The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 November 2015, 01:42 AM   #1
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Datograph Perpetual - yay or nay?

One of my grails is due in to the boutique shortly and I'm tempted to jump on it.
I would flip three watches for the Datograph Perpetual in white gold with the grey dial.

Patek 5205G - It's been half way out the door for a while.
VC American 1921 - Beautiful watch but not the most versatile or easy to wear.
Lange 1815 up/down - Love it, but I own a Lange 1 and adding the Dato Perp would fulfill my Lange bug (for now).

So a big flip but for a potentially killer watch. One thing that does bother me is the low power reserve on the older datograph movement (36 hours). Without a power reserve indicator too. Still don't know why Lange didn't put the new movement in this model.

Anyone own one? Any thoughts would be appreciated. This would be a big addition for me and I would be selling three very nice watches. Keep in mind I have a fairly large collection. Thanks in advance. - Jay

-1x-1.jpg
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 02:01 AM   #2
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Another pic (not mine).

sihh2015alsdatographperpwg3.jpg
Old 13 November 2015, 03:21 AM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Are you joking??? YAYYYYY especially in WG with the dark grey dial, it's an amazing piece, saw it in PT and I LOVE it, but prefer it way more in WG, it's just awesome, prefer it to the Patek 5970, even if they were the same price, just buy it right, on PT the difference between retail and grey market is just HUGE, anyways go for it man, one of the best watches ever made IMHO

And about the 3 going out, they are well worth going out for that beauty to come in, don't even hesitate for a second, DO IT
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 03:26 AM   #4
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Are you joking??? YAYYYYY especially in WG with the dark grey dial, it's an amazing piece, saw it in PT and I LOVE it, but prefer it way more in WG, it's just awesome, prefer it to the Patek 5970, even if they were the same price, just buy it right, on PT the difference between retail and grey market is just HUGE, anyways go for it man, one of the best watches ever made IMHO

And about the 3 going out, they are well worth going out for that beauty to come in, don't even hesitate for a second, DO IT
Pretty serious opinion. Yes, I've found a great price on it. Customer turned it down and went with another piece instead.
Old 13 November 2015, 03:31 AM   #5
sgwatch
"TRF" Member

I would definitely go for the Dato Perp over the three watches you mention, especially since the 5205 is half way out the door. I haven't seen the new one live, but the old gray dial version was fantastic.
sgwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 03:32 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
Pretty serious opinion. Yes, I've found a great price on it. Customer turned it down and went with another piece instead.
Yeah I have a huge crush on that watch, and like I said I only saw IRL the PT version which in pics I think is not as nice as the WG version, plus the fact that the WG is lighter is a plus in my book. If you got a great price on it then really do it, I'm not joking for me it's probably THE best bang for your buck in the "classy/sporty" complications watch segment, would love to have one some day in a 4-5 piece collection
Old 13 November 2015, 03:36 AM   #7
flyboyx999
"TRF" Member

Big YES!
flyboyx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 03:40 AM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Unless it's an automatic, I wouldn't do it. I don't like manual winds personally.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 03:43 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Unless it's an automatic, I wouldn't do it. I don't like manual winds personally.
OK don't listen to this, manual winds movements are in most cases much more beautiful than auto, and we're not talking about any manual, we're talking about the ALS Datograph movement, a chef d'oeuvre, work of art, masterpiece, I don't care how you want to call it but it's one of the most amazing movements ever made, technically and visually...
Old 13 November 2015, 03:45 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
OK don't listen to this, manual winds movements are in most cases much more beautiful than auto, and we're not talking about any manual, we're talking about the ALS Datograph movement, a chef d'oeuvre, work of art, masterpiece, I don't care how you want to call it but it's one of the most amazing movements ever made, technically and visually...
This is a subject about which we can agree to disagree. I respect your view and hope you can respect mine.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 03:47 AM   #11
Vipes
"TRF" Member

The Dato perpetual is super nice esp. in that color combination. I would do the trade. Hopefully we'll see an incoming from you soon.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 03:56 AM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
This is a subject about which we can agree to disagree. I respect your view and hope you can respect mine.
Of course God I respect your view , I understand that for some the idea to wind up your watch everyday or 2 days can be a hassle and should not be in an expensive modern watch, to each his own, but for me it brings a special connection to your watch, but even with this put apart, you can't disagree that the most beautiful watch movements are the manual wind ones, wether Patek, ALS, RM, and basically all high end brands their most beautiful movements are the manual ones, so if for you the movement beauty is not a super important factor, for me it is but get that not everyone thinks the same, then ok auto is much better, but this ALS movement is such a stunner that even if you had to wind it 2 times a day I would still say go for it
Old 13 November 2015, 03:57 AM   #13
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
it is quite special.
Old 13 November 2015, 04:02 AM   #14
cervantes
"TRF" Member

A manual wind perpetual with 36 hours isn't ideal, beautiful or not. Most Patek chronos are 48 minimum and the 5270 is 65.
Old 13 November 2015, 04:16 AM   #15
Israguard
"TRF" Member

omg. that is one serious watch. That is THE WATCH.

Don't forget to post pix
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 04:20 AM   #16
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Any owners on the forum?
Old 13 November 2015, 05:20 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a lot to give up but I think you should, regret would be too much I fear.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 05:30 AM   #18
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
It's a lot to give up but I think you should, regret would be too much I fear.
I might keep the VC. The 5205 was probably going to go anyways once I picked up the 5396. And the 1815 up/down seems like would be a little too similar to the DatoPerp. But maybe not. I just picked up an AP Jumbo today so I think I might flip the 1815.

Truthfully, I really like the 1815 Chronograph Boutique edition that was released and have been trying to source one. But this datograph deal came up and threw a big wrench in my plans.
Old 13 November 2015, 08:06 AM   #19
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The quick set date function makes all the difference and even with the low power reserve makes it much less of a nuisance to wear this watch in rotation with many other watches. It is a much more user friendly adjustment process than say the 5270 or 5970. Lovely watch go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.6 KB, 320 views)
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 09:13 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A manual wind perpetual with 36 hours isn't ideal, beautiful or not. Most Patek chronos are 48 minimum and the 5270 is 65.
If it was 48hrs you would still probably wind it every 24hrs for it to keep good time since at the last hrs of the power it doesn't keep good time, so wether 36 or 48hrs I don't think it makes a significant difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
The quick set date function makes all the difference and even with the low power reserve makes it much less of a nuisance to wear this watch in rotation with many other watches. It is a much more user friendly adjustment process than say the 5270 or 5970. Lovely watch go for it.
Like always Roger is the voice of wisdom in the watch dimension, well if you set apart the flipping madness segment
Old 13 November 2015, 09:27 AM   #21
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Not an owner, but I think I would give up the 3 you mention for the perpetual. Had the pleasure of trying one on, and it's amazing
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 12:39 PM   #22
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Roger. Yea I though the quick date function would help considerably. How does it wear in platinum? Like the standard Dato up/down?
Old 13 November 2015, 07:03 PM   #23
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Thanks Roger. Yea I though the quick date function would help considerably. How does it wear in platinum? Like the standard Dato up/down?
It wears extremely well and actually slightly better than my double split which is bigger and slightly thicker. Can't comment against the standard Dato as never tried it.

I see DavidSW has an exceptionally well priced one on sale!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2015, 07:48 PM   #24
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It wears extremely well and actually slightly better than my double split which is bigger and slightly thicker. Can't comment against the standard Dato as never tried it.

Yes he does have an excellent price since it's exactly the best price I ever saw on a PT Dato PC, but it's PT and the OP prefers WG, so do I, problem WG is rarer and more expensive, sometimes the difference is huge….
Old 13 November 2015, 08:38 PM   #25
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Yes he does have an excellent price since it's exactly the best price I ever saw on a PT Dato PC, but it's PT and the OP prefers WG, so do I, problem WG is rarer and more expensive, sometimes the difference is huge….
Thanks guys. Got till monday to decide...
Old 13 November 2015, 09:33 PM   #26
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I have yet to see one in real life but it looks very stunning. As long as your price point is great, go for it!
Old 13 November 2015, 11:01 PM   #27
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Most no-brainer flip I've seen in awhile. 5205 is meh, u know that already. VC is a neat watch but basically unwearable. The 1815 is great but a Dato perpetual puts you on a different level.
Old 13 November 2015, 11:24 PM   #28
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Most no-brainer flip I've seen in awhile. 5205 is meh, u know that already. VC is a neat watch but basically unwearable. The 1815 is great but a Dato perpetual puts you on a different level.
Hmmm... the VC does get little wear because of the hot climate in the M.E. It's difficult to wear a rose gold retro-style cushion case during the warm months with short sleeves. Though during winter months it really works.
Old 13 November 2015, 11:50 PM   #29
MTROIS
Banned

Datograph Perpetual - yay or nay?

I am not especially fond with the three pieces you would cut loose (with the exception of the ALS... But still not my fave 1815)... But at the same time, I am not convinced by the Dato Perpetual.
The fact that I am currently in a phase where I feel strongly that less is more, does not help and, as others have said, the short power reserve on this one would make it a no go for me... especially since you already have a Lange 1 in your collection.

The chronograph boutique edition on the other hand....
MTROIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 12:00 AM   #30
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Jay this gets a big YAY from me, any ALS complication does. love the watchmaking ethos they do and they make amazing pieces. goodluck and i hope you get your grail soon, trade away my friend there will be no regrets
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote