The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 September 2014, 10:04 AM   #211
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by w!dowmaker View Post
Does it in any way speed up the wear and tear of the piece? Similar to using it on a daily basis?

My question also relates to my first querie, that by winding my pieces on a daily basis, does it speed up also the service internal of 5-7 years?
Yes, it would be similar to daily wearing. So you can extend the service intervals by not winding the watch when you're not using it.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2014, 06:34 AM   #212
Dishpro01
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16610
Vanessa, sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but what is your turn around time generally, what do you charge and tell me about your warranty.
Dishpro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 05:37 AM   #213
GGibson
"TRF" Member

Hi, Vanessa. I just purchased a 2nd hand (K series) GMT II, which appears to be in great shape but does have one small issue, in that the rotating bezel is a bit stiffer than I would have thought it should be and the "clicks" are practically indiscernible. This is my first Rolex, so I am at a bit of a disadvantage in knowing how "bad" it is. It is still functional, and better than being sloppy loose, but I am wondering (1) if I should make a big deal about it to the seller, and (2) whether there is something you can advise is likely wrong, and whether it should be adjustable/fixable. Thanks in advance.
GGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2014, 02:58 PM   #214
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGibson View Post
Hi, Vanessa. I just purchased a 2nd hand (K series) GMT II, which appears to be in great shape but does have one small issue, in that the rotating bezel is a bit stiffer than I would have thought it should be and the "clicks" are practically indiscernible. This is my first Rolex, so I am at a bit of a disadvantage in knowing how "bad" it is. It is still functional, and better than being sloppy loose, but I am wondering (1) if I should make a big deal about it to the seller, and (2) whether there is something you can advise is likely wrong, and whether it should be adjustable/fixable. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Can you take it to a local watchmaker, to ask his/her opinion?

Old 14 October 2014, 01:21 AM   #215
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Watch: own 18 watches
Karmicha, Did you get the problem with your Rolex solved? If not we have a Rolex trained watchmaker in Eugene at Skeie's Jewelers. We are the authorized Rolex dealer and have been since the 1940's. Our watchmaker is also a CMW21 certified watchmaker.

Last edited by MikeMc; 14 October 2014 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Error
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2014, 03:09 AM   #216
GGibson
"TRF" Member

Thanks for replying so quickly Vanessa. The problem is that the bezel is quite stiff (even when pushing down) and you cannot feel or hear any of those 120 "clicks." I was mainly scared that it might be a problem which would be virtually unfixable (i.e., something wrong with the case), but in looking around this site and the internet I see that the detents are in the bezel ring, not in the case, so even if they were somehow worn smooth the worst would require a new bezel ring. The way it is made, that seems unlikely--I'm betting the detent spring is either bound up somehow or missing. The seller is a good guy, so I'm hoping he will have his watch smith fix it for me. If not, I'll pop the bezel off myself and have a look. Anyway, thanks again for getting back. You need to set up a donation bucket for all this excellent and free advice!
GGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 03:10 PM   #217
bobswatches
Banned

Watch: Newman Daytona
Very thorough synopsis here..... Thanks Vanessa. I almost always insist on a main spring being part of any full overhaul service.
bobswatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2014, 08:31 AM   #218
vubui
"TRF" Member

That was an awesome read, thanks Vanessa!
vubui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2015, 06:08 AM   #219
kaemicha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Karmicha, Did you get the problem with your Rolex solved? If not we have a Rolex trained watchmaker in Eugene at Skeie's Jewelers. We are the authorized Rolex dealer and have been since the 1940's. Our watchmaker is also a CMW21 certified watchmaker.
I just now got back to this forum. I'm going to restate my problem. A year ago August I bought my Rolex, new, for $8,000.00. A month later it was back at the jeweler, who put it on a watch winder for a month then gave it back to me. They had it longer than I had. Then, of course it didn't work for me-and I did everything David at Ben Bridge told me to do.

David said the only thing to do was to send it to the Rolex factory, which we did and a month later, I got my watch back.

It still doesn't work.

Do I have any recourse here?

Thank you!
Michelle
kaemicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2015, 08:15 AM   #220
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaemicha View Post
I just now got back to this forum. I'm going to restate my problem. A year ago August I bought my Rolex, new, for $8,000.00. A month later it was back at the jeweler, who put it on a watch winder for a month then gave it back to me. They had it longer than I had. Then, of course it didn't work for me-and I did everything David at Ben Bridge told me to do.

David said the only thing to do was to send it to the Rolex factory, which we did and a month later, I got my watch back.

It still doesn't work.

Do I have any recourse here?

Thank you!
Michelle
Explain the "doesn't work" part, because I'm sure everything is within factory specifications if it went back to Rolex. They don't brush off warranty repairs because they are very concerned about their reputation and want to make sure you are happy with your time piece.

Old 9 January 2015, 08:27 AM   #221
kaemicha
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
Explain the "doesn't work" part, because I'm sure everything is within factory specifications if it went back to Rolex. They don't brush off warranty repairs because they are very concerned about their reputation and want to make sure you are happy with your time piece.
Well thanks for doubting me but I think when I pay thousands of dollars for a watch that worked for only a month, isn't asking too much for some kind of solution.

Their reputation is taking a hit by the fact that no one has done any follow up on this or want to deal with giving me a watch that works.
Old 9 January 2015, 08:46 AM   #222
kaemicha
"TRF" Member

Oh, and by 'it doesn't work' means that when I got the watch back it was perfect. I wore it during the day and put on watch winder at night and then the date stopped changing. Then the time started not working by giving me the wrong time and date. That's on a watch that was not even 1 full year old.
Old 9 January 2015, 12:00 PM   #223
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaemicha View Post
Oh, and by 'it doesn't work' means that when I got the watch back it was perfect. I wore it during the day and put on watch winder at night and then the date stopped changing. Then the time started not working by giving me the wrong time and date. That's on a watch that was not even 1 full year old.
I didn't mean to sound like I was doubting your story, It's just most common for most new Rolex owners to not exactly know how an automatic watch works, and often the customer gets frustrated and blames the watch. I'm not saying that's the case here, but have you owned a Rolex or other automatic watch before?

Old 3 February 2015, 04:34 PM   #224
jetstags69
"TRF" Member

hi i have a submariner and i lost the luminous dot at 12 o clock on my bezel
can anyone tell me what to do ?
jetstags69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2015, 04:35 PM   #225
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Is this on a ceramic bezel?
Old 3 February 2015, 04:43 PM   #226
jetstags69
"TRF" Member

yes
Old 3 February 2015, 04:46 PM   #227
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

I'll check with our watchmaker tomorrow and reply.
Old 3 February 2015, 04:48 PM   #228
jetstags69
"TRF" Member

tks
Old 4 February 2015, 01:43 AM   #229
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Rolex doesn't sell the dot separately., so you have to buy a new ceramic bezel. The cost is $375.00 plus labor to install. The elevated dot is my only criticism of the new (ceramic) design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2015, 02:01 AM   #230
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Rolex doesn't sell the dot separately., so you have to buy a new ceramic bezel. The cost is $375.00 plus labor to install. The elevated dot is my only criticism of the new (ceramic) design.

As far as I know Rolex now have a tool for replaceing the pearl without having to replace the whole bezel. You should ask the RSC about this.
Old 4 February 2015, 02:44 AM   #231
MikeMc
"TRF" Member

Our watchmaker called Rolex this morning, and they said the dot is not available separately, you must buy the whole bezel insert.

Old 5 February 2015, 11:16 AM   #232
jetstags69
"TRF" Member

RSC will replace the luminous dot for 125.00 plus tax just talk to them
thank you vanessa hope this will help
Old 24 February 2015, 07:45 PM   #233
Donzi 18
"TRF" Member

Vanessa, question about my 16013, had serviced about 3 years ago from an AD, watch keeps great time, daily worn, however about 3-4 months ago every so often I have experienced the watch stopping with the second and min hands at 12 o' clock, this happened maybe 4-5 times, when it has happened the hour hand has been in different places? Ideas ? Otherwise the watch has been great and keeps great time,

Thanks, Steve
Donzi 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2015, 06:49 PM   #234
TarikSteelback
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post

I am trained by Rolex and I'm authorised to work on their watches, that's why I can get the genuine parts.
Hi Vanessa,

I have two Rolex Watches that i've sent in for repair at a local watchmaker, after several tries, the watches still don't work properly.
He said both need parts that need replacements, and he couldn't obtain them.
I plan to send the watches to you for service.
I called the Rolex Company the other day, and mentioned your name and Company:Time Matters, but they could not locate it.
How can i verify this information before i send it to you for service.
Sorry for being so cautious on the matter.

Thank you for your time.
I will contact you for the shipping instruction as soon as i receive your response.
TarikSteelback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2015, 12:07 AM   #235
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi 18 View Post
Vanessa, question about my 16013, had serviced about 3 years ago from an AD, watch keeps great time, daily worn, however about 3-4 months ago every so often I have experienced the watch stopping with the second and min hands at 12 o' clock, this happened maybe 4-5 times, when it has happened the hour hand has been in different places? Ideas ? Otherwise the watch has been great and keeps great time,

Thanks, Steve
Steve, I'm sorry for not replying sooner! I missed your post. Please send me a pm when you have a question like this!
I'll have to answer later as I have to get ready for work now!

Old 22 March 2015, 12:08 AM   #236
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarikSteelback View Post
Hi Vanessa,

I have two Rolex Watches that i've sent in for repair at a local watchmaker, after several tries, the watches still don't work properly.
He said both need parts that need replacements, and he couldn't obtain them.
I plan to send the watches to you for service.
I called the Rolex Company the other day, and mentioned your name and Company:Time Matters, but they could not locate it.
How can i verify this information before i send it to you for service.
Sorry for being so cautious on the matter.

Thank you for your time.
I will contact you for the shipping instruction as soon as i receive your response.
I've sent you a pm. ;)

Old 22 March 2015, 02:32 AM   #237
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi 18 View Post

Thanks, Steve
I'm not sure but it could be that your hands touch each other ever so slightly at the 12 o'clock position and if your mainspring isn't wound enough, it can make the watch stop. See if you notice any light scratches in one spot on the hour hand?

Old 5 April 2015, 12:14 AM   #238
13eastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your interesting post which complements your Youtube film.

I'd value your opinion as to what issues if any (as opposed to run-of-the-mill servicing requirements) ought to DEMAND Rolex official service.

My wife's Lady Datejust reportedly "fell" from the bedside table sustaining damaging that looks dramatic, but may be superficial.

The crystal is smashed and has fouled the second hand internally. This may be the only reason that the watch has stopped, but I can't be sure (especially since the explanation I've been given is only half-plausible hehe).

This watch cost many thousands of pounds, so it's easy to justify the high cost of official manufacturer service (unlike, say, with my old Seamaster) and it's' easy enough for me to visit the service centre in Kent.

Ought I to go straight to Rolex with this, or should I feel confident going to an imdependent watchmaker first?
13eastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2015, 11:02 AM   #239
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for your interesting post which complements your Youtube film.

I'd value your opinion as to what issues if any (as opposed to run-of-the-mill servicing requirements) ought to DEMAND Rolex official service.

My wife's Lady Datejust reportedly "fell" from the bedside table sustaining damaging that looks dramatic, but may be superficial.

The crystal is smashed and has fouled the second hand internally. This may be the only reason that the watch has stopped, but I can't be sure (especially since the explanation I've been given is only half-plausible hehe).

This watch cost many thousands of pounds, so it's easy to justify the high cost of official manufacturer service (unlike, say, with my old Seamaster) and it's' easy enough for me to visit the service centre in Kent.

Ought I to go straight to Rolex with this, or should I feel confident going to an imdependent watchmaker first?
Your wife's Rolex definitely needs a complete service because of crystal fragments that have entered the movement. I'm not familiar with independent Rolex watchmakers in your area but with the extend of the damage it may be more economical to go with the official RSC. Good luck!

Old 8 April 2015, 01:18 PM   #240
Slim_Pickin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, JJ Chrono
Thank you! Very illuminating explanation of the process you go through to service a watch.
Slim_Pickin is offline   Reply With Quote