The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #31
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
If I knew I loved the watch and had no intention of flipping, I wouldn't care.
Old 31 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #32
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Depends on what is meant by newer watch. As an example, SEL 16610's with lug holes are pushing 20 years. In these cases, I value current rsc paperwork way more than a mouldy box and a possibly faked and expired warranty card. Ymmv.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 09:17 AM   #33
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Well for me and unfortunately my OCD all mine are complete down to both hang tags etc. Maybe I am just weird and yes I am sure I will see many replies that all that stuff doesnt matter but for me it does.

I kinda view it like this:

How many videos/listings/classifieds etc do we see that people are blown away that on vintage models it has everything? All the time.

Well good lord willing I plan to keep all of mine or at least one forever and if I decide to sell in 30 plus years I am sure it will help.
Old 31 January 2020, 10:15 AM   #34
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Well for me and unfortunately my OCD all mine are complete down to both hang tags etc. Maybe I am just weird and yes I am sure I will see many replies that all that stuff doesnt matter but for me it does....
That makes us both 'weird' as do the same. For me, part of the joys of my hobbies is being a 'completeist'. Also collect coins, so keep everything including orig brochures, box, case, etc from US / UK mint and only use PCGS for grading (First Strike of course). So imho you're not weird, as there is fun is knowing you are very detail-oriented and have all the proper bits.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 10:46 AM   #35
Little machines
"TRF" Member

I agree box and papers are a must! I believe that it’s easier to sell .
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 11:07 AM   #36
djgallo
Banned

Full set only...period.
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 01:05 PM   #37
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Sometimes no box/card is an advantage to buyer to get better deal 10-15%less. That said you really need to trust the seller.

And ask some sort of guarantee paper that it is genuine so you can have time to check to RSC or some sort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 04:13 PM   #38
vicsdca
Banned

10-15% discount sounds reasonable
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 04:23 PM   #39
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorSox View Post
Is there a rule of thumb on how much of a discount there should be on a modern watch (say a Hulk or Kermit), from a trusted seller, without box and card/papers? Or would you avoid these in most cases?

I am planning on keeping the watch long term, but I also never know when my collecting preferences can change, and may need to trade/sell something.
I don't trust anyone when it comes to buying a second hand Rolex. Even a trusted seller. Part of my condition of purchase is to ensure the watch isn't stolen by making a few quick phone calls, followed by a face-to-face meeting with the seller at my most trusted watchmaker and have him inspect the watch as well as open it up and make sure everything is 100% kosher.

If I can't do this, then I'm not interested and I walk away.

So, if you are offered this Hulk with no box or papers, that's fine. I'd still make sure it isn't stolen and I'd still have a trusted watchmaker open it up and confirm it real. Then I'd buy it.

I would not skimp on my investigation had the watch had full box and papers.

FYI, I just bought a Hulk 2 weeks ago from a forum member on another watch forum. Full box and papers. I still made my phone calls, and had my watchmaker confirm it real.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 04:26 PM   #40
MacDaddyOC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seeking My 1st.
Personally I wouldn’t buy without a box and papers. However, as others have mentioned, RSC service papers and a decent discount could make it a decent deal, especially if you’re going to keep it.

MacDaddyOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 04:27 PM   #41
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

10-15% reasonable, but keep in mind:

1. Watch is more likely to be fake. It did happen to me, even with a reputable internet seller
2. You will have a harder time selling, and the price will be even lower, especially if you haven’t established a reputation at that point.

If I ever do it again, I want to pay with a credit card, so that I have enough time to dispute the charge, and would send it in for servicing to also confirm that it’s genuine. With the warranty paper from manufacturer you can then sell it at a reasonable price. And you have peace of mind

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 06:05 PM   #42
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Box and papers is a good thing but not a deal breaker if i know the seller is legit.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 07:03 PM   #43
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
This and only this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
I don't trust anyone when it comes to buying a second hand Rolex. Even a trusted seller. Part of my condition of purchase is to ensure the watch isn't stolen by making a few quick phone calls, followed by a face-to-face meeting with the seller at my most trusted watchmaker and have him inspect the watch as well as open it up and make sure everything is 100% kosher.

If I can't do this, then I'm not interested and I walk away.

So, if you are offered this Hulk with no box or papers, that's fine. I'd still make sure it isn't stolen and I'd still have a trusted watchmaker open it up and confirm it real. Then I'd buy it.

I would not skimp on my investigation had the watch had full box and papers.

FYI, I just bought a Hulk 2 weeks ago from a forum member on another watch forum. Full box and papers. I still made my phone calls, and had my watchmaker confirm it real.
Old 31 January 2020, 08:31 PM   #44
wear4l
Banned

For me box and papers are important because it says a little about the watch history.
wear4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 08:51 PM   #45
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
In this day and age I can’t understand how anyone doesn’t have the box and card for a Rolex they are selling. People don’t chuck this stuff in a garage like they used too

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 08:55 PM   #46
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
In this day and age I can’t understand how anyone doesn’t have the box and card for a Rolex they are selling. People don’t chuck this stuff in a garage like they used too

Dead wrong in my experience. Enthusiasts keep it. Mist everyday people I know chuck everything even before the warranty runs out. Most people also like with a one watch nirvana and selling isn't even on their minds.

I would suggest there more naked modern rolex out there than full kits.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 08:59 PM   #47
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
It’s a fair point overall but, but most non enthusiasts who buy one watch don’t or can’t get a Rolex professional model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
Dead wrong in my experience. Enthusiasts keep it. Mist everyday people I know chuck everything even before the warranty runs out. Most people also like with a one watch nirvana and selling isn't even on their minds.

I would suggest there more naked modern rolex out there than full kits.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 09:45 PM   #48
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Kermit is a no buy without a complete set. The Hulk would depend on the price but I would start at $1500 off. A typical service is $750-950 so where is the discount if you get a thousand or less off. I have purchased watches before without box and papers but not super hot models where value can be very dependent on the complete set.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote