The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 May 2020, 04:42 AM   #1
EDDOC
"TRF" Member

Has Rolex reopened yet?

?
EDDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 04:50 AM   #2
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Rolex has not been making watches since March 16, when the Coronavirus pandemic forced it to close its Swiss watchmaking factories.

It was hoped, at the time, that the closure would last only ten days, but 45 days later the manufacture remains mothballed.

There is, however, hope that a measure of normality is about return, with a statement from Rolex today saying it is taking steps to reopen.

“Our production sites are still closed for the moment but all security measures recommended by the government are currently being put in place for a gradual opening in the near future,” Rolex says.
Old 15 May 2020, 04:52 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I believe the factory is partially open. The Rolex service center in Texas is open. I do not believe Rolex USA in NYC is open. As all watches sold in the US are distributed from NY I do not believe US ADs have received shipments since the NYC shutdown. I would expect US shipments to begin very soon.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 07:09 AM   #4
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Taken from Watchpro.com (https://www.watchpro.com/rolex-reopens-swiss-headquarters-and-watchmaking-facilities/):[/url]

Rolex has reopened its headquarters and production sites in Switzerland, the company confirmed to WatchPro today, after all security measures recommended by the Swiss government had been put in place to ensure the safety of employees.

Manufacturing stopped on March 16, and Rolex has been preparing its sites for reopening since April 29 when the company said it was working towards “a gradual opening in the near future”.

Returning today means 60 days of production have been lost, and it looks like that manufacturing will not return to full capacity immediately as social distancing advice remains in place in Switzerland.

The country has been comparatively successful at limiting the spread and number of deaths to Coronavirus, which has allowed many watchmakers to return to production including Patek Philippe, Breitling, Swatch Group brands and LVMH brands. Production for most Richemont maisons remains highly restricted, according to the managing director of Montblanc Watches.

Rolex’s forced closure for 60 days represents 16.4% of its year and likely to rob the market of over 160,000 watches this year.

Rolex has released no additional details about when or if it will launch new models in 2020 and when distribution to its retail partners will return to normal.

Last edited by nighthawk77; 15 May 2020 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: incorrect url
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 07:17 AM   #5
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

I’m just praying there will be some completed pieces that were never shipped before the lockdown.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 07:19 AM   #6
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpccarguy View Post
I’m just praying there will be some completed pieces that were never shipped before the lockdown.
I'm hoping the same but then for my Patek ... praying to the watch gods
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 11:24 AM   #7
brotherlouie
"TRF" Member

Good stuff. been waiting for the Service Center in Toronto Re-open. Been waiting to be reunited with my SkyD
brotherlouie is offline   Reply With Quote