The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2020, 03:19 AM   #1
matteo509
"TRF" Member

Best way to authenticate Rolex OP 39

Hello

I'm looking for help in finding the best way to authenticate a used Rolex. The watch in question is a white dial OP39 114300. There is a jewelry store down the street from me that sells a lot of Rolex watches and have a watchmaker on site (they quoted me $35 for a verbal confirmation, $75 for a written appraisal) Would an inspection by the watchmaker at the store in question be sufficient or should it be taken to an AD and how much would that cost?

Also, anything I can look for on my own? I know about laser etched crown but can't see it for the life of me. Also have reached out to the store listed on warranty card and should hear back from them tomorrow to confirm whether or not the watch was purchased there by the person listed on the card.

While I'm thinking about it, I want to confirm that the AD it was hopefully purchased from is legit. If anyone can confirm that there is indeed a Rolex AD by the name of James & Sons in Illinois/Indiana I would appreciate it!

Thank you very, would appreciate any and all advice!
matteo509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 03:27 AM   #2
emtee
"TRF" Member

Not sure I’d want some random jewellery store opening my watch. I’d take it RSC for a service quote to guarantee authenticity. Then again (and no offence) I never understand why anyone buys a watch at this level without being 100% sure of it’s authenticity first.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 03:31 AM   #3
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
To authenticate a Rolex watch, depending on the year, the serial number would be written on the inner bezel by the dial at the 6 o'clock position. As well as if you remove the bracelet, where the bracelet meets the case there will be a serial number there on the opposite side where the bracelet meets the case should be the style number. This applies for older and newer models. However there are Rolex's being made now that are essentially identical copies of the originals and the only way to tell is by opening them up and checking the movement of you're truly worried about the authenticity. Also seperate, if the watch is stolen and you take it to an AD they will call the police and not return you the watch. If the watch is a fake I don't think they would return it to you either. A way that you can check if that store is an AD is by going to Rolex's website and using the zip code function to see if they are an AD. The company you referenced may have been an AD in the past but had the Rolex line taken away. If that's the case I would recommend calling them and asking which I believe you're currently doing but they may not have access to their system of customers that had purchased Rolex's there since they're no longer an AD. I have no idea. Also try possibly looking at photos of the store online i.e. Google business, Instagram Facebook. Maybe you'll see something of the famous Rolex green sign somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 03:51 AM   #4
matteo509
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info so far. Looked on the Rolex website and James & Sons is indeed a Rolex retailer with store located in Illinois/Indiana. Now I just need to confirm that this watch was purchased there.
Old 2 May 2020, 03:55 AM   #5
matteo509
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtee View Post
Not sure I’d want some random jewellery store opening my watch. I’d take it RSC for a service quote to guarantee authenticity. Then again (and no offence) I never understand why anyone buys a watch at this level without being 100% sure of it’s authenticity first.
It is essentially a risk free purchase. I bought on ebay with free shipping and 30 days to return if I decide to do so (free return shipping also). It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up and it is my first foray into luxury watches. If all checks out it was a great deal. If anything looks fishy, will be sending it back at no charge to me.
Old 2 May 2020, 04:15 AM   #6
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo509 View Post
It is essentially a risk free purchase. I bought on ebay with free shipping and 30 days to return if I decide to do so (free return shipping also). It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up and it is my first foray into luxury watches. If all checks out it was a great deal. If anything looks fishy, will be sending it back at no charge to me.
I hope it works out for you. I have never purchased an expensive watch from eBay. As long as the seller complies with whatever he said he would, you will be ok...But that's the catch right? The seller has to cooperate. if he has a long and stellar rep, that would be in your favor.

ADs have little incentive to authenticate watches. That said, this is a lower end model which I don't think would get counterfeited very often...so you have that going for you.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 04:18 AM   #7
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
“Risk free purchase “ and “Ebay” in the same sentence is total nonsense, especially when a Rolex is involved.

Old 2 May 2020, 04:19 AM   #8
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I hope it works out for you. I have never purchased an expensive watch from eBay. As long as the seller complies with whatever he said he would, you will be ok...But that's the catch right? The seller has to cooperate. if he has a long and stellar rep, that would be in your favor.

ADs have little incentive to authenticate watches. That said, this is a lower end model which I don't think would get counterfeited very often...so you have that going for you.

There are many really good OP39 replicas. OP should proceed with caution, especially given COVID-19 and store closures. Make sure you'll be able to get it authenticated within the return window. It is very easy to obtain first rate replicas of this model (and matching fake warranty cards) that would trick all but the most discerning eye.

That being said, I'd post detailed pictures in the Watch Out! forum and folks will tell you if they see anything obvious. I would also scrub the seller's feedback and see if they have sold other watches before. Makes a big difference.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 04:24 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
There are many really good OP39 replicas.
Oh wow. Really? I guess I have not looked too hard for these.

Welp...then yes. Do your best to find a decent source to look this over. Maybe a local collector, indie watchmaker - when back to work etc.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 06:39 AM   #10
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

You could also have the possibility of it being a Frankenstein watch meaning that it is a genuine Rolex but the watchmaker or whomever assembled it used parts from different Rolex's of that same make.

Old 2 May 2020, 06:46 AM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo509 View Post
It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up
I hope this is indeed the case. Statements of this nature set my alarm bells off. As soon as you can get it to an AD or RSC the better. Unfortunately, the seller's 30 day offer won't be much good if it take you more than 30 days to get it Rolex authenticated.

Having it authenticated by a seller, unless they are an AD or a certified Rolex watchmaker is a waste of money.

I hope it works out well for you.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 06:59 AM   #12
Milsub114060
Banned

I would never ever buy a Rolex on eBay no never in a million years
Milsub114060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 09:31 AM   #13
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Both my watches came from eBay. No issues. Buy the seller not the watch as the phrase goes. If you're in Hollywood, FL there should be a Mayors or other reputable Rolex dealer nearby. Get an appraisal and authentication there.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 12:53 PM   #14
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

Best way to authenticate Rolex OP 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Oh wow. Really? I guess I have not looked too hard for these.

Welp...then yes. Do your best to find a decent source to look this over. Maybe a local collector, indie watchmaker - when back to work etc.

I know someone who would show up with a new Rolex every week and I was like how is this guy paying for all this? Like literally he had almost every model. Then I caught him on a “replica” forum talking about his great fakes. Now I know. And that spurred me to spend a bit more time researching fakes...and, I almost forgot, before I knew this, he tried to sell me a watch. Luckily, I passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:24 AM   #15
matteo509
"TRF" Member

Update. Was able to get in contact with two different locations of the AD that sold the watch in question. Both confirmed the serial number, model, purchasers name, and date purchased. One location thought I was the original purchaser at first and asked me if I lived on such and such street in such and such city. Through the magic of the internet I confirmed there is indeed a person by the same name that lives on that street in that city. Just so happens it is very near a location of the AD it was sold by. I did not purchase directly from original owner which is one reason I'm going to such great lengths to confirm. I purchased online from a brick and mortar location, which just so happens to be in an adjacent city. Does this just about confirm authenticity in everyones mind?
Old 3 May 2020, 05:37 AM   #16
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Sounds good to me but then again it's not my watch. Sounds like you're still worried though?¿

Old 3 May 2020, 05:40 AM   #17
matteo509
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theCAPE View Post
Sounds good to me but then again it's not my watch. Sounds like you're still worried though?¿

I actually feel a lot better after hearing this. There are people a lot more people on here who are more experienced with this kind of thing than me, so just interested in what others might have to say.
Old 3 May 2020, 09:04 AM   #18
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Another authenticating after purchase thread.....
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 09:19 AM   #19
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Let's get two birds stoned with the same joint here. Post some decent pics of the movement in question, and you may get some solid answers.
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote