The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 8 January 2010, 03:17 AM   #1
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Need links to resize band

Hoping another local could assist or advise me. I live in the DFW metro in Texas and have recently inherited a very nice mens Rolex Tudor datejust. Problem is the band is too small. I was hoping to just find a couple of links to add about 1" (about three links) I looked up the local Rolex authorized dealers and contacted a few that told me my only option was to order a new band for around $800... YUK! Doesn't make alot of sense since the existing band is in great shape. I haven't called DGSE as they are not listed as authorized by Rolex. I contact Rolex USA in NY. gave them all the #'s and was quoted $61/link and they are in stock. GREAT!! Send me three. They can't do that. I have to ship the watch to them for service and evaluation first. So I finally called the local Dallas Rolex service center that NY provided. They quoted me $87 per link PLUS labor?!? Not to bad except they couldn't tell me how much as labor will vary based on the watches condition. I'm afraid they will charge $500 for adding three simple links.
Anyone have any other suggestions? If I can find the links I can easily do them myself. I'm also ok paying labor if the price of the links and labor were more reasonable.

Thanks all!
jnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Any Rolex Dealer with a watchmaker on staff would be able to order and install links.. They do it every day....all day..

It is true that the RSC does not sell parts separately.. they are not a parts house...

But I have walked into the one in Beverly Hills when it was open, and had a link installed. The link was 35 dollars for Stainless Steel, and they did not charge any labor..
Old 8 January 2010, 03:33 AM   #3
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

You can try Steve. He has good references stevemulholland3@aol.com on this site. He is located in FL.
You can do what I plan on doing and go into the Dallas RSC and see what they can do.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 05:57 AM   #4
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Your best bet is to simply walk in to the Dallas RSC and give them the watch so you know for sure how much the links are. I have never heard of a RSC charging for labor to have a link installed, as I personally walked in to the NYC RSC and thats the only way that they will sell it to you.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2010, 06:00 AM   #5
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
You can try Steve. He has good references stevemulholland3@aol.com on this site. He is located in FL.
You can do what I plan on doing and go into the Dallas RSC and see what they can do.
Yea, that's what I'm planning first. I'm hoping the quote I got wasn't $87 per link as that's $250+. I'm also hoping they will match the price of the NY(HQ) RSC price at least that was only $180 for all 3 links.
Worst case is I can get a cheap $29 knockoff band on fleabay, and the guy is also local. But my wife is saying "no".

I was hoping someone here locally may have experience with a local Rolex dealer that may have a few links laying around and would pop them on for a more reasonable price of like $25-$50 each or something.
Old 8 January 2010, 06:34 AM   #6
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
Worst case is I can get a cheap $29 knockoff band on fleabay, and the guy is also local. But my wife is saying "no".

I was hoping someone here locally may have experience with a local Rolex dealer that may have a few links laying around and would pop them on for a more reasonable price of like $25-$50 each or something.
LOl, my wife said the same thing about a NATO strap. I went into a local shop that sells pre-owned Rolex and they tried to sell me an aftermarket band.. They wanted $450 for it and I said your nuts.. I went to an AD down the street and they looked at me funny and wrote down Dallas RSC's phone number and told me to call them. I guess that is what happens when the watch is 41 years +. I called RSC Dallas and they don't want to tell you much. I had to drag info out of them. They finally told me that an equiv. band for my watch listed for 940 but would not even tell me if they had it in stock. Strange. I said I would like to know before I drive down and she said normally they do not sell right out but do trade in on service but they would not service my watch because of the age. Gotta love it. She did say it might help if I go down to the center. I told her I wanted to keep my band because it was part of the orig watch. There is another guy here that got the same band from NY RSC for 840 and got to keep his old band. Not looking forward to the downtown drive, but I figure i should find out my options. It is just nuts that I see the same band used going for more than a new one at the RSC.
Old 8 January 2010, 06:55 AM   #7
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
LOl, my wife said the same thing about a NATO strap. I went into a local shop that sells pre-owned Rolex and they tried to sell me an aftermarket band.. They wanted $450 for it and I said your nuts.. I went to an AD down the street and they looked at me funny and wrote down Dallas RSC's phone number and told me to call them. I guess that is what happens when the watch is 41 years +. I called RSC Dallas and they don't want to tell you much. I had to drag info out of them. They finally told me that an equiv. band for my watch listed for 940 but would not even tell me if they had it in stock. Strange. I said I would like to know before I drive down and she said normally they do not sell right out but do trade in on service but they would not service my watch because of the age. Gotta love it. She did say it might help if I go down to the center. I told her I wanted to keep my band because it was part of the orig watch. There is another guy here that got the same band from NY RSC for 840 and got to keep his old band. Not looking forward to the downtown drive, but I figure i should find out my options. It is just nuts that I see the same band used going for more than a new one at the RSC.
Odd they won't service your watch at a young 41. They serviced my wife's 62 year old watch last year. Cost was $560 to replace the mainspring and the seal. Surprised too they wouldn't tell you anything. They took my name and number and called me back in about an hour to tell me they had the links in stock and if that's all it needed they could have it done in 15 minutes while I wait. I am a little skeptical because they always want to "touch" your watches and my experiences have been there is ALWAYS something they need to replace. They won't even do what you want otherwise! I'm not looking to deal with that "stuff" right now.
Old 8 January 2010, 09:25 AM   #8
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

It would seem none of the local ADs I called this afternoon have a watchmaker. They all send them to the service center:( Guess that's why no one could refer me to one. I broke down and called DGSE and because of the model, they won't even look at the watch. Probably a good thing because they said my serial number and case numbers were fake
Old 8 January 2010, 09:58 AM   #9
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
It would seem none of the local ADs I called this afternoon have a watchmaker. They all send them to the service center:( Guess that's why no one could refer me to one. I broke down and called DGSE and because of the model, they won't even look at the watch. Probably a good thing because they said my serial number and case numbers were fake
Post pictures on the forum and folks can tell you if that is really true
Old 9 January 2010, 07:12 AM   #10
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Well the service center took care of it. Three links for $224. $45 is a required labor and cleaning fee they say they always charge. The links were only $55 each plus tax. Of course they said I needed $375 of additional work along with the usual service but they didn't insist on requiring it to add the links.
I was impressed!
Old 9 January 2010, 09:34 AM   #11
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

^^

I wonder if we passed each other in the center. I was just there.. I did not have the same luck as you however. I was not so happy with what they did.. Story to follow .. The guy was very nice; it was the way the watch tech gave him the watch back to show me something.