The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 May 2011, 05:17 AM   #1
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Help with a Rolex underwater/divers Submarinertype watch

I was wondering if someone can help identify this watch.
Recently my father passed away and this weekend we went to sort out his house and went through his stuff to figure out what goes where. My father was a bit of a character, he lived a bit, never really good with money, but he liked nice things, and lived pretty far beyond his means so he left me some bills. Among some of the things was a wooden box. Its something I remember as a kid growing up, he would put stuff in there wallet keys and also stuff that was a kind of momento. I found lots of corks from good wines with dates written on, some gambling chips from The Sands , a parking ticket from London England ? his car keys, passport, lots of European currency and amongst the stuff couple of watches. One is a 'Sin' brand kind of looks like a pilot watch, has the days in German, and there is a Rolex, or at least its printed Rolex on the dial. I did some research but the dial looks a bit wrong. There is a line of printing below the "200m / 660ft Submariner" on the dial which says superlite chnonometer and the dial hour 'spots' don't have metal around them. The fastener on the strap is a bit loose but looks like the real Rolex ones on google pics. The watch doesn't work, I have shaken it and it did not start. My co worker told me that you never wind a Rolex, he also told me its a fake because it doesn't have Rolex on the back but I am not sure I believe that. I didn't see any with that on Google, but the dial is wrong. The hands and spots are a bit sort of aged looking and the writing is white. The bottom of the dial says Swiss T 25. My other co worker who has an expensive watch told me you can get any kind of near perfect watch faked and that a real Submariner has a date and is an Oysterquartz ? . I want to try and go to the diamond district to get it checked out because its cool looking but quite heavy. Sorry for the bad pics, I know Rolex is in fifth avenue but I don't want to go there if its fake. Any help appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0559.jpg (44.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0552.jpg (34.9 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0555.jpg (23.9 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0557.jpg (27.8 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0554.jpg (28.9 KB, 434 views)
sm70911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 05:32 AM   #2
GoldToothCop
"TRF" Member

what does it say on the 3rd line from the top ie under the centre?
GoldToothCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 05:42 AM   #3
conrail
"TRF" Member

Looks like a meters-first 5512? Could you do detailed pics of the dial and # markings on the case at noon and 6pm? (you'd have to take the bracelet off, which, if you're not comfortable with, just leave it be for now).
Old 13 May 2011, 05:46 AM   #4
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
Looks like a meters-first 5512? Could you do detailed pics of the dial and # markings on the case at noon and 6pm? (you'd have to take the bracelet off, which, if you're not comfortable with, just leave it be for now).
Hey thanks for coming back to me. What are the # markings ? is that where it says Rolex. How do you take the strap off ?
Whats a meters first 5512, is that the deep water rating ?
Thanks
Old 13 May 2011, 05:48 AM   #5
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldToothCop View Post
what does it say on the 3rd line from the top ie under the centre?
Sorry i looked under a magnifier. Its not superlite, its actually says superlative chronometer. What does that mean ?
Thanks
Old 13 May 2011, 05:49 AM   #6
conrail
"TRF" Member

Well it would be the model # and the serial # of the watch stamped onto the case between the lugs (those things that stick out from the case and hold the bracelet on).

Its not terribly complex, just be careful not to scratch the watch. Just use a toothpick or something soft and push through one lug hole until the bar pops out, then slowly take it off the other side. Use great care not to lose the small piece. The endlinks will detach from the bracelet, btw. Here is a good thread on removing the bracelet on a watch that has lug holes, like yours does: http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=176449

5512 would be the reference number of the watch. Depth rating is actually as you said: 200m/600ft as it appears on the dial.

For now, get some full-centered shots of the dial! :)

Oh, and
Quote:
My co worker told me that you never wind a Rolex, he also told me its a fake because it doesn't have Rolex on the back but I am not sure I believe that. I didn't see any with that on Google, but the dial is wrong.
Your co-worker is wrong on both accounts. And I'm not sure what you mean by the dial being wrong? If this is what it appears to be, its an old watch, not a modern Rolex, so I wouldn't talk to any flashy modern-Rolex guys :)
Old 13 May 2011, 05:51 AM   #7
gansevoort
"TRF" Member

Take some better pictures , be careful in the diamond district ... If they want to buy it , just wait for the people here to give you some info.
You can wind the watch by hand.
gansevoort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 06:01 AM   #8
jdc
"TRF" Member

Looks very promising. Rolex will be able to authenticate it just take in and ask for a service estimate. See if you can get it working. Unscrew the winder (crown) - a few turns counter clockwise should make the crown pop out to the winding position, give it a few turns clockwise and the watch should start. 40 winds will keep it going for nearly two days.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 06:16 AM   #9
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Looks very promising. Rolex will be able to authenticate it just take in and ask for a service estimate. See if you can get it working. Unscrew the winder (crown) - a few turns counter clockwise should make the crown pop out to the winding position, give it a few turns clockwise and the watch should start. 40 winds will keep it going for nearly two days.
I'd exercise extreme caution if you decide to bring it in to Rolex. This may sound bizarre for someone new to Rolex/vintage Rolex, but if you hand it off and say "check it out for me, and if its legit, get it running like new," they will most likely start replacing parts that make that watch what it is. If you do bring it to a Rolex Service Center, make sure its really just for an estimate/authentication and that nothing will be touched yet.

It looks like you're in NY? There are a number of good vintage Rolex folks well-known to the forum and respected in NY, for example Andrew Shear of Sheartime comes to mind. I'm sure he'd be glad to take a look at it for you and point you in the right direction for getting it running.
Old 13 May 2011, 06:26 AM   #10
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd exercise extreme caution if you decide to bring it in to Rolex. This may sound bizarre for someone new to Rolex/vintage Rolex, but if you hand it off and say "check it out for me, and if its legit, get it running like new," they will most likely start replacing parts that make that watch what it is. If you do bring it to a Rolex Service Center, make sure its really just for an estimate/authentication and that nothing will be touched yet.

It looks like you're in NY? There are a number of good vintage Rolex folks well-known to the forum and respected in NY, for example Andrew Shear of Sheartime comes to mind. I'm sure he'd be glad to take a look at it for you and point you in the right direction for getting it running.
Good points. Just to be clear I was not suggesting for it to be serviced but to use Rolex to authenticate it through a service estimate.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 06:30 AM   #11
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Good points. Just to be clear I was not suggesting for it to be serviced but to use Rolex to authenticate it through a service estimate.
Right on - and I agree, not many better places to authenticate than Rolex itself Might be handy to know too, what Rolex thinks needs to be done to the movement to get it running again.
Old 13 May 2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Hello!
Sorry about your father passing away.

It looks very much to me that it is a reference 5512 Submariner.

You should try to wind it manually with the crown. It is an automatic wind movement, but it should be winded to start, not shaken. You have to unscrew the crown first to wind it.

The back of a genuine Submariner has no inscriptions on its back.

The inscription "Superlative chronometrer offcially certified" is usual in all Rolex dials
of their models which have passed their test as chronometres, as the model 5512 was.

You should take better, closer, clearer pictures to show our most knowledgeable fellow members here, to have their opinions.

Also, if you can take the bracelet off, you should find the serial number and the model reference (eg. 5512) between the case lugs.

I guess this can be a real Rolex, and will be a nice reminder of your father, and a very nice valuable watch to wear.

Best cordial regards, Abel.

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Duster
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss rolex sub date
Take the band off with small screwdriver or needle and tell us the numbers on
the watchcase both sides.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Take some better pictures, and IMHO DON'T DO ANYTHING until we can see some better pictures and can give you some advice. I would not go to the diamond district, I would not take it to Rolex, I WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING until we see some better pictures.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:00 AM   #15
Michael M.
Banned

Looks like a 4liner cosc Submariner ref.5512! Very nice! I advise you to keep it as is and not do anything till we see better pics!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:17 AM   #16
globalmedia33
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Looks fine to me.
“I THINK PERFECTION IS UGLY. SOMEWHERE IN THE THINGS HUMANS MAKE, I WANT TO SEE SCARS, FAILURE, DISORDER AND DISTORTION" - YOHJI YAMAMOTO
globalmedia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:23 AM   #17
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Why 2 threads?

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=176522

surely one is enough?
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:28 AM   #18
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
IF it is real DO NOT GET ANYTHING CHANGED!! If it needs servicing send it to Bob Ridley
Old 13 May 2011, 09:31 AM   #19
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
And instead of starting the same thread twice why not post better pics for more info, as many wise members have suggested?
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:34 AM   #20
bkandj2000

Watch: None specifically
"My co worker told me that you never wind a Rolex, he also told me its a fake because it doesn't have Rolex on the back..."

"My other co worker who has an expensive watch told me you can get any kind of near perfect watch faked and that a real Submariner has a date and is an Oysterquartz ? ."

Welcome to TRF. Best to you on your authenticity search. Let us know how it turns out!

In the meantime, I would suggest finding alternative sources to question about Rolex.

Blaine
bkandj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 09:39 AM   #21
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your help. I got really helpful input from here and another forum too. I found a paper and a service box. I guess my dad had it worked on at Rolex in New York back in 2001. I have no idea what the numbers mean on the paper and I could not get the strap off.
I took some more pics I think its a bit clearer.
I called up Rolex, they said they didn't make a model 5512 anyhow its a discontinued model. She told me the service price to make it work (yikes !) and they would replace dial and hands with me trading in my old dial ? This is because of the luminous substance. I understand from another forum this is wrong ?
I got offered some cash and or trade for around $2500 I would prefer not to sell my dads watch but its quite a lot of money for an older watch. I'm going to hit google and do some more research when i get home, in the meantime if I dont take it to Rolex NYC, can you give me an idea of who I would take it to in NY to be looked at ?
Thanks again, lots of knowledgeable people out here on the watch websites and I'm glad I didnt listen to some bad advice.
Thanks for all your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (204.8 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg reciept.jpg (117.7 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0563.jpg (103.3 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0569.jpg (88.2 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0566.jpg (72.7 KB, 379 views)
Old 13 May 2011, 09:47 AM   #22
Jason71
"TRF" Member

I will repeat. DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE. Do not try to remove the bracelet, do not sell it, do not do anything. The watch has been in your family for a long time, you can stand to take several days to decide the best course of action. Someone was trying to lowball you with a terrible offer such as that. It is most likely worth substantially more than an offer of $2,500.

It looks to be a very nice 5512. It needs to be serviced by Bob Ridley in Texas. Do not even think of replacing the dial/hands. That will substantially reduce the value of the watch.

Evidently your father did a "Bracelet trade-in" in 2001 and traded the original 9315 bracelet for a replacement 93150 bracelet. That really does not hurt the value, so that is OK. One concerning issue is the fact that the watch has shown the exact same time in all of your pictures. This makes one wonder if there is an issue with the movement. It might be costly to service.

My advice would be to spend the $80 shipping ($40 each way) to send it to Bob Ridley for a service estimate. He would likely charge a small fee for evaluation of the watch if you decline the service. It will likely be at least $1,000 to have it serviced. You can decline the service if you so choose, and have Bob send the watch back to you. At least you would know the issues, and you could sell it "as is".

In working condition, with the service box and papers, the watch is worth at least $4,500 IMHO.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 13 May 2011, 09:48 AM   #23
conrail
"TRF" Member

Are those markings in the 8-10 o'clock region on the watch smudges on the dial, reflections, or on the crystal?

First of all, DO NOT do as Rolex recommends. DO NOT replace the dial, hands, etc. DO NOT engage in any sales/trades until you've learned more about the 5512, reviewed the sales sections of all the forums you can find to see what these sell for, and talk to some respected vintage collectors and dealers. Without doing that someone might take you for a quick buck. Sorry for the bold/caps, but I cannot emphasize that enough :) Here and the Vintage Rolex Forum are going to be very good resources for you.

The 5512 is a relatively scarce (I know we can get into a debate about the scarcity) vintage model (naturally, hasn't been made in many years). Yours appears genuine and looks fantastic! I might have some question as to the potential of a re-lume there, but thats merely speculation re what looks like smudging; which, even if thats the case, it still looks great! The bezel insert is what they call fat-font, highly sought after!

To be honest, I'd take it to Andrew Shear and have him give it a look at and then go from there. I wouldn't touch anything except get the movement serviced. 99% of the value of vintage Rolexes, like yours, is in the dial and hands.
Old 13 May 2011, 09:48 AM   #24
conrail
"TRF" Member

Haha, Jason I just saw your post above. I think we're on the same page :)
Old 13 May 2011, 09:57 AM   #25
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are those markings in the 8-10 o'clock region on the watch smudges on the dial, reflections, or on the crystal?

First of all, DO NOT do as Rolex recommends. DO NOT replace the dial, hands, etc. DO NOT engage in any sales/trades until you've learned more about the 5512, reviewed the sales sections of all the forums you can find to see what these sell for, and talk to some respected vintage collectors and dealers. Without doing that someone might take you for a quick buck. Sorry for the bold/caps, but I cannot emphasize that enough :) Here and the Vintage Rolex Forum are going to be very good resources for you.

The 5512 is a relatively scarce (I know we can get into a debate about the scarcity) vintage model (naturally, hasn't been made in many years). Yours appears genuine and looks fantastic! I might have some question as to the potential of a re-lume there, but thats merely speculation re what looks like smudging; which, even if thats the case, it still looks great! The bezel insert is what they call fat-font, highly sought after!

To be honest, I'd take it to Andrew Shear and have him give it a look at and then go from there. I wouldn't touch anything except get the movement serviced. 99% of the value of vintage Rolexes, like yours, is in the dial and hands.
Great minds think alike

It seems as if the tritium is starting to "flake" a bit on the minute hand. It might be in need of a lume stabilization. I agree, Andrew Shear might be a good place to start, but ultimately I believe it needs to go to Bob for a spa treatment.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 13 May 2011, 09:57 AM   #26
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
This is FASCINATING!! PLEASE LISTEN TO THE MEMBERS HERE AND DO NOT DO ANYTHING HASTY!! Bob Ridley is your person of contact...KEEP IT AS FAR AWAY FROM ROLEX NYC AS POSSIBLE!!
Old 13 May 2011, 10:03 AM   #27
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
Great minds think alike

It seems as if the tritium is starting to "flake" a bit on the minute hand. It might be in need of a lume stabilization. I agree, Andrew Shear might be a good place to start, but ultimately I believe it needs to go to Bob for a spa treatment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqllc View Post
This is FASCINATING!! PLEASE LISTEN TO THE MEMBERS HERE AND DO NOT DO ANYTHING HASTY!! Bob Ridley is your person of contact...KEEP IT AS FAR AWAY FROM ROLEX NYC AS POSSIBLE!!
Right on re Bob Ridley! He's your man if you want any work done to it OP
Old 13 May 2011, 10:03 AM   #28
etp095
"TRF" Member

That's a great watch your dad had there,take some advice from the posts above,really good advice.
pepsi gmt for dad(D)
polar expy II(z)
1675 gmt circa 68'
ladies datejust on jubilee for mom (z)
sea dweller16600(M)
SS Sub-C(g)
Omega Planet Ocean,45.5 on mesh(2500D)
etp095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2011, 10:08 AM   #29
sm70911
"TRF" Member

Hey thanks so much for the advice. I think the smudging is actually because the glass of the watch has some marks. I checked out Shear-time, pretty amazing stuff. The guy seems to have some watches that look like my dads. I guess the old Rolex is pretty popular. I will check the vintage Rolex forum tonight.
Do the numbers on the Rolex paper mean something ? My wife says maybe its the serial number ?
Old 13 May 2011, 10:10 AM   #30
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I would not do anything to this watch if it was mine. If you are thinking of selling it IMHO you will net top dollar the way it is in as found condition. Not to give a price but I think $5-$9,000 is the range on similar to yours. If you are going to keep the watch and it is broken and needs repair there are several competent watchmakers with parts accounts in NYC you could go to. My advice is to deal with the watchmaker and avoid all middle men.Tell him exactly what you want done and what not to do. If it is not broken I would not touch the watch as you have everything to loose and not much to gain.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote