The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 May 2024, 11:43 PM   #1
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Hot Water: A Fix for Slow 32xx Movements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
It seems simple to me. If it’s not working properly take it to a watchmaker.

I certainly agree with letting a watchmaker address a movement that isn't working properly.

But around here some think that +/-3 is a disaster

So it's all in the owner's interpretation of "properly".

I wonder how many take their car back to the dealer's service lane because they are getting 24.9mpg for a car advertised as having 25mpg...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 5 May 2024, 12:07 AM   #2
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I certainly agree with letting a watchmaker address a movement that isn't working properly.

I wonder how many take their car back to the dealer's service lane because they are getting 24.9mpg for a car advertised as having 25mpg...

Agreed.

I have chimed in on some of those threads in the past. Everyone has a phone in their pocket and it’s simple to get an atomic clock sync app so you have perfectly accurate time always unless you lose internet access.

I use such an app to set a watch when I pick it up to wear it. If it’s not losing minutes over a few days (ex time is off from phone such that I notice) then the watch is working. If it is off, it’s broken.

If the power reserve is such it can’t keep power when wound each day, then it’s broken.

All this other stuff is dumb. If accuracy is important there are MANY MANY better choices than traditional mechanical watches.
Old 5 May 2024, 12:44 AM   #3
JMGoodnight369
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed.

I have chimed in on some of those threads in the past. Everyone has a phone in their pocket and it’s simple to get an atomic clock sync app so you have perfectly accurate time always unless you lose internet access.

I use such an app to set a watch when I pick it up to wear it. If it’s not losing minutes over a few days (ex time is off from phone such that I notice) then the watch is working. If it is off, it’s broken.

If the power reserve is such it can’t keep power when wound each day, then it’s broken.

All this other stuff is dumb. If accuracy is important there are MANY MANY better choices than traditional mechanical watches.
Here’s the thing. Part of the reason I have paid tens of thousands of dollars for Rolex watches it the advertised accuracy AS well as the expectations that watch hold the advertised accuracy for longer than a few months or a couple years. Why is this such a touchy subject for people in this forum? IF YoU WaNT AcCURaCY GET a QUArTZ. Nah fam if I pay almost 12 grand for a watch that comes with a tag that clearly states +2/-2 seconds per day for at least 5 years and I have personally had 2 of those watches go wayyyyy out of those specs within months then I have every right to be upset and want some sort of explanation. It would just be real nice to have a constructive conversation about it. Do I think soaking a watch in hot water is gonna fix it? Of course not. BUT that could have information in there to point in the right direction of figuring out why some of these movements (not all of them) do not run right. It’s a pain dealing with it. You get excited about a watch and then you have to let it go for weeks or months to get it fixed hoping that it holds time past the warranty because it’s messed up to pay $900 to service a watch that was a dud from the beginning.
Old 5 May 2024, 02:34 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
Here’s the thing. Part of the reason I have paid tens of thousands of dollars for Rolex watches it the advertised accuracy AS well as the expectations that watch hold the advertised accuracy for longer than a few months or a couple years. Why is this such a touchy subject for people in this forum? IF YoU WaNT AcCURaCY GET a QUArTZ. Nah fam if I pay almost 12 grand for a watch that comes with a tag that clearly states +2/-2 seconds per day for at least 5 years and I have personally had 2 of those watches go wayyyyy out of those specs within months then I have every right to be upset and want some sort of explanation. It would just be real nice to have a constructive conversation about it. Do I think soaking a watch in hot water is gonna fix it? Of course not. BUT that could have information in there to point in the right direction of figuring out why some of these movements (not all of them) do not run right. It’s a pain dealing with it. You get excited about a watch and then you have to let it go for weeks or months to get it fixed hoping that it holds time past the warranty because it’s messed up to pay $900 to service a watch that was a dud from the beginning.
No what they state it's been tested to a precision of -2+2 seconds in a controlled environment and time of testing past.But on the wrist could vary as on the wrist many variables like say owner wearing habits,power reserve and many others.When I bought my new car they said I would get 43 miles to the gallon,but myself have never achieved this,and can assure my car cost more than the average SS watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 5 May 2024, 09:42 PM   #5
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
Totally agree. The whole “why not get a quartz if you want accuracy” crowd is getting annoying to be honest. I get it from the point of view of being OCD from someone being overly concerned about a watch being slightly out of spec. But if someone advertises something to be at a certain level of performance and that said object isn’t performing at that level, what’s wrong in pointing that out and seeking answers and resolution? Especially if it’s WAY OUT of spec.

I already know how many seconds are in a day after being told the umpteenth time.

I just hope the “why are you so worried about losing/gaining a few seconds” crowd allow us to voice our concerns in peace without lecturing us how “trivial” it is addressing accuracy issues from a brand that clearly advertises accuracy.
Old 5 May 2024, 10:04 PM   #6
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmahdi View Post
Totally agree. The whole “why not get a quartz if you want accuracy” crowd is getting annoying to be honest. I get it from the point of view of being OCD from someone being overly concerned about a watch being slightly out of spec. But if someone advertises something to be at a certain level of performance and that said object isn’t performing at that level, what’s wrong in pointing that out and seeking answers and resolution? Especially if it’s WAY OUT of spec.

I already know how many seconds are in a day after being told the umpteenth time.

I just hope the “why are you so worried about losing/gaining a few seconds” crowd allow us to voice our concerns in peace without lecturing us how “trivial” it is addressing accuracy issues from a brand that clearly advertises accuracy.
Again, mechanical watches have issues and they break.

If regulating your watch is something you want to do, send it in, or find a watchmaker who can do it.

Submerging your watch in hot water to try and fix the deviation seems silly.

This article sums up accuracy pretty well especially the conclusion. https://beckertime.com/the-accuracy-...grain-of-salt/
Old 5 May 2024, 11:08 PM   #7
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, mechanical watches have issues and they break.
Some movements more than others.

*cough*
Old 6 May 2024, 04:42 AM   #8
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

Well said

It's a put down or downright condecending on a number of levels as if one has some kind of mental or emotional deficiency.
Those that put COSC specs forward as an acceptable standard that anyone that hasn't got any of the above deficiency issues possibly could be able to look at it from another perspective.
What would they say about their COSC watch movement if it was running 20 or 30 seconds or in some cases even more seconds per day slower than the COSC specs and getting progressively worse when they paid serious $s for the watch and they full well know they could've bought a Seiko or some other brand at a similar price point straight out of a jeweller anywhere down the road and at a discount(without the wait list/expression of interest palava) and get better overall performance
We all know now that in some cases the timekeeping can start out just fine and in accordance with reasonable expectations then quite rapidly decline until it falls of a cliff.
Old 6 May 2024, 04:57 AM   #9
mrmahdi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Well said

It's a put down or downright condecending on a number of levels as if one has some kind of mental or emotional deficiency.
Those that put COSC specs forward as an acceptable standard that anyone that hasn't got any of the above deficiency issues possibly could be able to look at it from another perspective.
What would they say about their COSC watch movement if it was running 20 or 30 seconds or in some cases even more seconds per day slower than the COSC specs and getting progressively worse when they paid serious $s for the watch and they full well know they could've bought a Seiko or some other brand at a similar price point straight out of a jeweller anywhere down the road and at a discount(without the wait list/expression of interest palava) and get better overall performance
Totally agree 👍🏽.

I still want to know what triggers some people to trivialize people’s concern about what a company ADVERTISES as a selling point for a lot of people. Sure, some people might go overboard and be OCD about it, but some people in this forum just feel compelled to be dismissive, condescending and even outright disrespectful every time a person addresses accuracy issues with their watch.

As you stated, we paid a lot of money for something that is advertised as accurate to then not be accurate. We have the right to express our concerns without people mocking us and making us out to be crazy. I don’t mind constructive criticism and feedback, but to the point of condescension and even rudeness is where I draw the line.

At the end of the day, we are all different. Some don’t care about accuracy at all. Others do. We don’t have agree with each other, but we all should be respectful.
Old 6 May 2024, 06:16 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

At the end of the day, we are all different. Some don’t care about accuracy at all. Others do. We don’t have agree with each other, but we all should be respectful.
Completely agree.
Old 6 May 2024, 04:59 AM   #11
codecow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Well said

We all know now that in some cases the timekeeping can start out just fine and in accordance with reasonable expectations then quite rapidly decline until it falls of a cliff.
If the watch isn’t working right to the point where it bothers me I would send it for service. If it can’t be reasonably corrected then I’d sell or trade it.
Old 6 May 2024, 05:08 AM   #12
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the watch isn’t working right to the point where it bothers me I would send it for service. If it can’t be reasonably corrected then I’d sell or trade it.
Fair enough

I imagine it would be very disheartening for someone who has scored their first real Swiss watch and scrimped and saved for and the full wait list experience and all, to be on the recieving end of it in full when it goes south.
We have to acknowledge that it's not such an easy pill to swallow and shrug it off like those of us who have multiple watches to fall back on as if it's just another day in the life.
Old 5 May 2024, 06:39 AM   #13
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that some of what you are saying is contradictory.

We do need to be mindful of the possibility that people spend serious money on these things for various reasons of their own.
Then there is the backdrop of Rolex accuracy claims of the Superlative Chronometer watch, longer service intervals, lists of patents on the technology to make it all happen, etc.
Yes, most of us have access to better timekeeping instruments, but if a person isn't getting what they paid for and when out of warranty they have to pay to restore the watch to proper functality before it's supposedly due, then that speaks seriously to the quality of the item and the manufacture.
You mention a watch being "broken" a number of times and give some examples of what constitutes broken.
Others may disagree, especially if they've paid with their hard earned $s as to whether the item is broken or not.
I put it to you that Rolex themselves would agree that the watch not running to specifications is broken. After all, they will accept it when submitted for a warranty claim and restore it to proper functionality if the Amplitude and or timekeeping is off.

This business of comparing watches to cars is really way off sometimes.
After all, how many people here on the forum or in your orbit service their own mechanical watch?
Then compare that with the number of people you know that work on their own cars.
On the other side of it. I imagine that if a car wasn't running right or isn't safe to drive on the road it would be handed over to a professional with the tools and expertise to put it right, not over a small variation in fuel economy standards that are established as a result of strict test criteria.
Your mileage may vary
Old 5 May 2024, 12:30 AM   #14
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

.1 our 25 is 4 tenths of 1 percent. 1 additional second out of 2 seconds is, well, quite a bit more. I think we know what your saying though.
Closed Thread