The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 30 June 2008, 07:10 PM   #1
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
GMT Function of PAM 233 + 270

Could someone please explain me how it works on PAM's?

It's my understanding that it does not work the same way as on the Rolex GMT.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 08:23 PM   #2
jikjak

theres a main hand and the gmt hand for the second time zone. the gmt hand is linked to the day/night indicator (am/pm on the 270).
jikjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 08:48 PM   #3
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Setting is the same as a Rolex GMT. The only difference is the GMT hand moves in 12 hour increments instead of 24 hours, and as stated above there is a dot indicator signifying if the GMT Time is day or night. Another feature is the GMT hand can be hidden underneath the hour hand, if you do not want to use, or if you GMT time is 12 hours difference from you local time.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 09:10 PM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Chad as explained it most eloquently,as for myself,I havent worn my 289 for long enough periods to be concerned about that.A nice feature is that you can actually hide the 24h hand under the 12 hour hand for a cleaner look.

As for how it differs from Rolex .. I wont know.Whats Rolex ??
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Now that is pushing your luck on ROLEX FORUM.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2008, 12:15 AM   #7
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Okay, I just seemed to have read somewhere that if you're travelling and want to use the GMT function, the GMT hand is moved in the 12 hour increments and not the HOUR hand of the main watch. This would leave you looking at the "home time" when looking at the watch and having to search for the GMT hand to tell the time in the country you're travelling in. Maybe I just got this wrong.

Old 1 July 2008, 12:19 AM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

No, it is like the Rolex GMT. You can move the Hour hand in one hour increments. The GMT hand then stays put.

Now Panerai's model 88, another GMT that uses a modifed ETA Vlg. 7750 movement, operates different. Both the GMT hand annd the hour/minute hand are set independant of each other, but run in accordance with each other, and you have manually reset the GMT hand at each location.
Old 1 July 2008, 02:37 AM   #9
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Phew! Nice feature with your being able to cover the GMT hand!

Damn, now I (again - since I made a thread about it a while ago ) want a PAM 270! Today's one of those days where I really need another watch!

I'd prefer automatic PAM's and love the overall design of the PAM 270. If I don't like the Rolex DSSD when I see it in person, I might go for the PAM 270 instead (although it means more saving).

Old 1 July 2008, 04:36 AM   #10
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Excuse me Sir,you will notice you are in the Panerai discussion form ... !!

Here's one that I KNOW tickles your fancy .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1084.JPG (54.9 KB, 292 views)
Old 1 July 2008, 04:38 AM   #11
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Phew! Nice feature with your being able to cover the GMT hand!

Damn, now I (again - since I made a thread about it a while ago ) want a PAM 270! Today's one of those days where I really need another watch!

I'd prefer automatic PAM's and love the overall design of the PAM 270. If I don't like the Rolex DSSD when I see it in person, I might go for the PAM 270 instead (although it means more saving).
270 ... 10 days/auto/1950s case/9 next to the small seconds dial/curved crystal etc.etc
Old 1 July 2008, 10:39 AM   #12
leopardprey
Banned

Bo, I know you like Rolex as I do also, but after I tried out several other brands it is hard to go back to Rolex. I found several other brands where the watches fit better on the wrist, were a little larger in size and also were not as common.

These brands were: Panerai, Ulysse Nardin, Glashutte Original, Kobold, Blancpain and IWC.

If you are looking for a more traditional dive watch, check out Blancpain's Fifty Fathoms. 45mm case. 6 day Automatic movment. Anti magnetic case. Domed crystal. And remember, Rolex based the design of thier Subs and Seadwellers after the Fifty Fathoms which came out first.
Old 1 July 2008, 01:09 PM   #13
SlowKarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
... and also were not as common...
One of the reason I let go of my Sea Dweller is the number of fakes and copycats look a likes out there. At a glance, the bloody SD looks like some Seiko!!!
SlowKarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2008, 03:41 PM   #14
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
The new Blancpain Fifty Fathoms is a GREAT looking watch...
A little pricey for me right now though....

I have a DSSD on order.

I like the Panerai 10 day but I just feel I would scratch it to death.
I tend to be tough on watches.
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2008, 05:15 PM   #15
Thani
Banned

Watch: Milgauss 116400 GV
bo just buy a pam and be done with it !! its been more than 8 months with you talking about pams lol
Thani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2008, 07:51 PM   #16
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(...)If you are looking for a more traditional dive watch, check out Blancpain's Fifty Fathoms. 45mm case. 6 day Automatic movment. Anti magnetic case. Domed crystal. And remember, Rolex based the design of thier Subs and Seadwellers after the Fifty Fathoms which came out first.
Already looked at it nearly 6 months ago:

"Blancpain "Fifty Fathoms" - Revisited!"

Old 2 July 2008, 01:05 AM   #17
leopardprey
Banned

As for the Fifty Fathoms, you will find it is actually just a couple thousand more than the DSSD. Perasonally, I like the FF more, due to the much longer history and association with various military units. Plus the 6 day power reserve and anti magnetic case and improved shock resistance is a bug plus. Now if looking for a less expensive dive watch with really hard core shock resistance and anti-magnetic case, check out Kobolds Soarway Diver Seal.
Old 2 July 2008, 01:11 PM   #18
ral

Panerai PAM 233 article explaining how the GMT function works.

Panerai PAM 270 article explaining how the GMT function works.

I think your questions have been answered already, but look at the pics of the day/night indicators of both watches.

If you don't like the Rolex DSSD when it comes out, take a look at Panerai's divers watches. Not fond of them myself though.

Last edited by ral; 2 July 2008 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: add
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2008, 09:07 AM   #19
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As for the Fifty Fathoms, you will find it is actually just a couple thousand more than the DSSD. Perasonally, I like the FF more, due to the much longer history and association with various military units. Plus the 6 day power reserve and anti magnetic case and improved shock resistance is a bug plus. Now if looking for a less expensive dive watch with really hard core shock resistance and anti-magnetic case, check out Kobolds Soarway Diver Seal.
Just noted that you're selling your FF in the Classifieds. Why are you selling it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
Panerai PAM 233 article explaining how the GMT function works.

Panerai PAM 270 article explaining how the GMT function works.

I think your questions have been answered already, but look at the pics of the day/night indicators of both watches.

If you don't like the Rolex DSSD when it comes out, take a look at Panerai's divers watches. Not fond of them myself though.
Great links!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 4 July 2008, 09:15 AM   #20
leopardprey
Banned

Financial difficulties.
Old 4 July 2008, 10:28 AM   #21
ral

Quote:
Financial difficulties.
Unfortunately, that is a common problem these days.
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2008, 12:56 AM   #22
Mr_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Okay, I just seemed to have read somewhere that if you're travelling and want to use the GMT function, the GMT hand is moved in the 12 hour increments and not the HOUR hand of the main watch. This would leave you looking at the "home time" when looking at the watch and having to search for the GMT hand to tell the time in the country you're travelling in. Maybe I just got this wrong.
The manual says when setting the time, set both the Home hand and the GMT (black) hand to the same time. When traveling, you then pull the crown out one click and set the Home hand to the time of your destination. In this case the Home hand always states the time where you are and the GMT hand, where you were.

Another way to think about it is the following. I live in the states but deal with friends in London all day and like to know the time there. I set both the Home hand and the GMT (black) hand first to the time here in the states, then adjust them together, setting them both to the same time in London. Putting the crown to the first click, I set the Home hand back to my home time. Now, my watch's Home hand is set to my time in the states and the GMT hand is set to London Time.
Mr_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 04:14 PM   #23
watchboy
"TRF" Member

PAM270 is my ultimate dream PANERAI. I like the size for me (not huge like 47mm) and everything of it. Most of all is the 10 days power reserve (automatic movt), like I always say, so far I do not know if there is another automatic watch which has 10 or more days of power reserve besides the 270.
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2008, 05:57 PM   #24
Mr_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchboy View Post
PAM270 is my ultimate dream PANERAI. I like the size for me (not huge like 47mm) and everything of it. Most of all is the 10 days power reserve (automatic movt), like I always say, so far I do not know if there is another automatic watch which has 10 or more days of power reserve besides the 270.
Just and FYI, my 233 goes just about 10days on a full wind.
Old 6 July 2008, 11:27 PM   #25
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_T View Post
The p2002 is a 10 day movement, I have read two accounts as to why they say it's 8. 1) It's a tip of the hat to history that they wanted to make with their first in-house movement. Read this last spring when they were first reviewed 2) They de-rated it two days is the rate accuracy gets very shaky after 8 days. They feel the self-winding version is better suited for a 10 day rating. Read this in Watchtime reviews of the self-winding version p2003/4.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 12:14 AM   #26
leopardprey
Banned

Correct Bighat, is a 10 day movement, but the Power Reserve Indicator is for 8 days as after 8 days, due to decreased power reserve, the accuracy will start to drop off. I usually end up rewinding mine when it get down to one day left, every 7 days.
Old 7 July 2008, 12:40 AM   #27
Mr_T

I have not experienced any decrease in accuracy as I've been tracking my 233. I've let it cycle to the end several times before winding as well as winding before 5 days. My 233 runs about 2 - 2.5 sec/day with regular consistency regardless how much reserve I use.
Old 7 July 2008, 12:52 AM   #28
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Well, the 270 would definately be THE alternative to me, should I not like the DSSD when I see it in real life. Yes, I know it's like comparing apples to oranges since they are two very different watches. The 270 just seems to have everything I want in a watch:
  • Superdomed crystal
  • Handy GMT function (where the GMT hand can be hidden if you don't need it. Cool feature!
  • Easy-to-read dial (apart from my point below)*
  • Excellent lume
  • Big case
  • Date feature but no cyclops (I never were a big fan of cyclops, also not the inner cyclops Panerai uses.

* as stated earlier, I would have loved minute markers all the way around the dial in order not to have to guess whether it's for instance 12 or 13 minutes past. I know it's part of the "minimalistic" design of the PAM's, but in everyday use, lacking minute markers are not too practical.

I would also have to choose a rubber strap for it. I am allergic to leather bands since many of them contain Chrome. Somehow, this watch would not look right on a steel bracelet, either, imho. Lastly, I like to be able to wash my watches, so a rubber strap it would be.

Old 7 July 2008, 01:21 AM   #29
watchboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_T View Post
Yes I know the 233 has about 10 days movement, I read about that. But it is a HANDWIND movement! I was talking about AUTOMATIC!

Anyway I heard the 233 needs 90-120 to be fully wind! That takes quite a while to wind it.
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2008, 01:26 AM   #30
leopardprey
Banned

BO,

well never have had an issue with determining is 12 or 13. One thing nice about the 233 is it has a Second Reset counter. So when you pull out the crown to adjust the time, the second hand returns to zero. Easy then to align center with one of the 5 minute markers. After your eyes get use to the dial, in about a day, you can easily distiguish between 11, 12, 13, 14, etc.. minutes,

There are are many strap makers, some manufacturing companies and other independant strap makers, that make leather straps that are non-allergic. All depends on type of leather used. The rubber strap that Panerai makes is pretty comfortable as well. There are also some nice aftermarket Mesh bracelets availiable. And I have wonr my 233 with several different Zulu strap that are great.

As for leather getting wet. There are several companys such as Kodiak, Greg Stevens, and Europelli Cordovan that make leather straps from horween leather that are extremely water resistant and designed for prolonged use in fresh or salt water! ANd in general I wear all my leather strap into the pool or shower. No big deal. It is leather, as long as you let it dry naturaully or on your wrist, no big deal. For added protection you can also apply a little boot oil occasionally to the leather strap to keep it nice and water resistant.

I think you would be really happy with a 233 or 270. I personally prefer the manual wind of the 233 and the 233 also cost several thousand cheaper (enough to buy a vintage Pipe and a leather pouch of fine tabbacco!)