The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 April 2020, 01:10 AM   #1
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
GMT Bezel Lume Query

I was just flicking through the forum and noticed @Mario41s photo of his Batperson GMTIIc. This made me return to a thought I’ve been wrestling with for ages:

Wayyyy back in the day, reference 6542s had lumed bezels — a very logical addition to those of us who travel regularly and who yearn for such functionality.

When they brought out the 1675, the watch I now have, the switch to aluminium bezels presumably resulted in the lume being impossible.

And thus it remained until the 116710c came out.

Now, a lumed bezel is a very useful addition — especially for those of us who actually use the bezel for its intended purpose. Yet, surprisingly, lumed bezels of any description are fairly rare (the GS GMT not withstanding... I’d probably own one if it wasn’t 44mm and spring drive).

So, returning to the inspiration for this post, the open recess where the numbers of the ceramic bezel are milled:

Does anyone know why has Rolex not started to fill these mill-grooves with lume instead of platinum? And, if it’s not possible because they’re too exposed and fragile, my next question is why not create some mechanism that isn’t!

A photo of the ‘Tested Beyond Endurance’ bezel lume from the... Endurance to show that bezel lume can... well... endure:

Photo credits to: Time Tide; Pinterest: longspanbridge; rolexblog.blogspot.com; mikemullaneyphotography; and me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:22 AM   #2
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
I agree that a ceramic lumed bezel will be awesome and is a conversation that has 100% already been had at Rolex SA.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:29 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
I was just flicking through the forum and noticed @Mario41s photo of his Batperson GMTIIc. This made me return to a thought I’ve been wrestling with for ages:

Wayyyy back in the day, reference 6542s had lumed bezels — a very logical addition to those of us who travel regularly and who yearn for such functionality.

[

When they brought out the 1675, the watch I now have, the switch to aluminium bezels presumably resulted in the lume being impossible.

And thus it remained until the 116710c came out.

Now, a lumed bezel is a very useful addition — especially for those of us who actually use the bezel for its intended purpose. Yet, surprisingly, lumed bezels of any description are fairly rare (the GS GMT not withstanding... I’d probably own one if it wasn’t 44mm and spring drive).

So, returning to the inspiration for this post, the open recess where the numbers of the ceramic bezel are milled:

Does anyone know why has Rolex not started to fill these mill-grooves with lume instead of platinum? And, if it’s not possible because they’re too exposed and fragile, my next question is why not create some mechanism that isn’t!

A photo of the ‘Tested Beyond Endurance’ bezel lume from the... Endurance to show that bezel lume can... well... endure:

Photo credits to: Time Tide; Pinterest: longspanbridge; rolexblog.blogspot.com; mikemullaneyphotography; and me.

Now the very first production GMT 6542s had Bakelite inserts now these inserts were quite fragile and prone to breakage.And some of these inserts and small number of watch dials were over the new AEC radiation rules so had to be withdrawn by Rolex.And today by useing words like Platinum and Gold in the ceramic type inserts make them sound very expencive for what in the real world is just a thin PVD type coating its called marketing which means today brainwashing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 06:06 AM   #4
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And some of these inserts and small number of watch dials were over the new AEC radiation rules so had to be withdrawn by Rolex.
Oh!! That’s interesting! I never knew they were recalled!

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 11:46 AM   #5
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now the very first production GMT 6542s had Bakelite inserts now these inserts were quite fragile and prone to breakage.And some of these inserts and small number of watch dials were over the new AEC radiation rules so had to be withdrawn by Rolex.And today by useing words like Platinum and Gold in the ceramic type inserts make them sound very expencive for what in the real world is just a thin PVD type coating its called marketing which means today brainwashing.

Apparently, the dials were lumed with radium, but the bezels were lumed with Strontium-90.

Still just as dangerous, a pure beta-emitter with a dangerous decay product, Yttrium-90.

Apparently the "warm pride" Rolex felt about their GMT was just the effect of the ionizing radiation on the skin.

Is it safe to wear your Rolex? We finally have a scenario and an answer.
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 12:23 PM   #6
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I agree with you completely. I absolutely love the lumed bezel in my Pelagos. Rolex has the in-house knowledge on how to do it. Personally, I hope they give the Explorer II a lumed bezel when it inevitably gets a ceramic bezel. I don't see it for the GMT Master as it just seems too dressy to do so now. That's a more "tooly" feature, which isn't really the point of today's GMT Master.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2020, 01:32 PM   #7
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
A loomed bezel would be cool
Old 28 April 2020, 01:36 PM   #8
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I would love to see Rolex use lumed bezels for divers and GMTs. They've done it with the Tudor Pelagos after all.
I think we're seeing more lumed bezels overall these days, and the Blancpain FF (as per my avatar pic) has had one for years.
Old 28 April 2020, 11:15 PM   #9
1911 Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub date
I don't know, it doesn't appeal to me. I like them the way they are.
1911 Man is offline   Reply With Quote