The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2016, 11:11 AM   #1
zolmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: some Piagets
Not happy with Rolex or Tiffany in NYC

I have a Datejust that I bought at Tiffany's Fifth Ave store about 1983.
It is 18k. gold with President bracelet. Because it has "Tiffany" on the dial, it is worth a little more than a normal one. I didn't keep "the papers" when I bought it. Two weeks ago, I personally visited both stores in NY and asked them if they would provide "authentication service." (For a fee, of course.) Neither would. Tiffany just didn't want to deal with me at all and Rolex (I first went to their store on Fifth Ave...and they sent me upstairs, around the corner to "service") said that they would write up a "description for insurance purposes" for $150. that would describe it...and the dial as being "satin", but that they would NOT mention that it also says "Tiffany." Both places examined the watch carefully in the back room and NEITHER INFERRED THAT IT WAS NOT GENUINE (which it, of course IS...since I am the original purchaser, I know where I bought it). Both places were VERY polite and professional. But, I don't care what internecine feud they have/had (obviously Rolex doesn't want to even remember that they once branded with "Tiffany"). They shouldn't take it out on me (their customer). That Rolex can look at my watch and see that it is genuine...and not be willing to state it, is poor customer service.Rolex.jpg
zolmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
That thing looks beautiful to me brother. Nice piece!
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:39 AM   #3
HiloBeMagical
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 6205
"I didn't keep "the papers" when I bought it."

Curse the lesson, bless the knowledge.
HiloBeMagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:42 AM   #4
johneh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Why didn't you try the RSC? Also, if you were the original purchaser, did you not keep all the papers?
Old 30 January 2016, 11:42 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
That thing looks beautiful to me brother. Nice piece!
x2.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Sorry to hear that but why exactly does it matter? Are you trying to sell the watch?

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by etschell View Post
sorry to hear that but why exactly does it matter? Are you trying to sell the watch?

+1
Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:52 AM   #8
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
Why didn't you try the RSC? Also, if you were the original purchaser, did you not keep all the papers?
He was at the RSC.

OP-While you were there RSC, why didn't you just pay the $150 for the description. At least you would have something from Rolex.

Whatever you do, don't let Rolex service it, you might just lose that dial.

That is a real beauty.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 11:53 AM   #9
zolmo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the nice words. I have been thinking of selling. I really like the small Explorer I's.
Old 30 January 2016, 11:58 AM   #10
Sublover2166
Banned

Watch: Ol'Bluesy & Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by zolmo View Post
Thanks for the nice words. I have been thinking of selling. I really like the small Explorer I's.
Become a pledge member here on the forum and list it for sale here. You would most likely get the best price and serious offers from folks who peruse the for sale section. just a thought.
Sublover2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 12:00 PM   #11
nick c
Banned

Love it so nice
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 12:23 PM   #12
UNLVino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15203 & 18038
Very nice! May I ask - what was the fate of the box and papers? Were they just tossed as unnecessary or lost in another way?
UNLVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 12:27 PM   #13
zolmo
"TRF" Member

I was just a young man who wanted the watch. I didn't think of the value of the papers. I just didn't keep that kind of thing. Now everyone has kept the Barbies in their perfect boxes, but I wasn't living that life.
Old 30 January 2016, 12:30 PM   #14
zolmo
"TRF" Member

I've never thought of offering it for sale. How would anyone believe that it is not a fake...without proper papers? That's why I visited Rolex. I thought that they could see that it's genuine in an instant and, for a fee, would authenticate it. Nope...they didn't want to comment on it.
Old 30 January 2016, 12:31 PM   #15
arguetaoscar
"TRF" Member

If you just want an statement from Rolex confirming is authentic, ask for a service estimate. They open the watch and check the mechanics condition, bracelet, etc.. Then you decline the service and that's it, now you have a Rolex document with serial number, condition, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arguetaoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 12:34 PM   #16
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Not sure what the problem is? you say you are not selling it then you admit you are selling it?

so what's the big deal??

It's never been serviced in over 30 years?
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 12:35 PM   #17
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
It's a a beautiful watch, gorgeous dial. You can sell it as is. Best of luck
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 12:42 PM   #18
zolmo
"TRF" Member

But if Rolex describes the watch...in detail...even what the dial looks like...and doesn't state that "Tiffany" is on the dial, that almost goes AGAINST what I was trying to get certified (it could be a real Rolex with a fake, aftermarket "Tiffany" dial). My whole journey was not to certify that it is a real Rolex, but that it is a "Tiffany" Rolex. They explicitly told me that their statement-of-description would say "satin dial" and not mention "Tiffany."
Old 30 January 2016, 12:44 PM   #19
zolmo
"TRF" Member

I haven't offered it for sale, but the point of going into Rolex was to have "papers" so that it has a certified value, if I decide to sell it.
Old 30 January 2016, 12:48 PM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Yes they each are lousy with their treatment of customers.

It's a great watch, Rolex did not challenge its authenticity.

Just keep on truckin'
Old 30 January 2016, 12:48 PM   #21
zolmo
"TRF" Member

Thank you.
Old 30 January 2016, 12:51 PM   #22
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you had spent more time on TRF you would know that Tiffany Rolex watches must have the original Tiffany receipt and box to prove that they are indeed a Tiffany watch.

Neither Tiffany nor Rolex tracked any watches that were sold by Tiffany. Without the provenance it's just another watch with graffiti on the dial.
Old 30 January 2016, 01:04 PM   #23
zolmo
"TRF" Member

I don't expect "tracking." I expect that if they hold it in their hand and they certify (not only the watch, but also the dial), as genuine...as they did orally, that they would put their words in writing. "Tracking" is way off the subject.
Old 30 January 2016, 01:39 PM   #24
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
If you had spent more time on TRF you would know that Tiffany Rolex watches must have the original Tiffany receipt and box to prove that they are indeed a Tiffany watch.

Neither Tiffany nor Rolex tracked any watches that were sold by Tiffany. Without the provenance it's just another watch with graffiti on the dial.
Quote:
I don't expect "tracking." I expect that if they hold it in their hand and they certify (not only the watch, but also the dial), as genuine...as they did orally, that they would put their words in writing. "Tracking" is way off the subject.
Does Rolex keep a detailed log of all the watches they sell and their serial numbers like Patek does? Without this kind of archival system, I think it is a lot to ask them to "authenticate" the watch.

Since you are the original owner, you know it is in its original state you purchased it without any modifications. However there is nothing to prevent someone with a non-Tiffany DJ to have purchased an aftermarket dial and just swapped it out. Or someone with an original Tiffany dial could have purchased a different dial and swapped it out and sold the original dial. There seems to be quite a few permutations available here. So I am wondering if Rolex can truly "authenticate" a watch and say this watch originally came with a Tiffany dial unless they kept an archive of that information with the serial numbers.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 01:47 PM   #25
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You need to listen to the advice people are giving you.

Quote:
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 01:52 PM   #26
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Real dials can have the Tiffany text added to it. So just because it is a real dial does not mean the Tiffany wording is real.
I believe your story 100 percent but without the paperwork it is impossible to prove.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 02:02 PM   #27
zolmo
"TRF" Member

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. My point is that they wouldn't write what they said.
Old 30 January 2016, 02:17 PM   #28
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
It's more of an issue with Tiffany's. They should do it since they stamped the name on the dial but in my experience, they don't certify or authenticate anything and I will never pay a Tiffany's tax on anything they don't make themselves.

When I was scheduling certain items for insurance, I wanted to add my wife's diamond earrings with Tiffany's clearly stamped on the back. We have the receipt but it's over 10 years old and obviously the price has gone up considerably since then. I brought it to the flagship and they would only write up a description with the price we paid which was utterly useless.

Aside from a few items, they're basically a reseller of other people's products and stamps their name on it so they they can charges a premium.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 02:34 PM   #29
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Be serious. Half of the employees at the Tiffany store probably weren't even born yet in 1983, never mind being able to identify whether a watch dial text is authentic or not.

If you would've gotten the description or a service estimate from RSC and the document didn't say something like "replace aftermarket (or modified) dial", I think that would lend some credibility to your situation as they do require replacement of such items if they're going to service your watch..

At any rate, isn't it the Tiffany dial Subs & GMT's that bring the big bucks? How much is the premium on a president? I don't really follow the non-sport models.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2016, 03:32 PM   #30
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

The potentially added value that an authenticated Tiffany dial adds to this particular piece isn't worth the heartburn....so none of this really matters. Sorry
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote