The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 November 2016, 02:09 AM   #1
Alford78
"TRF" Member

5167 stopping randomly

I've had my 5167 for aprox 6-8 months and ran like a champ for the first 7 months, but over the past month it's stopped running during the middle of the night while on my wrist. I always sleep with a watch on unless it's gold and have never had a problem until now.

It's happened 3 times now so feel that I need to figure out what is going on with it. It's close to the end of warranty if not already past. I will check tonight about the warranty.

Any clues? I've searched the web but not really much info out there. Any and all help would be great!

Thanks all!
Alex
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 03:17 AM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Assuming you’re still wearing it, make sure it is fully wound – 20-30 turns of the crown should suffice, otherwise 50-60 turns if it's stopped.

Leave it off, but set the time as accurately as you can against time.is
If it’s still running the following morning, that’s good for a start, and leave it off for the rest of the day to see if it’s still running 24 hours after you set the time.
If it is, and the time difference is only 2-3 secs off, then I’d be more inclined to think the couple of times it’s stopped overnight, is a result of it not having enough power reserve – you just weren’t active enough the previous day or two.

However, if it stops overnight again or before 24 hours have lapsed, then you definitely have an issue, which you should report to HSWA, and detailing what you’ve done to replicate it.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 04:31 AM   #3
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Assuming you’re still wearing it, make sure it is fully wound – 20-30 turns of the crown should suffice, otherwise 50-60 turns if it's stopped.

Leave it off, but set the time as accurately as you can against time.is
If it’s still running the following morning, that’s good for a start, and leave it off for the rest of the day to see if it’s still running 24 hours after you set the time.
If it is, and the time difference is only 2-3 secs off, then I’d be more inclined to think the couple of times it’s stopped overnight, is a result of it not having enough power reserve – you just weren’t active enough the previous day or two.

However, if it stops overnight again or before 24 hours have lapsed, then you definitely have an issue, which you should report to HSWA, and detailing what you’ve done to replicate it.

Roger that! Will give it a go and see what happens.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 07:52 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you are just out of warranty make a fuss and insist they do it under warranty as a goodwill gesture, and add that you are on the forums and will report on their conduct.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 08:15 AM   #5
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you are just out of warranty make a fuss and insist they do it under warranty as a goodwill gesture, and add that you are on the forums and will report on their conduct.
You want a 'good will gesture' then basically threaten them? That's not a great approach IMHO.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 10:23 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

AK797 that is a bit much. He can simply flip it and choose another brand. That's what I'd do.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 11:47 PM   #7
Tourbeon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
I always sleep with a watch on unless it's gold and have never had a problem until now.
I wondered if I was the only one
Tourbeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2016, 11:56 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
You want a 'good will gesture' then basically threaten them? That's not a great approach IMHO.
Not a threat, merely holding them to public account. We have heard many bad stories on PP lately so would be nice to have a positive one and you can word it nicely like that to them. At first.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote