The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 April 2014, 06:47 AM   #1
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Comparson of 2 GMTs

Hi Guys, Once again, this is part advice part education, and as always thanks in advance. I would like to get a Pepsi GMT. I have been looking at a ton. I have my eye on one I posted about earlier from ebay, but the price continues to rise. I missed out on a couple in here that I thought were great. Of the current crop I found these 2. I would love your opinions on which and why or why not.

This one - I like the age, tiny marker, but the provenance is unknown. It is clean, but not suspiciously clean (??)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...+Mini-GMT+Hand

This one is more $$ but has all the papers etc. Seems pricey, actually both are out of my range abit, but would rather maybe spend a little more to buy smarter.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...Collectors+Set

Or should I continue to try and find something matte dial mid/late 60's for $4k-$5k ??
Victorinox Swiss Army 24221 - circa 1985
Sold but wish I didn't
Rolex DateJust 1603 - 1972
seabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 06:54 AM   #2
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Both are nice but the second one (greekbums) is outstanding. Well worth the small added premium.
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 07:00 AM   #3
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Both are nice but the second one (greekbums) is outstanding. Well worth the small added premium.
Really? The pitting on the bezel doesn't bother you? The paperwork is that important? or are there intangibles I am missing ?
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 2 April 2014, 07:06 AM   #4
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
Hi Guys, Once again, this is part advice part education, and as always thanks in advance. I would like to get a Pepsi GMT. I have been looking at a ton. I have my eye on one I posted about earlier from ebay, but the price continues to rise. I missed out on a couple in here that I thought were great. Of the current crop I found these 2. I would love your opinions on which and why or why not.

This one - I like the age, tiny marker, but the provenance is unknown. It is clean, but not suspiciously clean (??)
http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...+Mini-GMT+Hand

This one is more $$ but has all the papers etc. Seems pricey, actually both are out of my range abit, but would rather maybe spend a little more to buy smarter.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/20767...Collectors+Set

Or should I continue to try and find something matte dial mid/late 60's for $4k-$5k ??

This is the 3rd non gilt gmt with the small 24hr hand ive seen lately. I remember Springer saying that during the transition some of the Matte dial Gmts ended up with the small 24 hr hand. Cool to see different variations.

I personally would just pay the premium for greekbums. His is very nice and fairly priced imo for something with box and papers. Its a much better looking watch as well. just my 2cents

Edit. The pitting your talking about is not a problem at all. Easily replaced with a new insert.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 07:10 AM   #5
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
This is the 3rd non gilt gmt with the small 24hr hand ive seen lately. I remember Springer saying that during the transition some of the Matte dial Gmts ended up with the small 24 hr hand. Cool to see different variations.

I personally would just pay the premium for greekbums. His is very nice and fairly priced imo for something with box and papers. Its a much better looking watch as well. just my 2cents

Edit. The pitting your talking about is not a problem at all. Nothing compared to many vintage watches on this forum.
Yes I think you mentioned that when I posted one on here I saw on eBay. I have still not gotten a response as to why the dial on that is not original....although I can surmise the reason - that the dial probably got sold and fetched as much as the watch. maybe?
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 2 April 2014, 07:11 AM   #6
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really? The pitting on the bezel doesn't bother you? The paperwork is that important? or are there intangibles I am missing ?
The pitting of the insert isn't a big deal. It can be changed and I'm sure if you ask nicely the seller will try and come up with one for you (I'm sure he has a few).

I'm attracted to the second one for:
The case
Originality
Recent service
And THE CASE!

IMHO it's a very nice GMT.
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 07:16 AM   #7
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The pitting of the insert isn't a big deal. It can be changed and I'm sure if you ask nicely the seller will try and come up with one for you (I'm sure he has a few).

I'm attracted to the second one for:
The case
Originality
Recent service
And THE CASE!

IMHO it's a very nice GMT.
Its a great case. Love the chamfer edges. i dont think its unpolished by the top lug picture but very still very thick. Cool that it comes with punched papers.
Old 2 April 2014, 07:18 AM   #8
silversurfer96790
Banned

Watch: GMT 16710, 1675
I think 4k - 5k price range is going to be hard to find a nice MK1 matte dial 1675. Papers and all the swag is always nice to have but not a deal breaker for me. You can find a nice late 60's 1675 for 5k - 6k range. I personally don't like either of the two you posted.The small 24 hour pointer looks off to me but I could be wrong the other 1970 looks like the 12 o'clock lume was damaged and repaired for $7300 I think you could find a much better ser. 2xx mil 1675.
silversurfer96790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 07:20 AM   #9
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

edit
Old 2 April 2014, 07:23 AM   #10
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer96790 View Post
I think 4k - 5k price range is going to be hard to find a nice MK1 matte dial 1675. Papers and all the swag is always nice to have but not a deal breaker for me. You can find a nice late 60's 1675 for 5k - 6k range. I personally don't like either of the two you posted.The small 24 hour pointer looks off to me but I could be wrong the other 1970 looks like the 12 o'clock lume was damaged and repaired for $7300 I think you could find a much better ser. 2xx mil 1675.

I like the idea of having papers but i agree its no deal breaker. I prefer to have a nice example. I have papers for my snowflake but they rarely leave the safe.
Old 2 April 2014, 07:36 AM   #11
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
id pass on both, tbh. the bezel on the 2nd is nice, faded colors but the pitting would bother me and finding a new insert that is faded nicely will get really expensive and be a long search.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 10:02 AM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Complete sets are nice to have and are more pricey than those without. While not a complete set, the important items are there.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 10:08 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
id pass on both, tbh. the bezel on the 2nd is nice, faded colors but the pitting would bother me and finding a new insert that is faded nicely will get really expensive and be a long search.
Nice, period correct inserts, that are not scratched, pitted etc, are getting hard to find and fetch $750 on up. Nice 1675 GMT-Masters have appreciated well the past couple of years. $6000 on up seems to be where the nice ones are at this time.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
The pitting isnt a big deal like everyone said, you can easily replace it should you wish so. I personally would leave it just like that.

The box and papers for a small 24-hour hands, to me, is a huge plus. Since it's a rarity amongst the more common larger 24-hour hands.

If it was a "common" 24-hour hand, I would opt for the nonpaper one. Since the collectability value is personally different to me.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 12:43 PM   #15
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
The pitting isnt a big deal like everyone said, you can easily replace it should you wish so. I personally would leave it just like that.

The box and papers for a small 24-hour hands, to me, is a huge plus. Since it's a rarity amongst the more common larger 24-hour hands.

If it was a "common" 24-hour hand, I would opt for the nonpaper one. Since the collectability value is personally different to me.

The gmt with papers has the bigger 24 hr hand.
Old 2 April 2014, 11:24 PM   #16
nycpassat
"TRF" Member

Greekbum also has a nice 16750 set if you're interested: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=343664
nycpassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2014, 11:56 PM   #17
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

I prefer the second one, and not bothered about the insert. Needs a new crystal, though.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 12:39 AM   #18
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
update

As an owner & collector of GMT's for 30 year plus I'd suggest some more research if you think an insert is a deal breaker on a nice watch :-) No critique on the ones for sale but pay attention to the case quality as well as the dial and hands. Make sure the components are date specific to the watch in question if at all possible. After that many years if the watch has been worn you can expect insert, replacement bezels, dials hands, bracelets & movement parts to have been replaced under service etc. If you expect a non touched museum example be prepared to pay for it and for the dealer to back up his watch as well. good luck with your search. m

Last edited by watchcrank; 3 April 2014 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: additional text
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 11:34 PM   #19
seabreeze
2024 Pledge Member

Update. After almost going for one of these I waited. Found what I think (hope) is a nice example. Early matte dial 16750

. Arrives next week.
Sold but wish I didn't
Old 6 April 2014, 05:14 AM   #20
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update. After almost going for one of these I waited. Found what I think (hope) is a nice example. Early matte dial 16750

. Arrives next week.

You made the right decision. John is a class act and I'm sure the watch Will be even nicer then you expect. congrats
Old 6 April 2014, 02:06 PM   #21
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Good choice IMO
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote