The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 April 2006, 06:13 AM   #1
Atomic

What is the quessentential WIS must-have watch?

I was thinking about this while riding my bicycle in to work today. I don't want to put up a poll, because I don't want to limit suggestions.

To define this further, I mean a watch that is easily attainable by any WIS, regardless of funds, gives great value, is mechanical, solid, from a quality manufacturer (or even manufacture), that should be in every WIS's collection at some point.

It doesn't have to be a piece of 'generational hand-me-down' quality either. That's why I said 'easily attainable by any WIS' and keep in mind, there are millions of WIS on the Poor Man's Watch Forum. It can be a 'froog' (i.e. frugal) but it has to be mechanical.

What are your thoughts? I'll post my vote tomorrow.
Old 11 April 2006, 02:06 PM   #2
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Been thinking about this too.
Not an easy answer.
But I think it would have to be a Rolex Submariner.
Obviously, because it's a Rolex, but it has plenty of history that most people can relate to. Not some obscure history like some others claim.
It's also a James Bond Icon. His watch ,an Aston Martin and a Martini , Shaken not stirred.
It's a mutli purpose watch, You can dress it up or down.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2006, 03:18 PM   #3
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

For a frugal... Seiko automatic dive watch, like the monster or the samurai.
Honestly... for value/history/namebrand/quality... Omega Seamaster Professional, hands down.
You can pick up a Bond or a SMP BNIB for around 1600 and it will last many lifetimes.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2006, 04:56 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Since you mentioned regardless of funds, it would have to be 16610 Sub-date. Quite easily attainable....well, at least most places, and is definitely the best of the best going out there....from virtually every point of view, including recognition and resale value.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2006, 06:44 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well for the best bang for the Pound it has to be Seiko for the Frugal range.Then anything really from the Omega sports range,and the timeless classic the Rolex SD.But if I was to choose one only, it would be a Rolex SD.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2006, 10:32 PM   #6
Atomic

I'm still up in the air on this, but it's come down to a draw between the no-date Submariner and the Black Monster. I say the BM because it's getting a cult status and really the only people who seem to wear it are WISs. Where else can you get a 200M auto dive watch with lume this bright for under $150?

But the Sub is iconic with 50+ years of history. Tough call.
Old 12 April 2006, 12:53 AM   #7
RobDad

Moon Watch?

Hmmmm, a tough one really. It took me 3 years to find a new Sub-date in London at an AD, so I don't think they are that easy to find, and at £2650 they are hardly 'affordable' to everyone.

My vote would be for the Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, as it's way cheaper with a great history, hand wound like a proper old-fashioned watch, with a gadgety chronograph, and there are plenty out there for £1000 if you are prepared to pick up a nice secondhand example.

Can't agree with the Omega Seamaster either - seem more common than Quartz Tag Heuers, and tend to be worn by people who want a Bond Watch as opposed to WIS's (although this is bound to change!)

I would say the Black Monster, but I had a bad experience with stripped threads on one, which kind of ruined it for me.

Actually, I seem unable to wear anything 'cheap' with the exception of my trusty G-shock, which is opposite to my Sub in every way - ding-proof, bomb-proof, kid-proof, ugly, cheap, lots of functions you don't need etc!
I've actually thrown that watch into walls, bounced it off walls, even kicked it and it doesn't have a mark on it - If you include quartz watches, there has to be a place for Casio!
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 04:11 AM   #8
mamas
"TRF" Member

I would agree with robdad.. i think that a speedy pro is a must... although affordability is a probelm.. This watch is an icon, a watch which is amongst the toughest mechanical watches out there and is timeless. For £750 you can get a nice used on fairly easily on flea bay.
Given that affordability is an issue then one of they seiko divers have to be on the list.. probably not the monster as i think it will date..

I would say an omega vinatge seamaster of any descrition from 1950s or 1960s is another option.. for $300 usd you can pick up a nice one, with an inhouse movement which would function perfectly for at least another 50 years. These watches are amongst the most underated by WIS's imho.
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 11:17 AM   #9
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
I have three opinions on this topic which echo some of the posts above.

You could make a case for the Soeedy Pro due to it's history. You could say Seiko Samurai or Monster, due to their affordability and the lume on the Monster. I think the monster is the ultimate froog

ND Sub...what more is there to say?
Old 12 April 2006, 12:22 PM   #10
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Any Swatch watch. Their importance in keeping the Swiss watch industry going is immense.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 12:25 PM   #11
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDad
Hmmmm, a tough one really. It took me 3 years to find a new Sub-date in London at an AD, so I don't think they are that easy to find, and at £2650 they are hardly 'affordable' to everyone.

My vote would be for the Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, as it's way cheaper with a great history, hand wound like a proper old-fashioned watch, with a gadgety chronograph, and there are plenty out there for £1000 if you are prepared to pick up a nice secondhand example.

Can't agree with the Omega Seamaster either - seem more common than Quartz Tag Heuers, and tend to be worn by people who want a Bond Watch as opposed to WIS's (although this is bound to change!)

I would say the Black Monster, but I had a bad experience with stripped threads on one, which kind of ruined it for me.

Actually, I seem unable to wear anything 'cheap' with the exception of my trusty G-shock, which is opposite to my Sub in every way - ding-proof, bomb-proof, kid-proof, ugly, cheap, lots of functions you don't need etc!
I've actually thrown that watch into walls, bounced it off walls, even kicked it and it doesn't have a mark on it - If you include quartz watches, there has to be a place for Casio!
If you're going to include quartz, and Casios in particular, I would go with this one. Radio controlled, analog and digital readouts, multiple (24) time zones, calendar, chronograph, 5 alarms, memory to store 30 numbers:

and it's under US$ 200.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 08:23 PM   #12
RobDad

The only problem with most G-shocks is how ugly they are!!!

There seems to be a move towards rounded, shiny 'organic' design in watches at the moment, from that Casio, right across to the new case for the DJ. It seems to have started with Oakley watches (ugh!), recent G-shocks, arguably the new love for 'cushion' cases like the Panerai, etc and the move to larger sizes.

Sometimes it works, mostly it doesn't. Have noticed the same with Cars - having been a kid in the 80's with Lamborghini Countach and Mk1 Golf GTI posters on my wall, alongside an Ad for a Sub-date out of National Geographic, I just can't seem to fall in love with the fat, blobby cars and watches they're making now. I like some angles! (and I'm only 37, fell like a classic car freak)!!!

Currently own a 16610, and a really simple, square 'classic' G-shock from about 10 years ago - having sold off a whole bunch of watches I just never wore (various Oris, Fortis, old Tags)

Still waiting for something new to grab my attention, but as I really don't like/need chronographs, I have the perfect Dress/Casual watch in the Sub, the perfect beater/alarm/anti-mugger watch in the Casio - (and it's been great fun trying to break the G-shock, and never succeeding!!!)
Old 12 April 2006, 10:29 PM   #13
Atomic

Sorry guys, but since we're talking a WIS watch, I can't include any quartz model in this. The only quartz that remotely gets any respect from me is the Rolex OQ. Beyond that, there's no difference to me between a Casio digital and a quartz TAG Heuer, Breitling, Chopard or any other quartz watch.

Granded, G-Shocks are outstanding value for the money, and when I was running competitively in high school I cad a Casio, but I needed that kind of accuracy for my training. I just don't consider a quartz watch, any quartz watch, as a 'must have' for a WIS.
Old 12 April 2006, 10:47 PM   #14
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Sorry guys, but since we're talking a WIS watch, I can't include any quartz model in this. The only quartz that remotely gets any respect from me is the Rolex OQ. Beyond that, there's no difference to me between a Casio digital and a quartz TAG Heuer, Breitling, Chopard or any other quartz watch.

Granded, G-Shocks are outstanding value for the money, and when I was running competitively in high school I cad a Casio, but I needed that kind of accuracy for my training. I just don't consider a quartz watch, any quartz watch, as a 'must have' for a WIS.
I don't think you'll ever get consensus on a "must have" WIS watch, John. For example, I must have an all black GMT-II; you must have an EXP-II; Daren must have some flavor of a PAM; and JJ must have, well, JJ must have whatever Rolex he happens to have on his wrist at the moment.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 12 April 2006, 10:50 PM   #15
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Quote:

Stop keep changing the goal posts.

OK then a Sub date.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2006, 10:51 PM   #16
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
I don't think you'll ever get consensus on a "must have" WIS watch, John. For example, I must have an all black GMT-II; you must have an EXP-II; Daren must have some flavor of a PAM; and JJ must have, well, JJ must have whatever Rolex he happens to have on his wrist at the moment.
No, I understand that... just wanted to get a feel for what people thought was a watch that should be in 'most' people's collections. For example, I was talking to Al off the forum and he considered a must have for any WIS as a Patek Calatrava. That's what makes this hobby so much fun, everyone has different tastes.

BTW, as far as JJ is concerned, it's not that he must have whatever Rolex is on his wrist, rather he 'must have' whatever Rolex ISN'T on his wrist.
Old 12 April 2006, 10:53 PM   #17
Rockrolex

Quote:
BTW, as far as JJ is concerned, it's not that he must have whatever Rolex is on his wrist, rather he 'must have' whatever Rolex ISN'T on his wrist.
Good point.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 13 April 2006, 04:52 AM   #18
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
No, I understand that... just wanted to get a feel for what people thought was a watch that should be in 'most' people's collections. For example, I was talking to Al off the forum and he considered a must have for any WIS as a Patek Calatrava. That's what makes this hobby so much fun, everyone has different tastes.

Keep it up, keep it up....you're still No.ONE!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 April 2006, 04:53 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Good point.
.....and you've definitely moved UP the ladder!!

Old 13 April 2006, 05:23 AM   #20
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Good question Johnny, for me it would be either a PAM 112 or Explorer 1. Keep is simple silly.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2006, 05:26 AM   #21
mike
"TRF" Member

I don't really know. I'd say a Submariner is as good as any.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2006, 04:47 AM   #22
----

Quote:
For example, I was talking to Al off the forum and he considered a must have for any WIS as a Patek Calatrava. That's what makes this hobby so much fun, everyone has different tastes.
Yes, as far as the definition of a WIS watch for me, it would be a Patek Calatrava. I was a fan of the 5117, but after seeing it in person the crown guards kind of put me off that model. The 3919 with the hobnail bezel (and no crown guards) became the new "it" watch from PP for me, but it's quite small.......even for me. The newest version is the 5119 with the size bumped to 36mm from 33.5, and now fitted with a display back. Love this one in rose gold.

This is it for me, simple, elegant, classic.
Old 14 April 2006, 05:41 AM   #23
Atomic

So Al, when can we expect to see such a piece in your collection?
Old 14 April 2006, 05:47 AM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Agreed, Al....100%

I'm not much of a "dress watch" guy, but if there's ONE watch I'd have for its sheer simplicity of beauty, elegance and aesthetics, that Calatrava would be it!! Absolutely stunning in perfection and just about every damn thing else!! And, YES, I'd have it on that strap too!!

Old 14 April 2006, 07:46 AM   #25
RobDad

OK, that's a beautiful watch even though I'm not really a dress watch guy. But what would that cost me in £? - isn't it out of most people's reach?
Old 14 April 2006, 01:21 PM   #26
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
And, YES, I'd have it on that strap too!!
You about gave me a heartattack JJ.

Old 14 April 2006, 01:23 PM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
You about gave me a heartattack JJ.
How come you guys suddenly develop a one track mind with me?

Old 14 April 2006, 01:25 PM   #28
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
How come you guys suddenly develop a one track mind with me?
Not one track at all, I am honestly surprised that you would admit to owning a watch with a strap on it.

Get your bald and old mind out of the gutter, ya freak.

Old 14 April 2006, 01:28 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Not one track at all, I am honestly surprised that you would admit to owning a watch with a strap on it.

Get your bald and old mind out of the gutter, ya freak.
Well, I've always said that I love dress watches on straps rather than on bracelets. That watch would look absolutely ridiculous on any kind of bracelet....a strap suits it to the letter T.

Old 14 April 2006, 01:29 PM   #30
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Well, I've always said that I love dress watches on straps rather than on bracelets. That watch would look absolutely ridiculous on any kind of bracelet....a strap suits it to the letter T.
I agree, just can't see you wearing anything but an EFFIN oyster on your hairy arse arms.