The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2018, 12:21 AM   #1
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Pam 90 stops working

Ive had my Pam 90 since new, maybe about 10 years now. It's not worn that much, maybe once a month in that whole time. Unfortunately, and this is my own fault for not taking action sooner, but about 5+ years ago the watch just stops working. I keep all my watches on a winder and even when theres power on the power reserve, the second hand stops and time stands still. I have a 4 bin wolf winder and the other three watches in there all keep perfect power/time.

Clearly theres something wrong and I probably could have gotten it fixed under warranty back then. Im probably screwed on that though and its on my own dime.

Im a little disappointed at how this has been working as it seems to only accumulate power when I wind the watch instead of wearing it for a full day.

Anyone else experience this before?
HyperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:37 AM   #2
nick c
Banned

I’m sorry to hear, I think it’s time for a service, it’s a 7750 movement so any good watch guy can service it, good luck 👍
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:40 AM   #3
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I’m sorry to hear, I think it’s time for a service, it’s a 7750 movement so any good watch guy can service it, good luck 👍
Thanks. I'm hoping it's not terribly expensive since I still hardly wear it that often.
Old 22 July 2018, 12:54 AM   #4
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

If you do not wear it much, trade it towards another Panerai.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 12:55 AM   #5
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris72 View Post
If you do not wear it much, trade it towards another Panerai.
I probably wouldn't wear that new one as much either. I use my submariner as my daily.
Old 22 July 2018, 01:03 AM   #6
nick c
Banned

I hope it’s an easy fix.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:09 AM   #7
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Another example of why not to use a winder. It sounds like you've worn the watch out on the winder and didn't get to enjoy it.

A service will have it back to new again, but I'd rethink putting it back in the winder when it comes back.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:48 AM   #8
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
Another example of why not to use a winder. It sounds like you've worn the watch out on the winder and didn't get to enjoy it.

A service will have it back to new again, but I'd rethink putting it back in the winder when it comes back.
The same watches have been on the winder the whole time. It's not winding 24/7. My other 3 watches in the winder (2 Rolex and one B&R). Basically you're saying the panerai can't handle the simple winding like the others can. I don't agree with that and I've been using watch winders for over 20 years without issues on any other watch. Like I said, the watch started giving me issues about 3 years into ownership. There has to be something wrong with the mechanism.
Old 22 July 2018, 10:53 AM   #9
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Any watch on a winder 24/7 is like running a auto engine 24/7. It does cause excessive wear. Luckily it is 7750 which is a great movement and can be serviced about anywhere.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 10:55 AM   #10
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Any watch on a winder 24/7 is like running a auto engine 24/7. It does cause excessive wear. Luckily it is 7750 which is a great movement and can be serviced about anywhere.
I understand that, however, it's a timed winder so it's not necessarily winding 24/7, it just happens to be in there 24/7. Like a car being parked in the garage but not always running.
Old 22 July 2018, 11:51 PM   #11
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
The same watches have been on the winder the whole time. It's not winding 24/7. My other 3 watches in the winder (2 Rolex and one B&R). Basically you're saying the panerai can't handle the simple winding like the others can. I don't agree with that and I've been using watch winders for over 20 years without issues on any other watch. Like I said, the watch started giving me issues about 3 years into ownership. There has to be something wrong with the mechanism.
What I'm saying is your watch was running for 5 years whether you wore it or not. It's not the act of winding that necessarily causes the wear (although it still does), it's the fact that the watch is running 24/7.

5 years is the beginning of the service interval for most watches.
Old 23 July 2018, 12:01 AM   #12
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I'm saying is your watch was running for 5 years whether you wore it or not. It's not the act of winding that necessarily causes the wear (although it still does), it's the fact that the watch is running 24/7.

5 years is the beginning of the service interval for most watches.
Ahhh I see what you're saying. So is it a suggestion to let a watch completely stop for a period of time if you don't plan on wearing it for a while?
Old 23 July 2018, 12:11 AM   #13
Cryten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Ahhh I see what you're saying. So is it a suggestion to let a watch completely stop for a period of time if you don't plan on wearing it for a while?
Exactly. Just let it run down and stop, it doesn't do any harm, and then you can extend your service interval.

A winder is a convenience, but it does put maximum wear on the movement as it's running all the time.
Old 23 July 2018, 12:13 AM   #14
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly. Just let it run down and stop, it doesn't do any harm, and then you can extend your service interval.

A winder is a convenience, but it does put maximum wear on the movement as it's running all the time.
I guess I should just leave the watches in there that I know I'll put in constant rotation (no pun intended).