The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 21 February 2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Datejust 116200 Review - First 3 weeks

Rolex Datejust 116200 Review

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Bruce. I am 31 years old and manage a Porsche Centre in central Canada. I have been in the premium car business for almost 12 years and have worked with BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Volvo and Land Rover in sales.

I was first introduced to the idea of Rolex by a more senior colleague at the BMW store I worked for. He showed me a Submariner (SS) and a Datejust (Two Tone Jubilee) he owned and told me he was going to give one to his son when he graduated college. At the time I had no idea what value the watches had and my idea of an expensive watch was $500 max (all I could afford anyway).

Fast forward to 2013 and the hard work and grind of the car business has paid off. I’ve seen so many people come into vehicle sales expecting to make instant money. Similar to real estate, the majority of new hires get discouraged quickly and aren’t willing to put the time in. I’ve had my share of lean months however I stuck it out and managed to build a great clientele and understanding of the workings of a car dealership.

When I was asked to manage this new Porsche Centre I was thrilled. As a car guy, being able to order, drive and sell some of the finest sports cars in the world turns out to be a dream job. Long story, short I figured it was time to take the plunge and get a Rolex.

It turns out that the Rolex brand appeals to my desire for something authentic and durable over time. I feel you can spend a lot of money these days on goods that have a very limited enjoyable life. Electronics are a perfect example of this. I love my iPhone and iPad however I will never have any one of these for more than 2 years before they lose their desirability. Also clothing, which can get very expensive as well for items that may see two – five wears before the next great style comes along.

Rolex Forums was very useful in my search for a first Rolex. In the beginning I was sure I wanted a new SS Ceramic SubDate. Who wouldn’t? I even went directly to the AD with the intention of trying one on and getting a price. I could never have guessed I would fall in love with something simpler and less expensive. This Rolex Datejust 116200 came home with me. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and I would like to summarize my experience with it so far:

- In typical dorky, new to the brand fashion I left the plastic on the case and bracelet for a whole week until I decided that defeated the point of having a “forever watch” and decided to take it off.
- I can see why this watch has been around since 1945. It goes with everything! I have worn it with a suit to work, with smart casual clothes, jeans and a t-shirt and even pj’s around the house. No, I don’t sleep with it on or shower with it on, even though all evidence says the watch is more than durable enough to handle those tasks.
- Originally I had done enough reading to convince myself that 36mm was not going to be big enough, however on my average size wrist this watch wears perfect. I glanced at the DJII models while shopping however I couldn’t see being able to pull off the big dress watch look. In my opinion the Oyster bracelet goes a long way to making this a very versatile masculine watch.
- The two-tone brushed/polished stainless steel is gorgeous and even though I’m a fan of the two tone gold look this watch really pops, especially when worn with a bright colored dress shirt.
- The bracelet itself is a fantastic piece of workmanship. I love the new clasp for its simplicity and feeling of robustness. When this watch is on my wrist I feel like it will stay there forever until I undo the clasp. Comfort level is very high as well.
- That being said, I am curious to see how prone to scratching the polished case and links will be as I can already see a few marks. I should probably do some research on polishing.
- I am left handed and wear the watch on my right arm. Not sure of the school of thought on this or if it is right or wrong. I welcome your opinions.
- The roman numbers on the white dial provide a nice contrast to the SS and Cyclops gives it that Rolex instant recognition factor.
- One gripe, obviously owing to my OCD is that when screwed down tightly the Rolex crown on the crown is not upright but slightly askew. Very anal retentive I know considering it lives under the cuff of my shirt most of the time anyway.
- Plans for this watch include it being a daily wearer and also I like the idea of passing a cared for and serviced watch on to my son (who is currently 7) when he is old enough.
- What I didn’t count on was how much I now want another Rolex! I’m sure I was warned this could be habit forming. My love for the Sub hasn’t dwindled but the new 116622 Yacht-Master with the blue dial could make the ideal counterpart to my DJ don’t you think?

Thanks for listening and all comments and opinions are welcome! Hope you enjoy the pictures, however I realize I am not the best photographer.

Cheers,

Bruce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch1.JPG (133.0 KB, 2273 views)
File Type: jpg Watch2.JPG (85.4 KB, 2217 views)
File Type: jpg Watch3.JPG (79.9 KB, 2198 views)
File Type: jpg Watch4.JPG (76.7 KB, 2198 views)
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 03:17 PM   #2
biscotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Thanks for a great review and congrats on the beautiful watch! Get the YM blue :)
biscotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 05:24 PM   #3
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Classic!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 08:55 PM   #4
silversurfer96790
Banned

Watch: GMT 16710, 1675
Nice Timepiece.
silversurfer96790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2013, 09:06 PM   #5
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Great review and great looking watch as well!
Old 21 February 2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Draxler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
congrats and thanks on great review.
Draxler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 12:06 AM   #7
Zman15
Banned

Looks great! Congrats!
Zman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 04:37 AM   #8
kcmo
"TRF" Member

A beauty! Great review of a timeless classic!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Great story, I also naively thought that one Rolex will be enough.
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Very nice DJ! Love the smooth bezel, roman dial and Oyster bracelet combination!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
bimmerboy

Watch: TTsub/ss sea-dwell
Congrats! I'm currently entering the high end car sales luxury market myself after 14 years of owning my own business. Hope to be in your position one day congrats on your achievement.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Brucie D
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / SUBCLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
Congrats! I'm currently entering the high end car sales luxury market myself after 14 years of owning my own business. Hope to be in your position one day congrats on your achievement.
Best of luck my friend. Remember to stick with it during the difficult months and ride it out.
Brucie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2013, 09:12 AM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great review and pics!
Old 28 February 2013, 12:58 PM   #14
jeffjcc
"TRF" Member

Great story, thanks for sharing!

I think you made a great choice...

I'm convinced I want my first one to be the same as yours, but with a silver dial. The Roman Numerals are just awesome.
jeffjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2013, 11:29 PM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Very nice review! Thanks for sharing and Congrats on your new watch.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2013, 12:21 AM   #16
daytonabch04
"TRF" Member

Nice! Enjoy it!
daytonabch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2013, 05:37 AM   #17
ledas1
"TRF" Member

Watch: -ing bikinis
Just noticed this thread. Beauty watch eh. Good choice.

---------------------------------
1980 rolex date 14ct shell
2011+ rolex DJ2 116333CSO [recent purchase via amazon]
ledas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2013, 06:40 AM   #18
samsam
"TRF" Member

Nice, liked the idea of passing a rolex to my son (who is only 2)..
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2013, 12:44 PM   #19
nick c
Banned

Dj is classic like the Porsche great choice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (95.1 KB, 1738 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote