The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 December 2011, 12:11 AM   #1
CPAWatchFan
"TRF" Member

Icon10 How much of a discount have you gotten from a Rolex AD

I have made the decision to buy my first Rolex.
My mind is set on the Sub 116610.
I can't stand over paying for things.
What kind of discount can I aim for?
CPAWatchFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 12:21 AM   #2
KJM11379
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling Chrono
Here in NJ we are getting between 5-10% on most models. Less on the SS sport models as they are so popular this time of year in the USA. If you have a good relationship with an AD and have made purchases in the past of either watches or jewelry you may be able to squeeze more, I got 20% off a GMT II Ceramic in mid 2009 and paid no tax as I had it shipped out of state, so I really saved 27%. I was in my AD last week and was offered 10% off a SS sub, next guy that came in after me while I was looking at earrings for the wife was offered no discount, he bought it right then. All about relationships I guess...
KJM11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 01:13 AM   #3
matt4hand
Banned

Watch: Tramp
My 3 local AD's in Atlanta are telling me that there is no more discounting on Sport models. That being said, I know several people who have had discounts from 5-10% in the last 6 weeks in other parts of the country.

Your best bet it to buy one from one of the reputable sellers on here. You will get a discount, no sales tax and you can have the watch the next day.
matt4hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 01:16 AM   #4
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
None from an AD, I bought here
Old 12 December 2011, 01:57 AM   #5
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
First purchase of anything from the only AD store (they have 3 locations) in my little big city - 20% off a YG DDII.

I could've gotten a 25% discount with TRF trusted sellers here, but I wanted the AD experience, and for the amount of money I was spending, I wanted everything to be absolutely authentic and leave nothing to chance.

I had spoken to some members who received "BNIB" watches form Gray Dealers here who had other people's names on the warranty cards - that really turned me off. Also, when I was really close to using a Gray, I found out some of the AD's listed on the warranty cards either had their names misspelled or had locations not listed as business sites of the AD's. That sealed the deal for me.

Some on here are very comfortable with Grays. I am not, and would rather pay a few thousand more to make sure everything is absolutely authentic, and get the AD experience.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 02:04 AM   #6
SubmarinerMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I got my new Explorer II 216570 for £130 of list price from my AD. No to bad for a new model.
Old 12 December 2011, 02:27 AM   #7
Watch ME!
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Interesting info on the deals/discounts... I've been looking a long time at various Rolex models at many, MANY ADs here in the Lower Penninsula of Michigan. As I've finally become serious about purchasing within the next 1-3 months I started shopping.

I've known for a while now that I want the 116610LN so by starting shopping I mean that I've started shopping for an AD that I like, trust, and feel comfortable with. I finally found that AD after visiting many all across lower Michigan (and some of them that were around a few years ago are no longer ADs)!!!!

However, even while shopping around for ADs, all of them I've been too have pretty much been the same price for the LN ($8,000). Some have offered 5% off and then charge sales tax (6% here in Michigan) while others are $8,000 essentially out-the-door, no sales tax [which is what the AD I've come to like is offering me].

I've always been told that Rolex, similar to someone like Apple, sets strict price controls on their sales and from what I've found... it seems to be true.

Also, similar to JustABreathAway mentioned above, I want to be absolutely sure that EVERYTHING is AUTHENTIC and, especially for my FIRST Rolex, I want that experience to be with an AD.
Watch ME! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 03:18 AM   #8
Grapeescape
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT II C
Just bought a new GMT II c in Ontario from AD. They are offering 20% off all SS models and 25% off all gold models if paying cash less 2% if on credit. I tried to get more of a discount but was told Rolex would not allow it period.
Grapeescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 03:59 AM   #9
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABreathAway View Post
I had spoken to some members who received "BNIB" watches form Gray Dealers here who had other people's names on the warranty cards - that really turned me off. Also, when I was really close to using a Gray, I found out some of the AD's listed on the warranty cards either had their names misspelled or had locations not listed as business sites of the AD's. That sealed the deal for me.
I know of one "trusted" seller here who recently had a $10k watch listed as BNIB but when I enquired about the provenance he told me it had at least one previous owner. He had it listed for more than 2 local ADs offered me the same watch truly BNIB with full manufacture warranty. When I pointed out his listing was not entirely honest he got pretty nasty and started indignantly banging on about his reputation. IMHO trust is something you not only earn but must maintain, especially when so many members here direct newcomers to the TRF trusted sellers. Anyway, looks like some poor sap bought a misrepresented, overpriced watch - hope they know what they are getting.

Not all trusted sellers will be pulling tricks like this but in my experience, many ADs will get very close to grey market prices or even beat them if you ask nicely and you don't need to worry about people massaging the truth.

EDIT: 20% on a Rolex is possible in my experience but not every AD will do it.
dmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:06 AM   #10
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the markets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacintyre View Post
I know of one "trusted" seller here who recently had a $10k watch listed as BNIB but when I enquired about the provenance he told me it had at least one previous owner. He had it listed for more than 2 local ADs offered me the same watch truly BNIB with full manufacture warranty. When I pointed out his listing was not entirely honest he got pretty nasty
Interesting, care to tell us who this seller is.? Or perhaps the trusted seller will see this and tell his side of the story.
126334 DJ41 in blue, fluted, on jubilee
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126621 YM Chocolate dial Root Beer
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
126711CHNR GMT II Root Beer
bgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:07 AM   #11
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

never get any discount for SS sport models
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:16 AM   #12
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriz View Post
Interesting, care to tell us who this seller is?
I'm still debating whether it's worth the hassle to name and shame or just move on. Put it this way: I wouldn't ever buy from this guy and I would be sure to ask many questions of other trusted sellers before going down that route. Some are conduits for ADs who are prohibited from selling online and are selling BNIB but others seem to be buying mint preowned or shop soiled and reselling as new.
Old 12 December 2011, 04:16 AM   #13
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlt730512 View Post
never get any discount for SS sport models
Not true. 20% in my experience if you ask nicely and at the right time of year.
Old 12 December 2011, 04:16 AM   #14
slownsx
"TRF" Member

Local AD told me 0 discount on SS models. TT and gold sports models can be discounted.
slownsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:19 AM   #15
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
depends where you live, if you try in big city like NYC, DC, or others. mostly likely no.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:21 AM   #16
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlt730512 View Post
depends where you live, if you try in big city like NYC, DC, or others. mostly likely no.
Yes, I should have added it depends on the dealer too.
Old 12 December 2011, 04:22 AM   #17
bgriz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the markets
Quote:
I'm still debating whether it's worth the hassle to name and shame or just move on. Put it this way: I wouldn't ever buy from this guy and I would be sure to ask many questions of other trusted sellers before going down that route. Some are conduits for ADs who are prohibited from selling online and are selling BNIB but others seem to be buying mint preowned or shop soiled and reselling as new.
Bnib is bnib never owned or worn by anyone....Lnib sounds more like this watch you are referring to. Could it have been an honest typo by the seller, especially given that he gave you honest info about previous owners when you inquired? It would be quite obvious to a buyer if there was a previous owner if you're getting the warranty paperwork and it has someone elses name on it.
That's why I wonder if it could have been an honest mistake on the listing.
126334 DJ41 in blue, fluted, on jubilee
116509 Daytona WG Panda
114060 Sub no date
126621 YM Chocolate dial Root Beer
126710BLNR Batman
126613LB Bluesy
126711CHNR GMT II Root Beer
bgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:31 AM   #18
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
The 20% on my model from the AD was, I believe, due to it's precious metal nature.

From what I've read, the SS sport models rarely get much of a discount, if any, from AD's.

On the topic of Grays, it looks like I'm not the only one to come across 'issues'. The Gray whose work I looked into has a sterling reputation on this forum. Also, his customer with a different person's name on the Warranty Card and incorrect AD location THOUGHT he was purchasing a BNIB watch.

Like I said, saving a thousand or a few isn't to be scoffed at, but in comparison to how much these watches cost, I want everything authentic.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:34 AM   #19
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgriz View Post
Bnib is bnib never owned or worn by anyone....Lnib sounds more like this watch you are referring to. Could it have been an honest typo by the seller, especially given that he gave you honest info about previous owners when you inquired? It would be quite obvious to a buyer if there was a previous owner if you're getting the warranty paperwork and it has someone elses name on it.
That's why I wonder if it could have been an honest mistake on the listing.
Well, that's why I didn't name him. IMHO it was misleading (described as BNIB in several places) and only he knows if it was deliberate or not. In any event, I got a better deal brand new from an authorized dealer so it's not worth the hassle to get into a debate. I guess I am saying "Caveat Emptor", even with trusted sellers. Grey market doesn't necessarily mean cheaper in this tight economy. Over the past year or so I have found ADs to be be very competitive on price, equal to or better than grey.
Old 12 December 2011, 04:47 AM   #20
gqllc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Bezel SubC
Quote:
Well, that's why I didn't name him. IMHO it was misleading (described as BNIB in several places) and only he knows if it was deliberate or not. In any event, I got a better deal brand new from an authorized dealer so it's not worth the hassle to get into a debate. I guess I am saying "Caveat Emptor", even with trusted sellers. Grey market doesn't necessarily mean cheaper in this tight economy. Over the past year or so I have found ADs to be be very competitive on price, equal to or better than grey.
Hmmm....grey market or trusted sellers on TRF are "resellers"...I would list an item BNIB IF it has never been worn and all or most all of the plastic is still on the watch. I would also sell it BNIB even if the warranty paper was filled out...The watch is still BNIB with paper filled out or not from a "reseller". The AD's are the ones that get the blank warranty papers. Some resellers get blank and some don't depending on their sources.
Old 12 December 2011, 04:51 AM   #21
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqllc View Post
Hmmm....grey market or trusted sellers on TRF are "resellers"...I would list an item BNIB IF it has never been worn and all or most all of the plastic is still on the watch. I would also sell it BNIB even if the warranty paper was filled out...The watch is still BNIB with paper filled out or not from a "reseller". The AD's are the ones that get the blank warranty papers. Some resellers get blank and some don't depending on their sources.
BNIB: Brand new in box.
LNIB: Like new in box.

Pre owned cannot be BNIB by my way of reckoning but it can be LNIB. Maybe I am wrong but that's what I expect when I see those terms.
Old 12 December 2011, 05:05 AM   #22
Kanger
Banned

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
BNIB: Brand new in box.
LNIB: Like new in box.

Pre owned cannot be BNIB by my way of reckoning but it can be LNIB. Maybe I am wrong but that's what I expect when I see those terms.
Agreed. But what if the seller you are talking about has this situation:

The watch has all plastics on just like a brand new watch, but the warranty card has another person's name on it? Say Bob was the first person to own the watch, and it says "Bob" on the warranty card. Bob sells the watch to Joe, Joe sells the watch to Ann, Ann sells the watch to the TRF seller. At this point, the watch still has all plastics, but the warranty card clearly still says "Bob."

What do you consider the watch? LNIB or BNIB. In my opinion, the watch is still BNIB because of full plastics and that no one wore it. Yes it switched hands a lot, but it is still BNIB.
Kanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 05:25 AM   #23
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanger View Post
Agreed. But what if the seller you are talking about has this situation:

The watch has all plastics on just like a brand new watch, but the warranty card has another person's name on it? Say Bob was the first person to own the watch, and it says "Bob" on the warranty card. Bob sells the watch to Joe, Joe sells the watch to Ann, Ann sells the watch to the TRF seller. At this point, the watch still has all plastics, but the warranty card clearly still says "Bob."

What do you consider the watch? LNIB or BNIB. In my opinion, the watch is still BNIB because of full plastics and that no one wore it. Yes it switched hands a lot, but it is still BNIB.
How does the current seller know the watch has not been worn? The truth is they cannot be absolutely sure of the history if they buy it from a previous owner. Plenty of people leave some or all of the stickers on a watch when wearing it. Some people do that because they are not sure they are going to keep it, others believe that it will preserve the condition of the watch. I for one have worn watches and not known I left some stickers on it

To me, brand new means brand new, i.e. never been owned. I see similar opinions / discussions on various forums, not just watch ones. Once the item has passed from the retailer to the first owner it is not brand new IMHO. It might be mint, flawless, like new, etc but it is not brand new and should not be described as such. Anyway, it's getting a bit off the OPs topic now. All I am saying is that it's worth negotiating with ADs and not every grey market offering is the better option for a variety of reasons stated above.

In my experience all the purchases I have made from ADs went to plan for the same or a little more outlay whilst several grey market purchases from reputable sellers had some kind of unexpected surprise. Usually there is a reason something is cheaper, benign and disclosed or otherwise.
Old 12 December 2011, 05:31 AM   #24
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

I should add that my Reverso came back from a factory service after a few years of wear complete with stickers and new band, looking like brand new. In it's box with papers and covered in factory plastic the average person would have a hard time knowing that it was not brand new. That's another reason why LNIB is an important distinction from BNIB.
Old 12 December 2011, 05:40 AM   #25
Transcon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/126710
I went through the same delima when I was looking at both the 16710/116710 and deciding between the two for my first Rolex purchase. Lucky for me I live in Orlando and was able to meet FTF with DavidSW to see both models he had for sale. Great guy, super honest, no bullshit, but in the end I wound making the decision to purchase my 116710 brand new from a local AD.

As I look back on it now I could have saved in the area of $800-$1000 by purchasing from David and have wondered if I should have gone that route. By no means would I have any less of a watch and I'd have more money left in my pocket for my next purchase. I guess the whole decision to me came down to the "experience" of my first Rolex purchase and how I wanted to be the only named person on the watch. Does it make any difference in the feel or function of the watch? No. It was just more of a personal preference.

Now that I am recovering from the first purchase I am already looking forward to the next one (thanks to TRF I too have become addicted) Seeming as I'm looking for a 1675 I know that I will be going through one of the trusted sellers or members here on the board. Even if the watch I was considering was still a current production model I would have absolutely no issues buying through DavidSW or any of the other trusted sellers.
Transcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 09:10 AM   #26
blama215
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUB C 116610LN
I bought my subc right when it came out so I consider myself lucky enough to get just the sales tax taken off. When I bought my datejust I got 10% plus paid no sales tax. both were bought from AD.

ROLEX 116610LN
SMP 2254.50.00
ROLEX DateJust 16234
Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.02.001
Aqua Terra 25773000 (wifes)
Breitling A1736006
blama215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 12:03 PM   #27
Pntblnk
"TRF" Member

Just picked up a few from my AD and got a volume discount

SS Daytona 10% and no tax
SS Sub C 15% off and no tax
SS Explorer II 15% of and no tax

Felt like he took pretty darn good care of me.
Pntblnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 12:44 PM   #28
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
I got a date just for $5100 no tax (shipped out of state) and 0% financing for a year. If I did not go with the financing I would have did better prob $4800.. But that was a date just 116200 and it was b4 the last price increase from a dealer 1 hour north of manhattan in ny..
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 12:51 PM   #29
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
I my good sire call shananagans
Old 12 December 2011, 01:18 PM   #30
COBill

One out of state dealer offered 8% on a TT Sub Date c and 5% on a SS GMT IIc.

My local ADs offered 0 except for one running a "$100 off purchases over $500" store wide sale that applies.
COBill is offline   Reply With Quote