The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2020, 12:55 AM   #1
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Rootbeer GMT - which to buy to complete my collection

Attached picture is my current collection and below are the years each GMT color way was introduced irrespective of model reference, notice I am missing the Rootbeer

1955 - blue and red - Pepsi introduced
1963 - brown and cream - Rootbeer introduced
Mid - 1970s - Black bezel introduced - I do not know the exact year, maybe someone on the community knows
1983 - Black and red - Coke introduced
1990s - the only decade since the GMT was born that a new color way was not introduced, I think Rolex was transitioning to ceramic which probably took them 10 years to implement and perfect
2005 - black ceramic introduced
2013 - black and blue ceramic - Batman introduced
2018 - black and brown - rootbeer reintroduced, I saw reintroduced because it can be considered a new color way but I will call it a Rootbeer

So the which rootbeer do I have to buy to complete the collection the vintage 1675 brown and cream with brown dial or the modern CHNR rootbeer,

I will not get both; for the same reason that I chose only one representation of black bezel 116710 ceramic over other iterations throughout the GMT history

One additional note, I would buy the Rootbeer as a TT, I like the ceramic CHNR better but it does intrigue me to try to find a good example of 1675 nipple dial on good condition probably all brown bezel but that color way is best in solid YG.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 01:50 AM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Nice, I like what your up to. I wouldn't mind adding a 5 dgt. Root beer myself. I like nipples but not on a watch, those seem more rare and hard to find. My AD had a lead on one a few months back when he found my 16710. Good luck, Happy Hunting. The solid bezel and full gold sounds terrific as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:25 AM   #3
subsky
"TRF" Member

I would consider adding the 116713LN Imho its nicer then the rootbeer. It just goes well with everything vs the rootbeer which I feel is too limited with the brown.
subsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:18 AM   #4
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ39 View Post

Attached picture is my current collection and below are the years each GMT color way was introduced irrespective of model reference, notice I am missing the Rootbeer

1955 - blue and red - Pepsi introduced
1963 - brown and cream - Rootbeer introduced
Mid - 1970s - Black bezel introduced - I do not know the exact year, maybe someone on the community knows
1983 - Black and red - Coke introduced
1990s - the only decade since the GMT was born that a new color way was not introduced, I think Rolex was transitioning to ceramic which probably took them 10 years to implement and perfect
2005 - black ceramic introduced
2013 - black and blue ceramic - Batman introduced
2018 - black and brown - rootbeer reintroduced, I saw reintroduced because it can be considered a new color way but I will call it a Rootbeer

So the which rootbeer do I have to buy to complete the collection the vintage 1675 brown and cream with brown dial or the modern CHNR rootbeer,

I will not get both; for the same reason that I chose only one representation of black bezel 116710 ceramic over other iterations throughout the GMT history

One additional note, I would buy the Rootbeer as a TT, I like the ceramic CHNR better but it does intrigue me to try to find a good example of 1675 nipple dial on good condition probably all brown bezel but that color way is best in solid YG.

Thanks in advance for your comments

You have a great collection there, congrats. I would vote for the modern and current TT vs the legacy models.

Cheers

Old 2 March 2020, 09:53 AM   #5
crbrown
"TRF" Member

I have a 2018 and am looking to get a ‘68. I got the CHNR on my 50th so now I want a matching birthyear model.
crbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:03 PM   #6
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsky View Post
I would consider adding the 116713LN Imho its nicer then the rootbeer. It just goes well with everything vs the rootbeer which I feel is too limited with the brown.

Thanks

Old 2 March 2020, 12:04 PM   #7
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
You have a great collection there, congrats. I would vote for the modern and current TT vs the legacy models.

Cheers

Thank you

Old 2 March 2020, 12:05 PM   #8
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbrown View Post
I have a 2018 and am looking to get a ‘68. I got the CHNR on my 50th so now I want a matching birthyear model.

That’s a great idea, good luck

Old 2 March 2020, 12:06 PM   #9
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
Nice, I like what your up to. I wouldn't mind adding a 5 dgt. Root beer myself. I like nipples but not on a watch, those seem more rare and hard to find. My AD had a lead on one a few months back when he found my 16710. Good luck, Happy Hunting. The solid bezel and full gold sounds terrific as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will look into the 5 digit

Old 2 March 2020, 01:09 PM   #10
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
i'd add the old root beer.....
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 03:49 PM   #11
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
I was facing the same choice and went with a 5-digit root beer (TT, brown sunburst nipple dial, YG-style all brown bezel). Took me a while to find one in really good condition but so worth the wait. While I got it because it appealed to me, I have been pleasantly surprised how many people notice and compliment it. And, FWIW, for those who say brown is limiting, what color doesn't it work with exactly? Gray? No problem. Black? That works. Navy, green, blue, or even red and yellow? All good. What a boring world where people just choose black and say it matches everything. I don't argue with the sentiment itself; it does. It's just so... ubiquitous. I prefer statement pieces to... well... stand out a little. ;)

Best of luck with your choice (the modern root beer is a looker, too, so you can't go too wrong). Cheers.
Old 2 March 2020, 08:43 PM   #12
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I would go with the new CHNR. It s a stunning watch and would sit well in your collection. Plus, I am not a big fan of the nipple dial at all.
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 12:46 PM   #13
Heathen23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711
I’d debate the new CHNR works with more clothing and styles than the very bright off orange and yellow gold of the 5 digit. I love both watches and had this same choice. I landed on the softness (to the eye) of rose gold vs yellow gold, plus the ceramic bezel, and modern movement. It just couldn’t be beat. I think the modern CHNR is just more versatile and subtle. Would happily own both because they really aren’t so similar.. This is especially clear if you are in person with both at the same time.
Heathen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 01:00 PM   #14
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane75 View Post
I was facing the same choice and went with a 5-digit root beer (TT, brown sunburst nipple dial, YG-style all brown bezel). Took me a while to find one in really good condition but so worth the wait. While I got it because it appealed to me, I have been pleasantly surprised how many people notice and compliment it. And, FWIW, for those who say brown is limiting, what color doesn't it work with exactly? Gray? No problem. Black? That works. Navy, green, blue, or even red and yellow? All good. What a boring world where people just choose black and say it matches everything. I don't argue with the sentiment itself; it does. It's just so... ubiquitous. I prefer statement pieces to... well... stand out a little. ;)

Best of luck with your choice (the modern root beer is a looker, too, so you can't go too wrong). Cheers.

Thanks for the advice, this might be the one, I have been looking at some online

Old 3 March 2020, 01:05 PM   #15
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen23 View Post
I’d debate the new CHNR works with more clothing and styles than the very bright off orange and yellow gold of the 5 digit. I love both watches and had this same choice. I landed on the softness (to the eye) of rose gold vs yellow gold, plus the ceramic bezel, and modern movement. It just couldn’t be beat. I think the modern CHNR is just more versatile and subtle. Would happily own both because they really aren’t so similar.. This is especially clear if you are in person with both at the same time.

I agree, even though they both are called Rootbeer; they are two different color ways and I might add both in time;

One concern with my collection is that I have 4 watches on oyster brackets and wanted a jubilee so I have to consider this as well, thanks for the advice