fields much larger than people experience in most everyday situations. I pulled up some old data that I have on safety around various magnetic fields:

Standards for Exposure to Static Magnetic Fields

The ACGIH and International Council on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) have set guidelines for continuous exposure to static electromagnetic fields as indicated in the table below:

Note: 1 Gauss (G) = 0.1 millitesla (mT)

5 G Highest allowed field for implanted cardiac pacemakers.
10 G Watches, credit cards, magnetic tape, computer disks damaged.
30 G Small ferrous objects present a kinetic energy hazard.
600 G Allowed TWA for routine exposure (whole body).
6000 G Allowed TWA for routine exposure (extremities).
20,000 G (2T) Whole body ceiling limit (no exposure allowed above this limit).
50,000 G (5T) Extremity ceiling limit (no exposure allowed above this limit).

I have posted signs and have installed a fence around our induction hardening equipment to indicate where the 5 Gauss (or 0.5 mT) line is, as this is where people with implanted cardiac devices could experience trouble. When the system is running, no area outside the fence exceeds 0.5 mT (and we have the equipment to measure this, at least our Research facility does). In the table above I don't know what they refer to specifically when they say watches (quartz or mechanical) but I can say that I have worn every mechanical watch I own just outside the fence with the cell running and did not have any problems whatsoever. This includes the Rolex when I had it, JLC, GO, BP, and a Seiko. Many of these are considered to be "fragile dress watches" by some, and suffered no ill consequences. So if someone who wears a pacemaker could be affected and my watches aren't, then I think that tells you that most "everyday" fields you come across are not a concern generally speaking.

We have other areas that have high magnetic fields, such as demagnetizing equipment (these are much more powerful than the type that would be used to demagnetize a watch or watch parts). I do use care around those as they are quite powerful and I have seen people with quartz watches inadvertently place their hand on one while it was running, and the watch hands spun around the dial very fast - moving an hour in a minute sort of thing. I don't believe there was any lasting damage as the watch returned to normal operation when removed from the field. Of course what that did the the going train I can only guess, but that person still wears the watch now some years later.

So although I would not intentionally subject any of my watches to what I thought was a strong magentic field, for most people these are not really an issue.
Old 4 May 2007, 04:34 AM   #11
Edensknight

Great info, Avalon!
Edensknight is offline   Reply With Quote