The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2005, 01:56 AM   #1
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

I can't believe it SD Gone

and replaced with this beaut, someone put me in a padded Jacket

Old 16 December 2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Atomic

Why? Since I'm not a fan of the SD, I think that's a better watch, personally.

Congrats.
Old 16 December 2005, 02:09 AM   #3
molex
"TRF" Member

No problem there! Personally I'd take the subdate over the SD too, since the subdate is a SUBMARINER and the SD is just a tarted up VERSION of the submariner

Flame-suit on
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Atomic]Why? Since I'm not a fan of the SD, I think that's a better watch, personally.

Coz I've got Rolex fever, don't think I've had a watch long enough to fully appreciate in the last few months. But now the hatch is battoned down, because if this one goes, I've got no chance of getting another.

I've never known in all my life a materialistic product to eat away at a person, its bizarre. I've wanted the Sub since as far back as I can remember, ok the first one had to go in order to help someone out and I've since gone for whatever was readily available, but it never satisfied deep down. Maybe this could be a lesson (I'm thinking of Tyler) if you have always had one desire, and can fullfill it, don't get caught up with anything else, have tunnel vision, if you see what I mean, because otherwise you'll never calm the Watch beast inside you. Dont be tempted to buy that couple of hundred Seiko or anything else in order to fill the gap, put it away, order what you want and wait till it arrives. In the long run it will save you loadsamoney.

Am my insane guys
Old 16 December 2005, 02:36 AM   #5
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Wow. That was quick! What brought on that swap Jon?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 02:37 AM   #6
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Oh sorry, I just read your new post Good advice too Jon!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 03:33 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good move, Jon. Now with the ULTIMATE ROLEX under your belt (and strapped comfortably around your wrist), just try and be contended! This one's a beauty so you really shouldn't have any regrets. The important thing is to hold on to it!

Good luck and wear it in good health....always.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 03:38 AM   #8
ralphieralph
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER
Icon14

Great move the sd is way 2 bulky.sub/date is the way 2go!!
ralphieralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 06:59 AM   #9
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Padded jacket, Jon? You've got to be kidding. You are to be congratulated for making a wise decision. It's the Sub over the SD hands down any day of the week. Great move. You will never regret it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 07:01 AM   #10
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

hi jon , enjoy mate!
but JJ, ultimate Rolex I don't think!, so would you care to quantify that statement

steve
Old 16 December 2005, 08:08 AM   #11
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Congrats on the new one Jon. Wear it in good health and keep it longer than the SD.

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 08:12 AM   #12
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Have to agree with the others. I like the sub to the SD.

VERY nice watch, a true classic. I could never own a SD and a sub, just seem too much alike for me. But with that said, I would not mind owning a sub date and ND sub. For some reason they seem different enough for me to want to own both. After seeing Sam's ND sub, gets my mental juices flowing.

The SD is nice but I prefer the sub. But as my dealer once told me, it is hard to go wrong with any Rolex.

Last edited by Mr. K; 16 December 2005 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 10:10 AM   #13
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Awesome watch Jon. Good luck with it.
Old 16 December 2005, 10:26 AM   #14
Rodentman
Banned

I'm lucky enough to have both an SD and sub, (LV). So I don't have the problem having to pick one over the other.

However, if I could have only one, it might be the ND sub.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 11:44 AM   #15
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

HHmmmm can I ask you all, what are the main reasons that the Sub is so much more highly regarded than the SD?

I know the Sub is a classic, but to me the SD is a sub on steroids, more powerful and durable (but with out the nasty side effects) I plan on getting one and can't justify owning both a ND Sub and SD, perhaps because of the similarities or because my wallet won't allow it...

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 01:09 PM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
HHmmmm can I ask you all, what are the main reasons that the Sub is so much more highly regarded than the SD?

I know the Sub is a classic, but to me the SD is a sub on steroids, more powerful and durable (but with out the nasty side effects) I plan on getting one and can't justify owning both a ND Sub and SD, perhaps because of the similarities or because my wallet won't allow it...
For me personally you just answered your own question. I owned a SD and was never enamored with it the way some get. The dial seemed small, whice I still don't understand. The reason I say you answered your own question is because why do yuo need the steroids exactly? If it is between cyclops or not, then I can understand that. Though I doubt you will ever need the extra depth rating and HE valve.

I am not knocking the SD, I just would rather have the 16610. But what is right for me may be totally wrong for you, and that is part of why this is a great hobby!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2005, 03:52 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife
hi jon , enjoy mate!
but JJ, ultimate Rolex I don't think!, so would you care to quantify that statement

steve
Well, Steve, I've been saying it all along....the 16610 is immediately recognisable anywhere as the best sports Rolex out there. Sure, there's the Daytonas, GMTs, YMs and Explorers, but the Sub-date does stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

It also has the typical classic Rolex look with its black bezel, its markings and the dial...all of which are so unique to Rolex and the Sub.

Honestly, if I was to have just ONE watch and ONE watch only in SS, it would have to be the 16610 and no other!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2005, 01:43 PM   #18
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Dman,

You are right we can all agree to love a Rolex but can also agree that the variation we love can be totally different...
I guess I am just really impressed with how solid and strong the SD feels, mind you I don't have a lot of experience with wearing an SD or Sub so I'm quite sure I'll wind up owning several of these babies in the near future as my expendable income allows... I think the SD is the right choice for me... we'll see what I say a year from now!

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2005, 04:31 PM   #19
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
Dman,

You are right we can all agree to love a Rolex but can also agree that the variation we love can be totally different...
I guess I am just really impressed with how solid and strong the SD feels, mind you I don't have a lot of experience with wearing an SD or Sub so I'm quite sure I'll wind up owning several of these babies in the near future as my expendable income allows... I think the SD is the right choice for me... we'll see what I say a year from now!
In response to your post, The SD is a beaut, however, I'm in the position of owning one Rolex now and for the foreseeable future, and so my choice has to be correct, otherwise I think both the SD and Sub would be in my collection. When I started becoming interested in the Brand at around eighteen, The Sub was the one that stood out for me, and that wasent influenced by salesman, my knowledge of the brand or Sub (Which was very little at that time) It just stood out from the rest, and since that day, it always has. I would say its pure coincidence that it seems to be a popular model.

Owning a Rolex period imho is a real priviledge and in all honesty I wonder if these watches are easy to come by financially etc, would we really appreciate the significance and priviledge of owning them as much as the one we earnestly saved for and proudly purchased.

And now I actually own one
Old 18 December 2005, 07:16 AM   #20
Seadweller
"TRF" Member

Well done Jon. It's your wrist so you have the choice. Well done.

PS - the SD is way better. But I'm biased.