The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
kymwatchlog
Banned

Quick set date on GMTIIc does not change at 12

You know the way we set the date on the GMT is to make the hour-hand circle quickly around and the date jumps at the 2nd "12".

At first it is ok but last week, I noticed something was amiss when the date got "jammed" at 12 and only manage to change over at around 2 oclock.

Is this a serious issue? Can the watch guy rectify it easity?

Thanks!
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Pull crown and send it in.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 04:10 PM   #3
kymwatchlog
Banned

dammit i did not wear her today as i noticed she behaved like she was last week so i gave her a few winds and left it in the drawer :(

"Pull crown and send it in"?? Sounds like an emergency!
Old 4 June 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
dannyjak
"TRF" Member

Common problem on the GMT IIc. If you search on the forums you'll see it happens alot. Kind of disappointing. Most of the time youll need the Service Center to fix it unfortunately.
dannyjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
kymwatchlog
Banned

what irks me is that it was ok for like the 1st 3weeks then it happen!

i always enjoying setting the time and date on my GMT but now i see the date jammed there i get very frustrated.

probably need a quick service.

touching wood, my ExpII216570 so far ok, hope this "disease" don't spread over! lol
Old 4 June 2012, 06:25 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymwatchlog View Post
You know the way we set the date on the GMT is to make the hour-hand circle quickly around and the date jumps at the 2nd "12".

At first it is ok but last week, I noticed something was amiss when the date got "jammed" at 12 and only manage to change over at around 2 oclock.

Is this a serious issue? Can the watch guy rectify it easity?

Thanks!
There has been a few problems reported with the date change on the GMT11C.But quite a simple fix try turning the date right around the full 31 days a few times this normally clears the problem, could be a bit of oil on the date wheel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Sean.c
Banned

Watch: Sub date
poor poor from rolex ...things like this make me think rolex isnt worth more then 1000 bucks unlike the 7-10 times real price we pay. Watches should be far more better built at such high prices !
Sean.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Enoch
"TRF" Member

No big deal if it changes at 2am...... I'm asleep then anyway so wouldn't know
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 08:03 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.c View Post
poor poor from rolex ...things like this make me think rolex isnt worth more then 1000 bucks unlike the 7-10 times real price we pay. Watches should be far more better built at such high prices !
The Rolex movement is a machine and just like many machines costing 10-1000 times more expensive than a Rolex they sometimes go wrong.But in the OP case its a very very simple fix and not a huge fault..

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 June 2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The Rolex movement is a machine and just like many machines costing 10-1000 times more expensive than a Rolex they sometimes go wrong.But in the OP case its a very very simple fix and not a huge fault..
x2

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2012, 10:23 PM   #11
kymwatchlog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
No big deal if it changes at 2am...... I'm asleep then anyway so wouldn't know
thats not the point :)

the point is in the setting of the time if u know where i am coming from.

ok, looks like a trip to the watchmaker this week...
Old 5 June 2012, 12:26 AM   #12
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Easy fix, no need for a watchmaker, see post #6 in this thread
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 02:26 AM   #13
sierra11b
"TRF" Member

Watch: MkXVIII, 3570.50
Happened with my GMTIIC and as I recall it's a fairly common over lubrication issue with the 3186. I tried the running the quickset back and forth numerous times but it would still get stuck.
sierra11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 02:32 AM   #14
Lmbeauleap
"TRF" Member

Watch: Franken
That sucks. Let us know if Peter's suggestion fixes it or how it turns out.

My date doesn't get stuck but it changes at noon and red 24 hr hand is always 12 hours fast.
Lmbeauleap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 03:14 PM   #15
kymwatchlog
Banned

i just tried and it works at first but after cycling 31 days, the problem came back :(

it did worked for some dates but some stubborn dates just keep getting stuck..

really a bummer. i bought my GMTIIc brand new and i couldn't beleive it is going to RSC within warranty period. sigh

but thanks to all who chimed in to help :)
Old 5 June 2012, 04:39 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
i just tried and it works at first but after cycling 31 days, the problem came back :(

really a bummer. i bought my GMTIIc brand new and i couldn't beleive it is going to RSC within warranty period. sigh

You must wind it around a few times expect there is a tiny bit of oil on date wheel.Are you turning the hands around to see if the date changes at midnight to check certain days?.As long as date has changed by the time you wake up and you can see its changed myself would not worry about it till service time.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 June 2012, 05:13 PM   #17
kymwatchlog
Banned

i am normally not a perfectionist guy and i am perfectly ok as i am used to my Seiko changing day and date over 2-3hrs period.

however i am jumping on this issue on my GMT as it makes setting the time and the GMT hand very troublesome.

just when you thought u are at the right date and main hour hand and corresponding GMT hand, the hour hand screws up the time setting as it changes the date at 2am instead of 12am.
Old 6 June 2012, 03:58 AM   #18
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The trick is that when you find a date that is sticking as you advance through the dates, you must cycle back and forth: go forwards past midnight until it advances to the next day, then go backwards prior to midnight to the previous date, then repeat, and do this several times until that date stops sticking, then advance again until you hit the next sticking date and do it again, repeat for all sticking dates. This was the only way I could get it to keep from sticking and it hasn't given me any trouble since. Good luck!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 30 June 2012, 07:08 AM   #19
sapper17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Omega
Just did this, most of the dates stuck. Went thru one last time and it seemed smooth. Curious to what unsticks it by going back and forth? We will see at midnight tonight!
sapper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
i am normally not a perfectionist guy and i am perfectly ok as i am used to my Seiko changing day and date over 2-3hrs period.

however i am jumping on this issue on my GMT as it makes setting the time and the GMT hand very troublesome.

just when you thought u are at the right date and main hour hand and corresponding GMT hand, the hour hand screws up the time setting as it changes the date at 2am instead of 12am.
Troublesome ???.. .. you can turn the jump hand in either direction to get most directly to the date you want.. If it doesn't change exactly at 12 when jumping, and you have to go a couple of extra hours, just back it back after the date changes if you want the hour hand at 1 am.. But if you are turning it backwards to get most directly to the date you want, it may change at 11pm, instead of midnight... so what ??.. You're just trying to get to a date..
Old 9 July 2012, 11:20 AM   #21
kymwatchlog
Banned

An update:

RSC cleared this issue. They told me the date wheel being stiff and the jumping impaired. A new date wheel was changed and all is well now. seeing the scuffs on bracelet clasp and caseback, RSC did a quick touch up and all is like new now.

I love my GMTIIC!
Old 9 July 2012, 01:35 PM   #22
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
There has been a few problems reported with the date change on the GMT11C.But quite a simple fix try turning the date right around the full 31 days a few times this normally clears the problem, could be a bit of oil on the date wheel.
This is exactly the issue... Too much oil on the date wheel. Had this issue myself a few years ago and sent to RSC and they remedied the issue

Personally I would just wind it a few times through the full calendar month and as mentioned it should work itself out
Old 9 July 2012, 04:12 PM   #23
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
The trick is that when you find a date that is sticking as you advance through the dates, you must cycle back and forth: go forwards past midnight until it advances to the next day, then go backwards prior to midnight to the previous date, then repeat, and do this several times until that date stops sticking, then advance again until you hit the next sticking date and do it again, repeat for all sticking dates. This was the only way I could get it to keep from sticking and it hasn't given me any trouble since. Good luck!
Hi Improviz I have tried the above method and it seems to work. Now is to just wait and see if the date change is smooth come midnight. Thanks for sharing
Old 9 July 2012, 04:24 PM   #24
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomant View Post
Hi Improviz I have tried the above method and it seems to work. Now is to just wait and see if the date change is smooth come midnight. Thanks for sharing
You bet; I hope it did the trick for you!