The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 May 2020, 08:22 PM   #1
lawler
"TRF" Member

14060m

Im between two Rolex Submariner 14060m’s at the moment.

One is a private seller, in NOS condition, as its been sat in a safe and has nearly all the stickers still on it from new.

It has never been serviced but comes as a full set, including original purchase receipt from the UK.

The second is from a reputable dealer, which is in pristine condition, although not NOS, but does not look polished at all and from pictures looks like it has no wear.

This has been recently serviced by the dealers watch repairer who is Rolex trained but not by Rolex directly. The dealer has confirmed that his watch repairer did not polish the watch at all when servicing the watch and he is of the opinion that it has never been polished.

This one is again a full set but does not have the original purchase receipt but the card says its originally from Italy.

My issue is that meeting the private seller is not looking likely at the moment but the dealer can send out the watch insured. Its also likely if I go for the private seller model, I am unlikely to be able to service in the near future.

They are both around the same price. My head is saying go for the dealer one as it includes a recent service, although I do like the idea of having the NOS one with original receipt etc but its not really that much difference really if I am going to be wearing daily.

Not sure which one to go for - any advice welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 08:26 PM   #2
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

I’d buy the NOS IF the seller is legit. Ask for ID, make him/her sign a contract, pay with PayPalnor credit card...
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 08:36 PM   #3
lawler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoNegro View Post
I’d buy the NOS IF the seller is legit. Ask for ID, make him/her sign a contract, pay with PayPalnor credit card...

It will be worn straight away though so the NOS value will go and it is likely to need a service as well which will be another £600 if done by Rolex...

Would you still recommend the NOS model based on this?

lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 08:39 PM   #4
Where
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawler View Post
It will be worn straight away though so the NOS value will go and it is likely to need a service as well which will be another £600 if done by Rolex...

You'll have the peace of mind of having a new watch
Where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:06 PM   #5
barneb10
"TRF" Member

Regardless of which watch you get, I'd still send it in for servicing. It's a personal preference, but any pre-owned/used watch needs to go see a servicing center. An in-house servicing at the watch store doesn't count.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:08 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Im between two Rolex Submariner 14060m’s at the moment.

One is a private seller, in NOS condition, as its been sat in a safe and has nearly all the stickers still on it from new.

It has never been serviced but comes as a full set, including original purchase receipt from the UK.

The second is from a reputable dealer, which is in pristine condition, although not NOS, but does not look polished at all and from pictures looks like it has no wear.

This has been recently serviced by the dealers watch repairer who is Rolex trained but not by Rolex directly. The dealer has confirmed that his watch repairer did not polish the watch at all when servicing the watch and he is of the opinion that it has never been polished.

This one is again a full set but does not have the original purchase receipt but the card says its originally from Italy.

My issue is that meeting the private seller is not looking likely at the moment but the dealer can send out the watch insured. Its also likely if I go for the private seller model, I am unlikely to be able to service in the near future.

They are both around the same price. My head is saying go for the dealer one as it includes a recent service, although I do like the idea of having the NOS one with original receipt etc but its not really that much difference really if I am going to be wearing daily.

Not sure which one to go for - any advice welcome!

Even a NOS is second hand from a seller and will have no Rolex warranty left now,myself would buy the one from the reputable dealer thats had a movement service. And makes no difference the now out dated warranty came from Italy, as they are all made in one place Switzerland.And in the real world because of the design of the Rolex movement they are quite easy to service than many other movements.The main and only problem is parts as Rolex has such a strangle hold in getting movement parts if ever needed.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:16 PM   #7
solesman
"TRF" Member

I’d take the pre owned one which has been serviced. The NOS will need servicing anyway.

solesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 09:17 PM   #8
3 Putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I never understood the attraction and willingness to pay a premium for a NOS watch that is in abundant supply to the market. The 14060 is not a limited addition and most likely hundreds of thousands still being worn. And if you plan to wear it straight away and not make it a safe queen, this should not be critical in your decision.

Buy the watch that gives the most value to you. I would go with the dealer. If he is a legitimate dealer and has been in business for years, you can have some comfort knowing he will stand behind the watch should something go wrong. Maybe you can pay with a credit card to ensure the watch is "as described".

Either way..good luck with the purchase. I have had a 14060M in my collection for years and I never get tired of wearing it.
Old 16 May 2020, 09:37 PM   #9
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
NOS any day!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 10:41 PM   #10
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not pay for a NOS that is out of warranty from a Private Seller that has not been serviced. A service is due to the tune of $600-800 if nothing else is found wrong. A reputable dealer is a person you can seek redress from should there be an issue and it would be easier to recover from than a private seller. You are going to wear the watch so the NOS goes out the window. I would buy from the dealer and have it shipped now so I could start my ownership. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 11:28 PM   #11
GarbanzoNegro
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, given this option, I would still go for the NOS.

If the watch goes well, I would not send it for service. If not, then I would look for a watchmaker, who would service the watch for less than RSC.

Or, you pay the official service.
GarbanzoNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 12:05 AM   #12
Where
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I would prefer to have a new watch even if it meant having to pay extra to have it serviced. If that doesn't matter to you, then you could save the money and the hassle of having it serviced and go with the dealer
Where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 01:35 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
This thread shows the appeal of a seller advertising "NOS", even though it cannot be. NOS can only come from a proper Dealer, out of his old stock, anything else is a used watch, you don't have a clue about it.

I would go for the best value for your money, best condition for what you want to pay, and don't get sidetracked from what you truly desire.
Old 17 May 2020, 03:05 AM   #14
gmtln
"TRF" Member

What is the price difference between the two pieces?

If the money is not so much the issue, I personally would go NOS purely for piece of mind that the watch is unpolished and unworn and will feel like a new watch.
Just factor in a service with the price, and I would definitely get it serviced or at minimum pressure tested. That way, you can enjoy the watch for 5+ years knowing all is good with the water-proofness.

Can the dealer be trusted regarding the second piece being serviced? One time I purchased a used car from a dealer who claimed it had been serviced when it had not.
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 07:38 AM   #15
foxlovefish
"TRF" Member

2 lines or 4 lines?
foxlovefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 07:43 AM   #16
timemaestro
Banned

At least you will have the peace of mind having a new watch.
timemaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 07:43 AM   #17
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
NOS, if it's really NOS
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 10:58 AM   #18
Litflynt912
2024 Pledge Member

Two lines is clean and the least busy sub dial you can find but a 4 liner being stamped COSC as well as having a shorter interval of release has its pros as well

I’m a sucker for a two line sub

Litflynt912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2020, 11:07 AM   #19
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I vote NOS.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote