The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2006, 01:16 PM   #31
betrezra
"TRF" Member

Elbow....

As they say in South Louisiana...... you guys are "good people"!

betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 02:14 PM   #32
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
How did you get past?????

the Rolex stigma? I ask this question because I think I have had my very last straw with it. That is why I shyed away from the standard watches, because of the other people that wear them.

In my club, I would say most, like 85-90% of the under 40 crowd wear sport Rollies, the older wear almost exclusive DD,DJ's. I am not joking when I say I see one on one out of every 5 or 6 people. This is just a bit too much for me.

The young guys that wear them are totally ignorant too, they just know, and want others to know that they have a Rolex. It makes me shy to want to be associated with these people as having the same watch for two reasons. One is that they assume it is a sign of tons of money and two they think it makes them something for having it. I don't have 'tons' of money, though we do really well and I don't want/need any of that type of attention from my members.

I have fought hard back and forth with this one (obviously, it is 4 AM here, LOL) , but what I feel is better judgement has won out. I do not have the kind of money to have a great watch like this and not wear it, so it is gonna be listed this week.

I talked to Andie about this, she glazed over in the eyes. :-) But did say that if I could replace the watch later in life, why not get a watch now that I won't have any hesitations with. I thought that was sound advice. Although, we are redoing our floors in our house before the baby is born, so I think the money will be much better spent there.
Hi Daren, I just celebrated my 59th birthday making me probably the oldest on this forum. So I'll try and give some advice from my perspective. If you are selling your Rolex because of others, don't. You are looking at a macro situation that will change. Just because others at your club wear Rolex watches and are jerks should mean nothing, especially in the long term. They will move on and so will their watches and so will you. Selling a watch you really like makes no sense. I remember how excited you were to get the YM and you even mention you are wearing it now. But it is your watch, only you know all that is involved and you should follow your instincts. I'll be seeing you around, Daren. All the best to you and your family. BTW, when you get to my age the things you describe are not even bumps in the road. LOL =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 02:30 PM   #33
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Guys, thanks for the great words. I think I need to clarify something just a bit. It is not really the fact about the others that own one, (although that is part of it) it is more about the fact that I would rather be in my own crowd, then part of the flock.

I would never sell a watch because anyone (other than my wife ) wanted me too. Hell with them and that, I just know that I have been trying to force something that was not ever comfortable for me. I have tried like hell to force myself to love watches that I knew I didn't.

To me that is crazy. I have found my ultimate Rolex, the YM. I am wearing it again today and love this watch. The only other one that I even care to own is a DD, but that is later, when I am like Ed, Dennis, JJ, Padi (and on and on) age.

I am not leaving at all guys, just not jumping on TRF every second I can. I need to be there for the wife and son and then get my fill here. C'mon guys, this is my alcohol, I can't just stop.

I have to say, the above posts really show me some great friendship. You guys get it. It is not about who owns what watch or how many, just about the people.

Even if I had no watches, I would still be here, because my friends hang out in this bar.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 02:40 PM   #34
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
What you just said makes it clearer to me now.
If it makes you smile, Wear it. If it doesn't make you smile, Then I see your point.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 03:39 PM   #35
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Would you like to run your palm over my bald head too!!

Oh he's not kidding

He actually want you to rub his sheep...
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 03:55 PM   #36
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
When his hairline receeded it went straight to his arms
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 03:57 PM   #37
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
When his hairline receeded it went straight to his arms
Theres a difference between receeding and just plain running away
Old 6 February 2006, 04:22 PM   #38
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Tell ya guys - whatever face JJ gained when he lost hair has just been lost all over again on this forum!
Old 6 February 2006, 04:25 PM   #39
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Tell ya guys - whatever face JJ gained when he lost hair has just been lost all over again on this forum!
James, we've missed your art work lately. Taking a holiday?
Old 6 February 2006, 04:57 PM   #40
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Yeah, CJ, having a case of writer's block - I'm just working out where to take my JJ story.
Old 6 February 2006, 05:07 PM   #41
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Yeah, CJ, having a case of writer's block - I'm just working out where to take my JJ story.
If you're having a JJ block, I think Ed would love to see some orange bezel GMT II's. Don't tell him I said that He'll ban me
Old 6 February 2006, 07:33 PM   #42
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
If you're having a JJ block, I think Ed would love to see some orange bezel GMT II's. Don't tell him I said that He'll ban me
If Ed sees his favourite watch with an ORANGE bezel, he'll be dead long before he can even think of banning anybody!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2006, 11:52 PM   #43
Atomic

Daren, I totally hear you and understand. I did a similar thing back in the spring, remember?

You're a great friend and while I'll miss you here, we still have email/phone.