The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2020, 10:00 PM   #1
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

Explorer II date change

I have a 2017 Rolex explorer II. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for the date to change. By that I mean it starts to change at midnight and then by quarter after it is fully changed. Sometimes it changes completely at midnight. Is this an issue is there anything wrong with this.
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 11:35 PM   #2
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
This model features an instantaneous date change, so it should not take 15 minutes to flip over. Probably not a major issue, but I'd take it back to the AD for discussion, or reach out to Dallas RSC (Rolex Service Center) to see what they think.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:04 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay89 View Post
I have a 2017 Rolex explorer II. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes for the date to change. By that I mean it starts to change at midnight and then by quarter after it is fully changed. Sometimes it changes completely at midnight. Is this an issue is there anything wrong with this.
Try cycling the date around a few times Rolex uses a cam system possible oil on back of date wheel.And date can only change when hands have done two complete cycles around the dial. Some change a little before midnight some a little after,but if like you state takes 15 minutes thats a bit long hands could need re-setting.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:11 AM   #4
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Changing date after midnight may vary between Rolex watches of same model or different ones but they all have to change instantaneously without you being able to see it. It’s done in a blink of an eye. What you describe is completely different and not typical. I would take the watch to an authorized service center.
Old 14 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #5
Istnelane
"TRF" Member

It is not working right. My explorer 2 had this problem and it is working perfectly now after the repair by rsc.
Istnelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:56 AM   #6
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Try cycling the date around a few times Rolex uses a cam system possible oil on back of date wheel.And date can only change when hands have done two complete cycles around the dial. Some change a little before midnight some a little after,but if like you state takes 15 minutes thats a bit long hands could need re-setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:24 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The date changes on a Rolex by a flat-spring slapping the date wheel around. If there is a bit too much oil that is causing friction, rather than just lubrication, it may not fully change.

This is known to happen on the tight tolerance 4 hand movements. As the wheels continue to turn, the date wheel rides along, and into position.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything about it. Others may choose to have the movement taken apart and wiped down to solve this.
Old 14 January 2020, 09:16 PM   #8
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Other cause can be alarming, like a fake watch :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The date changes on a Rolex by a flat-spring slapping the date wheel around. If there is a bit too much oil that is causing friction, rather than just lubrication, it may not fully change.

This is known to happen on the tight tolerance 4 hand movements. As the wheels continue to turn, the date wheel rides along, and into position.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything about it. Others may choose to have the movement taken apart and wiped down to solve this.
Old 14 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

All Rolex date change is instant.

If your date is rolling over its a good indication it may not be a genuine Rolex.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote