The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 30 January 2014, 12:28 PM   #1
68camaro
Banned

Well...its been a week since last post so......

...I guess I'll keep the party going

This is usually first or second stop on my visit to TRF each day. It's been real quiet so I guess I'll ask a question to see if anyone awake.

How many fountain pens do you use on a regular basis? I carry the same two with me, I have two pen case I keep them in. I have two other FP's, neither I use regularly, since other two are perfect for my needs. Maybe I am just lazy....

Chuck
68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 05:29 AM   #2
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Hi Chuck, I too carry and use two Fountain pens each day. And they are the same two as well one has Bordeaux ink and the other is filled with Oyster Gray ink. Then sometimes I carry a Rollerball in case someone needs a pen to use as I do not let anyone use my FP's.....

Take care.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2014, 12:45 PM   #3
68camaro
Banned

Leo, I figured you chime in. Thanks. I've been thinking of a third one with red ink and a real fine nib to write negative numbers with.
Old 1 February 2014, 05:59 AM   #4
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Hi guys, I'll chime in too. I've only been carrying one fountain pen a day but that's mainly because my pen cases are single slot. I've been itching to carry around two so I'm currently investigating two pen cases. Anyway, the one that's been carried lately (Leo you'll like this as a MB owner) is this super cool little retractable nib MontBlanc Boheme Noir I picked up at a great price a week ago.

WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 09:37 AM   #5
Lion
"TRF" Member

Chad, that's a very nice looking pen...what type/color ink do you have in the converter???

Old 2 February 2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Lion
"TRF" Member

Chuck, that sounds like a great plan...what size nib do you plan on using? Extra Fine or smaller???

Old 2 February 2014, 03:20 PM   #7
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
I use one on a regular basis but mix it up with roller balls, a few space pens, and one of several parker jotters.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2014, 02:29 PM   #8
68camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
Chuck, that sounds like a great plan...what size nib do you plan on using? Extra Fine or smaller???
I have a Sailor medium 1911 with an extra fine nib that is.23mm. I'll probably get the same for the red ink but may go for a .10mm nib for the heck of it, not that I think I need one so small. I could get a nib master to grind down to a .15mm or so.

Sailor and Nakaya make a .10 but I don't think many more do. I never used a .10 so not sure of the line it puts down.

A Saibi-Togi nib is .10mm as well, I think its stiff but need to research, I read artists like it due to ultra-fine lines for drawing.

Chuck
Old 4 February 2014, 01:20 PM   #9
SUBversive
Banned

When I went to the boston pen show, I tried several nibs and ended up getting a type of Calligraphy nib. I was somewhat stunned because I liked it so much. The flow and how easy it felt in my hand.
Old 4 February 2014, 06:37 PM   #10
shu_uemura
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Alright, I'll chime in as well. Usually spend most of my time over in fountain pen forums, but I occasionally visit this forum just to admire watches. Here are some pens I use on a semi-regular basis out of my collection. The Emperor and Dupont have been flushed and put away. In their place are two Nakaya Portable Writers and one OMAS Paragon which I don't have pictures of.

shu_uemura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2014, 02:11 PM   #11
68camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu_uemura View Post
Alright, I'll chime in as well. Usually spend most of my time over in fountain pen forums, but I occasionally visit this forum just to admire watches. Here are some pens I use on a semi-regular basis out of my collection. The Emperor and Dupont have been flushed and put away. In their place are two Nakaya Portable Writers and one OMAS Paragon which I don't have pictures of.

Very nice collection......
Old 6 February 2014, 07:34 AM   #12
SUBversive
Banned

Very nice collection.
Old 7 February 2014, 09:35 AM   #13
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Chad, that's a very nice looking pen...what type/color ink do you have in the converter???
Thanks Leo! Currently I'm using Waterman Mysterious Blue (Blue/Black). I am thinking about trying some other inks in it though as I just picked up an ink syringe to be able to fill cartridges with whatever I please.
Old 11 February 2014, 04:39 AM   #14
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68camaro View Post
I have a Sailor medium 1911 with an extra fine nib that is.23mm. I'll probably get the same for the red ink but may go for a .10mm nib for the heck of it, not that I think I need one so small. I could get a nib master to grind down to a .15mm or so.

Sailor and Nakaya make a .10 but I don't think many more do. I never used a .10 so not sure of the line it puts down.

A Saibi-Togi nib is .10mm as well, I think its stiff but need to research, I read artists like it due to ultra-fine lines for drawing.

Chuck
Good Afternoon Chuck,

Hey, sorry I've been absent and did not get back to you. I'm with you though...the smaller the line the better. I do not know the width of the line my MB Fountain pens(the ones I'm currently using)with XF Nibs put out but seeing that they are from Germany I know they are wider than those Fountain pens made in Japan. I do have some Pilot and Platinum FP's(they have either a Needle or an Accountant Nib) that lay down some really narrow lines.....

FYI, now give me a Mechanical pencil(.5mm)/Drafting pencil(2mm lead sharpened)and I can print small enough that you'll need a magnifying glass to read it. Something I learned to do in grade school when I was bored with classes.....

Good luck with your next purchase(s) and Happy Hunting...as you never know where you might find a Fountain pen. I know a couple of years ago I found a nice Conklin in a Coin Shop and picked it up for $25.00 and it had a 14K Nib.....

Take care.....Leo

Old 11 February 2014, 04:51 AM   #15
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoWatch View Post
Thanks Leo! Currently I'm using Waterman Mysterious Blue (Blue/Black). I am thinking about trying some other inks in it though as I just picked up an ink syringe to be able to fill cartridges with whatever I please.
Good Afternoon Chad,

Sorry as I'm late to respond but I know you will have fun trying out different manufacturers of ink as well as all the colors that are available. Just think everyday you could be using a different color. And as a thought maybe with the next Fountain pen you pick up you'll buy one that uses a converter. This will allow you to change colors with ease!!!

Take care.....Leo

Old 11 February 2014, 04:59 AM   #16
Lion
"TRF" Member

shu_uemura, very nice collection of pens you have shown us. I would imagine that these are but a few of the ones you own...especially if you spend time on Pen forums. I only say this cause like anything...collecting can and is an addiction!!! LOL!!!

Old 13 February 2014, 02:25 AM   #17
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good Afternoon Chad,

Sorry as I'm late to respond but I know you will have fun trying out different manufacturers of ink as well as all the colors that are available. Just think everyday you could be using a different color. And as a thought maybe with the next Fountain pen you pick up you'll buy one that uses a converter. This will allow you to change colors with ease!!!

Take care.....Leo
Leo, yeah, that would be my only complaint about this little MB Boheme is that it is cartridge only (International Short size at that). My Cartier FP has a converter which I like while my Pelikan Souverans are piston fill which I REALLY like. I've been looking around to see what my next FP purchase will be. There are sooooo many nice pens out there, it's tough to make a decision. I'll likely start experimenting with some different inks in the meantime.