The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2019, 06:46 AM   #1
JacksonStone
Banned

New shortened Glidelock on YM OF

Rolex introduced a shortened Glidelock clasp this year on both the new WG YM42, as well as the RG YM40, both on the OF strap. Until now, the Glidelock has been used exclusively on diver watches since it was introduced on the Submariner and DSSD in 2008. Along with the clasp's larger size, this has led a number of Rolex wearers to say the Glidelock isn't appropriate for non-diver watches, and expressed preference for the Easylink. Others noted the greater adjustability offered by the Glidelock and said it would be a good option on other, non-diver watches, especially in a shortened form. Did Rolex listen? This latest development indicates Rolex now views the Glidelock as a useful adjustment mechanism for individuals not intending to use their watches for diving. However, the fact it is as yet limited to PM clasps on OF straps (an entirely new generation of GMTs still has the Easylink, as does the remainder of the updated YM range) raises questions about whether this will be offered on non-diver Oyster bracelets in the future.

What do you think? Do you feel the Glidelock is now a better choice for Rolex's bracelets than the Easylink? If you were against the Glidelock being on non-diver watches, does this new clasp change your mind any? Do you think this is a sign of a transition from Rolex, or are they likely to keep it relegated to divers and OF straps only?

Here's ABTW's hands-on look at the YM42 at Baselworld. Demonstration of the new Glidelock begins around 0:30.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #2
Xerxes77
Banned

Thank you for sharing......
I think it’s a good improvement
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #3
angerbot
"TRF" Member

As someone who finds themselves between sizes at some point during the day every day I'd just about kill a man for glidelock to be on every bracelet. Even with EasyLink I often find that small is too small but my wrist isn't quite swelled enough to need the full 5mm.
angerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:54 AM   #4
Brew
"TRF" Member

Folks seem to like the feature. I'm happy with a simple clasp. I never even use the easy links on my watches.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:54 AM   #5
mattesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angerbot View Post
As someone who finds themselves between sizes at some point during the day every day I'd just about kill a man for glidelock to be on every bracelet. Even with EasyLink I often find that small is too small but my wrist isn't quite swelled enough to need the full 5mm.
This!

As an owner of a 2017 YM 40 on OF I am wondering how much Rolex is going to charge me to swap the clasp? Hopefully not too bad of a beating ...
Old 26 March 2019, 07:00 AM   #6
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting this. Are we sure it is a shorter Glidelock, though? Hard to tell from the video, and on the Rolex site they just say Glidelock... I hope it is shorter and that it will spread -at Rolex Alpine glacier speed, anyway- to other models. So that maybe we can hope to see an Explorer with Glidelock and 3232 movement at Basel 2029
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:01 AM   #7
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
I think it is a great improvement! Glidelock offers an idiot-proof range of adjustment. I wish it was available on the Explorer II and my other favorites.
Old 26 March 2019, 07:02 AM   #8
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

I think the Glidelock would be a great addition to all watches and hopes Rolex moves forward with it. Adding it to the new YM 42 is definitely a step in the right direction, whether or not this indicates Rolex is going to roll it out across other lines is anyones guess. I hope they do. I love it!
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:02 AM   #9
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattesq View Post
This!

As an owner of a 2017 YM 40 on OF I am wondering how much Rolex is going to charge me to swap the clasp? Hopefully not too bad of a beating ...
Just $26,200 for a whole new watch ;-)
Old 26 March 2019, 07:04 AM   #10
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Folks seem to like the feature. I'm happy with a simple clasp. I never even use the easy links on my watches.
These are the archetypal pro and con arguments for the Glidelock on non-diver watches: those who would kill to have that level of adjustability, and those who say they have no need for it. Along those lines, the people who don't need it typically point to the larger Glidelock clasp as a reason they would prefer to stay with the Easylink.

My question for the anti-Glidelock people is, now that the Glidelock is being offered in a smaller version that appears to be the same size as the Easylink, are you against it replacing the Easylink on all watches that use an Oyster clasp? If we assume for the sake of argument that cost increase would be minimal, what reason would you have for not wanting it, aside from not feeling you need it?
Old 26 March 2019, 07:10 AM   #11
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown & Shield View Post
Thanks for posting this. Are we sure it is a shorter Glidelock, though? Hard to tell from the video, and on the Rolex site they just say Glidelock... I hope it is shorter and that it will spread -at Rolex Alpine glacier speed, anyway- to other models. So that maybe we can hope to see an Explorer with Glidelock and 3232 movement at Basel 2029
It certainly appears shorter to me. It's easier to view if you watch the video on Youtube and go full screen. The clasp is about the same length as an Easylink, and when the slider is nearly fully extended, I count fewer visible ridges than on the Sub's GL.

Zoomed screen grab from ABTW video, along with a down-and-dirty shot of my Sub GL with the slider set to the same position. Note how much adjustment remains on mine, compared to the YM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YM-GL-grab.jpg (87.4 KB, 1064 views)
File Type: jpg Sub-GL.jpg (218.4 KB, 1017 views)
Old 26 March 2019, 07:12 AM   #12
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Super smart since a bunch of us capped for that improvement this Basel. At least they got that part right. Good to see. Now they need to offer in rest if SS line ... at least with 10mm of adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:15 AM   #13
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
My question for the anti-Glidelock people is, now that the Glidelock is being offered in a smaller version that appears to be the same size as the Easylink, are you against it replacing the Easylink on all watches that use an Oyster clasp? If we assume for the sake of argument that cost increase would be minimal, what reason would you have for not wanting it, aside from not feeling you need it?
I'm not anti, but assuming the clasp doesn't add maintenance cost or increase the likelihood of requiring maintenance, I don't see a downside.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:20 AM   #14
smym18
"TRF" Member

I love the glidelock and use it on my Sub daily, and would love it on other models.

JacksonStone - remember a few months back when you got into it with someone claiming it’s impossible for your wrist to change sizes throughout the day?
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:21 AM   #15
mattesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
Just $26,200 for a whole new watch ;-)
Gee thanks!
Old 26 March 2019, 07:23 AM   #16
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Quote:
this
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:24 AM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I love the glidelock and use it on my Sub daily, and would love it on other models.

JacksonStone - remember a few months back when you got into it with someone claiming it’s impossible for your wrist to change sizes throughout the day?
Oh yeah...I remember. Intermittent edema.
Old 26 March 2019, 07:28 AM   #18
TacticaLCawacoL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sunray/Meteorite
Thanks for sharing.

In my opinion the Glidelock is the pinnacle of metal bracelet. And i think it is nice that Rolex makes it now in various size.

It should be offered by Rolex as an option on every model, ( except for those who only want hidden clasp ), even if it is an extra cost, i think that would be great if we could have that choice when buying a new Rolex.

16600/2005, 116233/2008, 214270/2014, 116234/2016, 116618LB/2017, 116200/2017, 118239/2017, 116622/2018, 326.30.40.50.02.001/2018.
TacticaLCawacoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:48 AM   #19
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Another huge advantage of the Glidelock is that it is more fail-proof: on the regular clasp, all the stress is borne by the small springbar that clicks into those shallow blind holes on the inside of the clasp, whereas in the Glidelock it is the grooves milled into the clasp that bear most of the longitudinal stress.
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:00 PM   #20
angerbot
"TRF" Member

In my (anecdotal) experience, the people who prefer glidelock are the people who wear their watches a bit tighter whereas folks who don't care/don't use easylink anyways tend to be fine with a looser fit. My watch dangling off the side of my wrist feels horribly uncomfortable to me and I almost always err on the side of too tight.
angerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:10 PM   #21
joshinbrooklyn
"TRF" Member

In addition to making adjustments throughout the day, I think the glidelock clasp solves general fitment problems for people who were previously adding extra half links or moving links from one side of the bracelet to the other.
joshinbrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:25 PM   #22
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I love it! I replaced the tin-can clasp on my 14060M with a glidelock years ago and I wouldnt have it any other way.
That glidelock micro adjustment system makes the watch so comfortable that I sometimes forget that its on my wrist.
Old 26 March 2019, 12:59 PM   #23
Cdn328is
Banned

Watch: 114060
+1 here for glidelock EVERYWHERE please! Short version as shown in the video would be ideal! I don't need the dive suit extension, but the ability to get a perfect fit in any situation is one of the best features of the clasp.
Cdn328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:00 PM   #24
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Glidelock is a superb functionality. After spending 12 hours on a flight and landing in tropical climate I feel the bloat, thus a glidelock just gives a little bit more comfort and blood circulation into my hand.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:03 PM   #25
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
Glidelock is a superb functionality. After spending 12 hours on a flight and landing in tropical climate I feel the bloat, thus a glidelock just gives a little bit more comfort and blood circulation into my hand.
I've experienced the same thing. It runs counter to the notion that it's most suited to diving, and a traveler's watch like the GMT has no need for it.
Old 26 March 2019, 02:07 PM   #26
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I've experienced the same thing. It runs counter to notion that it's most suited to diving, and a traveler's watch like the GMT has no need for it.
Also depends if those people who say it shouldn't be on every clasp actually travel. I find it functional. I do prefer traveling with my Sub over my Nautilus.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 03:30 PM   #27
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
The oysterflex daytonas need this now... yes yes.
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:05 PM   #28
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
I have small wrists at 6.5" dia, I never use the easy link extension on my GMT. In hot weather my wrist swell a little and the bracelet gets a little tight but if I use the easy link the watch becomes uncomfortably loose on me. With my sub I can get the perfect fit under all conditions. So if I had a choice it would be Glidelock, and if they make the clasp the same size as on the GMT that's perfect for me.
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:14 PM   #29
Roleplay
"TRF" Member

New shortened Glidelock on YM OF

It’s finally shorter! That’s great news. Looking forward to it. I wonder when/if the Oysterflex Daytona will feature this anytime soon. It would be awesome.

Glidelock is great, but no one really needs that large a range than is currently offered. If you have your bracelet sized properly there is much much more than enough range in such a long clasp. If we are talking about being able to wear it over a wet suit or something, then yes. So I welcome the shorter clasp on non-diver watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:23 PM   #30
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
The easylink provides enough adjustment for my need, I barely use it. Glidelock is overkill to me personally but it doesn't hurt having the extra feature so why not. If they're going to charge a grand more though, I'd rather have the easylink.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote