The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 November 2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Ulysse Nardin

I admit that I'm completely clueless about Ulysse Nardin. I've heard things about them as a manufacture, but I've never owned one of their pieces so I really have no opinions. I have no clue about their movements either.

Recently I've taken interest in their Maxi Marine Diver, does it have an in-house movement? How are Ulysse Nardin's made? How durable is it? Overall quality?

Would anybody mind telling me a bit about them, and this particular watch?

EDIT: Also what aftermarket strap options are there? I'd hate to be stuck with that horrid strap with the steel bands.

Obligatory stock pic:
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2010, 04:47 AM   #2
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
Quick, on the fly answer: Top-notch manufacture in all respects, including in-house movements. UN is on my future acquistion radar in a big way.

I wouldn't hesitate on any of their models.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Family Man

Watch: DateJust
The minute repeaters look amazing though incredibly expensive.

Peter
Family Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2010, 08:07 AM   #4
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Oh yeah, forgot: they ain't cheap, neither !

BTW: the stock rubber-with-metaljoint-insert straps are excellent. Once you see one in person you'll appreciate how beautifully they adapt around your wrist. I'd bet money you wouldn't change out the strap, they very much make the watch, IMO.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
Old 8 November 2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
It's a great watch, and they do inhouse manufacturing as far as I know..

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2010, 12:50 PM   #6
marie
"TRF" Member

Watch: UN Starry Night
I love my Ulysse Nardin Lady Diver.

If you want a watch with instant recognition, in my opinion, UN is not the watch for you. However if like me, you want very unique watch that no one else seems to be wearing, then a UN is the way to go. I really like that you really don't see a whole lot of them. If someone recognizes that the brand that you are wearing, then they really know watches.

It was sort of funny, at the Columbus GTG this year, one of the salesmen at the AD we were at asked me if my watch was a "real brand"!
In the AD's defense, he was the only one who had never heard of UN. The other sales people that I talked to, knew about UN and had many good things to say about their movements, and designs.

I really think you will like the inserts on the strap. They really add to the overall look and balance of the watch. I was concerned about the rubber strap having never owned one before. I am still surprised at how much more I like the rubber strap versus a bracelet. It is VERY durable! I wear mine every day, and it has over 160 tiny diamonds set in stainless steel, (which is very difficult to do well) and it looks amazing. The pictures don't do the watches bezel or dial justice. The wave pattern has such depth in the sunlight on the bezel. It is extremely well made imho, and worth every penny. Overall I have no complaints, except that I wish I could afford to buy another one.

BTW, I hate to admit it, but I rarely, if ever wear my Rolex now.

Old 8 November 2010, 01:01 PM   #7
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

I made a slight misstatement in reply # 2. Most of the UN movements are ETA-base, except for the very pricey high end pieces and tourbillons, which are in-house. The modifications the the base appear to be pretty cool however. Nonetheless, as I understand it, the term manufacture d'horlogerie would not apply.

They're still on my short list.

The model I would be most interested in is the RG/titanium Maxi-Marine Diver 45mm, in case anybody is thinking of surprising me with a present.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
Old 8 November 2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
I love my Ulysse Nardin Lady Diver.

If you want a watch with instant recognition, in my opinion, UN is not the watch for you. However if like me, you want very unique watch that no one else seems to be wearing, then a UN is the way to go. I really like that you really don't see a whole lot of them. If someone recognizes that the brand that you are wearing, then they really know watches.

It was sort of funny, at the Columbus GTG this year, one of the salesmen at the AD we were at asked me if my watch was a "real brand"!
In the AD's defense, he was the only one who had never heard of UN. The other sales people that I talked to, knew about UN and had many good things to say about their movements, and designs.

I really think you will like the inserts on the strap. They really add to the overall look and balance of the watch. I was concerned about the rubber strap having never owned one before. I am still surprised at how much more I like the rubber strap versus a bracelet. It is VERY durable! I wear mine every day, and it has over 160 tiny diamonds set in stainless steel, (which is very difficult to do well) and it looks amazing. The pictures don't do the watches bezel or dial justice. The wave pattern has such depth in the sunlight on the bezel. It is extremely well made imho, and worth every penny. Overall I have no complaints, except that I wish I could afford to buy another one.

BTW, I hate to admit it, but I rarely, if ever wear my Rolex now.

That's part of the reason I'm attracted to the brand. I love wearing "on the down-low" brands, and my IWC is getting more wrist time as well as my Jaeger.

I've also always been interested in independant manufactures.

Ulysse Nardin only makes 10,000 watches a year which is a major turn on for me.
Old 8 November 2010, 01:53 PM   #9
marie
"TRF" Member

Each one is numbered on the side of the case, which I like. I believe they all have exhibition backs as well.

I have only of known one other woman to have one similar to mine, and that is Greg/Moscow's wife/Erin, and she has the previous version of mine in white, with the diamonds on the hour markers. Other than that I don't think I have ever seen a UN on anyone, and I assure you, I'm always looking at the watches people are wearing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
That's part of the reason I'm attracted to the brand. I love wearing "on the down-low" brands, and my IWC is getting more wrist time as well as my Jaeger.

I've also always been interested in independant manufactures.

Ulysse Nardin only makes 10,000 watches a year which is a major turn on for me.
Old 8 November 2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Each one is numbered on the side of the case, which I like. I believe they all have exhibition backs as well.

I have only of known one other woman to have one similar to mine, and that is Greg/Moscow's wife/Erin, and she has the previous version of mine in white, with the diamonds on the hour markers. Other than that I don't think I have ever seen a UN on anyone, and I assure you, I'm always looking at the watches people are wearing..
I love the fact that they're numbered. I believe only the watches with in-house movements have display backs though.

I'm really considering this watch now... And I just had a major watch purchase two months ago as well...
Old 8 November 2010, 02:11 PM   #11
marie
"TRF" Member

I am sure you have seen me post pictures before, but here it is again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9137 (Medium).JPG (68.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 8 November 2010, 08:18 PM   #12
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
good stuff Charlie - the UN Maxi Marine Diver is quite a handsome watch (not everyone's cuppa though..)

i have tried it on again coming back from our Greece holiday this year and was offered quite an attractive price for the orange/blue version on rubber bracelet.

liked very much and it is a very bold watch, especially in the colour combo. imo - the black/silver version would be more versitle and would suit almsot every occasion.

didnt end up getting it as we were sort of running late boarding the plane... to make myself feel better, i got a 116610LN when i got back to London instead (this is another case of me wanting to "move up" then went back to Rolex instead...).

i still think it is a lovely piece and UN makes great piece... but i just can see mayself wearing that much after the honeymoon period.

(i do like the UN Freak Blue Phantom though )
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am sure you have seen me post pictures before, but here it is again.
Ohhhh, that really is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
good stuff Charlie - the UN Maxi Marine Diver is quite a handsome watch (not everyone's cuppa though..)

i have tried it on again coming back from our Greece holiday this year and was offered quite an attractive price for the orange/blue version on rubber bracelet.

liked very much and it is a very bold watch, especially in the colour combo. imo - the black/silver version would be more versitle and would suit almsot every occasion.

didnt end up getting it as we were sort of running late boarding the plane... to make myself feel better, i got a 116610LN when i got back to London instead (this is another case of me wanting to "move up" then went back to Rolex instead...).

i still think it is a lovely piece and UN makes great piece... but i just can see mayself wearing that much after the honeymoon period.

(i do like the UN Freak Blue Phantom though )
Everything people say make me want it more! Does anybody have info on the movement in this particular model?
Old 9 November 2010, 02:25 PM   #14
marie
"TRF" Member

PM sent with contact info of the people I worked with when I researched and bought my UN. They will know all the answers to your questions, and were an absolute pleasure to work with!

Let me know how it turns out!
Old 9 November 2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PM sent with contact info of the people I worked with when I researched and bought my UN. They will know all the answers to your questions, and were an absolute pleasure to work with!

Let me know how it turns out!
Will do!
Old 9 November 2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
I've known a couple guys who wore UN and both are the kind of people who really know fine watches but don't care to spend thousands of extra dollars just for the sake of brand recognition.
Aivas47a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 12:22 AM   #17
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
They make excellent watches, and their service is superb. Most of their watches are heavily modified ETA base. They are one of the few remaining independent manufacturers.
Old 10 November 2010, 05:28 AM   #18
rxonmymind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex woot! woot!
Marie, that watch is stunning! "Diamonds in the sky" sort of look. Wow. Yes, I. Er, although my wife just gave me the Rolex 116233 for our anniversary, I've looked with great admiration at the UN.

Oscar Wilde
rxonmymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2010, 11:30 PM   #19
Philly1Time
Banned

Great Watches, but I thought the strap was a little uncomfortable.
Philly1Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2010, 03:43 PM   #20
mchas
"TRF" Member

I own the one with the burgundy face and love it. I bought it with the bracelet. Looked into getting the rubber strap as well but decided it wasn't worth the extra money. Great brand and you can find them with a nice discount too!
mchas is offline   Reply With Quote