The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2015, 11:27 AM   #1
UF2018
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I don't know why this is annoying me so much

I don't know why this is making me so mad... I first aquired my first Rolex a few months ago in July. I posted on here the day I got because I was so ecstatic that that I finally achieved my goal. I'm 19 years old and do not come from wealth at all. I've been working ever since I was able too and after 3 long years of saving saving up for the explorer that caught my eye when I was 16, I was able to buy it. I'm working two part time jobs and pay for everything myself, my college tuition, dorm, food, everything and without any loans. I was so proud of myself, but now my girlfriend of 4 years who I care very much about has all of a sudden started caring about watches. She has worn the same Micheal kors watch for the entire time I have known her. She comes from a moderately wealthy family and today she went home from school after finals and she asked her dad (who bought his first Rolex this year, a rose gold Daytona) for one and within a couple hours she was at the AD and he bought her a brand new datejust with the gold flutted bezel.

For some reason this just bothers me but it shouldn't. In the end we both got what we wanted but I worked so hard to be able to buy a used one from davidsw (I absolute love it) and she just asked not caring about watches and gets a brand new just given to her.

I'm happy for her but annoyed at the same time! Please help me just be happy we now share a common love
UF2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:32 AM   #2
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

let it go, consider yourself fortunate that you could afford the one you earned yourself, there are many who work 2 jobs and still can't pay the rent, let alone buy a Rolex
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:32 AM   #3
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Welcome to life...some work their butts off for things others get handed to them. And some don't get anything at all. I would venture a guess there's a sizable population of students at your school without a Rolex.

The good news: if you keep studying and working hard and quit worrying about what everybody else is getting, you have a bright future in front of you and you can have any watch you want. Or pretty much anything else, for that matter.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:33 AM   #4
Doug T
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 11
You can feel very proud! You should also feel good about your girlfriend also receiving a new Rolex. You both obviously share a common interest but I'm betting that you have more appreciation for yours as you have worked hard to get your Rolex. Good luck.
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:34 AM   #5
Samui
Banned

this is a watch forum not a whining forum
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:38 AM   #6
THC

Watch: 16610M
One word, ..... Women!!!!!!!!!!! However, If this is all you have to fret about, you are doing great, my friend... Bite your lip and say "yes, honey"
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:42 AM   #7
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Strange feeling, I would be very very happy for her without any negative thoughts at all. Think you should be proud of yourself and on her for having a great taste. She likes Rolexes and she likes you
Old 17 December 2015, 11:46 AM   #8
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Ode to the movie Frozen. "Let it go ....let it go"

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:47 AM   #9
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
You will always have a deeper appreciation for your watch, but, at the same time, can not fault or judge another for the manner in which they acquired their watch. If you were really proud of yourself, your girlfriend's gift wouldn't bother you.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:47 AM   #10
UF2018
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Strange feeling, I would be very very happy for her without any negative thoughts at all. Think you should be proud of yourself and on her for having a great taste. She likes Rolexes and she likes you
Haha very true my friend!
Old 17 December 2015, 11:48 AM   #11
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
1. You need to give yourself a pat on the back and count yourself blessed for being able to work hard and achieve a goal that many wish they could achieve when many people your age are barely getting by. You will enjoy and cherish that watch so much more because you worked hard for it.
2. you should be happy for your girl friend that she came from a family that not only has the means but care enough for her that her dad lavish such a gift on her.
Life is not fair, look at some of the people who are so much worse off than you; some can only wish they can find work and pay rent.
Enjoy your watch and don't compare yourself to others, count your blessings, you will be much happier and content.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Andad

Watch: A few.
Consider yourself as just one more enabler on TRF and don't sweat it Andrew.

When I see a watch I like my wife usually says 'I'll buy it for you'.

You may be heading down that track.........

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:48 AM   #13
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

That's just the way life is my friend. You should be incredibly proud of your accomplishments at such a young age. You are obviously very focused and driven. I have no doubt that you will be successful in whatever you decide to do in life! A good work ethic is certainly not common in todays youth, at least not the ones I know. Enjoy the watch and also be happy that you and your girlfriend share a common interest!
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:55 AM   #15
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
I would feel incredibly satisfied and proud in your shoes, regardless. Major congrats for your achievement!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2015, 11:55 AM   #16
asleep
"TRF" Member

So, do you think you should dump her for a girl who comes from a poor family?

That will solve this problem... won't it? A nice girl with an insignificant watch?
asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 11:58 AM   #17
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Well at the least she didn't demand it from u causing u to sell your explorer lol
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:01 PM   #18
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Those we love, and their happiness, is what is most important in life. Share in her joy, and you should celebrate that you have a common interest.

Its not a competition, especially with your partner.
Colin10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Syed117
"TRF" Member

For every one person you see with more than you, there are countless others in the world with much much less.

Always look at those with less and be grateful for what you have.

Most people could never even think about spending thousands on even a used rolex.
Old 17 December 2015, 12:02 PM   #20
UF2018
"TRF" Member

These are all very true statements, thanks everyone! What I think I am annoyed with is that I didn't get to go with her and experience this with her. I am still at school for a few days and missed this
Old 17 December 2015, 12:08 PM   #21
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
This type of attitude will not do you any good in any situation, with any person in your life, but especially your significant other.

As others have mentioned, you MUST let this go.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:09 PM   #22
ddaly12
"TRF" Member

She will NEVER love her watch like you love yours.

That's too bad.

I pity her.
ddaly12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:09 PM   #23
FTX I
"TRF" Member

She wants your attention and a common hobby is a great way to get that kind of thing so don't miss the chance of enjoying this with her. However, if this turns out to be a teenager competition just forget this watch bs and go spend your money travelling together.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:11 PM   #24
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
You can comfort yourself that your Rolex will always feel better on than hers ever will. Be glad that if she's a keeper and you continue to be successful more Rolexes are in your future. Congrats on your hard work, it will always get you what you want and need in life.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:11 PM   #25
slickrick68
"TRF" Member

Watch: anything shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF2018 View Post
I don't know why this is making me so mad... I first aquired my first Rolex a few months ago in July. I posted on here the day I got because I was so ecstatic that that I finally achieved my goal. I'm 19 years old and do not come from wealth at all. I've been working ever since I was able too and after 3 long years of saving saving up for the explorer that caught my eye when I was 16, I was able to buy it. I'm working two part time jobs and pay for everything myself, my college tuition, dorm, food, everything and without any loans. I was so proud of myself, but now my girlfriend of 4 years who I care very much about has all of a sudden started caring about watches. She has worn the same Micheal kors watch for the entire time I have known her. She comes from a moderately wealthy family and today she went home from school after finals and she asked her dad (who bought his first Rolex this year, a rose gold Daytona) for one and within a couple hours she was at the AD and he bought her a brand new datejust with the gold flutted bezel.

For some reason this just bothers me but it shouldn't. In the end we both got what we wanted but I worked so hard to be able to buy a used one from davidsw (I absolute love it) and she just asked not caring about watches and gets a brand new just given to her.

I'm happy for her but annoyed at the same time! Please help me just be happy we now share a common love
You live in titletown with fabulous weather, educational opportunities galore, and a gf who likes watches, you got it made. Enjoy life in gville my friend.
slickrick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:12 PM   #26
kleungsf
"TRF" Member

Enjoy the watch. You worked hard to get your watch and it will be yours as long as you choose. For her it is just fancy jewelry. At least you didn't have buy it for her 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kleungsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:17 PM   #27
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Talk it through with her.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:19 PM   #28
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Welcome to the real world. Life isn't fair.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:24 PM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
For every one person you see with more than you, there are countless others in the world with much much less.

Always look at those with less and be grateful for what you have.

Most people could never even think about spending thousands on even a used rolex.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 12:25 PM   #30
GEORGE505
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
1. You need to give yourself a pat on the back and count yourself blessed for being able to work hard and achieve a goal that many wish they could achieve when many people your age are barely getting by. You will enjoy and cherish that watch so much more because you worked hard for it.
2. you should be happy for your girl friend that she came from a family that not only has the means but care enough for her that her dad lavish such a gift on her.
Life is not fair, look at some of the people who are so much worse off than you; some can only wish they can find work and pay rent.
Enjoy your watch and don't compare yourself to others, count your blessings, you will be much happier and content.
X2 totally agree.
GEORGE505 is offline   Reply With Quote