The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 1 February 2024, 11:32 PM   #1
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Is the OP so much more money than the date just?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Apologies my sentence was not complete - I believe they are trash at any price above their retail price (which is already too high for what they are). They add nothing to the table, the Exp 1 is a much nicer allrounder, the pop of colors has been done a million times by Rolex before on DDs, Daytonas etc with actually fancy dials (not boring ones) so yeah, i'm absolutely not impressed.

Too high for what they are? ALL Rolexes are too high for what they are. The OP houses the same movement, as the No Date Sub, in a very attractive all SS Oyster case. It is the best bang for buck, in the Rolex lineup, and in a very attractive package. To use the word “trash” to describe the iconic Rolex Oyster Perpetual, that literally started the brand, is very disrespectful, IMO, especially to do so, on The Rolex Forum….. Geez!

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 1 February 2024, 11:52 PM   #2
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Too high for what they are? ALL Rolexes are too high for what they are. The OP houses the same movement, as the No Date Sub, in a very attractive all SS Oyster case. It is the best bang for buck, in the Rolex lineup, and in a very attractive package. To use the word “trash” to describe the iconic Rolex Oyster Perpetual, that literally started the brand, is very disrespectful, IMO, especially to do so, on The Rolex Forum….. Geez!

Kat

Trash is an overstatement for sure.
To be fair, the bright colored dials look a little bit too much like a 1970s swatch. But still very fun!
Old 2 February 2024, 12:09 AM   #3
bostonjetset
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex OP36 Green
Quote:
The Oyster started the brand, not the oyster perpetual. Very different terminologies.

Oyster Perpetuals were never appreciated or well sold, and it's a fact. Gullible fashionable people are now buying it because of the flashy colors. Goes so well with today's LGBTQ+ fashion but that's a topic of discussion for another time.
Wow. Who hurt you? lol.

As a gay man with a green OP (arguably the LEAST flashy of the colored dials) I can confidently say my sexuality had nothing to do with my purchase. In fact I’m the only one among any of my gay friends with an OP. One friend wears a Yachtmaster. One wears a Baume & Mercier. Most wear dreadful Apple Watches though one of them at least got the Hermès edition to make it a little more interesting. And I have a few acquaintances with Subs and GMTs.
Old 2 February 2024, 12:15 AM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonjetset View Post
Wow. Who hurt you? lol.

As a gay man with a green OP (arguably the LEAST flashy of the colored dials) I can confidently say my sexuality had nothing to do with my purchase. In fact I’m the only one among any of my gay friends with an OP. One friend wears a Yachtmaster. One wears a Baume & Mercier. Most wear dreadful Apple Watches though one of them at least got the Hermès edition to make it a little more interesting. And I have a few acquaintances with Subs and GMTs.
Yep totally offside and does not reflect the community here.
Old 2 February 2024, 12:20 AM   #5
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I prefer a DJ with fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. The flashy colors on the OPs do nothing for me.
Old 2 February 2024, 12:38 AM   #6
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yep totally offside and does not reflect the community here.
Yes, here it's about watches, not who you are, or what you are. To each his own.
Old 2 February 2024, 01:46 AM   #7
KatGirl

Quote:
The Oyster started the brand, not the oyster perpetual. Very different terminologies.

Oyster Perpetuals were never appreciated or well sold, and it's a fact. Gullible fashionable people are now buying it because of the flashy colors. Goes so well with today's LGBTQ+ fashion but that's a topic of discussion for another time.

Wow! Questioning my knowledge of Rolex, and bringing people’s sexual preferences into this discussion, in the same post?! The first ever Rolex watch was produced in 1929, and was, indeed, the Oyster Perpetual. And, I’m assuming your bringing the LGBTQ community into this discussion has something to do with rainbow colors? I don’t even know how to respond to that statement, except to say, we don’t discriminate against any group, based on gender, sexual preference, political affiliation, religion, etc. How about you go troll some other forum? You are way out of line.

Kat

Old 4 February 2024, 05:37 AM   #8
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
The OP is by far the most understated Rolex you can own. Which is why I, and I imagine many other folks, like it so much.
Agreed! Great watch. I lucked out and got my white OP preowned (new on trade) weeks before it was discontinued. Congrats on yours! What I DO find ironic though, is how some online (including social media sites) expressed their dislike for the “Kit Kat” batons on the previous colored models then want crazy for the newest colors. A bit of hype & speculation maybe?

Quote:
Wow! Questioning my knowledge of Rolex, and bringing people’s sexual preferences into this discussion, in the same post?!.
…And, I’m assuming your bringing the LGBTQ community into this discussion has something to do with rainbow colors?

Kat

Thanks mods for comment removal and Kat for drawing attention to this unacceptable, out of line comment by the poster of it.
My Magic 8 ball predicts a short lived tenure on TRF for him, should he keep spewing as such.
Old 4 February 2024, 07:56 AM   #9
Milkshake
Banned

Quote:
Wow! Questioning my knowledge of Rolex,…?! The first ever Rolex watch was produced in 1929, and was, indeed, the Oyster Perpetual.

The first Oyster was introduced in 1926 not 1929 and it wasn’t until 1931 that the automatic winding Oyster Perpetual was introduced.

Also, Rolex started in 1905 as Wilsdorf and Davis and officially became Montres Rolex S.A. in 1920 then Rolex S.A. The trademark for the Rolex name was secured in 1908.

A Rolex had already been the first wristwatch to bear a Swiss Certificate of Chronometric Precision in 1911. 😂
Old 4 February 2024, 01:10 PM   #10
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkshake View Post
The first Oyster was introduced in 1926 not 1929 and it wasn’t until 1931 that the automatic winding Oyster Perpetual was introduced.

Also, Rolex started in 1905 as Wilsdorf and Davis and officially became Montres Rolex S.A. in 1920 then Rolex S.A. The trademark for the Rolex name was secured in 1908.

A Rolex had already been the first wristwatch to bear a Swiss Certificate of Chronometric Precision in 1911.

I’m sorry,I have no idea what you are going on about! But, I hope you are having fun….

Kat

Old 1 February 2024, 07:04 PM   #11
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
The good thing in life and watches are the we all have choices to make and this is just one of them. I love my oyster perpetuals but I also enjoy my explorer and datejust. I am mood based on my watches so when I am in my relaxed mode the OP and daytona and YM get worn the most.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
Old 1 February 2024, 08:04 PM   #12
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Social media; The coloured OP's are 'cool'. The DJ is just a watch.
Old 2 February 2024, 12:26 AM   #13
Jlk33

Are the basic color OP's actually selling at that 12k range? Or are they being listed at the inflated price, and either sitting, or is the gray dealer accepting a lower offer for the more basic colors? Outside of the Coral, Yellow, Green, Tiffany Blue, I'd speculate the other colors are selling closer to the smooth DJ 41 price range.
Old 2 February 2024, 01:46 AM   #14
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Ton a gatekeepers here that hate the idea of new people entering their gated community. Which is why so much dislike of the new colors because they bring new, less stodgy people to the brand. It’s why some people hate nicknames. It’s something that makes the hobby more accessible.

As far as the watch, I’ve got the regular blue version. It’s one of my most worn pieces. For all the people that say the OP is flashy compared to the Datejust, I say it’s the opposite. The datejust has the polished center links, the cyclops, the (sometimes) fluted bezel. The OP is by far the most understated Rolex you can own. Which is why I, and I imagine many other folks, like it so much.
Old 4 February 2024, 06:31 AM   #15
KatGirl

No worries, Janet. I AM a Super Hero, after all: dadadadadadadada…….
Katgirl! .

Old 5 February 2024, 01:33 AM   #16
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Well I guess I like my lame watches as I have a varied OP collection this being one of my favourite models.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
Old 5 February 2024, 01:46 AM   #17
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Well I guess I like my lame watches as I have a varied OP collection this being one of my favourite models.

That is a very cool color! As for the commenter above, he just enjoys making waves. Don’t let it bother you.

Kat

Old 5 February 2024, 02:25 AM   #18
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

For a while I wanted the yellow OP.
Now, I think I'd rather have the FPJ Octa S Ti yellow dial.
Much more fun!

In all seriousness though, the OP watches with smooth bezels and colorful dials are more fun than my more boring black stick dial DJ with fluted bezel. It's dressier and "more professional" for certain.

I love dial variations. So I wouldn't mind picking up a couple different colors of OP long term for the rotation. Black gets boring.
Old 5 February 2024, 03:03 AM   #19
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
Ibtl.
Closed Thread