The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 7 March 2023, 09:46 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Has anyone done the low-carb or Keto style diet?

My mother passed last fall. I am an only child and my father had a terrible disease and died when I was young so her and me were very close. When she went in to home hospice I told my company I was moving in with her (in another state) to be with her these final days. They said I couldn’t do that… I told them to- Well, I quit. Understandably, I was under quite a strain for the last few months of the year and put on about 15 pounds. I find it disgusting, since I am usually in excellent shape and my health is very good. We are all human, make mistakes and let ourselves go one time or another in life so I was determined to lose it and Jan 1st started a low-cal diet and exercise program.

I lost a couple pounds but really did not have a lot of results over the month and a half I gave it. I did a lot of research and spoke with some TRFers, and it seems while I was keeping my calories low, I was consuming WAY too many carbs. SO, on March 1st I ditched the carbs and have not been concerned about calories. I also, restricted my eating (as recommended by one on line forum) to within eight hours a day. If I have breakfast at 9:00AM, I will not eat after 5:00PM. 10AM and 6PM, 11 and 7PM etc.

The first couple days I had the “Keto flu” as they called it, basically felt like death warmed over. I could tell I was addicted to sugar, and boy was my body making me pay for not eating any. I won’t go in to details, but honestly I consider this a short term withdrawal from substance abuse, it was miserable. Thanks to any GOD you care to worship it only last about two and a half days and I started feeling better. I am one-week in now, keeping my carbs to between 30 and 50. The craving for sugar is being held at bay, but I still feel pretty miserable. The headaches are gone, but I am extremely lethargic. I try to go to the gym but barely have the energy to pack my gym bag. I am thinking much more clearly, and am able to get my contract work done, but physically feel bloated, tired, lethargic, I get up and look forward to going back to bed that night.

Am I dying? PLEASE someone that has experience with this diet tell me it will get better soon. I haven’t seen results yet, well, honestly haven’t weighed myself but don’t look or feel any lighter. Honestly if this is the way I feel eating and existing like this I might give up and be the next client on the show: “My 600 pound life” It just sucks!!!!!!! Oh, and one last question, my sleep is awful. Ironically, it seems like I have so much energy right before I go to bed, it feels like my body is going in to over-driving processing food and it gets me so wired! It is truly a strange feeling. The only good night sleep I have had since I started was when I took a strong sleeping pill. I keep waking up and wanting to bound out of bed, go bowling or something (really!).

I know, it’s only been one week, but someone please tell me this is all going to improve and soon I will be able to return to my male-exotic dancing career.

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2023, 10:00 PM   #2
Willows
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, Sub, Airking
Long-term Low carb/Keto here. You're well on your way, and things will improve, don't worry!

Proper hydration and electrolytes (sodium/potassium/magnesium) will help with the symptoms you are experiencing.

I have a couple of book recommendations for you, with a lot of data and references to keep on the right track.

Eat rich, Live long; by Ivor Cummins and Jeffry Gerber, MD https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Rich-Live...s%2C168&sr=8-1

The Diabetes Code, by Dr Jason Fung - https://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Code...s%2C178&sr=8-2

Keep us posted, things will improve! Good luck!
Willows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:04 AM   #3
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I did a little while back, shed 30 with a quickness. Now I would consider myself carb-few.

I can't speak to what is currently happening to you, but I felt better instantly - like next day. More energy, slept like a stone.

Random question, do you drink diet soft drinks?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:15 AM   #4
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I think they just released a study from GB that showed that the keto style diet was associated with more vascular complications. (Stroke, heart attack, etc.)

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:33 AM   #5
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Have you had your testosterone levels checked?
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:40 AM   #6
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Paul, could you be depressed with everything you are going through, hence the lack of sleep, waking up and wanting to go back to sleep, no energy? I'm sure you will figure it out soon. Hang in there.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:57 AM   #7
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

X2 on the testosterone check-up.

A few friends have tried the keto diet when it became the trend in fitness circles. All of them went back to a modified high protein low carb diet because they felt their regular aerobic and endurance performance suffered when they were not getting enough carbs. They generally felt like crap even weeks later. However, it did help them kick the sugar and heavy carb reliance.

Based on their experiences, I have reduced my carb and processed food intake and lost a little weight (not my main goal) but feel better overall. I try to minimize white breads, sugars and now, sadly, alcohol. Trying to do the same with sugars as well, but that seems harder for me.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 01:07 AM   #8
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Paul, I did the keto thing for about a year. The first few weeks were miserable. I felt the exact way you do. It does get better.

That being said, I didn't stick with it. I don't think it's a sustainable lifestyle, certainly not for me. It's a quick fix. I have a terrible relationship with food and about a year ago I just decided to start eating better and commit to exercise. I don't do well with cutting things I really like out of my diet completely. It makes me miserable. Mainly bread and sweets. My two weaknesses. So instead of that, I just eat both very sparingly. I might have bread once or twice a month instead of once or twice a day. I may have something sweet once or twice a month instead of literally after EVERY SINGLE MEAL. No lie. I don't keep anything sweet in the house. So if I want it, I have to go out. Really cuts down on my typical eating because I'm bored. That's my go to. I keep bread in the freezer so it isn't easily accessible. If I want it, I have to plan ahead.

It may not work for everyone, but it works for me. I have finally realized at 43 years old that if I want to look the way I do, now, I can't eat the way I have my whole life. I can't have both. Like I said, I'm 43 and easily in the best shape of my life.
Old 8 March 2023, 01:34 AM   #9
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I did keto a few years ago. It took six days for my metabolism to change. Once that happened I felt pretty good. The caveat is that gym performance suffered greatly on keto. Recovery times were longer and I felt achy after vigorous sessions.

I dropped off keto after about two months and went to a reduced carb program that is sustainable for life (keto is not a life long program).

Agree with the prior post about depression. You have posted in the past about PTSD. Now may be a good time to check in with your therapist and have a chat about how you’re feeling.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 01:49 AM   #10
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Formula diets are iffy, what’s important is adopting an attitude, lifestyle and approach to eating that is healthy and sustainable.

Check in with a professional (an established professional, not someone promoting a particular fad). Counting calories, eliminating this or that food group doesn’t work for me, and doctors and nutritionists say eating balanced meals, and eating less, lower portions are the healthiest way to go.

It may take a bit longer to get there, but in the long run it’s best, and the most enjoyable.
Old 8 March 2023, 02:08 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Paul, I know general advice isn’t specifically what you are seeking here but I throw in my

You’re going to be hit here with “what works for me” type responses … so you’ll have to filter through.

I’m not a big fan of diet specific plans. I’ve seen some work and others not so much. The common theme in losing weight, and keeping it off is discipline.

I’d focus less on a specific diet plan, and more on eating lean and healthy. I like who ever the anonymous TRFr’s advice to you was about routine and eating on a regular schedule. Nothing past 6 pm.

I’m a big believer in moderation. If you deny yourself the foods you crave you just end up substituting other things, at least that’s how it works for many I believe.

Have some carbs, have some desserts whatever your poison. Make it once a day and keep it to a small portion. Eat lots of veggies and protein for the most part (meat or otherwise), and IMHO you’ll see results. Oh, and drink water, 3.5-4litres a day.

All the very best of luck!
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 02:16 AM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Paul, I know general advice isn’t specifically what you are seeking here but I throw in my

You’re going to be hit here with “what works for me” type responses … so you’ll have to filter through.

I’m not a big fan of diet specific plans. I’ve seen some work and others not so much. The common theme in losing weight, and keeping it off is discipline.

I’d focus less on a specific diet plan, and more on eating lean and healthy. I like who ever the anonymous TRFr’s advice to you was about routine and eating on a regular schedule. Nothing past 6 pm.

I’m a big believer in moderation. If you deny yourself the foods you crave you just end up substituting other things, at least that’s how it works for many I believe.

Have some carbs, have some desserts whatever your poison. Make it once a day and keep it to a small portion. Eat lots of veggies and protein for the most part (meat or otherwise), and IMHO you’ll see results. Oh, and drink water, 3.5-4litres a day.

great advice. absolutely part of an overall, long term plan. also the water part. drink tons of water.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 12:42 PM   #13
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:

Hey Paul, hoping not to be the “what worked for me guy” I have to say what Brian said is “what worked for me”. I lost just shy of 100lbs about 7 years ago and have kept it off with Brians suggestions. A well rounded diet, in moderation, lots of water and of course a physical exercise routine that you enjoy doing. For me it’s been three nights a week in the climbing gym and my weekly strenuous hike. I remember it wasn’t to long ago that you were enjoying some nice hikes.

Be kind to yourself, you have had a lot of things to address over the last year. Even badass fighter pilots get to be human. To your credit you haven’t curled up and crawled under a rock but you have decided you want to be on a different path. Thats where it starts. Body, Mind and Soul its always changing and sometimes challenging. Seek progress over perfection and celebrate the successes. 👍
Old 8 March 2023, 01:10 PM   #14
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
Hey Paul, hoping not to be the “what worked for me guy” I have to say what Brian said is “what worked for me”. I lost just shy of 100lbs about 7 years ago and have kept it off with Brians suggestions. A well rounded diet, in moderation, lots of water and of course a physical exercise routine that you enjoy doing. For me it’s been three nights a week in the climbing gym and my weekly strenuous hike. I remember it wasn’t to long ago that you were enjoying some nice hikes.

Be kind to yourself, you have had a lot of things to address over the last year. Even badass fighter pilots get to be human. To your credit you haven’t curled up and crawled under a rock but you have decided you want to be on a different path. Thats where it starts. Body, Mind and Soul its always changing and sometimes challenging. Seek progress over perfection and celebrate the successes. 👍
Thank you, much appreciated
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 07:47 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post

Be kind to yourself, you have had a lot of things to address over the last year. Even badass fighter pilots get to be human. To your credit you haven’t curled up and crawled under a rock but you have decided you want to be on a different path. Thats where it starts. Body, Mind and Soul its always changing and sometimes challenging. Seek progress over perfection and celebrate the successes.
Sincere congratulations on your accomplishment! That is amazing and I'm very happy to hear

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2023, 02:10 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

I will tell you what I tell myself. Excuses are worthless. You either hit your goals, or you to do not. No one to blame but you. And I don't care how bad the problem/excuse is. It is still just an excuse. We tell them to ourselves to make us feel better.

FWIW, I have a ton of them. Just yesterday, I tweaked my back while working out. I have had major back injuries the last decade. It felt as if I did something really bad. Limped around all day. In a lot of pain. Still got my steps in last night. And I was still at the gym this morning. I simply did elliptical instead of resistance training. And then I did a lot of core work. I am still in a lot of pain.

But if I gain weight, my excuses mean nothing. If I do not hit my goals, excuses mean nothing. I either hit my goals, or I don't. I have zero patience my own excuses or anyone else's. If the goals are not important enough, then you don't hit them. If they are, you do. Simple as that. Not my rules. Life's rules.

In regard to Keto, it is a fad. It can certainly work. But the truth is that anything works, if you do it consistently for long enough.

Decide what you want. Make a plan to get there. Stick to it over time. And you will hit your goals. If you don't, you won't.

I do also echo what others said about low T. I am all for adding whatever necessary to hit your goals.

Old 8 March 2023, 02:39 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
… Just yesterday, I tweaked my back while working out. I have had major back injuries the last decade. It felt as if I did something really bad. Limped around all day. In a lot of pain. .
Hope you heal up buddy … back pain is the worst.
Old 8 March 2023, 02:56 AM   #18
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, please don't cause further harm superdog, hopefully you are stretching plenty as well.
Old 8 March 2023, 03:03 AM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
Yes, please don't cause further harm superdog, hopefully you are stretching plenty as well.
appreciate that fellas. I am feeling better today than yesterday. and I am thrilled about it. I have a sneaky suspicion that if I took a rest day, I would not be feeling better. I was careful.

I have had to epidurals and one back surgery. my surgeon stated years ago that I will definitely need surgery again. I disagree. I might. I might not. I will continue to be careful of my core and try and strengthen it.

I agree that back pain is the worst. every movement hurts. sneezing, coughing, laughing. etc.

but I refuse to allow my excuses to get the better of me. I will do until I cannot. then I will fix it or figure it out. but the only way I fail is when I quit. which will never happen.

Old 8 March 2023, 03:07 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
appreciate that fellas. I am feeling better today than yesterday. and I am thrilled about it. I have a sneaky suspicion that if I took a rest day, I would not be feeling better. I was careful.

I have had to epidurals and one back surgery. my surgeon stated years ago that I will definitely need surgery again. I disagree. I might. I might not. I will continue to be careful of my core and try and strengthen it.

I agree that back pain is the worst. every movement hurts. sneezing, coughing, laughing. etc.

but I refuse to allow my excuses to get the better of me. I will do until I cannot. then I will fix it or figure it out. but the only way I fail is when I quit. which will never happen.
I know you're a car guy Seth and in keeping with the content of this thread ... please don't laugh ...

My sweetheart is always taking health food crazes too far.

Now, it’s even affecting my driving.

She took the carb-orator off my car.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2023, 03:20 AM   #21
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I admire and share your philosophies. There are very, very few of us around I believe.
Old 8 March 2023, 04:48 AM   #22
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
I will tell you what I tell myself. Excuses are worthless. You either hit your goals, or you to do not. No one to blame but you. And I don't care how bad the problem/excuse is. It is still just an excuse. We tell them to ourselves to make us feel better.

FWIW, I have a ton of them. Just yesterday, I tweaked my back while working out. I have had major back injuries the last decade. It felt as if I did something really bad. Limped around all day. In a lot of pain. Still got my steps in last night. And I was still at the gym this morning. I simply did elliptical instead of resistance training. And then I did a lot of core work. I am still in a lot of pain.

But if I gain weight, my excuses mean nothing. If I do not hit my goals, excuses mean nothing. I either hit my goals, or I don't. I have zero patience my own excuses or anyone else's. If the goals are not important enough, then you don't hit them. If they are, you do. Simple as that. Not my rules. Life's rules.

In regard to Keto, it is a fad. It can certainly work. But the truth is that anything works, if you do it consistently for long enough.

Decide what you want. Make a plan to get there. Stick to it over time. And you will hit your goals. If you don't, you won't.

I do also echo what others said about low T. I am all for adding whatever necessary to hit your goals.
Buddy, please get off the elliptical for cardio. That is horrible for your back. I too suffer from some major flare ups with my lower back. I was told lay off the elliptical. When your in pain, stick to a bike or a long walk on the treadmill.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 05:34 AM   #23
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Buddy, please get off the elliptical for cardio. That is horrible for your back. I too suffer from some major flare ups with my lower back. I was told lay off the elliptical. When your in pain, stick to a bike or a long walk on the treadmill.
it is amazing how information is conflicting everywhere. I have seen tons or articles about elliptical being low impact.

that said, my surgery was many moons ago. and I have a very intimate relationship with my old elliptical. I have spent many many hours on it as I was under the impression it was good. before I got back into weights, me and that little girl spent a lot of time together.

I hope I am not wrong. but so far, it has done me well. I will definitely pay even closer attention though.

thanks brother.

Old 8 March 2023, 05:35 AM   #24
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it is amazing how information is conflicting everywhere. I have seen tons or articles about elliptical being low impact.

that said, my surgery was many moons ago. and I have a very intimate relationship with my old elliptical. I have spent many many hours on it as I was under the impression it was good. before I got back into weights, me and that little girl spent a lot of time together.

I hope I am not wrong. but so far, it has done me well. I will definitely pay even closer attention though.

thanks brother.
I've always been advised the same thing as you.
Old 8 March 2023, 05:54 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

thanks brother.
When I first got into the Paleo thing, a part of the concept was that humans evolved and developed in a certain way through the centuries and thousands of years, and what got us here is sort of a blueprint on how we can stay healthy. Obviously within reason.

So I sort of look at things through that lens when I try different things. How we evolved.

What exercises are better than others, diets etc. We obviously walked, and occasionally ran, and swam to some extent which one could say are our default movements. Hence sitting in chairs probably isn't, where squatting is. etc etc.

My understand of the problem with the elliptical compared to walking, is that people twisted more on the elliptical. And repeated flexion and twisting of the spine can cause degeneration and pain.

In other words, it's not a "natural" movement, hence some people have issues with it.

I'm guessing lots of people it may not affect, but if one has a history of back issues, I guess I'd probably stick to walking.

The whole point of both is really get the heart rate up, and work the muscles, and don't "pound" the knees. So personally I don't see any real advantage to an elliptical.
Old 8 March 2023, 05:35 AM   #26
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An elliptical can offer more back support than a treadmill in many cases, especially depending on your incline %.
Old 8 March 2023, 07:16 AM   #27
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
An elliptical can offer more back support than a treadmill in many cases, especially depending on your incline %.
Really, yikes, I guess I could be wrong. All these years I seem to aggravate my back problems with that machine. And, now on the treadmill for many years I am still aggravating my back. I cannot quit as I mentally need the release every day. It keeps me sane some cardio every day and then weights every second day.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2023, 07:50 AM   #28
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really, yikes, I guess I could be wrong. All these years I seem to aggravate my back problems with that machine. And, now on the treadmill for many years I am still aggravating my back. I cannot quit as I mentally need the release every day. It keeps me sane some cardio every day and then weights every second day.
Of course, every body is different, I wasn't trying to call you out as wrong, just sharing my personal experience and guidance I have received.
Old 8 March 2023, 07:52 AM   #29
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also, I am another of the rare camp who enjoys cardio. An early morning cardio session followed by 20 mins in the sauna makes for a great day.
Old 8 March 2023, 09:15 AM   #30
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
My ortho recommended I stay off the elliptical and treadmill. The treadmill still has impact and the elliptical imparts force in the wrong direction on the knee. He recommended a lower body arc trainer. There’s no impact, no twisting motion from arm bars, and the applied force is in the natural range of motion. I use one every day at the gym and have no pain in my knees or back.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote