The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 9 December 2006, 04:21 PM   #1
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Icon11 GMTII and SeaDweller Comparison

Hi All,

I finished my GMTII vs. SeaDweller Comparison. I have it posted at http://members.aol.com/sheldons4 . I would have posted it here but it was hard to include pictures as well as the other Rolex related items that I have.

I am still working on the photos (practice makes perfect) as well as some Dreamweaver tweaks that I am still learning.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sheldon
sheldonsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2006, 05:27 PM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Considering these are the two I could not decide between, I like this review! Thanks!

But I thought the Sea Dweller did not have a Cyclops because pressure at depth would cause it to come off?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2006, 07:53 PM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Excellent review Sheldon. Thanks for sharing it with us
Old 9 December 2006, 09:33 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Excellent review Sheldon.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2006, 10:03 PM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Great job!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2006, 10:04 PM   #6
AJC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Considering these are the two I could not decide between, I like this review! Thanks!

But I thought the Sea Dweller did not have a Cyclops because pressure at depth would cause it to come off?

Robert,

I've read as said in the review.

Aaron

-------------------------------------

Sheldon,

Great work

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2006, 03:21 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks for the excellent review, Sheldon!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2006, 04:07 AM   #8
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Great review. I'm a fan of both the GMT and the SD.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2006, 10:50 AM   #9
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Many thanks and...

Many thanks for the comments. I made some edits to the site (fixed my typos, clarified some sections that were still blurry) and added some more to the Heuer/John Glen watch story (my 15 seconds of fame in IW).

-Sheldon
Old 23 December 2006, 11:34 AM   #10
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Fantastic comparison.....

I am looking at the SD right now.

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 07:42 PM   #11
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
I have decided to buy the GMT 2, but your review is more than welcomed....
greenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I now own both of these fabulous time pieces. It was great to read the differences....

Thanks
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 01:41 AM   #13
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
What's a cyclops?
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 02:45 AM   #14
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
What's a cyclops?
The date magnifier located on the crystal of Date models. The SD is the only Date model without the cyclopse.
Member #471
Old 31 December 2006, 03:10 AM   #15
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Thanks.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 05:33 AM   #16
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I recently had the same dilemma (if you want to call it that) as I went in to buy a GMT II and ended up being unexpectedly drawn towards the SD. The two watches definitely have different characteristics, each equally as compelling. The predominant differences I was forced to choose from boiled down to:

GMT II:
Only 100m pressure rating
Thinner and lighter wearing
Smaller crown, different aesthetics and less likely to imprint on back of hand
Busier bezel and face. The extra bezel markings, hand and cyclops all add up to an overall busier 'look'. Could also be interpreted as more 'sophisticated', depends on perspective.
Thinner, shorter, less obtrusive clasp. Follows the form and thickness of the band moreso than the SD. Overall effect is the band seems 'dressier' and less utilitarian. Overall, it impresses me as less robust than my 14060.

SeaDweller:
Heavy, robust watch. Feels authoritative on the wrist.
Unparalleled pressure rating. There's some instinctual feeling of gratification knowing that this watch can put up with environments unchallenged by other watches.
Classic simplicity, clean face and dial. No cyclops combined with more spartan bezel marking makes for a less distracting and more intuitive watch to read.
Slightly smaller looking dial. Though smaller, the unfettered look has a crisp, clean quality of its own.
Larger, more bulky clasp. The boxy, high profile clasp is somewhat inelegant looking but easily forgiven knowing its purpose and function.

In the end, I ended up getting the GMT II. My reasoning was that it would make a better 'everyday' watch based on its ergonomics. The SD, however, still weighs heavily on my mind. I recently sold a 14060, primarily because of its lack of date. I do, however, kind of miss some of the qualities shared with the SD. Weight and feeling of robustness in particular. Funny how the mind works. Somehow I connect the cost with tank-like qualities as though the two should go hand-in-hand. I miss the heavier, 'bulletproof' quality of my 14060. Somehow I'm not getting that subliminal gratification with the GMT II. Combined with the busier, less instinctive reading quality (my eyes aren't what they used to be) the SD still weighs on my mind. For those debating between the two, it's a tough decision. In my case, I can still go the other direction as I have a 30 day exchange policy at my AD. I'm heading out there today and... who knows what I'll be coming back with. Either way, you can't go wrong. They're both great, just different.

Great review Didn't mean to steal any one's thunder with my thoughts. Even reading all the good info on the two watches, until you go out and try them out side by side, all the non-verbal appeal doesn't hit home. It's kind of like body language... Pictures and text only tell part of the story. It's great we have all the choices we do... now if I could only afford them...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2007, 08:26 PM   #17
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Thanks Sheldon. Great review.
You deserve a nice pix for that comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05737.JPG (75.8 KB, 2378 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 08:43 PM   #18
SDman

Watch: Sea Dweller
It was a cool review man...I am happy to say that I have best of both worlds.....
SDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2007, 09:10 PM   #19
davor
"TRF" Member

great review
davor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 02:04 AM   #20
AdamB

Just read your review, that is a really good, detailed review...thanks for taking the time.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 09:31 AM   #21
Nick Hacko
Banned

Dressing etiquette

The Seadweller is professional divers tool watch.
Wearing a Seadweller between 9-5 would make you look silly and strange, unless you wear your wetsuit and dive tanks to work too. Dressing etiquette: the more formal the occasion, the thinner the watch. In the most formal situations, a pocket watch - or no watch at all - should be worn. GMT II is smart but casual travellers watch,
or casual 'weekender'. It goes well with shirt and jeans but should never be worn with business suit (and the same apply to all variation of Submariner / Yachtmaster and Daytona models).
Nick Hacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2007, 08:58 PM   #22
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Nick, the execs in financial institutions, aerospace companies and government that I deal with on a daily basis have absolutely no problem wearing a watch the size of a Sea Dweller or a GMT with a suit. I'm aware of the "thin watch with a suit" guideline, but in this day and age I'd question its validity and I'm sure you would know that if fashion rules remained unchanged, only women would be wearing wrist watches and we blokes would have to rummage through our pockets whenever we wanted to know the time.

I don't believe there's any hard-and-fast rule in dressing with watches. In "Gentleman", fashion author Bernhard Roetzel acknowledges this lack of rule when he writes, "... flat, dainty watches look better worn with a dark suit, although many men put on big sports watches in order to create a deliberate contrast with the suit". The decision to go with or against bthe trend is an entirely individual choice. That said, I agree that a tux calls for a thin watch and that plastic and Super 150 simply do not mix.

On a side note, calling it "silly and strange" could understandably rub some of our members the wrong way, especially since not many of the forum members know you yet. I'd appreciate it if you to kindly dialled it back a bit.
Old 23 April 2007, 08:46 AM   #23
Nick Hacko
Banned

"silly, strange and inappropriate" are the exact words used daily by my clients to describe overwhelming feeling when introduced to Seadweller. Especially if they wear suit. 90% love the "superwaterproofness" of SD but
would eventually settle for thinner 16610 Sub or 16710 GMT II.
If you only talk to other SD owners your view may be different.
And funny enough, those who like macho watches find SD too small.
Old 23 April 2007, 10:03 AM   #24
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
In a case like this, there is much in the eye of the beholder. I've seen countless posts containing pics of very proud owners with very small wrists wearing HUMONGOUS watches. To my eye, it looks ridiculous but... with cultural differences, differences of opinion and tastes as they are, I do not presume to pass judgement. Some watches are way too busy for me as well, yet many are sold to happy customers. I, for instance, find many of Rolex's new offerings this year very distasteful but... time will tell if they are successful or not. I choose to vote with my dollars. You are certainly free to have your own opinion, as is everyone but... that's where the buck stops. I might smile and say, 'nice' when confronted with a carbuncle watch but I draw the line when it comes to telling them so. After all, what purpose does it serve, really? Nothing good can come of it. As usual, JHMO...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2007, 10:34 AM   #25
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hacko View Post
The Seadweller is professional divers tool watch.
Wearing a Seadweller between 9-5 would make you look silly and strange, unless you wear your wetsuit and dive tanks to work too. Dressing etiquette: the more formal the occasion, the thinner the watch. In the most formal situations, a pocket watch - or no watch at all - should be worn. GMT II is smart but casual travellers watch,
or casual 'weekender'. It goes well with shirt and jeans but should never be worn with business suit (and the same apply to all variation of Submariner / Yachtmaster and Daytona models).
I know you're in the business, Nick, but I think the "should never be worn" admonition is a bit strong. I have a Ted Baker black and white striped shirt with French cuffs that I wear with a business suit. My all black GMT-II goes perfectly with that look. With other shirt/suit combinations, I usually wear one of my TT DJs. With black tie, I strap on my YG DD. None of them are "thin" watches, certainly not as thin as my 1962 18K YG Corum dress watch. But since I got my Rollies, the Corum sits in the watch cabinet.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2007, 12:13 PM   #26
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
"silly, strange and inappropriate" are the exact words used daily by my clients to describe overwhelming feeling when introduced to Seadweller. Especially if they wear suit. 90% love the "superwaterproofness" of SD but
would eventually settle for thinner 16610 Sub or 16710 GMT II.
If you only talk to other SD owners your view may be different.
Well, Nick, if you do want to be a purist about it, you would know that prior to World War 1, the rule was that wristwatches were considered too delicate an item of apparel for men. If people wish to stick slavishly to fashion rules, they would not be wearing wrist watches at all and simply stick to pocket watches - they are in fact otherwise being inconsistent because they accept and reject the fluidity of fashion at the same time. Someone less charitable might call them hypocrites.

As for the size of the Sea Dweller, we have members here and in other forums who are members of special forces and other military units who like the SD just fine. It’s a matter of personal choice whether one chooses to listen to those who are actually macho, or those who simply want to look the part.
Old 23 April 2007, 12:15 PM   #27
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wearing a Seadweller between 9-5 would make you look silly and strange, unless you wear your wetsuit and dive tanks to work too.
Some narrow minded thinking there. I rock my SD everyday at the office.
Member #471
Old 23 April 2007, 01:13 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
"Those" who are they? Some of course, but all, I know this can't be so.

Jeff, I agree, I know one of the highest paid Q.C's. who wears his 1665 SD to the office every day, looks great, and he gets a lot of respect in his line of work, he wears (as he can afford to) some of the best business suits and clothing money can buy.
I personally find the SD comfortable with my business attire, never had anyone say a bad thing about it in those circumstances.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2007, 03:00 PM   #29
Nick Hacko
Banned

Does he wears divers flippers in court too?

he wears (as he can afford to) some of the best business suits and clothing money can buy

Money can buy most anything - what it cannot is good taste.
A Patek or Audemars - or even Jaeger LeCoultre would be far better / sophisticated choice for Q.C. then Seadweller.

Most Australian barristers wear Day-Date in 18K gold because this model is instantly recognized by their clients and colleagues. The President sends clear message: respect - my owner can afford me. This is the kind of barrister I would hire if I am desperate, not someone who wears Seadweller.
Old 23 April 2007, 03:25 PM   #30
trashboss

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Is this for real?
I wear my SD everyday and i usually wear a tie everyday too, your comments are ridicules SD can be worn with flip flops or a Tux and will comand respect while doing it!
Why the narrow mind? I do love my SD but i appreciate the entire Rolex line, i can find somthing special in all of them.

Great comparison by the way.
trashboss is offline   Reply With Quote