The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2012, 08:58 AM   #1
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are NICE!
Liquidmetal vs ceramic

Hey guys, is Liquidmetal and the ceramic on the new PO Cal. 8500 the same thing?

Or can you only get Liquidmetal in those limited addition watches?

Thanks.
sunshine9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 10:06 AM   #2
baldyspoon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Not to sure on this one but I know the new titanium model with liqiudmetal is not a limited edition but in uk will retail at £4900, this is the new bond watch and will feature in skyfall and a limited edition is due in november when film is released.
baldyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 12:17 PM   #3
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
I am pretty sure they are the same LiquidMetal technology. Although the bezel on the Limited was glossy and I noticed the new PO's seem more matte.
Old 21 January 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

No, the LiquidMetal bezel on the cal. 2500 is not the same as the black ceramic bezels on the cal. 8500 Planet Ocean and new SMP 300m.

LiquidMetal refers to the metal that fills in the numerals, not the ceramic itself. LiquidMetal can be found on the new Titanium cal. 8500/9300 Planet Oceans, but the numerals on the steel models and SMP 300s are made from chromium nitride.

Hope this helps

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 01:23 PM   #5
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
Thanks for the info. I guess that explains why they look different. Too bad Omega didn't use LiquidMetal tech on the steel versions too. I prefer the orange bezel anyways :)
Old 21 January 2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760/116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
No, the LiquidMetal bezel on the cal. 2500 is not the same as the black ceramic bezels on the cal. 8500 Planet Ocean and new SMP 300m.

LiquidMetal refers to the metal that fills in the numerals, not the ceramic itself. LiquidMetal can be found on the new Titanium cal. 8500/9300 Planet Oceans, but the numerals on the steel models and SMP 300s are made from chromium nitride.

Hope this helps

Chris
So much knowledge you have, Chris.
Langleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
LeOnfromtheblock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post

Hope this helps

Chris
The force is strong with this one...
LeOnfromtheblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
To bad the 8500 PO has a grayish colored bezel.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
jmsrolls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
I too was disappointed at the grayish bezel on the new PO but the case thickness was the deal killer for me.

There has been much confusion regarding use of the term "Liquidmetal" and Chris explained it well. Liquidmetal is the alloy used for the markers/numbers of the bezel, first in the cal 2500 PO LE and now in the cal 8500 Ti non-LE model. The bezel material is ceramic containing ziconium dioxide.

The dial of the cal 2500 PO LE is also ceramic. Here is the info contained in the Certificate of Authenticity that came with my PO LM LE:

Omega capitalized upon the ceramic watch technology first developed by its sister company Rado. The design and durability of the Omega ceramic bezel has proven to be superior to the Rolex bezel.

Fr. John†
jmsrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2012, 11:51 PM   #10
rob541
"TRF" Member

Grayish bezel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
I think the new bezel looks better. It looks like a faded, almost vintage bezel.

I love the look of a watch with lots of patina and aging. I am not so sure these new materials will age like the old ones. I think the grayish bezel keeps it from looking too modern, if that makes sense. It's the same reason I don't care for the liquid metal version. It is too shiny for me. I like the matted look of this one.

And the bezel is one of the things I stare at when I look at this watch. It is a huge improvement over the old, to me.

Rob
rob541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 01:36 AM   #11
Turkeyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob541 View Post
I think the new bezel looks better. It looks like a faded, almost vintage bezel.

I love the look of a watch with lots of patina and aging. I am not so sure these new materials will age like the old ones. I think the grayish bezel keeps it from looking too modern, if that makes sense. It's the same reason I don't care for the liquid metal version. It is too shiny for me. I like the matted look of this one.

And the bezel is one of the things I stare at when I look at this watch. It is a huge improvement over the old, to me.

Rob
Have to disagree here.........although the new caliber 8500 PO is technologically a way better watch (and great looking too) than the caliber 2500, the ceramic bezel is a big problem for me. It just looks so unfinished and washed out compared to the rest of this beautifully designed and detailed watch.................besides price, its the main reason I bought the caliber 2500..............it just looked so much better to me than the new one.

Anyway, to each their own and if we all liked the same thing, we'd all be wearing the same watch!!!!!! For me, at least, the black bezel matches the dial perfectly on the caliber 2500 PO XL below. The washed out ceramic bezel on the new PO just doesn't seem to work...distracting I guess is the best way to describe it.Why they didn't use the same ceramic bezel as is on the 42mm PO LE from last year is beyond me. Anyway............
Attached Images
File Type: png 22005300-20-1.png (148.2 KB, 295 views)
Turkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 08:21 PM   #12
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyboy View Post
Why they didn't use the same ceramic bezel as is on the 42mm PO LE from last year is beyond me. Anyway............
I for one am quite happy that Omega are using the 'washed out' black on the new model and have only produced the ceramic bezel on the PO 8500 Ti and the PO LM LE.

I have the PO LM LE
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2012, 08:47 PM   #13
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are NICE!
To be honest, the matte, charcoal kind of color of the new POs quite appeal to me.
sunshine9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 06:29 AM   #14
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine9393 View Post
To be honest, the matte, charcoal kind of color of the new POs quite appeal to me.
Yup I quite like it too but lets see how it holds up to a bit of wear & tear - that's all I'm saying.

The ceramic bezel on the PO LM LE is tough as old boots. I've had the odd time where a slight smack against the door etc has caused me a bit of worry but - nope - not the slightest mark.

It's a modern day miracle...
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 10:30 AM   #15
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeOnfromtheblock View Post
The force is strong with this one...
That is hilarious.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760/116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine9393 View Post
Me too.

Not as much as the new orange though.
Langleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 12:15 PM   #17
rob541
"TRF" Member

It got me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langleyz View Post
Me too.

Not as much as the new orange though.
I only wanted to see the new 8500s. When I put it on, the matte bezel and its re-scaled proportions of the lines and the applied satin-looking orange numerals hit me in all the right places. It made the old bezel look wonkie and the new silver applied numerals (as opposed to the old white painted ones) look too shiny. The minute markers are faceted sharper, making them shinier and the matte finish of the bezel balances it out, keeping it from being too shiny. It keeps it more tool-like, to me.

I never thought I would like the orange/matte bezel as much as I did - but I ended up buying it right then and there.

Rob
rob541 is offline   Reply With Quote