The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 November 2016, 09:55 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Devon Tread 2

Hi all,

I have always been interested in alternative ways to tell time, but either the price is too high or the size makes them unwearable.
I like the Devon Tread 2 watch, either the ghost or the shining, which are these 2 on the pics.
Has anyone ever saw them in real? What did you think of them?
I am waiting for a reply for them, if they have it I might get it, found the shining one, the second and third pic, for 7.900 euros, I imagine it is possible to get it for a little less, probably for 7.500...

Thanks for your opinions

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG
Ok the third pic didn't work, basically it's the second pic
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 09:58 PM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Look forward to incoming.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 10:38 PM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

They replied that they can get them, I asked at what price would be the Ghost (first pic) as I prefer it slightly to the Shining.
Anyways I think it would be a really cool and fun watch to have, contrarily to the Tread 1, it doesn't have the second hand working all the time, but when you want to know the time you push the pusher and it moves and gets to the right time, so you can enjoy the visual aspect, and it has a chrono mode as well as a running second mode which uses the minute belt, and it has a cool looking tonneau shape, so all in all a rather interesting watch, though I never thought I would be interested by a power run watch made in the USA, but in all fairness it is very far from traditional watches...
Old 19 November 2016, 10:54 PM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Looks interesting, trying to find a vid to see how it works
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 10:57 PM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Looks interesting, trying to find a vid to see how it works
here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh2S3FKwjHc
Old 20 November 2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
It is a cool watch

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 09:39 AM   #7
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Clearly unique and different. I saw a couple of these a year or so ago. I just worry whether the novelty of the piece might wear off over time?
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 09:51 AM   #8
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I would find it hard to tell time, but I am old and set in my ways. It is interesting looking, that is for sure.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 12:53 PM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Clearly unique and different. I saw a couple of these a year or so ago. I just worry whether the novelty of the piece might wear off over time?
Well it's not a watch for a real rotation, it's more like a very fun watch, if I was super rich and didn't care for resale I would get a Urwerk 105 Black Knight, tried it on in real, very reasonable size it wear quite well, but 50K+ (on grey market, retail for a normal edition 105 is 69K euros) is impossible for me to justify, it's almost the price of my 5712 plus 5167R...
So basically the Devon is a good mix between fun watch, ok price and ok wearability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I would find it hard to tell time, but I am old and set in my ways. It is interesting looking, that is for sure.
I don't think it is so hard, the numbers are quite big, and you have an hour and minute frame, which is cool is the minute band which turns into running seconds, and both bands which turn into chrono when you want, if it didn't have these 2 functions not sure I would be interested in it.
Old 20 November 2016, 01:52 PM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Did you just see them or get to handle them? What was your impression on the build quality? They seem to be comfortable from what I have seen, would like to know how well finished they are as I have looked but didn't find any shop in Paris, much less Odessa, who seems to carry them, the guys I can get them from is in the UK
Old 20 November 2016, 02:20 PM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I just looked at them through the case. I thought very interesting but would not seriously consider so did not ask. Plus with significant other so limited time... :)
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 02:36 PM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Which one do you prefer? Seens my 2 favorite are these, the ghost is on rubber while the DLC one is black leather, I seem to prefer the DLC but maybe having 2 fun watches in black is not the best thing, thanks for telling me which is the one you would take.

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG
Old 20 November 2016, 02:58 PM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Ok the Ghost seems to have been a prototype and is unavailable, so that means I will try getting the DLC with blue accents, my 2 fun watches will be black but I find it much cooler than the other models...
Old 20 November 2016, 03:17 PM   #14
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Get the first model. Wears XXL on the wrist but that's iconic n what the Devon brand is all about. The wrap around sapphire glass looks super cool. I own one few years back. Need a charge every other day if you play with it as often as I did. ps the movement is quite loud n noisy when the conveyor belt is running. Mind you the I bought brand new n flip few months later to a fellow collector. Didn't lost much. So since it will be your "fun" watch why not go all the way! Looking toward to your coming soon!

HAGWE
James
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 03:37 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
Get the first model. Wears XXL on the wrist but that's iconic n what the Devon brand is all about. The wrap around sapphire glass looks super cool. I own one few years back. Need a charge every other day if you play with it as often as I did. ps the movement is quite loud n noisy when the conveyor belt is running. Mind you the I bought brand new n flip few months later to a fellow collector. Didn't lost much. So since it will be your "fun" watch why not go all the way! Looking toward to your coming soon!

HAGWE
James
Thanks James, the first one is nice but I like the Steampunk version, and basically it's 20K, a little too much for a battery powered watch IMO, and it still is too big, plus if I got it I would probably almost never wear it, the Tread 2 is a good mix of price, size and coolness which I really like, plus the Motown Nights model is a LE of 50 pieces and I really like the look of it. For me the Tread 2 has the cool aspects of the Tread 1, in a more wearable size and at a better price. Also since I can't afford a RM, having a tonneau shaped watch is kinda cool.
Since I know you and your better half have amazing pieces, what did you think of the build quality and finishing of the Tread 1? Of course I am not expecting PP or AP quality but is it still high quality? The articles I have read about them say yes...

HAGWE to you too
Old 20 November 2016, 04:30 PM   #16
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

They're cool looking. But it's a huge watch. I'm surprised you're interested because I thought you found the Milles and some APs too big.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2016, 06:06 PM   #17
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
They're cool looking. But it's a huge watch. I'm surprised you're interested because I thought you found the Milles and some APs too big.
As far as I know they are 40/44 and 14.5 in height, seems ok, I can wear a AP 44 without problems, at 6.9 a,d flat my wrist is rather good for quite many watches, wore 44 Pams for a few years, seems to me as a fun watch it is not so big, plus it weighs only 90 grams and is said to be very comfortable, would like to see it in real but that seems quite hard, plus if they have the DLC with blue there were only 50 made, and it looks way cooler than the others, if they have it I will get it 100%, if they don't then not sure which to take...
Old 20 November 2016, 11:14 PM   #18
regnant
"TRF" Member

I find Devon as a brand very cool but movement needs to be recharged in their watches. I have not seen them in person but Tread 1 definitely got my attention and appreciation
Old 21 November 2016, 07:34 AM   #19
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

When I've seen them in person they've appeared to be much larger than my AP or Mille but maybe it's trompe l'oiel.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 08:46 AM   #20
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Ok the Ghost seems to have been a prototype and is unavailable, so that means I will try getting the DLC with blue accents, my 2 fun watches will be black but I find it much cooler than the other models...
Personally, Arnaud, I honestly think you’re daft for throwing €6K at a toy watch, but...on that note, what about the Bloody Mary instead?

If you really didn’t fancy a DLC case, you could always contact Devon directly and ask if they’d put the BM in a regular case, and buy through WoM still.
You might even prefer the full red rubber or leather strap, normally seen on the all DLC’d Murder.

I was going to suggest you spent a lot less on an HD3 Slyde, but as they went to the wall last year, I’d have concerns that even a €2K spend could possibly end up being nothing more than junk in a drawer, at some point in the not too distant future.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 11:09 AM   #21
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks

I have to admit, I kind of like it.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 11:27 AM   #22
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
I saw some in tourneau on 57th street today. They are huge!
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 11:40 AM   #23
Attydude
"TRF" Member

I have the the Godiva.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0640.jpg (90.0 KB, 115 views)
Attydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 11:52 AM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Interesting ... Never heard of them till now.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2016, 08:41 PM   #25
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
When I've seen them in person they've appeared to be much larger than my AP or Mille but maybe it's trompe l'oiel.
You are talking about this model, the Tread 2? of course the first is just huge, this one seems less

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Personally, Arnaud, I honestly think you’re daft for throwing €6K at a toy watch, but...on that note, what about the Bloody Mary instead?
Well I have always liked alternative ways of telling time, the problem is they are not cheap at all, in a perfect world I would get a Urwerk 105 in black, really cool watch and very small, only small problem, retail for new is 69K, on grey market around 45-50 for unworn, didn't see a used one yet, so that is too much money for me clearly.
Not sure I would qualify it as a toy watch, though it does have a little of that. In any case I decided that there is one which I like, the Motown Nights, if they can get it I will do it, if they can't not sure there is another which I like enough to buy, the Ghost is my favorite, but turns out it was just a prototype, and the other is the Motown, so we will see if it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
I saw some in tourneau on 57th street today. They are huge!
Would you say same size or bigger than RM 011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attydude View Post
I have the the Godiva.
Nice, what is your wrist size?
How would you qualify the quality and finishing? Is the case, strap and buckle at a comparable level like Rolex for example or is the finishing not as nice?
If you could tell me as an owner what you think of it that would be great, I read the articles but not one talks about the case quality or other things like that, all say how the system is super cool...

Old 21 November 2016, 08:52 PM   #26
lapince
"TRF" Member

Ok, I found the dimensions for a RM 011, first it is 16.5 thick, where the Devon is 14.5, so I think it is easier to wear
Old 21 November 2016, 11:34 PM   #27
Attydude
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are talking about this model, the Tread 2? of course the first is just huge, this one seems less

Well I have always liked alternative ways of telling time, the problem is they are not cheap at all, in a perfect world I would get a Urwerk 105 in black, really cool watch and very small, only small problem, retail for new is 69K, on grey market around 45-50 for unworn, didn't see a used one yet, so that is too much money for me clearly.
Not sure I would qualify it as a toy watch, though it does have a little of that. In any case I decided that there is one which I like, the Motown Nights, if they can get it I will do it, if they can't not sure there is another which I like enough to buy, the Ghost is my favorite, but turns out it was just a prototype, and the other is the Motown, so we will see if it is possible.

Would you say same size or bigger than RM 011?

Nice, what is your wrist size?
How would you qualify the quality and finishing? Is the case, strap and buckle at a comparable level like Rolex for example or is the finishing not as nice?
If you could tell me as an owner what you think of it that would be great, I read the articles but not one talks about the case quality or other things like that, all say how the system is super cool...

I have small wrists. It's a nice watch but as whether or not it's comparable to a Rolex, apparently one mine is a fake so I obviously wouldn't be a good judge.:: Took me forever to get a time set. It's pretty complicated. But overall I'm enjoying it.
Attydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2016, 05:33 AM   #28
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I love the look of them and also enjoy interesting movements and ways to tell time such as jumping hours or this belt drive system.

I definitely prefer the Tread 1 with the constant seconds.

I suggest you do research and be very careful though. The main thing that puts me off is that over the years I have seen these come up for sale a LOT. They seem to get flipped often. That isn't necessarily bad as discounts can be had.

The thing that always bugged me that no matter how old the watch was it seemed that EVERY single one was listed as "just returned from service". It gave me the feeling that the movement is not robust and always has problems.

Just my own feeling and $0.02 but it has kept me from owning one.
Old 22 November 2016, 11:28 AM   #29
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, I found the dimensions for a RM 011, first it is 16.5 thick, where the Devon is 14.5, so I think it is easier to wear
Lapince, in regards to RM, don't assume anything when it comes to size. Most comfortable watch I've ever owned--by far.

So if this one is smaller doesn't mean it's 'easier to wear'.

Go grab one if you like it, what are you waiting on?
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2016, 02:53 PM   #30
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I love the look of them and also enjoy interesting movements and ways to tell time such as jumping hours or this belt drive system.

I definitely prefer the Tread 1 with the constant seconds.

I suggest you do research and be very careful though. The main thing that puts me off is that over the years I have seen these come up for sale a LOT. They seem to get flipped often. That isn't necessarily bad as discounts can be had.

The thing that always bugged me that no matter how old the watch was it seemed that EVERY single one was listed as "just returned from service". It gave me the feeling that the movement is not robust and always has problems.

Just my own feeling and $0.02 but it has kept me from owning one.
Well I went on chrono24 and if I remember correctly only one is used, the others are new.
If they break frequently that kinda sucks, but having different motors to move the bands and a lithium battery, make the possibilities of needing repairs higher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Lapince, in regards to RM, don't assume anything when it comes to size. Most comfortable watch I've ever owned--by far.

So if this one is smaller doesn't mean it's 'easier to wear'.

Go grab one if you like it, what are you waiting on?
Well I am waiting to know if they can get me the one I want, not a huge fan of the others