The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2017, 06:49 AM   #1
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Tudor regulation

Hi. I bought a Tudor Black Bay black bezel on bracelet with in house movement two months ago. It has lost 1.5 seconds every day no matter what I do to it - wear it, on a winder etc etc - which is great! So....I bought another about 10 days ago, with red bezel and leather strap. For the first 6 days I wore it and it lost about one second per day. I then put it on a winder and for the last 4 days I would say it has lost progressively more seconds and in the last 24 hours on the winder has lost 2.5s. I know this is within COSC still, but I read that the accuracy from Tudor would be -2/+4 rather than -4/+6. Should I be worried? Do they "bed in" ? Will it oscillate a bit and come back to near zero, or continue to drift?? I understand this could be a function of rest positions on the winder etc but all my other watches on the winders gain or lose the same amount every day....only this one seems to be losing progressively more time. I am worried that after less than two weeks, I am heading for having to send it to Rolex to be regulated. Any views please? If I do have to send it to Kent, how long will it take? It's a bit odd because the black bezel is so, so consistent every day. -1.5 every day for two months. Thanks, Glenn
ProfGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:56 AM   #2
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Personally I'd rather have a watch gain than lose but those numbers sound just fine to me. Wear it for a while and show the red some love, it should be fine
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 06:57 AM   #3
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks Rogerb....I think you are right. If you believe in "bedding in" better to have it bedding in on my wrist.....
Old 18 October 2017, 07:56 AM   #4
flw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
I'm not sure it would qualify to really need adjustment. The newest chronometer standard for Rolex, as I understand it, is +2/-2 seconds per day. Your Tudor is within that ... unlike my Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial, which is running about +12 seconds per day. (It's going for a vacation to Seattle for a regulation.)
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 08:11 AM   #5
jonmdavis
"TRF" Member

I’m at +\- 0 seconds on my in house Black Bay after a month just by self regulating with placement at night. Loses time dial up, gains time crown up. Works fine for me.
jonmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 04:47 PM   #6
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks. It's just weird how it was gaining one second per day when wearing in the day and on the winder at night. Now, even on the winder alone it loses 1.5s during the night. I can't see my wearing it during the day making it gain time.....I guess I'll try....I think it is drifting though.

Last edited by ProfGlenn; 18 October 2017 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Mistake
Old 18 October 2017, 07:47 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGlenn View Post
Hi. I bought a Tudor Black Bay black bezel on bracelet with in house movement two months ago. It has lost 1.5 seconds every day no matter what I do to it - wear it, on a winder etc etc - which is great! So....I bought another about 10 days ago, with red bezel and leather strap. For the first 6 days I wore it and it lost about one second per day. I then put it on a winder and for the last 4 days I would say it has lost progressively more seconds and in the last 24 hours on the winder has lost 2.5s. I know this is within COSC still, but I read that the accuracy from Tudor would be -2/+4 rather than -4/+6. Should I be worried? Do they "bed in" ? Will it oscillate a bit and come back to near zero, or continue to drift?? I understand this could be a function of rest positions on the winder etc but all my other watches on the winders gain or lose the same amount every day....only this one seems to be losing progressively more time. I am worried that after less than two weeks, I am heading for having to send it to Rolex to be regulated. Any views please? If I do have to send it to Kent, how long will it take? It's a bit odd because the black bezel is so, so consistent every day. -1.5 every day for two months. Thanks, Glenn
Just cannot understand the need for a machine to wind any Rolex or Tudor watch.On a machine mainly on the same plain and axis repetitive back and throe there could be differences on any mechanical watch compared to on or off the wrist movement running.Before placing any watch on one of these machine winders the movement should be fully manually wound up first.As most of these machines will just keep the mainspring topped up to whatever the mainspring had to start with before placing on the machine.Yes these machines will keep the movement ticking but fully wind to peak power-reserve its doubtful.Just cannot understand why anyone would worry about perhaps 2 seconds difference out of 86400 in a day.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 09:14 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think the timing you have reported is great and I would wear my watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 10:29 PM   #9
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Apologies (a) for the OCD and (b) for being an engineer and (c) perhaps expecting too much! As I say, I was so impressed with the first Black Bay that I bought a second! With bracelet, leather and two natos, that is 8 watch combinations....pretty cool!

So I spoke to Rolex, who said the tolerance is -2/+4 and it should behave same on the winder as on the wrist - so if it is outside of -2, which it is (just), then send it in (for about 3 weeks)....but I agree this seems a bit drastic.

My personal feeling is that the watch may well like dial up (at the computer, never on the almost vertical winder), crown down (walking....sometimes on the winder) and might hate crown up (I don't lift weights wearing it but this would happen on a winder)....so i can see that depending on what positions the watch likes the best, it COULD behave differently on a winder. So from the experts here....at what point should I send it in? Rolex were happy to have it. But I think that really would be letting my OCD get the better of me! Thanks, Glenn
Old 18 October 2017, 11:02 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGlenn View Post
Thanks everyone. Apologies (a) for the OCD and (b) for being an engineer and (c) perhaps expecting too much! As I say, I was so impressed with the first Black Bay that I bought a second! With bracelet, leather and two natos, that is 8 watch combinations....pretty cool!

So I spoke to Rolex, who said the tolerance is -2/+4 and it should behave same on the winder as on the wrist - so if it is outside of -2, which it is (just), then send it in (for about 3 weeks)....but I agree this seems a bit drastic.

My personal feeling is that the watch may well like dial up (at the computer, never on the almost vertical winder), crown down (walking....sometimes on the winder) and might hate crown up (I don't lift weights wearing it but this would happen on a winder)....so i can see that depending on what positions the watch likes the best, it COULD behave differently on a winder. So from the experts here....at what point should I send it in? Rolex were happy to have it. But I think that really would be letting my OCD get the better of me! Thanks, Glenn
Well you have made a correct statement your OCD is definitely getting the better of you, your watch is fine and leave it well alone.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:06 PM   #11
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Don't worry too much OP.

When I first started getting serious about mechanical watches about a decade ago, I was like you.

Worrying about accuracy, changing positions to compensate, synching all the time.

As I've gotten older, I've stopped caring. After I got a new watch a few weeks ago, I didn't even sync it or check how it was running for days.

As long as the timing isn't all over the place, I don't care at all. My new DJ41 is running about +1 a day on average. That's amazing.

As long as timing is consistent, a few seconds a day don't matter.
Old 18 October 2017, 11:11 PM   #12
Star Ferry
Banned

there are 86,400 seconds in a day. if your watch is off by only 2, then I consider that good performance

if it really bothers you, I would look into high-accuracy quartz. I have one from Grand Seiko -- I don't think it's lost or gained any time since I bought it in late June
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 11:44 PM   #13
ProfGlenn
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks. To be honest, it is reassuring to hear Rolex owners telling me to stop worrying too much about tolerance!

Best
Glenn
Old 19 October 2017, 12:01 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think the timing you have reported is great and I would wear my watch.
Yep.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote