The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 January 2024, 11:35 PM   #1
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Mayors Jacksonville FL

Does anyone know when the remodel will be completed?

They lost Rolex last year until the remodel is complete

Just sounder if the will actually get the brand back or if gone for ever.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:04 AM   #2
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I don’t know but I got my last three Rolexes at Underwood in Ponte Vedra, including my BLNR.

I got my Seamaster at Mayors several years back, but I had no idea they were in the process of remodeling.

All I know is that Underwood came through for me, but Mayors did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 12:19 AM   #3
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I don’t know but I got my last three Rolexes at Underwood in Ponte Vedra, including my BLNR.

I got my Seamaster at Mayors several years back, but I had no idea they were in the process of remodeling.

Yeah, Underwood’s PV is nice. Had a great conversation with one of their salesman.

Wasn’t really in the market for me, but looking for a OP36 Pink Candy for my wife.

I know I am not getting with out a spend history.

Bought my Tag, SD43 & Explorer II Polar from Mayors along with a few other things, so I actually have a history.

Originally they said Spring of this year, but I stopped by the temp location and now they are saying December 24.

2 years for a remodel seems excessive.

I also don’t know if they are actually getting the brand back.

May have to start over at Underwood’s.

Do you know what other brands they carry beside Rolex & Tudor?
Old 7 January 2024, 12:25 AM   #4
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Yeah, Underwood’s PV is nice. Had a great conversation with one of their salesman.

Wasn’t really in the market for me, but looking for a OP36 Pink Candy for my wife.

Bought my Tag, SD43 & Explorer II Polar from Mayors along with a few other things, so I actually have a history.

Originally they said Spring of this year, but I stopped by the temp location and now they are saying December 24.

I believe Underwood only has Rolex, Tudor, Seiko, and Grand Seiko. Unlike Mayors and other ADs, they don't sell a lot of other brands.

The thing I find interesting is that I actually had a purchase history with Mayors, but it was Underwood who came through with my Rolexes. Mayors did not.
Old 8 January 2024, 02:58 AM   #5
physicist
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think they just picked up Grand Seiko.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 12:46 PM   #6
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Icon18

Quote:

What else did you have to buy at Underwoods to get a blnr????
Dawgprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 01:40 PM   #7
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgprint View Post
What else did you have to buy at Underwoods to get a blnr????

For our 30th anniversary, we treated ourselves to his and her Datejusts. That was exciting for us. We were thrilled and still are.

I never expected the opportunity to get a BLNR to be totally honest. But I got the call about a year later and picked it up the next day.

Old 9 January 2024, 01:52 PM   #8
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For our 30th anniversary, we treated ourselves to his and her Datejusts. That was exciting for us. We were thrilled and still are.

I never expected the opportunity to get a BLNR to be totally honest. But I got the call about a year later and picked it up the next day.

That was Before the big rush though right?
Old 9 January 2024, 02:36 PM   #9
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgprint View Post
That was Before the big rush though right?

Two years ago. It was January 2022 when I asked. I got mine in June or July. My wife got hers in August or September. So we were knee deep in the supply/demand conundrum.

Old 7 January 2024, 12:36 AM   #10
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Although I’m not in market, just speaking from similar that happened here and grew up there a bit when I was younger.

Finks was the last AD for about 2 years here, they lost AD status for a bit, then Diamond Cellars opened as an AD. Probably 3-4 years later after they opened another Finks remodeled in the right way for the current Rolex model and of course are an AD again. Sounds kinda similar to the Mayors situation then.
Old 7 January 2024, 12:38 AM   #11
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Never heard of agreeing to undertake the renovations, but losing the brand until they are done. How can the merchant pay for it with no Rolex revenue?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 01:09 AM   #12
Jh99
"TRF" Member

Underwood’s PV is the way to go. Mayors didn’t come through for me and was an off putting experience in general when I inquired.
Jh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 03:13 AM   #13
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jh99 View Post
Underwood’s PV is the way to go. Mayors didn’t come through for me and was an off putting experience in general when I inquired.

Another very strong recommendation for Underwoods. Never been to Mayors.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 02:57 AM   #14
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

While on vacation 2 years ago, I visited Mayors at Millenia Mall (Orlando). They had no inventory for sale, but their 3 security guys were ready for action. I endured a conversation with a young self-impressed SA who placed me on their list for an Exp II. I phoned Mayors a year later, and they had no record of me ever being on their wait list, which didn't surprise me.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 08:49 AM   #15
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
While on vacation 2 years ago, I visited Mayors at Millenia Mall (Orlando). They had no inventory for sale, but their 3 security guys were ready for action. I endured a conversation with a young self-impressed SA who placed me on their list for an Exp II. I phoned Mayors a year later, and they had no record of me ever being on their wait list, which didn't surprise me.
I have been in that location many many times. Today in fact. I have never seen more than one security gaurd . Always off to the side and discreet.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2024, 01:23 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
I have been in that location many many times. Today in fact. I have never seen more than one security gaurd . Always off to the side and discreet.
I think I heard they reserve you a special parking spot Michelle
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 01:41 PM   #17
InvalidUserID
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
I live near the Mayor's in Orlando at Mall of Millenia and I have visited that store 3-4 times a year. My SA was Tim Robinson who told me he would register me for a watch registry list. Told me that they allocate watches based upon random draws of the pool of people waiting, otherwise it would not be fair to wait very long since the registry lists are so long and that spend history didn't matter because it would not be fair for those who want to get their first Rolex. He said to come back in to check with him once every 3-6 months to let him know I am still interested in my registry. If I didn't, the system would then assume I am no longer interested and would not get the call.

I visited him every 3-6 months like mentioned and on one particular date, he said I haven't been there in a year. I then knew he was just making me kick rocks and never came back to that store nor even tried to deal with him.

Anyway, I don't think his reasoning was genuine at all. Have gone there several times and they never logged me for stopping by to update my "profile" to being actively interested.
InvalidUserID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 09:25 AM   #18
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Great to know. Oddly enough I am looking at a vacation home in Ponte Vedra and drove by that AD but never stopped in. I am going to stop in this spring when looking at real estate.
Old 7 January 2024, 09:32 AM   #19
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Great to know. Oddly enough I am looking at a vacation home in Ponte Vedra and drove by that AD but never stopped in. I am going to stop in this spring when looking at real estate.

May I ask why that area?

I live in Fernandina Beach, 45 minutes north and better in every way.

PM me if you have questions
Old 7 January 2024, 01:33 PM   #20
Dawgprint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
May I ask why that area?

I live in Fernandina Beach, 45 minutes north and better in every way.

PM me if you have questions
Shhhhh Bill, we have enuff yankees….lol
Old 7 January 2024, 09:30 AM   #21
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Used to live in St. Johns and moved away in 2018.

Underwoods is the way to go. The manager at Mayors was rather frosty--not sure if she is still there or not. Interesting they lost AD status.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 04:39 PM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Based upon past actions, I would expect that when Mayors JAX remodel and Rolex boutique section is completed that Underwood will lose their AD status.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 07:13 PM   #23
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Based upon past actions, I would expect that when Mayors JAX remodel and Rolex boutique section is completed that Underwood will lose their AD status.

The golfers love Underwood’s, maybe the PGA will step up.
Old 7 January 2024, 07:30 PM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Mayors Jacksonville FL

Quote:

LOL!

Why? There is no logical basis for such an assertion.

Underwood is in the richest section of the Jacksonville/ St John’s County area. TPC Sawgrass—one of the most prestigious golf courses in the country—is down the street from it.

Old 8 January 2024, 04:27 AM   #25
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL!

Why? There is no logical basis for such an assertion.

Underwood is in the richest section of the Jacksonville/ St John’s County area. TPC Sawgrass—one of the most prestigious golf courses in the country—is down the street from it.

That really doesn't matter as much as you think in Rolex grand plan.

This Jeweler: https://www.leighjewelers.com. has a decent free standing store in proximity to the Orchid Island / Indian River Shores area.

Those communities rank #6 and #9 in terms of wealthiest neighborhoods in FL.

https://mfi-miami.com/2018/04/top-10...neighborhoods/

Leigh Jewelers lost their AD status about 4yrs ago. People in that area either drive to Orlando or the Palm Beach area to obtain Rolex from freshly remodeled stores and boutiques.

Will the golf connection help in that area of JAX area? Maybe. I would suspect Daytona is on the Hitlist too based on their old and inadequate facility, but the auto racing scene may prove to be an exception.

There are plenty of other independent AD who were in "affluent" areas, but had old stores in strip malls that got the axe.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 05:06 AM   #26
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Mayors Jacksonville FL

Quote:

This Jeweler: https://www.leighjewelers.com. has a decent free standing store in proximity to the Orchid Island / Indian River Shores area.

Leigh Jewelers lost their AD status about 4yrs ago. People in that area either drive to Orlando or the Palm Beach area to obtain Rolex from freshly remodeled stores and boutiques.

Will the golf connection help in that area of JAX area? Maybe. I would suspect Daytona is on the Hitlist too based on their old and inadequate facility, but the auto racing scene may prove to be an exception.

There are plenty of other independent AD who were in "affluent" areas, but had old stores in strip malls that got the axe.

I predict they’ll still be an AD three years from now.

Old 8 January 2024, 11:27 PM   #27
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The only AD in Savannah got the axe with Hilton Head right next door. Now the nearest AD is two hours away. Nothing they are doing surprises me anymore, but I really hope Underwood’s is safe.
Old 9 January 2024, 05:49 AM   #28
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:

The AD on St Armand’s Circle was one of the first to go when this first started. Before we knew what was going on. As you know that’s an extremely wealthy area. I was surprised to see that.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 06:35 AM   #29
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
I agree that the closures don’t always make sense or follow an exact pattern.
Couple of fairly recent cases I’m aware of:
1. I.W. Marks in central Houston was a Rolex dealer as long as I can remember. Its patriarch got some publicity by supplying Ellen DeGeneres with a SS Daytona when she first started collecting and lamented on her show how she was having trouble getting one. Family owned large jewelry store with other watch brands and plenty of loyal customers. But things started to change I think when a competing jeweler opened the first Rolex only Boutique in 2014 just a few miles away. It was also in a dreaded strip center location albeit its anchor. They lost Rolex several years ago and at the end of last year the owners retired and closed shop. There are now only five Rolex outlets in the nation’s 4th biggest city with only three owners.
2. Susan Robinson Jewelers in Tyler TX, probably very similar to the Florida independent being discussed here. Tyler’s population is probably around 100K but it’s a hub for oil and timber industries, its metro area certainly had the people and wealth to support an AD. Still, I kept watching to see what would happen and early last year the remaining family owners announced they were retiring and closing their store. They remained a Rolex dealer until the end but have not been replaced in the area and I’m sure now they won’t be. The closest Rolex stores now are several hours away in Dallas and Shreveport.

So yes area wealth is no guarantee for a dealer. There are pockets of that all over the US, nothing special about that. My current area has a metro population of at least half a million and three Fortune 500 headquarters with lots of employees and one independent Rolex dealer. I hope they stay one but no certainties these days.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 12:27 PM   #30
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I agree that the closures don’t always make sense or follow an exact pattern.
Couple of fairly recent cases I’m aware of:
1. I.W. Marks in central Houston was a Rolex dealer as long as I can remember. Its patriarch got some publicity by supplying Ellen DeGeneres with a SS Daytona when she first started collecting and lamented on her show how she was having trouble getting one. Family owned large jewelry store with other watch brands and plenty of loyal customers. But things started to change I think when a competing jeweler opened the first Rolex only Boutique in 2014 just a few miles away. It was also in a dreaded strip center location albeit its anchor. They lost Rolex several years ago and at the end of last year the owners retired and closed shop. There are now only five Rolex outlets in the nation’s 4th biggest city with only three owners.
2. Susan Robinson Jewelers in Tyler TX, probably very similar to the Florida independent being discussed here. Tyler’s population is probably around 100K but it’s a hub for oil and timber industries, its metro area certainly had the people and wealth to support an AD. Still, I kept watching to see what would happen and early last year the remaining family owners announced they were retiring and closing their store. They remained a Rolex dealer until the end but have not been replaced in the area and I’m sure now they won’t be. The closest Rolex stores now are several hours away in Dallas and Shreveport.

So yes area wealth is no guarantee for a dealer. There are pockets of that all over the US, nothing special about that. My current area has a metro population of at least half a million and three Fortune 500 headquarters with lots of employees and one independent Rolex dealer. I hope they stay one but no certainties these days.

In ancient medieval times, people blamed comets and shooting stars for famines, droughts, and plagues.

The logic was simple. The comet or shooting star coincided with the event. Therefore, the comet or shooting star must be the reason.

That’s no different than what is being posted about Underwood in this thread. People can cite some examples of similar ADs losing status. Therefore, that will happen to all ADs of similar stature. That is the logic being applied here.