The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Carolina Girl

Watch: Rolex Pearlmaster
$$$ watch and no docs - what to do?

I have spent the last 6 months in search of a very specific and hard-to-find pre-owned watch.

Finally, I located exactly what it is I have been trying to find, for sale by an extremely reputable online/Ebay seller.

The problem is this... The watch does not have the original documentation.

My concern is that if we purchase it, and then at some point it goes through my AD to Rolex for servicing, that there could be an issue?

When I mentioned that concern to the seller, he said that the watch is guaranteed to be 100% factory Rolex, and that in 11 years of selling Rolex, he has never had a single instance of a problem.

Because we are talking about a not-insignificant amount of money (around $20k), I want to make sure I would not be making a mistake in this purchase.

I would wait and find exactly what I want with docs, but I have conducted a very extensive search and have not been able to find another like what I am wanting, and this line is limited to begin with.

What should I do?
Carolina Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
How old of watch is it?
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Always buy the seller first. Any guarantee of authenticity is only as good as the seller! There are many reputable sellers on EBay, but also many unscrupulous, or at best uninformed ones too.

If you have pictures, you can post them here for consideration.

I'd want a money-back guarantee, and time enough to have the watch inspected by an expert. IMO, unless the original warranty is in play, the papers are nice to have, but not essential.

Must be a nice piece in that price range... Good luck with the buy!
Old 14 January 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
mikkibarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
For that amount of money, you might look into an escrow transaction to ensure that you get what you've paid for.
mikkibarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
If the doc requirement is a deal breaker, then keep looking. At $20k docs to me are important.
Old 14 January 2014, 10:46 AM   #6
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

20k for an unseen watch from an ebay seller equals disaster. Walk. There are to many things that could go wrong. Paypal is just garbage if there is a problem too. With close to a million Rolex's manufactured a year i would keep on looking. If its a real sweet deal i might jump on a plane and go check it out in person.
Old 14 January 2014, 10:47 AM   #7
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
First do an extensive reference check of the seller. I don't care how hard it is to find the watch if you don't check out the seller you're not doing your due diligence. Search here and other watch forums for any information.

Second make sure you use a payment form that gives you recourse if the watch is not what it is supposed to be when received.

Third take it in to your nearest AD for inspection and get it serviced so you will end up with a clean paperwork trail and no issues.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 11:00 AM   #8
Carolina Girl

The seller is one that I have researched (Watch Chest).
They get good comments on here as well as having an impeccable record on Ebay (1000+ 100% positive feedback and has sold hundreds of Rolexes).

It's a 2005 Pearlmaster. An escrow transaction is a good idea...
Old 14 January 2014, 02:26 PM   #9
Texican
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red, 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl View Post
The seller is one that I have researched (Watch Chest).
They get good comments on here as well as having an impeccable record on Ebay (1000+ 100% positive feedback and has sold hundreds of Rolexes).

It's a 2005 Pearlmaster. An escrow transaction is a good idea...
I have purchased 3 Rolex watches from Chris at WatchChest, and can assure you that he is on the level! It is the WatchChest in Branson, Missouri, right? Just to make sure there isn't someone using his business name... Papers are not a big issue unless you truly have a real collector's piece and want a full set. Although Pearlmasters aren't a dime a dozen, they aren't in the "collectors" category either. The Rolex warranty is only good for two years, so is probably expired anyway. Watchchest gives a three year warranty when you purchase, and if you choose to send to RSC later, absence of papers makes no difference. I wouldn't let the absence of factory paperwork keep me from enjoying the watch I wanted! Hope it works out and you enjoy it!
Old 14 January 2014, 02:34 PM   #10
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Did you check TRF for sale section? http://www.rolexforums.com/search.php?searchid=9527411

There are a few listed right now. One has been up since 12/2102 and I bet if you like it and make a reasonable offer he will take it! Have a look and Best of Luck!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 03:35 PM   #11
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Use PayPal and get it authenticated immediately.
Old 14 January 2014, 10:18 PM   #12
Carolina Girl

Yes, Texican, it is Chris. He has been very responsive and helpful.

I would just wait and find one with papers, but the combo I am looking for (18kyg, full diamond, black/roman) has been pretty much impossible to locate, and he has two different black/roman dials to choose from.

gwozhog, I had thought about flying out and getting the watch in person (Branson, MO), and may still elect to do that, but it does not seem necessary given the reputation of the seller.
Old 14 January 2014, 10:54 PM   #13
Ector495
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
eBay is a no go in my book. Too many horror stories.
Old 14 January 2014, 10:57 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I have spent the last 6 months in search of a very specific and hard-to-find pre-owned watch.

Finally, I located exactly what it is I have been trying to find, for sale by an extremely reputable online/Ebay seller.

The problem is this... The watch does not have the original documentation.

My concern is that if we purchase it, and then at some point it goes through my AD to Rolex for servicing, that there could be an issue?

When I mentioned that concern to the seller, he said that the watch is guaranteed to be 100% factory Rolex, and that in 11 years of selling Rolex, he has never had a single instance of a problem.

Because we are talking about a not-insignificant amount of money (around $20k), I want to make sure I would not be making a mistake in this purchase.

I would wait and find exactly what I want with docs, but I have conducted a very extensive search and have not been able to find another like what I am wanting, and this line is limited to begin with.

What should I do?
The only documentation you get with any Rolex watch is when its sold a purchase receipt and with the watch a warranty paper,, or card depending on age of watch.If watch is over two years old well the warranty paper/card has expired,and these bits of paper or card do not prove authenticity of any watch,as they are far easier to fake than the watch.So always buy the seller before a bit of paper,and if watch is over say 5 years old then budget for a RSC service sooner than later.After said service you will get a service paper or card with all the watch details on the that service document will act like a full two year warranty.And the only time Rolex will want to see any documentation is in the warranty period when a watch may need some sort of fault maintenance.After that Rolex will quite happily take your money for service as they will not need any documents whatsoever only your cheque or credit card details for payment.And with watches like the Pearlmasters they will never be on the collectible Rolex list once watch is serviced you will have all the documentation you will ever need.And Chris is a reliable Ebay seller myself would not let a bit of paper stop me from buying the watch.And yes there are good and bad on ebay same as there are some good and IMHO bad ADs, who in many cases with the products they sell don't know there ar#e from there elbow and often talk through where the sun don't shine.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 11:16 PM   #15
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I bought a Gold President from Sant Blanc. I believe they use they same address or at least the same pictures of the same building as the company your looking at. I believe its maybe family members or friends because they have about the same inventory if you compare them both at the same pictured location. I also believe it isnt a store you can walk into and need to make a appointment up front to look at a watch but I cant confirm this.

I was also quite skeptical at first because it was a lot of money for me. I did buy the watch and everything they told me came true for the most part. I also did have the watch authenticated locally when it arrived just to make sure and for my piece of mind. I did a ton of research and found Sant Blanc to be a reputable company with a BBB of A+ and there Ebay account was also 100% which I am sure Watch Chest is too.

Mine didnt come with the original paperwork either but I would rather get a great price than worry about paperwork that was only for the original warranty period anyway.

Here is a few things to ponder if/when you but from them. I assume they use stock photos for some of there more common watches. Mine was for sure. My serial number and vintage of the watch was wrong from when I bought it and what was listed on there Ebay add. But I actually got a newer version by about 5 years so that was IMO a plus and made it even a better deal. Make sure if you buy from them you know the serial number up front and also the model number of the watch. This way even if the photo isnt of the actual watch you know what your buying vintage wise.

I would buy from Sant Blanc again if thats worth anything.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2014, 11:29 PM   #16
Carolina Girl

Thank you both for that additional information.

I know for some on here, it is not a lot of money, but it is a big purchase for us and I want to make sure everything goes smoothly and I can enjoy my new watch without worries.
Old 14 January 2014, 11:52 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

I know for some on here, it is not a lot of money, but it is a big purchase for us and I want to make sure everything goes smoothly and I can enjoy my new watch without worries.
I can assure you any amount of money is a lot of money in my eyes, Chris is a good seller and has a solid reputation as a good seller.And today good reputation especially selling high value product is something you would not want to lose especially after building it up for many years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 12:39 AM   #18
greggpb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
If you dropping 20k.. just hop on a plane and meet the seller at the nearest rolex Ad to him for authentication.. probably only cost you $1000 for piece of mind..
greggpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 02:39 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:

You should always be comfortable with what you purchase. If you know who you are purchasing from, and he is "known" and can be contacted; if he sold you a fake watch (I assume this is what you mean by "issues at Rolex"), he broke the law.

You have legal recourse against anybody who defrauds you. If the seller has given to you the statement "guaranteed to be 100% Rolex", then that is an enforceable guarantee to recover your costs.

As has been said, a known watch and seller is a better choice than a lesser known seller and possibly counterfeit papers - which are easier to fake than the watch.. "papers" should never be used to authenticate a watch unless you, personally, have commissioned or authenticated such papers..
Old 15 January 2014, 03:05 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
The danger without box and papers is there is a higher likelihood of it being stolen, and Sant Blanc could be selling it unknowingly, and once RSC have it, it is no longer your watch and it goes back to the original owner or their insurance . So I would make sure Sant Blanc will guarantee a full refund for this outcome as well as it being fake. Then I would send it off to RSC right away.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 03:17 AM   #21
Carolina Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The danger without box and papers is there is a higher likelihood of it being stolen, and Sant Blanc could be selling it unknowingly, and once RSC have it, it is no longer your watch and it goes back to the original owner or their insurance . So I would make sure Sant Blanc will guarantee a full refund for this outcome as well as it being fake. Then I would send it off to RSC right away.
That is EXACTLY the scenario I was concerned about - of course, papers and box can be stolen along with a watch too. Some people keep theirs all together in the box. (I don't.)

I think asking for a guarantee for that outcome is a great idea.
Old 15 January 2014, 04:27 AM   #22
dpa94114
"TRF" Member

Did you ask if he had the watch's history? I have bought a few watches on ebay - and many know the provenance even if there are no papers. They have all since checked out perfectly.

The Pearlmaster is a newer model, but might just be the same.
dpa94114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 04:51 AM   #23
wctm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
20k for an unseen watch from an ebay seller equals disaster. Walk. There are to many things that could go wrong. Paypal is just garbage if there is a problem too. With close to a million Rolex's manufactured a year i would keep on looking. If its a real sweet deal i might jump on a plane and go check it out in person.
Paypal is garbage. I can vouch for that after today !
wctm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2014, 05:24 AM   #24
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Watch chest is ok I have dealt with them before. Papers don't mean much to me.