The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 22 March 2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Shangas

Watch: 1957 Ball RR watch
Among My Souveniers...Fountain Pens!

Shandy wanted me to show off my Parker '51's. But the Parker '51' is a rather boring pen. So I thought I'd show off those and then some, to make up for it.

The Parker '51's...

Box.

Open.

Pens :)

But what's this?

Could it be a...

Maybe...

Ta-daah!

OMFG THERE'Z ANUDDER WUN!!

And of course...there's more pens...

And more...

This photo represents the oldest things I own:

These are all in their 90s and 100s.
Shangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
WOW. Very nice. Thanks for sharing them.
Old 22 March 2010, 12:42 PM   #3
shandy
Banned

OK Shangas..
I am officially green with envy

I really love the diversity of your collection, you have something of everything!
In the picture with the Duofold (don't they write nicely!) is that a Wahl-Eversharp Skyline?
There is something about that pen..I know one day I will have one of those as well! How does it write?
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Shangas

Thanks, Skullring. Glad you like them.

Hi Shandy,

The pen is indeed a Parker Duofold, from 1928. It's a two-bander flattop button-filler in red permanite. The famous "Big Red".

The pen below it is an Eversharp Skyline of the 1940s. It writes very well. This particular one has a flexible medium nib.
Old 22 March 2010, 01:51 PM   #5
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
Thanks, Skullring. Glad you like them.

Hi Shandy,

The pen is indeed a Parker Duofold, from 1928. It's a two-bander flattop button-filler in red permanite. The famous "Big Red".

The pen below it is an Eversharp Skyline of the 1940s. It writes very well. This particular one has a flexible medium nib.
Love the big red! I have it's slimmer brother that is a couple of years older, the senior special!
Old 22 March 2010, 02:07 PM   #6
Shangas

That's cool. I'd love to see some of your pens, if you'd oblige me. Feel free to ask questions about the other pens in those photos.
Old 22 March 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
"~and then some;" my what a wonderful collection you have !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Shangas

Haha. Thanks! There is more, but this is the best stuff I have.
Old 22 March 2010, 02:35 PM   #9
erwin
-

Watch: SD
Amazing collection! Thanks for the stunning pics!
Old 22 March 2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Outstanding collection and quite diverse. Interesting pen/pocket watch. I'm jealous!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2010, 11:44 PM   #11
Shangas

Hi Numie,

1st Watch:

Ca. 1957 Ball-Record railroad chronometer pocket-watch. 21 jewels, 8 adjustments, 16-size. 10kt gold-filled case. Lever-set, crown-wind, 24-hour dial, micrometric regulator, etc, etc, etc...fully-functioning, serviced railroad watch.

The chain is a simple brass Albert chain. The pen attached to it is a ca. 1925 Wahl Eversharp 'Art Deco' 14kt gold-filled, lever-fill VP* fountain pen with a 'Greek Key' pattern on the cap and barrel.

2nd Watch:

This is a much humbler timepiece. An 1899 Waltham M1895. 7 jewels, 14 size, 14kt gold-filled case marked for 5 years. Stem-wind & set. Both watches keep very good time.

1st. pen in the last photo is my ca. 1914 Conklin crescent-filler. Below it is my nickel-plated dip-pen & pencil combination pen. The other pen is my ca. 1908 Mabie Todd & Co "Swan" eyedropper fountain pen.

All the pens & watches shown in these photos are in working condition and in daily use.

I know. I'm weird. I live and breathe history.

*VP = Vest Pocket. These pens were originally designed to be clipped to a double albert watch-chain and placed into a waistcoat pocket.
Old 23 March 2010, 12:41 AM   #12
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Nice collection, Shangas!
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 12:51 AM   #13
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
In my many years of running a high end art and antique auction house, during which I must have handled a zillion pocket watches and such, I have never seen a watch/pen combo. Now I have seen two - very cool!
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 01:05 AM   #14
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Hi Numie,

All the pens & watches shown in these photos are in working condition and in daily use.

Well done, my philosophy as well is that all my pens get daily use, no matter how old they are!

I know. I'm weird. I live and breathe history.

Not weird at all! If you know where you have come from you stand a much better chance at knowing where you are going..Without repeating the mistakes along the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numismatist View Post
In my many years of running a high end art and antique auction house, during which I must have handled a zillion pocket watches and such, I have never seen a watch/pen combo. Now I have seen two - very cool!
Now you have one of the most fascinating occupations in the world I think! If I did not do what I do for a living (and I am blessed in loving that!) then I would have loved to have worked in antiques!
Old 23 March 2010, 01:29 AM   #15
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Shangas, simply amazing....love the pictures of your pens and I too also love and collect pocket watches. The two pocket watch brands I collect are Hamilton and Illinois railroad watches!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 01:54 AM   #16
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Shangas, simply amazing....love the pictures of your pens and I too also love and collect pocket watches. The two pocket watch brands I collect are Hamilton and Illinois railroad watches!!!
Leo, you would have to collect the Illinois ones knowing where you live!
Would love to see some pocket watch/pen photo's from you as well!
Old 23 March 2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Leo, you would have to collect the Illinois ones knowing where you live!
Would love to see some pocket watch/pen photo's from you as well!
Ian, the Illinois brand was manufactured in Springfield(State Capital), Illinois. I guess I need to fire up the camera and take some pictures!!!

Old 23 March 2010, 08:59 AM   #18
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Ian, the Illinois brand was manufactured in Springfield(State Capital), Illinois. I guess I need to fire up the camera and take some pictures!!!
Absolutely Leo. I think it must be from watching all the westerns and casey jones when I was a kid in the UK and seeing the conductor looking at his watch! I love seeing them!
Old 23 March 2010, 09:21 AM   #19
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
Absolutely Leo. I think it must be from watching all the westerns and casey jones when I was a kid in the UK and seeing the conductor looking at his watch! I love seeing them!
I also have a family heirloom in my great grandfather's pocket watch bought about 1903. It's a 17 jewel hunters case Waltham with a lever set and hand carved porcelain dial. Unfortunately it resides in the bank safe deposit vault and will go to my son one day. It does need a little work because the lid will not close and stay closed.....

Old 23 March 2010, 11:29 AM   #20
Shangas

I just love pocket watches. I couldn't live without one. I gave up wearing a wristwatch ENTIRELY after I managed to save enough money to buy my own pocket watch and have it serviced. I'm very fortunate that I have two excellent watchmakers in town, plus a flea-market down the road that sells literally everything under the sun (INCLUDING the kitchen sink!)

I bought my first watch (the 1899 Waltham) as a 21st birthday present for myself, but what I really wanted was a railroad watch. I NEVER thought I'd ever get one; they're incredibly expensive, but rightly so, because they keep excellent time.

In the meantime, I just used my Waltham. I'm something of a time fanatic; if I go somewhere, I HAVE to be there on time, or earlier. This made me regulate my watch to such an extent that I got it keeping time to +/- a minute a week. Not bad for a low-grade 111-year-old watch.

But then this year, Great Father Time looked down upon his folorn subject and blessed him. I found a railroad watch at the flea-market for the ridiculously cheap price of $200. Okay, maybe not THAT cheap, but when you consider what RR watches sell for, that's still a good price.

By batting my eyelids at the lady at the flea-market and remembering my Ps & Qs, I managed to hack off some of the price and toddled off with a railroad watch which I paid $160 for. My dream had come true!

Of course, the watch isn't perfect; I'd never have been able to afford it if it was. The watch originally had blued steel hands, one of these (the minute hand) was replaced with a black one. The caseback is lightly scuffed, but it's barely noticable. The dial has a couple of hairline cracks, but again, barely noticable. The top of the watch is significantly brassed, but as this was probably a working railroad watch which was used every single day, that's to be expected.

I wear a pocket watch every single day. I just can't stand wristwatches, I find them too uncomfortable. When I was younger, I had a nasty habit of removing my wristwatch and putting it into my pocket, so around the age of 20, I finally made up my mind: "Since I always take off my wristwatch and put it in my pocket, I may as well GET a pocket watch!" So I bought a pocket watch, and an Albert chain (which was dirt cheap, $20 for an antique chain!) and I've been wearing a pocket watch ever since. If you don't see a watch-chain hanging out of one of my pockets, I don't have the time on me.

Some people would say: "Yeah but wearing a POCKET watch is like...SOOOO outdated!"

Pffft. Buddy you are talking to the KING of outdated, here. I still write with a steel dip-pen! One more thing isn't going to bother me. Plus, and I think you'd all agree, a pocket watch adds a nice bit of style and class to one's personal jewellery, on a level that a wristwatch just can't compare with. I've only ever recieved positive comments from people whenever they see my pocket watch.

Numie, here's a little FP/Watch history for you...

The pen you see is called a "ringtop" pen. These were manufactured from ca. 1900 until about 1935, after which, this style of pen (for men, at least) largely ceased.

Ringtop pens came in two sizes. Regular-sized pens with ringtops, instead of pocket-clips, which were used by ladies. They had chains or ribbons passed through the rings and the good ladywife hung the pen around her like a neckace.

The other ringtop fountain pen was significantly smaller, about 3-4 inches, capped. These were called "VP" models. VP = Vest Pocket. These were designed to be clipped to one half of a Double Albert watch-chain. Back when men still dressed appropriately, they wore a pocket watch and a DA chain. One half of the chain held the pocket watch, which went in one pocket of your waistcoat, the other half of the chain held the VP pen, which went into your other waistcoat pocket.

VP pens died out in the 1930s and 40s when fewer and fewer men were wearing Double Albert chains and pocket watches. The VP pen I have was made in the 1920s, when they were still pretty common.
Old 23 March 2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Lion
"TRF" Member

Shangas, thank for the information and history lesson.....I know I'm lucky because I live near a major metropolitan(Chicago)area and can find and pick up pocket watches to my hearts content. I do not work so I do not carry a pocket watch and besides.....just for me, I have wanted a Rolex watch for over 40 years and now that baby(GMT Pepsi)is staying put on my wrist!!!

Old 23 March 2010, 02:02 PM   #22
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Shangas, thank for the information and history lesson.....I know I'm lucky because I live near a major metropolitan(Chicago)area and can find and pick up pocket watches to my hearts content. I do not work so I do not carry a pocket watch and besides.....just for me, I have wanted a Rolex watch for over 40 years and now that baby(GMT Pepsi)is staying put on my wrist!!!
Boy oh boy Leo, what a way to enter Rolex Ownership! Ever since Magnum I have wanted one!
Old 23 March 2010, 02:14 PM   #23
Lion
"TRF" Member

I enjoyed watching that show back in the 80s and wishing I had his watch.....nowadays I find myself staring at peoples' wrists to see what kind of watch they wear!!!

Old 23 March 2010, 02:18 PM   #24
Shangas

The only way I'd carry a Rolex was if it was a pocket watch. Like this one:

A nice, art deco Rolex pocket watch.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:20 PM   #25
shandy
Banned

Shangas, I hope you have a nice waistcoat to wear so as to have somewhere suitible to place your lovely pocket watches

Not sure why but when I think of you now I think of you being similar to the Excellent Jermey Brett interpritation of Sherlock Holmes.
Old 23 March 2010, 02:37 PM   #26
Shangas

You wouldn't be too far wrong, I love Jeremy Brett's interpretation of Holmes as well! I'm a major Holmesaholic!!!

Unfortunately, no, I have no waistcoat (at the moment), but that hasn't stopped me from wearing pocket watches. I'm wearing my railroad watch right now.
Old 23 March 2010, 03:03 PM   #27
shandy
Banned

Quote:
You wouldn't be too far wrong, I love Jeremy Brett's interpretation of Holmes as well! I'm a major Holmesaholic!!!

Unfortunately, no, I have no waistcoat (at the moment), but that hasn't stopped me from wearing pocket watches. I'm wearing my railroad watch right now.

Ah Ha! Another Sherlockian
For me Jeremy is the definative Holmes. I remember meeting someone who worked on the show and he said that Jeremy's dedication to the role was astonishing and ultimately he and a lot of the cast and crew feel contributed to his demise.
Old 23 March 2010, 04:44 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

I think Rolex makes some wonderful pocket watches (or at least they did at one point of time)

There is an amazing one that I've seen which is like encased in a coin. Man that is cool but very expensive.

Shangus, I like that pocket watch of yours with the roman numerals

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2010, 04:53 PM   #29
Shangas

Thanks. It's a pretty one, isn't it? Pocket watches are so cool, but most people are too spineless to wear them.
Old 23 March 2010, 11:11 PM   #30
Lion
"TRF" Member

Shangas, even though Rolex has always made good watches...Hamilton and Illinois were known to make the finest railroad grade pocket watches and were bought and used by many. But I love your idea of owning and wearing a Rolex.....I wonder how much that one costs???