The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 April 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Switching from Blackberry (as is the rest of the world)

Should I go with an andriod (samsung galaxy 2) or wait for the Iphone 5?

Thought from current users of each phone would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25 April 2012, 11:40 AM   #2
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
I am due to get a new phone July 1st and I am going with the I phone 4S. I just got my husband and I phone 4 and he and I both love it. Simple, easy to use, quick and it does everything either one of us needs.
Old 25 April 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Go to a service provider and play with both. The operating systems are similar but different. I'm in the apple camp myself with the iPhone 4 waiting for the next one. Either way, the galaxy s3 is likely coming out in the near future. iPhone 5 sometime between June and October. Good luck choosing.
Old 25 April 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Android.....I really enjoy my motto razr. I had a couple of IPhones, they are nice and user friendly, just not customizable enough for me.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 04:02 PM   #5
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Functions are similar to me although the menu system is both different. Samsung S2 feels quicker and snappier.

Galaxy S2 will not feel "premium" because it feels much lighter and made of plastic. However, ironically, S2 doesn't break if you drop it on the floor. Iphone shatters like glass.

It might be better to compare the Galaxy S3 vs iPhone 5. Mostly likely to release at the same time.

I have an iPhone atm but it doesn't sync properly if you add numbers on the phone separately from the computer.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
cecilia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
I say go for the iphone, simply to use and hopefully the new design on the iphone 5 will be like the iphone 3, love that one.
cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 04:59 PM   #7
Ristretto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Try the Sony Xperia S great phone.
Old 25 April 2012, 05:12 PM   #8
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
iPhone.

I'm on iPhone 4, can't wait for iPhone 5!
Old 25 April 2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
I went from a BB to the iPhone a few months back. After looking at many options, I landed on the iphone for its simplicity of operation, and the fact that I had, and loved, the ipad.

Android phones probably offer more flexibility for user-modification if you're into that.

Good luck!
Old 25 April 2012, 08:26 PM   #10
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sorry but iPhone4 has nothing on Samsung Galaxy Note 4G LTE...

There's a reason why Samsung took over cell phone sales in the past quarter.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 09:10 PM   #11
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
This debate always reminds me of the great VHS vs Beta videotape war of the '80s. Both iOS and Android are great, you can't go wrong with either system right now, but eventually one of them is going to prevail and dominate the market, and that will last until smartphones themselves become obsolete.

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Bobble

Watch: GMT IIc, Daytona
I've been using BB since the screens were black and white and could do emails only, been though a few of them and loved them to bits whilst others around me used Apple etc. My wife had an Apple iPhone 3G, in fact she still has. I changed my BB for a Storm (keypad and screen) but just couldn't get on with it. Then I decided it's time for an iPhone and bought a 4S just over a week ago. I did contemplate waiting for the 5 but that could be late this year. Anyway I really can't tell you just how good this phone is, fantastic springs to mind. In my mind you know how good something is when all of the others copy it, look at how all the other phones have zoom in screens with two fingers, apps etc.

Anyway in my mind it completely blows BB and the others away (I have played with the others before making my decision).

Anyway thats just my 2p, not that I'm biased or anything
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 11:01 PM   #13
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Does anyone have any idea on when ther Iphone 5 might be coming out? Paul above indincated maybe not until late this year. Is it worth getting the 4S or waiting for 5?
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 01:01 AM   #14
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Most likely sometime between June and October. Short of a few people at Apple, nobody knows the exact date. If you are antsy, get the 4s now. It is an awesome phone and won't let you down. If you can wait, wait. The new iPhone will most likely be redesigned and have LTE and possibly a bigger screen.
Old 26 April 2012, 02:57 AM   #15
Solidarity
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16700, DSSD
the 5 is probably coming out in October (similar to the 4S)

- "Yeah, but if the wolf wants the food, it's there"
Solidarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 03:01 AM   #16
psv
"TRF" Member

Something like 80-90% of Android handsets are abandoned/working/in use after 12 months. Ask an iPhone user how they feel about their handset after a year.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 03:05 AM   #17
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Hmmm, maybe I really AM the only person on earth who came back to Blackberry after trying an iPhone 4S

I was a BB user for years but became intrigued with the iPhone. Bought the 4S the day it came out. Gave it a good 5 months but in the end, was sick and tired of the touchscreen, auto-correct, and most importantly, major email issues (crashing, freezing, not coming in at all). Ended up going back to Blackberry and am a lot happier as it just works for me.

Anyway, between Android and iPhone, I still prefer iPhone.

Good luck!
kcmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 03:07 AM   #18
conrail
"TRF" Member

If you can, I'd wait and see what is up with the iPhone5, even if you appreciate the droids over the iphones generally. I'm very excited to see what it will entail.
Old 26 April 2012, 03:10 AM   #19
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Since it is rock solid and my rate is so cheap, I will wait until my BB breaks before I switch... I am inclined to get the iPhone since I'll need to get the wife one as well and she loves her iPad.
Old 26 April 2012, 03:37 AM   #20
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
iPhone. I hate having to use my work bb.
Old 26 April 2012, 03:44 AM   #21
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Hmmm, maybe I really AM the only person on earth who came back to Blackberry after trying an iPhone 4S

I was a BB user for years but became intrigued with the iPhone. Bought the 4S the day it came out. Gave it a good 5 months but in the end, was sick and tired of the touchscreen, auto-correct, and most importantly, major email issues (crashing, freezing, not coming in at all). Ended up going back to Blackberry and am a lot happier as it just works for me.

Anyway, between Android and iPhone, I still prefer iPhone.

Good luck!
That is my only concern. I am currently using a blackberry and I love having a keyboard. I worry about typing on the touch screen especially for longer emails.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 04:46 AM   #22
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I dislike Android with a passion so I would not really recommend that.
It has potential but the fragmentation of the OS is beyond any imagination, there are no native ways to back up and sync, there are way too many apps that always open up by themselves and run in the background... you have to download an app to kill the previously mentioned running apps... battery is horrendous....
It just isn't for me.

For ease of use and overall stability nothing beats the iPhone.

WindowsPhone like the Lumia 900 are worth looking into. The OS is fantastic and to be honest, the only complaint I have about WindowsPhone is a relative lack of apps for now.

I have used hundreds of phones in just the past few years and I have dozens in my drawer right now. Every time something comes out, manufacturers send me samples a few weeks or a month before they hit the market. As a result, I have had the opportunity to test most phones out there.

I currently carry a 64GB iPhone 4S and a cyan Nokia Lumia 900.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 04:55 AM   #23
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
That is my only concern. I am currently using a blackberry and I love having a keyboard. I worry about typing on the touch screen especially for longer emails.
Typing on a touchscreen is very different, especially if you're coming from BB's amazing keyboards. You really won't know unless you give it a try. I just felt 'relief' when I came back to BB personally, but many folks love touchscreens.
kcmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 05:17 AM   #24
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRdude View Post
I dislike Android with a passion so I would not really recommend that.
It has potential but the fragmentation of the OS is beyond any imagination, there are no native ways to back up and sync, there are way too many apps that always open up by themselves and run in the background... you have to download an app to kill the previously mentioned running apps... battery is horrendous....
It just isn't for me.

For ease of use and overall stability nothing beats the iPhone.

WindowsPhone like the Lumia 900 are worth looking into. The OS is fantastic and to be honest, the only complaint I have about WindowsPhone is a relative lack of apps for now.

I have used hundreds of phones in just the past few years and I have dozens in my drawer right now. Every time something comes out, manufacturers send me samples a few weeks or a month before they hit the market. As a result, I have had the opportunity to test most phones out there.

I currently carry a 64GB iPhone 4S and a cyan Nokia Lumia 900.
I agree with the above. I'm using a Windows Phone 7 - Nokia Lumia 800 as my daily beater and overall I'm very happy with it.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2012, 08:18 AM   #25
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Something like 80-90% of Android handsets are abandoned/working/in use after 12 months. Ask an iPhone user how they feel about their handset after a year.
I've still got an iPhone 3Gs from about three years ago and I love it. I was recently offered an upgrade but declined since my phone works perfectly, does everything I want it to and I can't be bothered to change.

I work out doors, in all weathers and do a very physical job but my iPhone has never missed a beat.

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote