The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2019, 04:41 PM   #1
reddog4063
"TRF" Member

Those of us who have moved from Rolex to Tudor...

Are you happy with the quality? Do you feel you have lost anything? Would you do it again?

The Tudor pieces like the 58 and the pepsi and especially the Bronze really speak to me. Thinking about picking one up in 2019.

Those who have made the leap, what feedback do you have?

**Please note, all of my posts are meant to spark discussion to make the board fun. I do not need advice and consent, I am having fun here**
reddog4063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 05:04 PM   #2
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I bought a Tudor black bay noir, 41mm, on strap, ETA movement......beautiful watch, well made, excellent finish....but the big block flat bottom case, which is on long side for me, made it uncomfortable for me. I sold it. If it fit better for me I would still have it.
Old 26 January 2019, 05:07 PM   #3
reddog4063
"TRF" Member

Thats always a worry, that the case thickness plus the bigger diameter, 43mm on the bronze, will just be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I bought a Tudor black bay noir, 41mm, on strap, ETA movement......beautiful watch, well made, excellent finish....but the big block flat bottom case, which is on long side for me, made it uncomfortable for me. I sold it. If it fit better for me I would still have it.

**Please note, all of my posts are meant to spark discussion to make the board fun. I do not need advice and consent, I am having fun here**
reddog4063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I've gone through quite a few Tudors and they are all awesome. I have nothing but good things to say about them, they are a great watch. Don't get hung up on the whole Rolex vs Tudor thing. It's truly mute.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 05:18 PM   #5
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
For me, the watches that have in-house movements are much more appealing than the ETA movement watches. The Ranger strikes me as over priced based on it's internals. Nice watch, but so are many other ETA movement watches for a lot less $$.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 05:22 PM   #6
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
No problem with quality here, in fact my ETA Tudor’s are the most accurate.
Fit and finish is first class
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
I have a ca. 1991 79090 Tudor sub......probably one of my most precise watches & very, very comfortable fit.
Old 26 January 2019, 05:49 PM   #8
unknown
"TRF" Member

I did not move to tudor. But I do own both brands cause both are very nice. Going from Rolex to Tudor is NOT a downgrade ( expect for some stupid snobs probably) It's more like discovering other interesting brands
Old 26 January 2019, 05:54 PM   #9
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
No doubt, all of the Tudors I have owned (ETA and in-house) have outperformed any Rolex I've had by 2X.

Old 26 January 2019, 06:03 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
x2.
Old 26 January 2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Shay-J
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Tried the black bay blue (eta), nice watch, quality nearly as good as omega, but not a replacement for my sub.

I would say comparing Tudor to Rolex is an unfair comparison, Tudor is obviously entry level and yes they do provide quality and good looking watches.
I would take Tudor over Breitling, but that’s personal choice.
Shay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 06:09 PM   #12
Laszlo

Entry-level is an unfair term for Tudor. That sounds cheap. You're talking about $3- to-4K+ for a watch. That's a lot of money for anyone to consider outside of this community. In some cases, insane money! So I think a more fair comparison is that Tudor is down-market from Rolex, but well within the delta of a fine and luxury watch category.

Old 26 January 2019, 06:29 PM   #13
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay-J View Post
Tried the black bay blue (eta), nice watch, quality nearly as good as omega, but not a replacement for my sub.

I would say comparing Tudor to Rolex is an unfair comparison, Tudor is obviously entry level and yes they do provide quality and good looking watches.
I would take Tudor over Breitling, but that’s personal choice.
I hope you realizes the difference between all the 5 - 10K watches is close to nothing.
It's all about marketing.
If they make it populair enough that people would pay 10K for a 5K watch ... they will eventually ask 10 K for it.

A 8K Omega, Breitling, Rolex, JLC , .. don't expect any big differences

And don't think it costs more to produce a Rolex than another watch, on the contrary with close to 1 million pieces per yer the production price must be very low.
ETA Valjoux movements are for sale between 100 and 300 .... I bet it costs Rolex no more than let's say 200-300 to make their inhouse movement

I like the brand to but don't think they are so superior
Old 26 January 2019, 06:43 PM   #14
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I hope you realizes the difference between all the 5 - 10K watches is close to nothing.
It's all about marketing.
If they make it populair enough that people would pay 10K for a 5K watch ... they will eventually ask 10 K for it.

A 8K Omega, Breitling, Rolex, JLC , .. don't expect any big differences

And don't think it costs more to produce a Rolex than another watch, on the contrary with close to 1 million pieces per yer the production price must be very low.
ETA Valjoux movements are for sale between 100 and 300 .... I bet it costs Rolex no more than let's say 200-300 to make their inhouse movement

I like the brand to but don't think they are so superior
Yeah, I totally agree with this. It's fairly clear and I can vouch on costs from a generalist perspective because I've been in product development for 20+ years. Every time I look at my Rolex or any other watch I own I just shake my head. Don't get me wrong. I love them. And although I'm not a fool, I'm actually... quite foolish.

Old 26 January 2019, 09:37 PM   #15
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

I own both, along with some Omega and Grand Seiko in the mix. I think the difference is more stylistic than anything else. Tudor watches tend to play on the periphery of style with larger cases, unique combinations of materials, etc. Perhaps for this reason, they seem to target a slightly younger audience, though not necessarily so.

In terms of quality, they are equal with different design priorities. There was a recent article out of the UK where Tudor provided journalists with a tour of Tudor's facilities in Geneva. If I recall, it was explained Tudor shares technicians from Rolex when demand requires. I can't believe these folks don't bring the same level of skill to the workbench when putting together a Tudor as opposed to when they are assembling a Rolex. Tudor's movements certainly have a more utilitarian finish, but my examples have all proven to be outstanding timekeepers--certainly not a step down in quality.

Everything else--the other differentiating factors--mostly comes down to marketing. Rolex is positioned above Tudor. I doubt you will ever see a Tudor in 904L stainless steel; by the same token, you're not likely to see a Rolex in all-titanium or bronze. If you find yourself attracted to a particular Tudor model, go for it.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 09:53 PM   #16
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

I wore a Black Bay Burgundy for 5 years straight and have now been wearing a Kermit for 2 years straight. I do not notice nor see any difference in quality between these watches. Both great in both quality and accuracy. Somehow Tudor remains a little more special to me.
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 10:49 PM   #17
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
I was quite about to buy a Black Bay chrono one year ago.

And for the amount of money, I preferred to try to find a good vintage 79270, which watch I am very satisfied of.

Why? because of the tricompax dial, because I preferred a non-riveted bracelet for the look.

Also, I have to admit, because of the crown and Rolex marking. A little bit of snobbery, then? May-be. The idea also that in case of needs, it would be easier to resell.

But indeed I was very close to the purchase of a brand new Tudor.
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 11:00 PM   #18
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Tudor fan and currently have five in the collection. Wonderful fit and finish. The in-house movement rivals all others in the collection except my Grand Seiko. They work on the metal bracelet, leather straps or NATO's. Value is exceptional and if you buy right you will not get crushed on a flip or a sale. As a comparison to Rolex it is like comparing apples and oranges. Both fruit, but different in a good way. If Tudor would have been this strong when I started with the watch hobby more than 25 years ago I might be a different collector. At least a collector with more money.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 11:06 PM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I had four in my collection which I let go recently. Many newer models were found at about 50% off and seemed to be pretty good bargains. I managed to get what I had invested in them on trade in. Did they grab me and make me feel they were grails; no. Are they decent Swiss watches; absolutely. Would I choose one over a Rolex; not if money weren't an issue. Am I content without one in the collection; for now, "yes!"

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 11:15 PM   #20
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Tudor is nice

I have had Rolex and now have the 58. I would not have purchased the Tudor if not for the new size. What I really like is the price. I always felt bad when I abused the expensive watches. This one I wear and don't care. The quality is fantastic. I love the warm glow of the gilt dial. And its not pretentious. Low key. Fun. The clasp is stealthy and modern technology. Great topic and I like your spirit of having fun dialogue.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 11:26 PM   #21
rolexdream
"TRF" Member

I have a bb58 and sub nd since i got the tudor i have hardly worn the sub. Its just a better fit and feels equal quality, even the lack of glide lock bracelet isnt an issue as i never used to adjust the sub
rolexdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 11:43 PM   #22
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
I have a BLNR and I have a 58. The quality, fit and finish and accuracy of the movement is on par with the BLNR. Granted, there are differences in construction and materials between the Rolex and the Tudor which make them different and not a complete apples to apples compairson. But all things being equal - there is nothing cheap nor inferior about the Tudor.

Today's Tudor really reminds me of the Rolex of the 5 digit era; the 316 steal, weight, all brush bracelets and even in some ways pricing.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:00 AM   #23
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Good thread. I can't really contribute yet.

Sold my 214270 a year ago because, while nice, it wasn't for me. I've also learned that while I really love watches, I'm not a watch collector, so I'm looking for a one-and-done, and it's between Grand Seiko and the BB58. So far, for my needs/lifestyle, I think the Tudor will win out, and if so then I'll be able to contribute to this thread more meaningfully.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:12 AM   #24
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I love watches. If a watch fits my needs, exudes quality, has robust construction, and features I require, I buy it.

My horological journey started w/ Patek, then Rolex, next Tudor, and finally Seiko and as well as other Swiss and German brands.

The Tudor brand has been a mainstay in my modest collection. Great references with solid construction from a brand with a rich history. What's not to like.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:19 AM   #25
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
They are great. I was not let down at all by the quality construction or performance.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:28 AM   #26
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

I have not moved to Tudor bud did purchase one. The new GMT model attracted me to the brand and I was able to acquire one with a good discount. I love it for many reasons and appreciate the differences from Rolex and also the shared DNA. I absolutely love the snowflake 'blizzard' on the gmt...
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:37 AM   #27
houls61
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Sub Date
I had a Black Bay BBN with the ETA and I’ve always regretted selling it. I wear a Sub Date most days now but I still find myself thinking about that BBN.
Tag Heuer Calibre 17 CAY2112 Chrono
houls61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:54 AM   #28
Rowlf
Banned

Tudor Submariner is still my favorite watch! The vintage look and great quality make it - for me - every bit as desirable as a Rolex Submariner.

Mine's getting a service currently. Can't wait to get it back!
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:07 AM   #29
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
I am very new to the world of watches, and started with a Tudor BB58, and am looking to pick up my very first Rolex (not necessarily a sports model).

I personally consider both to be very distinct and would be happy to own models that I really like of both.

I don’t know if I’ll ever make it to the very TOP end of the world of watches (in terms of interest and/or financial capability), but for now I am happy to be involved with these two. It’s not one or the other for me.

Have been reading and checking up on Grand Seiko as well, they look and sound awesome. Pity about the name to me though. Grand Seiko is such a mouthful. Toyota didn’t call Lexus Grand Toyota. Anyway that was pure digression....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:07 AM   #30
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
I’m just the opposite. I moved from Tudor to Rolex and have not looked back. Sold a pelagos and got into a DSSD. To me, the watches are on 2 different levels. Don’t get me wrong, Tudor is nice and tough to beat at their price point But they are a one trick pony with the BB line. Hopefully this year they venture out a bit more. But it’s hard to deny the dominance of Rolex in the sports line.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote