The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 19 July 2022, 04:27 AM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL330 View Post
in 2018, I got 15% off a 116618LB Bluesy Gold Sub... I'm sure the Day Date would have been higher... I don't think we're going to see 15% off at an AD ever again however..
Yeah I agree with this. Value plummets or not, Rolex I think has REALLY tightened down on this. ADs don’t want to lose their status and they’re not going to discount with Rolex telling them not to.
Old 19 July 2022, 06:05 AM   #2
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Yeah I agree with this. Value plummets or not, Rolex I think has REALLY tightened down on this. ADs don’t want to lose their status and they’re not going to discount with Rolex telling them not to.
is it documented they wouldn't permit discounting? I thought the only rule was not selling above MSRP.

going to be a lot of watches collecting dust if greys are offering 20 to 30% discounts while ADs can't
Old 20 July 2022, 12:06 AM   #3
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I tried to get an LB gold sub in around 2018/2019 that was sitting in the case probably over a year. Stickers falling off. Lots of handling wear. I offered around 20% off wire for it and the AD owner said NO. Before all this madness east discounts were rare/ nonexistent from my experience.
Old 20 July 2022, 12:20 AM   #4
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anestheticsaregood View Post
I tried to get an LB gold sub in around 2018/2019 that was sitting in the case probably over a year. Stickers falling off. Lots of handling wear. I offered around 20% off wire for it and the AD owner said NO. Before all this madness east discounts were rare/ nonexistent from my experience.
Depends on the AD and location.
Old 20 July 2022, 03:44 AM   #5
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMillennial View Post
is it documented they wouldn't permit discounting? I thought the only rule was not selling above MSRP.

going to be a lot of watches collecting dust if greys are offering 20 to 30% discounts while ADs can't
I was at my AD late last week, and I was told Rolex has threatened loss of AD status if they discount. Of course, this just applies to retail customers.

And who knows what the future will bring. If we ever get to the place where display cases are full (and more inventory in the safe), ADs might be allowed to discount again.

-Edward O. Wilson
Old 20 July 2022, 03:55 AM   #6
soicanbefree
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I was at my AD late last week, and I was told Rolex has threatened loss of AD status if they discount. Of course, this just applies to retail customers.

And who knows what the future will bring. If we ever get to the place where display cases are full (and more inventory in the safe), ADs might be allowed to discount again.
Ok.. no discounts then. But I'll expect them to give me a free gift... maybe some jewelry, diamonds or gold.
Old 20 July 2022, 04:09 AM   #7
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post

Correct. ADs are facing pressure like never before and we’ve seen an unprecedented amount of ADs lose their status. Discounts are 100% finished in my opinion. Promise of a second watch or discount on jewelry is all you’ll get if prices do all settle back down.

I actually like this though, maintains the value long term.
Old 19 July 2022, 04:26 AM   #8
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What was the expected discount pre-hype for a yellow gold day date? On the shelf vs custom order?
In the case so it’s sitting right there? 20% EASY, 25% doable.
Old 19 July 2022, 11:59 AM   #9
Shola
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
What was the expected discount pre-hype for a yellow gold day date? On the shelf vs custom order?
A lot. 20% in the Bahamas and Las Vegas.
Old 19 July 2022, 06:13 AM   #10
Meltingicecube
Banned

It's simple! If the secondary market is trading above MSRP, ADs would not discount but if grey market crashes and stays there for an extended period of time, ADs have no choice but to discount!
Old 19 July 2022, 06:15 AM   #11
Meltingicecube
Banned

It's easy to tell your ADs not to discount when most of your watches are trading at twice MSRP! Tell them the same thing when watches are trading at 70% of MSRP and all of a sudden Rolex becomes a liability for ADs!
Old 19 July 2022, 07:31 AM   #12
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltingicecube View Post
It's easy to tell your ADs not to discount when most of your watches are trading at twice MSRP! Tell them the same thing when watches are trading at 70% of MSRP and all of a sudden Rolex becomes a liability for ADs!
ADs may not discount directly but greys will. The AD-Grey 'relationship' will always exist.
Old 19 July 2022, 12:01 PM   #13
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

DD40 olive now in the upper $50s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2022, 12:43 PM   #14
GoWarriors
"TRF" Member

These Moda updates are great guys, thank you so much for posting them :)
Old 19 July 2022, 09:02 PM   #15
Fifteen
Banned

I expect all of us (actual watch enthusiasts) to be able to pick up ANY model at the AD with little to no wait by early next year (perhaps with the exception of Daytona).
Old 19 July 2022, 09:03 PM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifteen View Post
i expect all of us (actual watch enthusiasts) to be able to pick up any model at the ad with little to no wait by early next year (perhaps with the exception of daytona).
qft
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 19 July 2022, 09:11 PM   #17
gyang333
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
I expect all of us (actual watch enthusiasts) to be able to pick up ANY model at the AD with little to no wait by early next year (perhaps with the exception of Daytona).
Man, hope this is true lol.
Old 19 July 2022, 10:04 PM   #18
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Would be nice, but probably wishful thinking…
Old 20 July 2022, 12:21 AM   #19
FrogWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I sure hope so but I think the AD’s attached to a jewelry store will keep the artificial scarcity going as long as they can. Their bottom lines have never been better by the misc. spend on jewelry to “qualify” for a watch. They aren’t going to give that up anytime soon. Rolexes will always sell. They will always be able to find a buyer. Won’t be any rush for them.

Old 20 July 2022, 12:14 AM   #20
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Guys - just want to say this thread has been informative and very constructive conversation about a litany of topics of the current market trends. Lets keep this going.
Old 20 July 2022, 03:01 AM   #21
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Moda update: Unworn Daytona panda sitting at 35k with no bites
Old 20 July 2022, 03:15 AM   #22
DJ4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post

Wow…
U know about actual trade prices of AP RO 41 ST… ?
just curious…

Old 20 July 2022, 04:09 AM   #23
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:

He just dropped it down to 34600 rn

Old 21 November 2022, 05:41 AM   #24
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Wow! back in july it was 35k. 4 months later now its at 29k.
Old 20 July 2022, 03:14 AM   #25
HAL330
Banned

Watch: xyz
I remember talk of a housing bubble in 2008... and now if you bought a house in 2008, at the top of the bubble, and held on to it, you either doubled or tripled your money today..

What goes up must come down, and what comes down always goes up...

ignore the laws of economics if you want, but for me.. I see now as a buying opportunity for Rolex watches.. if you think we'll get back to a time when you get 20% off from an AD, wait it out.... but if I were a betting man, I'd say inside of a year or two, you'll be wishing you paid that 10% above MSRP for that watch you've been wanting for a while.

I did my due diligence and felt buying now makes sense... maybe I'll be wrong, in which case I might lose 10-20% in value... who cares? I buy to wear, not to flip.
Old 20 July 2022, 03:18 AM   #26
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I remember talk of a housing bubble in 2008... and now if you bought a house in 2008, at the top of the bubble, and held on to it, you either doubled or tripled your money today..

ignore the laws of economics if you want, but for me.. I see now as a buying opportunity for Rolex watches.. if you think we'll get back to a time when you get 20% off from an AD, wait it out.... but if I were a betting man, I'd say inside of a year or two, you'll be wishing you paid that 10% above MSRP for that watch you've been wanting for a while.

I did my due diligence and felt buying now makes sense... maybe I'll be wrong, in which case I might lose 10-20% in value... who cares? I buy to wear, not to flip.
people have been buying watches with the expectation that they lose money once you walk out the door for years. i don't personally see any reason to not buy near msrp or msrp+slight premium today if it's something you've wanted for a while. like you said, price can go down but there should be no shame for buying near msrp ...

i think the people waiting to buy the actual bottom with discounts like before 2017 might be waiting a long time (or forever). it's very similar to the stocks/crypto market. how many people were begging for bitcoin to drop to 30-40k one last time when it was near highs so they could buy it and then it drops to 17k and they were nowhere to be found because now they're waiting for 10k. they'll be buying back much higher lol
Old 20 July 2022, 03:32 AM   #27
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I remember talk of a housing bubble in 2008... and now if you bought a house in 2008, at the top of the bubble, and held on to it, you either doubled or tripled your money today.
Yes, but currency has devalued nearly 50% to 70%.

Yes, the next bubble should begin around 2033 and peak two years later. It's a feature, not a bug, of their system.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 20 July 2022, 04:17 AM   #28
NeoDough
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yes, but currency has devalued nearly 50% to 70%.
People consistently fail to grasp this concept when looking at historical prices. If your real, current dollar is worth 50% less, then a 100% nominal increase in an asset's value means you've broken even.
Old 20 July 2022, 04:30 AM   #29
flyingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Totally agree. Also not everywhere saw such fantastic increases in house prices. Also your house may be worth more but so is the house you want to buy when you sell yours unless you move from, say, San Francisco to middle of nowhere USA.

And of course there is the lovely thing called property tax and maybe you needed a new roof, new siding, new boiler, wife wants a new kitchen... I see many people grinning on that one :-)

Yep, some people lucked out in the housing market, just the way did some did buying Rolex watches or bitcoin etc. Other people just bought watches to wear and enjoy them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoDough View Post
People consistently fail to grasp this concept when looking at historical prices. If your real, current dollar is worth 50% less, then a 100% nominal increase in an asset's value means you've broken even.
Old 20 July 2022, 04:12 AM   #30
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Current grey prices aren’t even at parity with MSRP + tax on a lot of models though. I don’t consider it a ‘buying opportunity’ until that point is reached.
Closed Thread