The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 March 2014, 05:37 PM   #1
ProSub
"TRF" Member

HELP ! Insert and Pearl broken on 116610LN

Hi guys,
I accidentally broke my ceramic bezel insert from my 116610LN yesterday while I was diving, thank god the sapphire crystal is ok ! So my pearl is lost now in the water and I need your advice for a new insert ! Those are extremely rare in spare parts in eBay and I don't know what to do now.. My watch is from 2010 and I don't have the warranty..

Thank you for reading me
ProSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Mickyfin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Planet Ocean
Have you considered taking your watch to your local AD?
Mickyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 08:28 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSub View Post
Hi guys,
I accidentally broke my ceramic bezel insert from my 116610LN yesterday while I was diving, thank god the sapphire crystal is ok ! So my pearl is lost now in the water and I need your advice for a new insert ! Those are extremely rare in spare parts in eBay and I don't know what to do now.. My watch is from 2010 and I don't have the warranty..

Thank you for reading me
The bad news,and one of the downsides of all the ceramic inserts that have pearls, and point of interest to all Ceramic owners, is that the bezel pearl cannot be replaced on any ceramic insert. This is what I was told on contact to Rolex London who spoke with Rolex directly a few moths ago on my behalf.Now in the UK new black ceramic bezel insert is £360 plus VAT. But when you think of the complete aliminum pearl and insert is just £37 except green LV complete to replace and a DIY fix.It makes me think that newer do not always mean its better just more expensive as both ceramic and the aliminum function the same.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
It is now possible to have a pearl replaced on a ceramic insert. Rolex Geneva have developed a tool kit and process so this can be carried out. I have performed it a number of times.

I would assume all RSC's should be able to offer this (or if not yet then shortly) as the tool kit to perform it was made available a few months ago.

It will only be possible on an inset that is not cracked or broken. If the insert itself is cracked then its a new insert. No other option.

Last edited by Tools; 31 March 2014 at 02:40 AM.. Reason: typo correction
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2014, 03:46 AM   #5
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
It is now possible to have a pear replaced on a ceramic insert. Rolex Geneva have developed a tool kit and process so this can be carried out. I have performed it a number of times.

I would assume all RSC's should be able to offer this (or if not yet then shortly) as the tool kit to perform it was made available a few months ago.

It is only be possible on an inset that is not cracked or broken. If the insert itself is cracked then its a new insert. No other option.
hi this is great news. could you post a thread about it( perhaps with pics of the kit) on the general discussion section to let everyone know.
Old 18 March 2014, 03:52 AM   #6
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Icon14

x2 this would be great to expand upon...

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2014, 03:57 AM   #7
Johny
"TRF" Member

bump for any readers from the general section.
Old 29 March 2014, 07:00 AM   #8
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
What is the process? Is it an epoxy style 'fill-in', then buff it back to a shine?? Highly curious.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 01:52 AM   #9
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is now possible to have a pear replaced on a ceramic insert. Rolex Geneva have developed a tool kit and process so this can be carried out. I have performed it a number of times.

It is only be possible on an inset that is not cracked or broken. If the insert itself is cracked then its a new insert. No other option.

Ironstark,
Can they fix the WG surround that the pearl sets in. Mine is bent on my LVC ? I must have banged it somewhere, it's a small deformation. Whats your opinion ?

Here's a picture:

Thanks !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.4 KB, 869 views)
Old 31 March 2014, 01:01 AM   #10
Ironstark
TechXpert

The lum dot settings in the ceramic inserts are riveted from the back. They are white gold or yellow gold (depending on the model)
If the old setting is still in place but damaged, first it is necessary to remove the rivet (by grinding the old rivet away) and then pushing the old setting out.

The new setting is riveted in place using a specially designed tool which ensures the correct pressure is used.
If too much pressure is applied it is very easy to break the insert.

Lastly the new lum dot is fitted into the gold setting, again using the tool to ensure the correct pressure is applied.

From your picture JAGERVEGAS it looks like you would need the setting/dot replaced.I cannot see how it could be repaired.
Old 31 March 2014, 01:45 AM   #11
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The lum dot settings in the ceramic inserts are riveted from the back. They are white gold or yellow gold (depending on the model)
If the old setting is still in place but damaged, first it is necessary to remove the rivet (by grinding the old rivet away) and then pushing the old setting out.

The new setting is riveted in place using a specially designed tool which ensures the correct pressure is used.

Lastly the new lum dot is fitted into the gold setting, again using the tool to ensure the correct pressure is applied.

From your picture JAGERVEGAS it looks like you would need the setting/dot replaced.I cannot see how it could be repaired.

very interesting/informative.
Old 31 March 2014, 04:51 AM   #12
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
very interesting/informative.
+1 Thanks for the info!

Sounds like a straight forward fix, but would require the tooling to get the newer gen bezel's off/on, so it sounds like RSC only work....
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 12:54 AM   #13
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you
Old 4 April 2014, 02:55 AM   #14
Ironstark
TechXpert

It could be improved if the "burred" edge which has been thrown up by the blow was removed and redressed a little. It really depends how particular you are as an owner and whether or not you would want to live with it.
Old 4 April 2014, 03:19 AM   #15
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The bad news,and one of the downsides of all the ceramic inserts that have pearls, and point of interest to all Ceramic owners, is that the bezel pearl cannot be replaced on any ceramic insert. This is what I was told on contact to Rolex London who spoke with Rolex directly a few moths ago on my behalf.Now in the UK new black ceramic bezel insert is £360 plus VAT. But when you think of the complete aliminum pearl and insert is just £37 except green LV complete to replace and a DIY fix.It makes me think that newer do not always mean its better just more expensive as both ceramic and the aliminum function the same.
Exactly!

My impression was the aluminum insert was viewed as an easily replaceable part since it is fairly prone to damage.

I think Rolex switched to ceramic to make it more robust, but reading how many people on TRF have cracked theirs (the dreaded bathroom floor! ) and how expensive they are makes me think the original design was more practical...
Old 4 April 2014, 07:19 AM   #16
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It could be improved if the "burred" edge which has been thrown up by the blow was removed and redressed a little. It really depends how particular you are as an owner and whether or not you would want to live with it.
I can't even notice it without a macro, so no big deal to me right now. Doesn't bother me at all . I was just curious what was involved to get back to normal
Thanks
Old 8 April 2014, 04:55 AM   #17
kakocemo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16613, 11652
Try www.usawatchservice.com , they change mine for $400.
kakocemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2014, 03:53 AM   #18
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakocemo View Post
Try www.usawatchservice.com , they change mine for $400.
What did they do, full service on what reference ?

Do they have Rolex Parts Account ?
CW21 or CMW21 Certification ?
Old 10 April 2014, 11:04 AM   #19
kakocemo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16613, 11652
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
What did they do, full service on what reference ?

Do they have Rolex Parts Account ?
CW21 or CMW21 Certification ?
They replaced ceramic bezel insert only, and they do have Rolex parts account.
kakocemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2014, 10:40 PM   #20
Starbucksboss
Banned

Ouch...expensive stuff this ceramic.
Starbucksboss is offline   Reply With Quote