The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2016, 11:17 AM   #1
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Please answer my iPhone question...

Firstly, let me say that I am not a computer expert....far from it. Three years ago (slightly late to the party) I got my first iPhone and iPad. I learned to love the apple setup, and now it is all I use (no pc, no mac, just iPad).

I had an iPhone 5 to start with, and for the last 18 months I've had a 6. Looking at the two phones side-by-side I slightly prefer the 5....I find the buttons easier on the 5, and I'm less likely to switch the ringer off by mistake. That said, my eyesight is not getting any better, and the slightly larger screen of the 6 is handy.

Now I'm looking at changing phone again, and I've been comparing the new 7 to the SE (which I believe is basically the body of the 5 with the insides of a 6S).

I use my iPhone mostly for phone calls, texting, taking photos, and checking emails and things on the internet whilst on the move.

So which iPhone should I buy? the price difference is $300 (which is not an important factor). I would really appreciate hearing your views on which to get and why.

Thank you.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Angrypuppy
"TRF" Member

Both my kids have the SE. If your eyes are OK with it, it's a great phone.
Old 17 October 2016, 11:24 AM   #3
multimedia
"TRF" Member

If the price difference is not an important factor, then I say go with the new model (7).

I still use my 6 Plus, and I don't really see the reason why I should upgrade to the 7. But if I had the 5 and where thinking about doing the switch to a new phone, then I would definitely change to the 7. Reason; it's the latest model. As simple as that = it's a bit faster, the camera is a tiny bit better, etc. What it comes down to at the end, is if you would be comfortable with the size difference. I think it took me less than a day, same for my wife when we went from 5 to 6 Plus. Personally, I would never change to a smaller phone now when I'm used to it.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 17 October 2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Charlie3755
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520:18239:16750
I gave up my 6s for the SE. Just preferred the size. Everything else is either the same or better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Charlie3755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 11:29 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I have the 6 plus but my next iPhone will be the smaller size. It is just easier to tuck into my jeans pocket, etc.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 11:41 AM   #6
tomj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II 41
I've had the 7 for a week as an upgrade to my 6S. I'm probably going to return it and stay with the 6S owing to the inability to charge and listen to audio at the same time.

The one thing which might change my mind however is the splash resistance of the 7. I accidentally dropped it in a little water this morning and became upset. I then remembered its imperviousness to water, which made me think twice about taking it back to the Apple Store.

And OTOH, the SE is a great phone. Plenty of my friends have downgraded from the 6/6S to the SE given its smaller form factor and greater "phone-ness".

Best of luck either way!

tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 11:47 AM   #7
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Even though I have a 6S and 7, I prefer the size of the 5 or SE. I'd like to have one for my business phone.

The only reasons I don't have one is that I use facetime a lot and the front camera sucks. I also use 3D touch but the SE doesn't have it. I hope Apple continues to make the SE and even update the looks but I imagine it cannibalizes their business flagship iphone business.
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Even though I have a 6S and 7, I prefer the size of the 5 or SE. I'd like to have one for my business phone.

The only reasons I don't have one is that I use facetime a lot and the front camera sucks. I also use 3D touch but the SE doesn't have it. I hope Apple continues to make the SE and even update the looks but I imagine it cannibalizes their business flagship iphone business.
Would you kindly explain what 3D Touch is? Thank you.

Old 17 October 2016, 12:33 PM   #9
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Please forget that....I got it!

Old 17 October 2016, 12:37 PM   #10
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtar...Apple-3D-Touch

It's something you won't like if you like to press hard on the screen to open things...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 12:37 PM   #11
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Its a feature where you can firmly press on an app's icon as a shortcut to some of it's most popular features. For example, if I press firmly on google maps icon, a window will pop up for me to chose directions to home or work. You can also press firmly on a message in your inbox and preview the message without having to open the whole message.

It comes in handy and I use it countless times a day
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 12:38 PM   #12
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
Its a feature where you can firmly press on an app's icon as a shortcut to some of it's most popular features. For example, if I press firmly on google maps icon, a window will pop up for me to chose directions to home or work. You can also press firmly on a message in your inbox and preview the message without having to open the whole message.

It comes in handy and I use it countless times a day
Thanks very much

Old 17 October 2016, 12:44 PM   #13
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
3D Touch uses the quantum mechanical effect called tunneling, where sub-atomic particles have a small, but very real probability of appearing in different positions at the same time. Really cool.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 12:49 PM   #14
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well, 3D Touch isn't on a par with Q-mechanics. It was an improvement to Force Touch if you remember that technology.
It's just a capacitor layer under the gorilla glass > http://www.macworld.com/article/2992...ally-work.html

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 12:57 PM   #15
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Sure do like the size of my 7 plus coming from a 5s. I can actually text accurately now!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 01:08 PM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
You sound like a phone user who also reads texts and emails. If you aren't going to become immersed in apps, you should be looking at the SE.

I have old eyes as well and fixed that problem on my 5S by bumping up the text size. The larger size of the 7 is great for apps, but not great if you like the one handedness of the SE's size, or the ease of dropping the phone into a trouser pocket.

My wife has a 6S+, which is easily carried in her purse. I don't use a purse, so the phablets don't work for me.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 01:16 PM   #17
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
I went to the 6+ when it came out and love the size. I'd give the larger phone a try. I know very few that have not loved it once they switched. Currently using the 7+.
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 04:06 PM   #18
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks Guys for your advice and opinions. Much appreciated.

Old 17 October 2016, 08:21 PM   #19
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Clive - If you can hang on until next year.

From what i've read there is going to be a major revamp to the iPhone next year with the iPhone 8. It's the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone so all predictions are that they are holding back for it's release. (hence why the iPhone 7 only had minor upgrades).

I have a 6 and my wife a 5 so i'm going to hang on and get 2 x 8's once they are released. No doubt, they will come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 09:59 PM   #20
Carrera911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy (126613LB)
It just doesn't make any sense to get the 7. Further more I think the 6S is now the best deal ever because it's discounted, has more GB of storage on the basic model and you still get to use to earphones port.

My next phone won't be an iPhone - Just because of that earphone port removal.

Edit: My girlfriend got the 6S 32GB yesterday. Very happy with her deal.
Old 17 October 2016, 11:22 PM   #21
balta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Firstly, let me say that I am not a computer expert....far from it. Three years ago (slightly late to the party) I got my first iPhone and iPad. I learned to love the apple setup, and now it is all I use (no pc, no mac, just iPad).

I had an iPhone 5 to start with, and for the last 18 months I've had a 6. Looking at the two phones side-by-side I slightly prefer the 5....I find the buttons easier on the 5, and I'm less likely to switch the ringer off by mistake. That said, my eyesight is not getting any better, and the slightly larger screen of the 6 is handy.

Now I'm looking at changing phone again, and I've been comparing the new 7 to the SE (which I believe is basically the body of the 5 with the insides of a 6S).

I use my iPhone mostly for phone calls, texting, taking photos, and checking emails and things on the internet whilst on the move.

So which iPhone should I buy? the price difference is $300 (which is not an important factor). I would really appreciate hearing your views on which to get and why.

Thank you.

You should take the SE!
It is handier, it is absolutely sufficient for your use and most important you will get most out of your money.

The size if the letters is adjustable to your preference as well as you can use your gadgets of iPhone 5.

I hope to respond on your questions and Im looking forward to your feedback

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
balta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 11:37 PM   #22
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Still using the 6+. Almost pulled the trigger on the 7+ but as others have stated, waiting for fall for the 8.
A bunch of our managers like the SE. I use my phone on here most of the time so like the size of the 7+ for the forum.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2016, 11:58 PM   #23
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I "upgraded" to the 7+ (from a 6+) for two reasons: 1) better camera and 2) water resistance. The 7+ is a better travel phone IMO. But then again I've had every new release since the beginning.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 12:56 AM   #24
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I have a 6+ and chose not to upgrade. We are waiting for the 8 release next year besides the 6+ does everything I want it to very well.

I just bought my daughter a 64gb SE and she loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 October 2016, 01:37 PM   #25
USALV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj View Post
I've had the 7 for a week as an upgrade to my 6S. I'm probably going to return it and stay with the 6S owing to the inability to charge and listen to audio at the same time.

The one thing which might change my mind however is the splash resistance of the 7. I accidentally dropped it in a little water this morning and became upset. I then remembered its imperviousness to water, which made me think twice about taking it back to the Apple Store.

And OTOH, the SE is a great phone. Plenty of my friends have downgraded from the 6/6S to the SE given its smaller form factor and greater "phone-ness".

Best of luck either way!

This is coming out some so that you will be able to listening to music and charge your phone at the same time.

Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar™

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/...4EB96F4F8AA26/
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2016, 04:00 PM   #26
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My wife and I both had iPhone 6s and were due an upgrade. We actually went to the SE. We felt the size was better when carrying in pocket yet still offers everything the other model did. Features etc are great as is the camera. Overall we love our SEs. The lower price was a great bonus too.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote