The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
Should pitbulls be extinct?

Yes sir.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,2968033.story
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
I agree with you, Henry. A common refrain is, "It's not the dog, it's the owner." Nonetheless, as long as there are irresponsible (if not outright unscrupulous) owners, these dogs should not be bred. To begin with, they have the most powerful bite per square inch of any breed in the canine world. I watch some of the animal cop shows on Animal Planet and am thoroughly disgusted at the number of illegal dogfighting operations in this country. I feel bad for the animals who are left scarred, bleeding and suffering as a result of their owner's greed and complete incapacity to care or feel empathy towards another living creature.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Ashley
"TRF" Member

No. They should not. If you do a research on pit bulls and my name, you will see a thread from April that pretty much divided the forum.
If you kill off pit bulls, kill off German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Boxers, and all other "mean-looking" dogs.
Ridiculous.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Oh, and I was mauled by a golden lab. Let's kill them all off too.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Ashley
"TRF" Member

And a tiger being kept as a pet just killed its owner. Let's kill tigers, and bears and elephants and wolves and lions because they are powerful animals.
Old 12 January 2010, 03:49 PM   #6
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
The breed is for fighting. It falls into a weapon category. They must be owned by a certified dangerous pet expert. No more trailor park breeding, These animals should be spayed & nuetered and fine those who don't.
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 04:07 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
No. They should not. If you do a research on pit bulls and my name, you will see a thread from April that pretty much divided the forum.
If you kill off pit bulls, kill off German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Boxers, and all other "mean-looking" dogs.
Ridiculous.
Quote:
Oh, and I was mauled by a golden lab. Let's kill them all off too.
Quote:
And a tiger being kept as a pet just killed its owner. Let's kill tigers, and bears and elephants and wolves and lions because they are powerful animals.
WOW!! You look beautiful when you're mad, Ashley!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 04:11 PM   #8
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
She's good lookin' when she ain't mad, JJ.

Nope. A Pit raised right is a loving, loyal animal.

It's the trash that fight them that need to be shot trying to escape.
pz93c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well thanks, JJ. I might need to stay away from this thread, I know it will get me in trouble.
Old 12 January 2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Lol-x
Facilitator

Remember we are trying to have a civil discussion about a topic here.

Don't get personal, don't get aggro, and don't disrespect another's opinion even if you believe it to be wrong.

Otherwise this thread will go off to the bin without further notice.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 04:28 PM   #11
Ashley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Remember we are trying to have a civil discussion about a topic here.

Don't get personal, don't get aggro, and don't disrespect another's opinion even if you believe it to be wrong.

Otherwise this thread will go off to the bin without further notice.
Cheers, Steve. I'll play nice!
Old 12 January 2010, 04:33 PM   #12
rsg
"TRF" Member

I've met two pitbulls in my life and they both are calm, loving, family pets.
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 06:27 PM   #13
1HotBoss70

Watch: "V" GMT IIc
I am not sure about pitbulls as a general breed...but any dog that attacks or mauls should be put down...regardless of breed...there is so much inbreeding and bad traits being exposed that any dog can become dangerous...

On that note just a few weekends ago, went to see a Rotti pup that I was considering to buy, and the mother who was a large German Rotti at 140# was the sweetest animal I have ever come across..she was so gentle and loving...was playful with me and a guest and was not over protective of her pup. She just wanted to be petted, hugged, loved like any living creature. She was just adorable. I do truly believe on how it was raised, and the inbred temperament of the animal.

Joe
1HotBoss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Nicko
Banned

Why don't we euthanize the stupid owners that train their dogs to be mean, fight and kill! Sorry if I offended any dogs making this statement.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 08:04 PM   #15
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

All terriers are killing machines...That's what they were bred for... to kill, your Jack Russels, Airdales even your West Highlands.
But where do you draw the line? In the UK, along with a lot of Europe, the American Pit Bull Terrier is already being fazed out as they have to be sterilized. Along with any Pit Bull type of dog, and this means if you have a large cross breed dog with a large head it can be classed as a Pit Bull type and destroyed.

Even if you destroy every Pit Bull, the half brains that have them as attack dogs will use some other large breed dog, and then start cross breeding them with the nastiest tempered dogs they can find.

Have a look at Cesar Millan's Pit Bulls, which were to be destroyed for being dangerous dogs, and you will see soft, gentle dogs that live alongside many other dogs of different breeds and sizes. Why because they get plenty of exercise and are treated like dogs by a responsible owner.
Old 12 January 2010, 08:06 PM   #16
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I worked for an animal rescue centre in my youth and we had more than our fair share of pitbull terriers in our care, some of who's fate was already sealed after they had already attacked a person or killed another dog.

One of them had killed a child yet for the short time it was with us it you'd have never guessed it was capable of such a thing.

We also, however, had labradors, border collies etc who were problem dog's (problem owners) and even a yorkshire terrier who had been given up because he wasn't able to be around children without nipping them.

Some people think that a dog's life is the equal of a human life, others don't.

Threads such as these are never resolved and usually end in a slanging match.

My instinct is to close this one down. Let's prove my instincts wrong.
Old 12 January 2010, 09:11 PM   #17
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
All of those animals are wild animals and not domesticated. Most wild animals have a natural fear of humans and will stay far away if given the chance. Wild dogs are more dangerous than a pack of wolves because dogs have had that fear of man bread out of them and will approach and attack humans without fear. I don't want to see any animal harmed and I don't want to see people attacked by animals that people have created/bread and made into a problem either.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Yes, or left in Zoo's.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 09:52 PM   #19
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
here we go.......ANY aggressive dog, regardless of breed, is most likely the result of a sour owner...HOWEVER, some breeds are much more unpredictable than others..I have been around dogs my entire life, and I am one of those people that DOES NOT put a value on a dog's life anywhere near that of a humans...If a dog goes after a human, then thats IT. put it down. that is how I see it. I have been around pits my whole life....never had a problem, BUT walking to school way back in the days of high school, I noticed a young fella using one as an intimidation factor...and lets just say, i felt more compelled to put the owner down than the dog...so its a case by case thing. There are a few pitbulls in my neighborhood, and they are awesome pups...i take my mini poodle out and they play like no other, BUT then there is a little shitzhui down the way that has TWICE come after my dog and after the second time (WAS NOT ON A LEASH BOTH TIMES) I felt anger towards the dog itself, but it was the OWNER that it didnt end well for.
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 10:01 PM   #20
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
I worked for an animal rescue centre in my youth and we had more than our fair share of pitbull terriers in our care, some of who's fate was already sealed after they had already attacked a person or killed another dog.

One of them had killed a child yet for the short time it was with us it you'd have never guessed it was capable of such a thing.

We also, however, had labradors, border collies etc who were problem dog's (problem owners) and even a yorkshire terrier who had been given up because he wasn't able to be around children without nipping them.

Some people think that a dog's life is the equal of a human life, others don't.

Threads such as these are never resolved and usually end in a slanging match.

My instinct is to close this one down. Let's prove my instincts wrong.
Agreed. I was about to post here, then realized the futility of it. Genetics vs. environment, why humans train dogs/other animals to fight, and the other issues you've raised. Maybe we should revisit the Michael Vick thread? Let's just forget it and move on...rolex anyone?
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 10:02 PM   #21
valentine
Banned

Quote:
Ridiculous.
calm down, sweetheart...I know its a touchy subject for you...but REMEMBER, just like tattoos, piercings, etc....some things just arent going to change as far as then being considered "okay"...there will always be conservatice people that are going to have a strong opinion on ANY topic...and we have to be OKAY with that...the first step in changing a stereotype is NOT to challenge those who oppose, but rather to SHOW them..but some people's minds cannot be changed..so we agree to disagree but we find SOME common ground and try not to make war over something silly... I KNOW there are people all over the world that disagree with what I do for a living..but regardless...I find common ground somewhere...and show them that I LOVE them as another human being, regardless...you know HOW I FEEL ABOUT YOU ASH, and you know Im behind you 100 percent..but dont let others opinions get you so riled up...they are entitled to that opinion. let them have that much...and maybe...just maybe one day a pitbull will come lick them in the face and they may say...'hey...know what? i still dont like em...but THAT ONE is okay"...just gotta hope for the best. i miss ya, ash...
Old 12 January 2010, 10:05 PM   #22
valentine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
Agreed. I was about to post here, then realized the futility of it. Genetics vs. environment, why humans train dogs/other animals to fight, and the other issues you've raised. Maybe we should revisit the Michael Vick thread? Let's just forget it and move on...rolex anyone?
well i am used to being offered a beer or drink, but sure, while you are giving away rolexes, ILL TAKE ONE! hope you are well, Dan..havent posted with ya in a while.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:08 PM   #23
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Justin! How ya doin down there in COLD COLD Glen Burnie? I just got an offer from my friends/associates in Bangkok...they will pay for me to fly to Bangkok, stay at their home, and help them catch up on backload of work for two weeks there...they'll throw in a beach trip as well.....now, how do I convince my wife to let me go?

ANYTHING to get out of this f....ing cold! I had a guy from Atlanta call me two days ago, they're FREEZING there too!
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 10:15 PM   #24
valentine
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesallie View Post
Justin! How ya doin down there in COLD COLD Glen Burnie? I just got an offer from my friends/associates in Bangkok...they will pay for me to fly to Bangkok, stay at their home, and help them catch up on backload of work for two weeks there...they'll throw in a beach trip as well.....now, how do I convince my wife to let me go?

ANYTHING to get out of this f....ing cold! I had a guy from Atlanta call me two days ago, they're FREEZING there too!
doing well, man. I just talked to my mentor up in minersville, and he is miserable too! it seems its all over the US now. as far as convincing the wife...do what I do. schedule a surprise vacation for you BOTH....in my case its a cruise this march, and then that makes up for the "independent" travel...i cant afford to take rach to ALL of the conventions...so i do something nice a couple times a year with her...and she understands.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:29 PM   #25
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
I say shoot the owners not the dogs. Just my

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 11:28 PM   #26
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
True story - last summer, one of my dad's neighbor's chihuahua bit a child, a 3 y/o girl in the face. That little girl is now scarred for life. Let's kill all chihuahuas.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 12:03 AM   #27
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Guilty by association? Puleeeez.

It's the same argument as the right to arm bears as I see it. (or is it right to bare my arms? lol )

Countless people have been bitten by chihuahuas and dachshunds, too.

Those are the only two breeds that have ever bitten me... the neighbor's dachshund bit me while I was riding my bike. I was scared of dogs until I was an adult because of that one dachshund.

As a pet owner (ironically my wife's family loves dachshunds), I have to agree with Ashley's point.

To be clear, I am someone that owns and respects animals, but wouldn't fit into the "animal lover" category at all.
Old 13 January 2010, 12:29 AM   #28
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
This thread is the same as POLITICS!
Should not be discussed at all, because of strong opinions on both sides!
Sorry.
Should be
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lock.jpg (212.8 KB, 91 views)
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 12:45 AM   #29
RebreatherDiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rotational
First,

I have a "dangerous breed", a Rottweiler.

The Pit Bull is the one dog that had a hard wire problem in it's breeding/psyche.

Pit Bulls are fine around people, even children.

The problem is when they are around other animals, they get into hunt/take down mode. And if people are around them, it is sometimes dangerous.

I equate it to sharks, you can swim with them just fine, but as soon as their is blood in the water........watch out.

There is a reason why these breeders use a Pit Bull for fighting......because they are breed for this!
Old 13 January 2010, 12:58 AM   #30
Arrgo
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few, yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Why don't we euthanize the stupid owners that train their dogs to be mean, fight and kill! Sorry if I offended any dogs making this statement.
A big +1 for that!

I'm not a huge lover of pit bulls, my breed of choice is German Shepards, but like ANY breed or mix, proper training is essential, from wee little breeds to the most agressive monster sized beasts, their training needs to be tailored to the breeds idiosyncrasies. All breeds have their own strengths and challanges, and if these are not taken into account, there can be, as we see in the news all the time, dire consequences. What makes this even sader is the fact that so many animals are needlessly destroyed because of poor training. I won't get in the dog fighting thing as that is whole other can of dog food, but even dogs that have been involved in that have been rehabilitated and have become wonderful gentle loving animals. It just take time and someone who cares.

I'll get off my soapbox now

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. - Steven Wright
Arrgo is offline   Reply With Quote