The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 9 February 2015, 03:48 AM   #1
Alford78
"TRF" Member

What do you all think? Running fast

My 2006 16610 ran about 5 seconds fast/day from the start and I had it regulated right before warranty ran out and have not had it serviced since. It came back running about 3 seconds fast/day and gradually went a little faster until it hovered around 10-12 seconds/day until the past month. I was ok with setting it back aprox 3 minutes every month or so and still be within 5 minutes of accurate time.

Now it is running 30+ seconds fast/day. I'm only on day two of keeping track of timing it. I did the compass test and if I hold the watch face next to the compass the needle will move so think it became magnetized. I ordered a degaussing unit. Is running 30 seconds fast/day consistent with magnatization? I figured it would be faster?

Thanks for your time
Alex
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2015, 03:15 AM   #2
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Well I'll give an update just in case anyone else has this problem. I don't know how it got magnetized. It ran aprox 30 seconds fast/day once I started timing it. One time I noticed that it was way off time and can't say for certain if it was actually running super fast for a day or so before I noticed it or if I somehow managed to change the time by accident which am rather certain the later is not the case. This was a few days before I actually noticed it was running faster than normal. I just scratched my head and didn't think about it again until after the fact of noticing it was indeed faster than normal. If it did run extremely fast for a few hours or day before I noticed it and then slowed down at some point I can imagine many things could have happened magnetically to cause it but that's just an average Joe thinking out loud.

After using the cheap demagnetizer a few times yesterday morning I have timed the watch to now only be running aprox 15 seconds fast over the past 24 hours. That's reassuring to me since that is only a few seconds off from the last time I did a sync over a year ago. So almost 7 years without a service and a watch that has always ran a little faster than I'd like is back to manageable time keeping. As a note, I only take the watch off to give it a bath every now and then or during food prep. Pretty much worn it for 8-9 years straight.

I still don't know how it became magnetized but was in the hospital a few weeks prior to noticing it and had x Rays and cat scans neither of which have ever magnetized it during previous imaging. The only time I recall having a tech tell me to keep my watch out of the room was during MRIs and my wife is a physician at the hospital who also only takes her watch off for MRIs.

In any case maybe this is an example that could help someone else that doesn't have a local watch maker or service provider to rely upon. A $20 demagnetizer seems to have been well worth the time and investment.
Old 15 February 2015, 03:40 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Sounds like a service wouldn't be a bad option at this point. Just my opinion. Time wise, it sounds like your watch would be a perfect candidate.

For my tastes, +15 is outside of what I am willing to put up with.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2015, 04:42 AM   #4
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Sounds like a service wouldn't be a bad option at this point. Just my opinion. Time wise, it sounds like your watch would be a perfect candidate.

For my tastes, +15 is outside of what I am willing to put up with.
Yes. I agree but want to do some mods when have it opened so patiently waiting until then. And, my watch maker moved so am in search of someone within driving distance.